Daddy Deliver's Baby in Bathroom - Owen's Amazing Homebirth! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 12-20-2004, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This morning at about 1:30am I woke for what I though would be the first of my nightly pee breaks. When I got back to bed I started feeling a cramp coming on - again totally normal. It only took a few moments before I realized this was no cramp - this was a contractions and it was a *real* one! I decided to see if it would just go away - as I had been lightly contracting at night for the past week.....but sure enought a few minutes later another one came on just as strong. Finally at about 2:15 or so I went in Ainsley's room to wake up Dan and have him join me in our room.

I grabbed my birthball and put in my new DVD of the show 24 - telling Dan to go ahead and rest and I would wake him when I needed him. But not even 15 minutes later I could tell this was going to go *MUCH* quicker then my last delivery so I woke Dan and had him call our mw. I told her the contractions were about 5 minutes apart (looking back they were more like 3) and I was sitting on the birth ball. She said she woudl get on the way and told me I could fill the tub but not get in.

I got Dan started on filling the tub and getting things ready in our room. But after about a half an hour I *really* needed him to help me through the contractions - I was having the same back pain and hip pain that I had with Ainsley. He was wonderful and I got on my knees and leaned into the bed while he held pressue on my hips and back. At about 3:30 or so I told him to go wake up his mom so she could do some of the running around getting things - the contractions were *VERY* close and I could not have him leave my side.

I needed to go the the bathroom so I went into our bath and sat on the toilet - I knew this was also a good laboring position. My water had just broken and I knew that this was the begining of the end..... I had my mil call the mw again and let her know I could tell things were progressing *very* quickly - they were still about an hour away. When the mw heard I was on the toilet she told them to have me get off to slow things down....so I got down to hands and knees on the bathroom floor (we have a big Master Bath with carpeting on one side - thank goodness!)

I knew I was in transition - the baby was begining to move down the birth canal. This was actually a very sureal time - I knew he was coming soon and told Dan to be prepared. He was totally calm and ready to go. I had downward moving contractions for about 30 minutes - when they came on I blew them out - harder and harder (I still had yet to really make a sound - just breathing) I knew *exactly* what was happening and visualized a sailboat in the water and me as the wind filling it's sail. After about 20 minutes of so of that I told Dan that it was time to push - and my MIL got back on the phone with the mw to let her know.

During this time I was totally in control and knew exactly what my body was doing - I knew I was going to start pushing and was able to easily talk Dan through what was going on in between contractions. Again - he was AMAZING and not at all freaked out by what was going to happen. I started pushing - there was no way I couldn't - and this time around it actually felt pretty good to push. For the first two pushing contractions Dan couldn't see the baby yet. I felt a tad bit discouraged - I didn't want a long pushing phase. But by the third contraction he was crowning (with my MIL still on the phone with the midwife)

By the next contractions I was able to get his whole head out - Dan was there catching our baby, and doing a GREAT job! But then I didn't have another contractions right away and I could tell Dan (and my MIL) were a little freaked out that the baby's head was there sticking out of me but the rest of his body was inside LOL! Dan kept urging me to push - but I really had no urge without a contraction so I waited. The next contraction I pushed some more as hard as I could but he was going to come out slowly - via phone the mw suggested I lift up on my right foot to help things out (I was on hands and knees) so I did - keeping my left knee down and pushing up on my right leg. Dan immediatly said he could tell a difference and urged me to stay in that postion and push some more....but again I had to wait for a contraction. Finally on I think the 3rd contraction after the head was born he came out! And Dan did an expert job of catching!

I immediatly felt GREAT!!! My mil and Dan weren't 100% sure on what to do next - Owen didn't cry right way, but was perfectly fine, great tone and just kind of mumbling. I could hear my mw trying to tell them what to do and my MIL was having a hard time coveying the info to Dan - so I took over the phone. She was shocked to hear me on the phone clear and calm as day. I was able to direct Dan and my MIL on what to do - I was already turned over at this point and had them hand me the baby skin to skin and cover us with a warm towel. We had did it! The time was 4:42am - a mere 3 hours after my first contractions!

My mw showed up about 5 mintues later - and came into the bathroom to find us all on the floor baby on mommy and Ethan and Ainsley (we woke them moments after the birth) ohhing and aweing about our new baby.

I could not have asked for a more perfect birth! I have an amazing husband whom I am so eternally greatful for! PRAISE THE LORD!!!

Owen is absoutly perfect - 9lbs 3 ozs, 22 inches long and a nursing pro! I will try and post pics tonight....right now it is time to go back to bed

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
#2 of 25 Old 12-20-2004, 02:36 PM

OMG!!!!
:

What a great Birth story!

Congratulations and Welcome to the world Owen!
#3 of 25 Old 12-20-2004, 02:53 PM

Much congratulations and welcome to Owen!!

Have you read my Owen's birthstory yet? The name Owen means "well born"

Enjoy your babymoon!
Amy
#4 of 25 Old 12-20-2004, 03:15 PM

Wow, what an awesome birth! Congratulations!!! Welcome Owen!!!
#5 of 25 Old 12-20-2004, 03:24 PM

COGRATS : : Just gotta love those easy births
#6 of 25 Old 12-20-2004, 03:26 PM

Great birth story, congrats to all
#7 of 25 Old 12-20-2004, 03:41 PM

Wonderful story! Welcome, Owen!
#8 of 25 Old 12-20-2004, 04:05 PM

Awesome! Great job to you and your DH. Welcome, Owen!
#9 of 25 Old 12-20-2004, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
INCREDIBLE! Amazing you were both so calm! (that's not the kind of laboring mama I am!!) Congratulations!!

#10 of 25 Old 12-20-2004, 06:44 PM

that sounds so wonderful! congratulations to your family and welcome, baby Owen!

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#11 of 25 Old 12-20-2004, 06:55 PM

Wow! Way to go....He's a big boy, and i cant wait to see the pictures

:
#12 of 25 Old 12-20-2004, 06:55 PM

What a wondeful, exciting birth! Welcome Owen
#13 of 25 Old 12-20-2004, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
He is well-born indeed! Congratulations!!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#14 of 25 Old 12-20-2004, 10:03 PM

Graceoc, your story got me all weepy!!

Happy babymooning, and congrats!

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#15 of 25 Old 12-21-2004, 01:56 AM

wow!!!what an awesome story....sounds like a beautiful beginning for your sweet son

WELCOME, BABY OWEN !!!

and GREAT JOB, MOM & DAD
#16 of 25 Old 12-21-2004, 02:14 AM

Well done Mama, great job. Tell DH way to go!!!Rest and enjoy you new love!!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier
#17 of 25 Old 12-21-2004, 02:16 AM

congrats! awesome story!
#18 of 25 Old 12-21-2004, 02:25 AM

Yay Grace!!!

I'm so proud of you! Can I copy your story to the RO LLL email list? I'm sure they'd like to hear how you're doing.

Oh, Off Topic, Kaaren had another boy! Oscar 7 lbs, 11 oz, 20" (after about three and a half hour labor and three pushes) She moved to CO, you know.

Anyway, : Congratulations to you and welcome to little Owen!
#19 of 25 Old 12-21-2004, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Jessica -
oh please do share with the group - I miss all you ladies - can you add me to the email loop? oconnorfamily4@yahoo.com I had no idea Kaaren was having another as wel - how wonderful!!

Here is a pic of my little guy...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...c/P1010068.jpg

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
#20 of 25 Old 12-21-2004, 09:31 PM

Awww! He's adorable! I love the sling too
#21 of 25 Old 12-21-2004, 09:41 PM

AWESOME! LOVE the story! Congrats!
#22 of 25 Old 12-21-2004, 11:32 PM

What an awesome birth story... our bodies really do know just what to do!

Owen!!!

He's a big boy! Have a great Babymoon!

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#23 of 25 Old 12-22-2004, 02:14 AM

He is just beautiful and so was your birth story! Congrats.. and give Daddy a pat on the back! What a lucky family you have
#24 of 25 Old 12-22-2004, 12:38 PM

I just popped into this forum randomly and read this story -- wow, I have tears in my eyes! How beautiful!

CONGRATULATIONS!
#25 of 25 Old 12-22-2004, 12:54 PM

Congratulations!!! What an awesome story.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page