Weekly Thread Dec. 13-19 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 12-18-2004, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ahhh, I feel for you ladies who are still pregnant and want your babies now. I promise it will happen soon.

Becca, you had me :LOL I read your post out loud to my mom. Healthy eggplant....

Niki, is your son any better? You must be so worried.

Marcos is a pumpkin. I want to eat him. He has a cleft chin and a freaking dimple in his cheek when he smiles- I swear it was put there to break my heart into a million pieces. He's nursing well, but he sleeps a lot during the day and then seems to be gassy at night, which makes him uncomfortable. And when he's uncomfortable, nobody's comfortable, you know?

I'm having a little trouble transitioning- I almost visited "I'm Pregnant", when I should be checking out "Life With a Babe"!

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#32 of 48 Old 12-18-2004, 02:48 AM

My son seems a lot better. His cough is still there but after a couple of days of antibiotics, he isn't struggling for breath anymore and is sleeping much better. He seems a lot more like himself now, if crabbier, sleepier, and in general not up to par. At least he's talking to me again and walking around, and tormenting his sister. For a while there all I got out of him were weak yes/no answers and he didn't want to get off the sofa.

I'm a bit sick. I don't feel as bad as I imagine the kids felt and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get better from here.

And as if life wasn't fun enough, I tripped over a box last night and couldn't easily get my balance - I ended up injuring something in my hip (pulling a ligament or something). A trip to the physical therapist resolved a lot of the issues (seems my hips were pulled WAY out of line) but I'm still stiff and not walking so easy.

I feel like labor is an anytime-now proposition for me. I'm hoping to get through tomorrow without going into labor, we'll see where we go from there I suppose.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#33 of 48 Old 12-18-2004, 03:38 PM

I don't have much to report but I am at work where I have DSL so I feel like I must post.

Nikijr- I am so sorry that your DS is so sick. I hope everyone is doing better in your household. you are having a sucktastic time.

past_VNE-

Tommarow is my due date and I am so certain I will not have this baby that not only am I at work today, but I am going to work half days on Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday I have an apt. at the birth center and I just know I am going and it is so depressing. However, giving up on the baby actually coming out has helped my attitude improve by about 50%

Good luck and strong labor vibes to everyone still waiting.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#34 of 48 Old 12-18-2004, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Nannymom, I want you to know that just before I went into labor I had reached this resigned state of mind that the baby was never going to come out (i mean, really, i really did think this). So maybe it is therapeutic and helpful to come to this conclusion?....

Jenelle, if it makes you feel better, I have no Christmas shopping or wrapping done because I felt too awful while pregnant and overdue, and now it is impossible because I'm recovering from birth and didn't have the foresight to figure this out!! I'm not feeling well enough even to send my dh out shopping. At least my mom has sent some presents for the kids so if the big festivities get postponed, there will be something under the tree.....

Smiles and hugs to all of you.

#35 of 48 Old 12-18-2004, 10:15 PM

nannymom...I felt the same way, I finally started telling everyone that the baby wasn't going to come out...ever! I went into labor the next morning. :LOL Good luck, I know the waiting is so hard.

Lauren I hear you on the christmas stuff...i wasn't very overdue or anything, but I just didn't have the energy or brain capacity the last few weeks I was pregnant to go shopping, and now with four kids?! Forget about it!! LOL We don't really have the $$ for it this year anyway...I was lucky enough to have some wonderful MDC mamas send us some stuff, so we will have a few gifts for each of teh kids, and I just got a card from my gma today with $60 in it so we are going to go get a tree sometime tomorrow. Yay!!

Hope all of the mamas still waiting get to meet their babies soon...I am so in love with my sweet dd, as are the kids and dh. She is so calm and sleeps a ton!! It's amazing.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#36 of 48 Old 12-19-2004, 06:21 AM

Don't fret mommas, your babies will come soon!

Niki - I'm so glad to hear your son is getting better, get some rest and feel better too.

We've had some trouble usually around 3am-6am with Julian crying. I can't do anything to comfort him, and I feel terrible. Its like a little alarm going off inside my heart and it makes me feel so bad that I can't make him feel better. Its only happened twice now, last night and his second night home. I am wondering if it is something that I have been eating. Yesterday I had broccoli with dinner, and am wondering if that could have been it? I'm not sure about these things yet. :
There are other things that I just don't know about - like burping...I can try and try and am not able to get anything out of him. I've read my Dr Sears baby book on the different ways to do it, and neither seems to work for us. Eventually he'll let out a good loud fart though. Also, his umbilical cord, I can't keep it out of the diaper. :/ I've folded them down, but when I go to change him the diaper has either moved up over it, or has been pushing up on the bottom of it and irritating it. Is it supposed to bleed a little? It doesn't alot, but i've noticed a tiny bit every so often on the top of his diaper.
I'm so new at all of this.
At night he sleeps on his side sort of tucked up against me, it is so sweet and makes it easy to nurse. Whenever he wants it, he just nuzzles up against me and I wake up and feed him.
He nurses alot, probably twice an hour during the day or more, and has a perfect latch. I am so lucky.

Anyhow, just wanted to check in. I just made a big order for cloth diaper covers and can't wait until they arrive. Our diaper service starts thursday, and seriously, I can not wait to get him out of these disposables. I hate them. :

My shower swap gift still hasn't arrived. I've decided the mailman's probably stolen it.
#37 of 48 Old 12-19-2004, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Shalena- my firstborn had these kinds of issues and he was a boy. He nursed a lot in small increments and had major problems with gas in the middle of the night. I did try a lot of food elimination, and frankly can't remember anymore if it helped or not (he's almost 10 now!) because babies change so frequently that one doesn't know if you finally hit on the answer, or if something in their systems just suddenly matured. I do know it eventually resolved, and my dh and I took turns trying to console him. At times he wouldnt' nurse because that seemed to make him feel worse. Try different things. My dd loved bouncing on a big birth ball to help her feel better. Some like rocking, some swaying, some singing. There is also a gas discharge technique I picked up somewhere where you lay baby on his back and make his legs do bicycles and then gently press legs up toward his tummy (w/ knees bent). This used to relieve a lot of gas in my ds, but I think it was when he was a little older and had some meat on his bones. Can you go to a La Leche meeting to connect with other moms on some of this? Also post on Life w a Newborn or the nursing GEtting Started forums. I realize it is heartbreaking not to be able to soothe your baby!

Eliza is having the same problem with the diapers. The newborns are too small and the next size is rubbing on the cord. There has been a teeny bit of blood but as I recall this is not a big deal. I am waiting til I feel better to start the cloth because my dh is doing so much and I am not able to help at all. Don't want to add that bit of laundry to it all yet!

#38 of 48 Old 12-19-2004, 06:13 PM

Shalena,

He sounds alot like my dd was. We'd be up all night trying everything to soothe her, but nothing worked consistently. She never burped or spit up either. It's a big blur now and I honestly don't remember when or how it stopped, but it did at some point.

As for the diaper rubbing the stump, I think it's normal to have a little blood on the diaper while it's still drying out. This was happening with ds and the dr said it's nothing to worry about.
#39 of 48 Old 12-19-2004, 07:48 PM

Shalena, as long as he seems to be comfortable - don't stress out about the burping. With nursing they don't get so much air as with bottles, and some babies just don't burp or burp on their own eventually if they need to. Best of luck!
#40 of 48 Old 12-19-2004, 08:10 PM

nak

ds2 - aiden stuart is here

light labor wed @ 7:30am, turned regular/more painful around 5:30pm

progressed slowly until 2:45 am on friday morning -- at that point was at 7cm, -1 or 0 station as had a bulging bag of waters in the way. m/w recommended breaking & i agreed.

checked me an hour or two later & discovered that baby was pointing head toward scar instead of down. at 8amish no change from that really (also i had gone backwards to -3 and a "floppy" 1 or 2 -- hard to tell as cervix had moved up behind ds's head). almost gave up, but m/w & her backup m/w had idea to have me do 2 contrax in each of 4 positions while "wiggling" to encourage ds to slide up, then down & in place.

that worked some, so we went back to keeping my contrax intense (owwwwww) to "get to work". then found out head now aimed toward pubic bone. at 7:15 pm, no change ( -1 station & dialated back to almost 6) -- head still almost stuck.

decided to go for c/s. baby born 10:37pm friday. staff thought i was crazy, but was nice to me. aiden had funny shaped cone cause of wierd position -- and not little like ds1 (6 lbs. 18 in. 1 wk early). ds2: 8lbs 4oz, 20 1/2 in. & 1 wk late!

home from hospital, feeling ok, except forgot to get pain meds, so dh is out w/ ds1 getting them...it hurts when they wear off!!

hugs to all, will have more chatty post when feeling better -- oh ds2 nurses great, except that he never wants to wake to nurse. got pic of both tandem nursing
#41 of 48 Old 12-19-2004, 08:27 PM

Congratulations Carolynn!!! Welcome Aiden!!! I hope your dh gets back with the pain meds soon!
#42 of 48 Old 12-19-2004, 10:06 PM

Welcome Aiden!!

Congratulations Carolyn.

I have been keeping up with you all, I just haven't felt much like posting. Everything is going well here though. DP has been doing a great job keeping the dishes clean, food cooked etc. Of course, it helps that friends have been bringing us dinner every night! LOVE THEM! DP is a terrible cook.
Aurora is doing great. She is nursing constantly and sleeps a lot.
Lily is adjusting well too.
someone's hungry... gotta go!

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#43 of 48 Old 12-19-2004, 10:27 PM

hi all mamas.

I am so glad to be back on-line and getting caught up on all the excitement! congratulations to all moms who had their babies!

I am attaching a picture of wyatt -- cinnanonamon, you'll recognize his outfit! it is the ONLY thing we had small enough for him!! and congratulations on your new baby!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...y32/Mohat2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../SleepyBoy.jpg

nannymom -- i looked at dh at 8pm on monday night and said, "i guess we're not having him tonight" and he was born 6 1/2 hours later! i think the minute you decide it won't ever happen -- it will.

shalena -- a little blood on the cord stump is fine -- don't worry unless its pussy, green, or smelly.

nikirj -- you've had a really tough couple of weeks!

good luck to all. I've missed you!
#44 of 48 Old 12-19-2004, 10:54 PM

Congratulations Carolynn! He must seem so huge compared to your first!

Shalena - I really sympathize with the crying thing. My first had a really scream-her-lungs-out period every night for a long time. We never figured out what caused it - I don't eat dairy to begin with, and tried cutting some other stuff out, but it didn't seem to be digestion-related. We eventually figured a routine where right about when she started getting wound-up, we'd nurse, head for the shower, take a 30-min or so shower (she LOOOOVED being in the shower with me) and then nurse again. The hope was that she'd fall asleep after this second nursing, and usually it happened and she wouldn't spend a whole lot of time crying (although she was obviously upset much of that time period anyway). Her ped thought that it happened the same time every day because it was a psychological issue, and I agree - she'd get all wound up when everyone came home (we were living with my family = 7 people, we'd be at home alone or with just my dad and then everyone would start coming in and she'd just get more and more agitated).

Neither of my children bled from their cord-stumps, but it's not something to be worried about unless there's a lot of it, it smells funny, there's puss, or (most worrisome) there is a red line under the skin running from the cord straight upwards.

As for me....well, my life sucks right now. I am not so sick, but feeling a little crappy - the kids are doing quite a bit better. DS is SO crabby, I can't believe this is my son. He's been throwing tantrums, real live lie-down-and-kick or shove-stuff-around tantrums, something he's never done before. And DD has never done before. Stopping this behavior (which happens ALL THE FREAKIN TIME, anytime he is the least bit frustrated or hears something he doesn't want to, or his sister touches him, or...) is beyond my current realm of parenting knowledge, especially with how worn-out I feel right now. All I did today was run to the PO and the grocery store, and I now all I want to do is lie down and forget the world. But the kids need dinner and the house is a wreck and I may deliver any time now (see, I'm having a contraction right now, I can feel it working on my cervix and when my MW checked on Thursday, it was already a 'stretchy three' - way more open than the week before - that she could have kinda messed with if we wanted to speed labor, but we don't). There's more but I'm sick of listening to myself whine, you guys must be even more sick of hearing it.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#45 of 48 Old 12-19-2004, 11:18 PM

Hey ladies, feeling better now. Once you go the medical route it I say -- go all the way! So I'm not going to try to be superwoman about pain meds, kwim? The chocolate birthday cake & raspberries & blueberries my best friend had waiting for me at my house helped too...

Rainey -- the pics are so cute! Aiden is wearing one of the tye-dyed shirts I made him at the moment too! He keeps scratching himself and his nails are still too soft to safely file or cut so I needed something with the foldover thingies...

I cannot believe how huge he is compared to how how ds1 was -- he wore the same outfit home from the hospital as ds1, but on ds1 we had to roll up the pants 4 times! It fits ds2 loosely but nicely.

Niki -- Aiden wore the diaper you made home from the hospital -- his 1st cloth diaper! I was too wore out to deal with cding in the hospital -- I was too wore out to so much as sit up, actually... The cover wouldn't fit over it, though -- I think it might fit over some premmie prefolds. They will probably only fit for a week or so, but that's okay -- they'll go straight into his baby box after that! Good luck with the tantrums, I am actually (knock on wood :LOL) stunned at how well Ian is doing. He hadn't seen me since Wednesday or Thursday night. He thinks the baby is great & is being pretty good with "just a minute"s and letting dh take Aiden 1st so I can take Ian, etc.

I'm glad the worst of the sickness is gone in your house, that would be really stressful.

Good luck to those of you in labor, and those of you waiting. G'night!
#46 of 48 Old 12-19-2004, 11:49 PM

Dh already posted photos on his site! http://www.vulgardisplayofpower.com
#47 of 48 Old 12-20-2004, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

What wonderful pictures!! Welcome Aiden!!

#48 of 48 Old 12-20-2004, 08:21 PM

Aww! What a handsome little guy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page