The morning sickness thread :Puke :Puke :Puke - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 05-28-2004, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think we need a place to specifically complain about the urge and act of throwing up. I haven't actually :Puke yet, but the feeling is there almost constantly. I can't stand a lot of the food I used to eat, and I hate cooking smells. I am having a hard time bringing myself to eat veggies, too.
I just think it's so unfair that you eat something healthy for the baby and then turn around and throw it up. I mean, you could eat junk, so you wouldn't have to feel so bad when you lose it, but then you know, you'd end up keeping that! Anyway, I usually have scrambled eggs for breakfast, but I just can't handle them, so this morning I made whole wheat pasta with a cream sauce. Hope it stays down. I explained to dd that it wasn't a standard breakfast food! I think I'll have quesadillas for lunch again. They worked out good yesterday.

:Puke :Puke :Puke :Puke :Puke :Puke :Puke :Puke :Puke :Puke :Puke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 33 Old 05-28-2004, 11:06 AM

My morning sickness is just starting. I haven't :Puke yet, but I have been quite nauseous. Ugh!

Dani
#3 of 33 Old 05-28-2004, 11:33 AM

I haven't puked yet either, but I am soooooooo nauseous. I've found if I keep food in my stomach it's not as bad. The last thing I want to do when I feel queasy is eat, but it really does help.
#4 of 33 Old 05-28-2004, 07:29 PM

I'm trying to keep the nausea down with many small meals...I haven't yet actually thrown up. Last time I couldn't bear anything but the blandest food, this time (so far) I'm actually able to eat good little veggie snacks like raw veggies and steamed milk. Any suggestions for satisfying little mini-meals?
#5 of 33 Old 05-29-2004, 12:04 AM

Definitely experiencing nausea ALL DAY. Eating small meals helps!!!!!!! No vomitting yet but a lot of dry heaves today - yuck!!
#6 of 33 Old 05-29-2004, 04:17 PM

Oh yeah, I've got it bad. Yesterday I had a salad that was a little watery and the tomatoes were really ripe. Uggghhhh. SO gross.

I can't work out anymore because it makes me so sick after wards.

I don't know if I should tell you all this story or not BUT I'll tell you anyways because its soooo damn sickening. You all know that in the tropics we tend to have a little bit of a bug problem right? Especially cockroaches. There's no escaping it, no matter how clean you are, they will come, especially if you live in the more lush areas like we do....Anyway, dh had left an empty Starbucks cup from his iced thai espresso on the lanai. Yesterday morning I went to go throw it away and there were about 30 dead baby cockroaches floating in the 1/2 inch on coffee left in the cup!!!!

OMG! I am still barfing over that one. Ugghhhh!!!! SO paralyzingly disgusting. Help!

Ok, I might have barfed from that one before, but it certainly doesn't help when you are battling m/s.
#7 of 33 Old 05-29-2004, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

I am having major food aversions. Almost ever single food in the world makes me wanna barf. It really sucks. And I am worried because I have the feeling you get when you go all day without eating. I really don't think I'm eating enough for all of us.
#8 of 33 Old 06-01-2004, 01:05 AM

P&A- I know what you mean about not eating all day, it feel almost as awful.... Something that has worked well for me is a grilled cheese sandwich with good whole wheat bread and sharp white cheddar cheese (grilled with butter - crunchy). Don't know why, but it works really well with my belly.... Maybe it could work for you. Good luck!
#9 of 33 Old 06-01-2004, 09:24 AM

Me too....

Just a general nauseousness all day. I'm trying so hard to be healthy, but all that seems to taste ok is crackers and bagels. At least I try to get a little peanut butter on them for protein. I was pretty healthy before all this - lots of veggies, hummus, grilled meats, etc., so I'm hoping to get back to that soon.

Ginger ale really does seem to help, but my office is about 90% women, and they'd pick up on that in a heartbeat, so I'm leary of drinking it in the office.

My dh is laughing at me b/c of my smelling - he had an empty Odwalla juice carton in the car yesterday and the smell was just making my stomach churn.
#10 of 33 Old 06-01-2004, 10:03 AM

I'm feeling it too but not too badly. I can only stomach eating a small bit at a time. Ginger ale also helps me and I got some altoids citrus sours that helps a bit. I made some soup the other day and I found the broth to be very soothing.
#11 of 33 Old 06-01-2004, 01:37 PM

sweetpeasmom that's funny about the altoids...I'm sucking on a tangerine atloid right now!
My dh has salami in the firdge and every time Iopen the fridge I nearly barf :Puke. So gross...I find eating small meals during theday and walking a bit really helps with my nausea ...and not ever opening the fridge. What's weird is tha last pregnancy I could eat pretty much whatever now I pretty limited to very bland foods...rices, pasta, bread with a little cheese...yogurt's good and I'm living off peppermint tea.
#12 of 33 Old 06-01-2004, 03:30 PM

Today has been crazy for a variety of reasons, and all morning I felt moderately nauseated but couldn't get to food other than one little granola bar. I kept telling myself that I didn't get some food I'd be in trouble, but the nausea didn't escalate...I made it to lunch, which tasted soooo good. Grilled cheese sandwiches are the best, aren't they!

So now I'm thinking that maybe I don't need to feed this nausea, the way I did last time around. If I'd had a morning like this last time, I would have really paid the price. Has anyone had any experience like this?
#13 of 33 Old 06-02-2004, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

i tried the grilled cheese yesterday and.... yummy!!!! i havnt had one in a long time. before i got pg i was doing a low-carb thing (for health, not weight loss), and i hardly ever ate bread. now it's the one thing i eat the most! this a.m. i had french toast to get some protein.
#14 of 33 Old 06-02-2004, 11:15 AM

Hi all,

Has anybody else had to take time off work due to ms/nausea/exhaustion?

We only get 6 days a year and they don't roll over. I figure I'm going to need most of that for appointments and stuff - but man I really don't feel like being at work with this nausea. But then I think, if it's like this for 8 more weeks, then I'm really in trouble. And it's not just morning - it's blech all day long.

Sipping on caffeine free tea also seems to help.
#15 of 33 Old 06-02-2004, 11:45 PM

Oh my Goodness! That puking smiley face has me cracking up!!!

And the grilled cheese is EXACTLY what I make same ingredients, same crunchy standard! That is too funny!

I am finding that my smelling abilities are like superpowers. This morning I smelled a hint of garlic in my grape juice and proceeded with round two of dry heaves into the sink. If there had been anything in my stomach it would have come up. I vowed to throw out every item in my fridge today including the ice (which suddenly smells funny too) and de-smell the whole thing with every essential oil and baking soda way I can think of...but then I didn't have the energy. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

So it's 7:45pm and I still haven't cooked dinner. The natives (read dh and toddler) are restless...looks like another night out. Why not? You're only in your first trimester once right?
#16 of 33 Old 06-03-2004, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

well, it finally happened. I just threw up. dd is napping, luckily, though I'm almost surprised it didn't wake her (I am a loud vomiter). I have never had it burn that bad before. My throat feels so raw! The worst is what I ate: penne with cheese sauce, spicy breaded chicken burger (it's just occurring to me that this was probably the extra burning, since it was so spicy I could barely eat it, but I was hungry), and canned corn, plus I drank a big glass of milk.
Time for a shower. Then I think I'll make those cheesecake brownies I've been wanting...
#17 of 33 Old 06-03-2004, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

......... and again! At what point is this dangerous for me, baby and nursling dd? All I've kept down today is 4 pieces whole wheat butter toast and two canned pears (maybe 1 1/2). This is far from the ideal diet for a nursing mom or a pg one, let alone both! I don't remember feeling this rotten last time.
ugh!
#18 of 33 Old 06-03-2004, 09:55 PM

Count me in...I've been so miserable for 4 weeks now. I am trying to cope and trying to keep on top of it, but it is just so damn hard with a busy busy toddler. Most days I can't bring myself to cook anything. My poor dh is going to have to take out a loan to cover all the eating out expenses. I rarely puke, but have "episodes" of gagging that can lead to something coming up. Soooo gross.

The worst it when trying to brush my teeth. Just remembering it can lead to gagging and "spitting up" and then I have to start all over again. Last time it lasted until around week 14, so I have 5 more weeks to go. I guess I have no choice but to wait it out.

It is so strange what is appealing and what is appalling. And it changes daily. I can not plan at all, just have to go with my gut feeling (ha ha [very dry laugh there]).

Has anybody tried any homeopathics? I'm feeling desperate. Almonds kind of help and pretzels too, but I'm so sick of them, I have to choke them down.

Well, it does feel good to have some other people to complain to. I think my dh and family are getting tired of the pathetic person I have turned into. :
#19 of 33 Old 06-03-2004, 10:44 PM

B6 helps with m/s, try 100mg a day. Also, part of the reason it is suggested to have a really good diet before you get pg, b/c the first trimster is tough for most women! That way you have the stores in your body to make up for what you may be lacking, without totally depleting yourself. I know I didn't eat much, had m/s and hurled ALOT with dd and that is what my mw told me....
#20 of 33 Old 06-03-2004, 11:06 PM

I've been eating crystalized ginger from the health food store and it really helps at soothing my stomach. I haven't been able to eat much though.
#21 of 33 Old 06-03-2004, 11:37 PM

I've avoided this thread because I didn't have any with my first and I really didn't expect to have it this time. However I've been so sick the last week. Yesterday I spent 2 hours over the toliet. I guess having twins means double the morning sickness.
#22 of 33 Old 06-04-2004, 03:04 AM

I'm wearing sea bands every waking hour and it helps. I'm still miserable though. I really need to be eating good, too. I like preggie pops, they've helped in the past. I thought of buying ginger candies but they sound gross. Peppermint tea sounds yummy though.
#23 of 33 Old 06-04-2004, 10:07 AM

OK - question for you experienced mothers - does the m/s come and go. I feel sooooo much better today than I did last week and earlier this week. I'm just wondering if I'm really lucky enough that it's over - or if it's going to come back full force when I don't expect it.
#24 of 33 Old 06-04-2004, 10:17 AM

The crystalized ginger works for me too. Since the grilled cheese helped, I have another suggestion - Thai Kitchen Noodle Soups. They are packaged like ramen, but much healthier (not fried, rice noodles, smaller portion). I add cubed tofu and extra water.

P&A - Brownies - YUMMY! Two women had brownies at work yesterday and I almost stole them out of their hands. I am usually not a sweets person except when I am preggo. Last time it was glazed donuts, but brownies might be my thing this time!

PS - Peppermint tea does wonders for me in the AM too!
#25 of 33 Old 06-04-2004, 03:02 PM

The past few days have been awful for me - today being the absolute worst. I feel so naueseous all day long, and I am constantly gagging which usually leads to throwing up. My 2 1/2 year old is not understanding why Mommy just wants to lay on the couch all day.
#26 of 33 Old 06-04-2004, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, too bad about the brownies. i had some last night but haven't gone near them since they revisted me last night. Ugh. All I can stomach today is toast and pears. I have a prescription for diclectin, but it's $92 for 60 pills!
What really sucks is this: the brownies I actually made for myself as a birthday cake. Tomorrow is my 24th. My sister and I had planned a day together shopping, and then dh and I were going out to my favourite restaurant, where they give you a free meal and cake on your b.day. It was going to be our first date since valentine's day, and now I don't know if I'll feel up to any of it.

As far as laying on the sofa all day, I'm lucky there. DD is pretty content to putter around near me while I nap for up to an hour. At 21 months, I'm impressed!

I am so sick and miserable I am starting to regret being pg. I just keep telling myself it's worth it when I see how cute dd is.
#27 of 33 Old 06-06-2004, 11:53 PM

P&A - Happy Belated Birthday!!! I hope you are feeling better and were able to celebrate a little!
#28 of 33 Old 06-08-2004, 08:35 AM

Ugh........ still nauseous all day and low energy. Wow. Mostly, dry heaves and gagging. My mother used to say she felt like she was hungover for 3 months with her pregnancies!! But, everyone I talk to says its a good sign. I feel ok about it since I m/c'd my first pregnancy and had no symptoms with that one! I hope everyone is well.
#29 of 33 Old 06-08-2004, 07:03 PM

I just had my consult with my new midwives and one suggested a brisk walk, as it helps to "throw off" the hormones causing the nausea by getting the blood circulating.

And I thought my method of laying on the couch whining and wishing I was somebody else was gonna help . That's about all I've managed for the last 5 days.

I did some walking today and it really seemed to help-of course the hard part was getting motivated to do it.

wave.gif
#30 of 33 Old 06-11-2004, 11:06 PM

I bought a couple of homeopathic remedies the other day and they are helping somewhat. It's not a cure, for sure, but enough to take the edge off so I can function for a little while.

Also, Altoids citrus sours are helping.

The #1 thing is eating regularly something with carbs every hour or so. This has been nearly impossible to accomplish while being busy with ds all day. I just don't have the time to constantly be preparing/eating food. I think this is why the sours work - just a little jolt to the blood sugar.

This pg. has been so hard I seriously don't think I want more children after this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page