2+ times mamas, when did you need maternity clothes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-05-2004, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just wondering when I am going to need some bigger stuff. I am PG w/ #2, and it was about 13 weeks or so when my clothes got tight last time. Will it be about the same this time? I'm about a size 6, if that makes any difference. I think I'm about 6 weeks, but will know for sure next week. Oh, and has anyone tried the under the belly shorts/pants? Any reviews on them?

Thanks!
#2 of 15 Old 06-05-2004, 01:57 PM

I can't wait to see the replies! I'm pregnant with #2 also.

Last time I didn't wear maternity clothing until 7 months! This time, I'm sure it will be much sooner! I'm small and wear fitted clothing normally but last time I just bought my clothing a tad bigger/looser until I fit into maternity clothes.

I'm wondering what to do for summer clothes -- buy my normal size? Buy a size bigger?
#3 of 15 Old 06-05-2004, 09:36 PM

I'm a lot smaller this time, and I am showing quite a bit. I already have things in my wardrobe I can't wear. At 8 weeks, I look the way I did last time at 12. As far as the under belly thing, I have some yoga pants that are stretchy and I could wear them under my belly, but I find it uncomfortable. I'd rather have the support of the material over my belly. However, if you have stronger abdominal muscles, this might not be the case.
#4 of 15 Old 06-06-2004, 03:32 PM

I think it really depends. W/ #1 I started around 14 weeks, w/ #2 I grew out of my regular clothes around 8 weeks but didn't fit into mat. until around 13 weeks. This time I'm about 8 weeks and still wearing my reg. clothes BUT as of the day that I found out that I was PG I had just lost 10 pounds (there went losing the remaining 20 - huh?). Good luck and congrats on your PG!

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#5 of 15 Old 06-06-2004, 05:14 PM

hmmm... I can't really remember when I started wearing Mat. clothes with my first pregnancy, but I know that I was able to wear *some* of my regular clothes right up until her birth practically. Summer dresses are very forgiving

I have a small tummy already, but I can still button all my jeans. I'm quite small, and I started to show quite early even with my first pregnancy - I was a bit afraid that I'd have outgrown everything already!

I'm not sure what to buy yet, but I'll probably just pick up a couple of pairs of pants that I can wear with lots of different shirts. Otherwise I hope to make due with what I have for the summer. Guess we'll see what the "bump" thinks of that!
#6 of 15 Old 06-06-2004, 07:39 PM

I needed them starting at just about 6 weeks. However I've found out I'm pregnant with twins so that might make a difference. I look now like I did at 5 months with my first pregnancy.
#7 of 15 Old 06-06-2004, 11:57 PM

For my first pregnancy, I started using maternity clothes and other stretchy clothes around 4 months. I still have a little extra padding from #1 (which I am terrified about!!!!! : ) and I have already gone up a size with this one (I am 9.5 weeks).... I am not ready to wear maternity clothes yet, but I feel silly buying one size up that I probably (hopefully!) won't use again and will only fit for a month or so.
#8 of 15 Old 06-07-2004, 02:21 PM

I think I wore regular clothes (most of them anyway) for the first 4-5 months of my first pregnancy... This time I'm noticing some of my clothes are tight now and I'm 6-7 weeks. I think I'm just going to buy some forgiving larger sized clothes for the summer. They'll probably fit next summer too. I prefer the under the belly clothes, especially later on when my belly gets itchy...having the elastic on top of it just drove me nuts last time. Overalls/jumpers are very confortable, too...

Congrats on your pregnancy!
#9 of 15 Old 06-07-2004, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubysmomjess
I prefer the under the belly clothes, especially later on when my belly gets itchy...having the elastic on top of it just drove me nuts last time.
Ugggggh!!! Yes, I remember all to well that itchiness that came with high-waisted mat. pants & those dreadful tummy panels!!

Low-risers all the way for me this time, baby!
#10 of 15 Old 06-07-2004, 09:33 PM

I'm only 7 weeks and am already wearing maternity clothes! I started showing very early with my first pg too, but not *this* early. I think I was around 9 or 10 weeks when I had to make the switch to maternity. So far all my shorts are from Motherhood and have the low-rise band (under the belly) and I LOVE them. They are so comfy!!
#11 of 15 Old 06-14-2004, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am 7 weeks pregnant with #4 and already wearing maternity clothes. i could fit into some of regular clothes (uncomfortably) but i like that my belly is now there for a reason. i have lost about four pounds but the belly is protruding like a bad bloating day. i would not wear the under the belly stuff but i have nursed through my last three pregnancies and don't want to show all my business when i lift my shirt up...kwim? plus after all these kids my belly is full of stretch marks and extra skin and fat. it's worth it, right? my poor body needs to be reminded.
#12 of 15 Old 06-27-2004, 02:47 PM

I was in maternity clothes by 10 weeks with my first, but this time I have clothes in a bigger size because I gained so much weight the first time. This time, I seem to be smaller than I was with him, and I haven't gained as much weight. I am just about 11 weeks now, and expect to be needing my maternity clothes in the next 2-4 weeks.
#13 of 15 Old 07-03-2004, 04:35 PM

Both times, I didn't really *need* maternity clothes till about 6 mos.

Dee, mama to Robin , Wren , Finch and baby Lark born 12/27!
#14 of 15 Old 07-26-2004, 05:28 PM

I started wearing maternity clothes around 2 to 2.5 months, but that was mainly because ANY pressure on my belly would make me physically ill .
#15 of 15 Old 07-31-2004, 12:39 AM

I needed maternity clothes around 8 weeks (baby #4). Gotta love the stares when people aske how much longer I have and I'm only 17 weeks now. My belly is huge but I've only gained a few pounds
Congrats to everyone

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page