June 6 - June 12 Thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2004, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not going to go into everything here, but I am SO not a happy camper. I had my first appt with my mw today. Now, I love my mw, she advocated for me big time when my dd was born. Turns out, she is no longer at the hosp. she was at. This is ok, as the hosp. was not that progressive, and we had to fight alot about everything. I got my way for the most part, but it was alot of work. She is now at a hosp. that is close to an hour away, and this hosp. is more backward than the first! She said not to worry, she gets what she wants, but this birth was going to be my 'healing birth' and I don't WANT to fight for everything! Plus, I have to have an u/s tomorow, b/c my cycles are long, and she wants to be sure about my dates. I told her I *know* the exact day I ovulated, yet in I go tomorow...my mw is a little more medical than I'd like, but I do like her alot. So now I am torn. I do not want to go to this hospital. There is a Birth Center in a hosp. closer, but you have to see all 4 midwives, and when you deliver, you get whoever is on call. I am so upset, if it wasn't so hot, i'd be crying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2004, 08:39 PM

Mar- sorry to hear that he isn't into it yet hopefully he'll come around soon. Mine worries all the time mainly about money and if we'll be alright, blah blah same old with him Mr. Worry wart

Tofumama- well I hope you get your way at that hospital. Dealing w/the heat ok? blah I did squat all day. Our a/c is in the basement so it's getting put in soon. I hear it's suppose to be back to "normal" Not looking forward to those future hazy hot humid days to come.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:25 PM

Tofumama,
I hate to butt in, but if you're already battling over things with your mw now (so early), what's going to happen later? IMO a mw should trust your judgement-- insisting on an u/s for dates when you're sure of when you ovulated is not a sign that she trusts that you know what's going on with your body.
Do you have any other options?

Oh, and Pam_and_Abigail.... it's terrible to not get the birth of your choice because of money.... many many mw are flexible about payments and stuff.... every pregnant woman here gets health insurance from the state (which does not cover HB) and so many women chose hospital births because they are "free".... I would never try to talk someone into a HB, but it sounds like it's important to you--- follow your dreams!

Feeling quite opionated today!
Old 06-10-2004, 04:39 PM

I agree about the birth choice/money issue! Homebirths are certainly cheaper than hospital births, so for healthy women with healthy pregnancies you'd think they would cover them just to save money. This is part of the reason we decided to stay here in Switzerland until all our kids are born. I love my midwife and our insurance covers everything. I'm afraid to give birth in the US...I know that sounds ridiculous.

I had my 2nd at home and it worked out really well. I'm the kind of person who needs to be alone during labor, and I cannot deal with it or progress with any distractions, even my husband. Last time I labored alone in our bathtub and woke up my husband up when I felt like I was in transition and he called the midwife. I hope all goes this well the 3rd time around!

My OB is doing my prenatal care until 12 weeks, and then my midwife will take over. I love my OB too. He is friends with my midwife and totally fine with my choices. I had an ultrasound at his office last week and saw the heartbeat!

In the US do they do routine ultrasounds at 12 weeks to measure the nuchal fold? It's routine over here, and I'd rather be informed and prepared if there is a potential problem, so I'm going ahead with it. Anyone else know anything about this?
Old 06-10-2004, 06:03 PM

Malama, you are absolutely right. I went to my u/s appt. today, and was 7wks (which is exactly what *I* had figured, grrr...) but I have an appt to meet a new group of mw next week. I called the hospital I had my son at (I LOVED this hospital, btw, very progressive. They call their LDR floor the Birth Center) and talked to one of the nurses for like 15 mins, told her my story, and she knew the mw I had when I delivered there! (who is now in MD : ) So she told me I would love these midwives, and gave me their #. I have a consultation to 'interview' sort of, to see if I like them, and they will be open to what I want. If this doesn't work out, I don't know what I will do...
Other than that, I feel pretty good, REALLY tired, but I have insomnia! Time to get out the Hypnobirthing tapes!

PS, Kerri, if you still are interested in Leominster, the midwives are at Montachusett Women's Health Center, which is in Leominster Hospital. I'll let you know how it goes. Hey, if you go there, maybe we could be roomates! Ha! ( actually, you get a private room, but it would be funny if we went in at the same time!)
Old 06-10-2004, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofumama
I am curious, and if I am being too forward I apologize, but isn't it early to get an u/s? I noticed alot of people getting them already, and I was never able to get one before 18wks.
My doctor doesn't normally do an u/s until 20 weeks, but because my progesterone levels were so low (I'm taking supplements now) he wants to check and make sure everything is ok.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:46 PM

It's so weird to me this time. W/my first 2 I never even considered a birth center or a midwife or a homebirth. This time I am so into the birth center idea - would really like to have a homebirth but just can't afford it (it would be aobut $2500 for the midwife that I would want to use).

Tofumama - is Leominster where you are thinking of going? Doesn't it suck that there isn't a birth center closer to us? Have you considered Wellesley?

Here is a link to the birthcenter . Isn't it beautiful? I'm going to the open house this coming week and I can't wait!

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

Old 06-10-2004, 09:58 PM

I am glad you are discussing home vs hospital vs birth center births. I *think* I want a homebirth for this baby. Our first was born at a hospital with a traditional OB. I had a birth plan, discussed my wishes and did Bradley. I ended up with an epidural after reaching 9cm and not progressing after 6 hours(actually back sliding to 7cm). It was a good experience for the most part, but I want something different. I wonder if the circumstances were different would I have had the epidural.

Soooo, our insurance doesn't cover the local/only Birth Center. I keep contemplating a homebirth, but as someone mentioned the hospital is free. I no longer work, and finances are a bit tight although we are basically debt free. DH's insurance changes in October, so perhaps they will then cover the birth center. I also have a letter drafted to obtain special payment for the birth center/midwife. Ugh - what to do...
Old 06-10-2004, 10:10 PM

I am leaning towards Leominster, b/c I had such a great experience there with my son. Its all depending on whether or not I mesh with the midwives they have...I thought about Wellesly, but its at least an hour, and to have to go to all my appts. there, with 2 little ones, and then get there for the birth...all that driving doesn't do it for me. I think Leominster is the next best thing for me, plus I know they will respect my wishes/birth plan.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:32 AM

DH and I had pretty much decided to keep our house savings for just that, but reading here brings back the nagging feeling about birthing at home. I have a friend who is a massage therapist, and she owns her own business. She recently invited a mw to share her office space, and she had been recommedning this woman to me before (she had a hb with her last and said she could help find me a good mw). My friend is also doing the doula class this weekend, and she has offered me free doula services, as well as massage during labour. But I still don't know... Our hosptial is really pretty good, and the doc I have this time seems pretty decent. The only things I see being a problem are: I want to cut the cord after it stops pulsing, and I am starting to look into not having the vit K and eyedrops. I have my second appt with my ob next week, so I think I'll ask her about these things. If they aren't willing to be flexible, I'll be even more keen on hb. Also, I want to do hypnobirthing again, and I am certain I could relax better in my bedroom than at the hosp.
Last night I dreamt about labour, and it was pretty vague, but I ended up at a different hospital (not the maternity one), and all I recall is that I didn't get to hold my baby until sometime well after the birth. Dh brought her to see me, and I had my back turned, and he was describing her to me, and I felt so disconnected, I didn't even care to turn around at first. It had been hours or days, and I could remember nothing at all about even being in labour.
The bright side is we are considering moving to a cheaper apartment, and if we do that, it may be much easier to save the money for a hb. However, I d love this place, and I have a lot of friends nearby, who I hoped to have at the hb. I don't know what's going to happen. I'm just rambling now.
And hey, a part of me is a teensy but afraid of having a hb! And I'll kick myself if I land in the hosp. anyway for an induction, as I had to have one last time when my water broke, but I had no contrax.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:48 PM

Hello January Mommies!

The last few days I've been feeling much better -- provided I eat every hour or two! Last week MS was brutal but this week has been great! I have been absolutely exhausted and I think I need to work out a bit more to increase my energy level. Otherwise, I'm happy and healthy!

My second OB appt. is June 22. I'll be almost 10 weeks so I'm hoping to hear the heart beat. I heard it very early with my first child.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:42 PM

Hi everyone! I'm jumping in here a little late.

Anyway, I'm so glad to see so many homebirth mamas here! Yay! We are planning our second homebirth and our first prenantal is on Tues. This time it will be a little different because a naturopathic doctor will be attending our birth. Actually, she is still a certified midwife as well, but its cool because she can just be our regular doctor after we have the baby. She is also seeing my kids for their regular checkups and allergies, ect.

One really cool thing about her, that made me choose her - She only charges 1500 for the birth, when most midwives on this island charge 2000-2500. I asked why so low, and she said she wasn't in it for the money, she just wanted people to be able to have the kind of birth theey wanted. That is really cool to me. Especially when our last homebith in CA cost 3600!!!!! and almost killed us. Seriously, we were so dirt poor with that one, but in the end it was definelty worth it. Some things are worth more than money.

Anyway, I'm still spotting off and on. I'm not *too* worried because I bled quite heavily throughout my other pregnancies. I haven't been able to get ahold of the backup OB or my midwife though (it's a holiday weekend here), so if I spot again today I'm just going to go to the ER and ask for an ultrasound. It's sort of starting to drive me nuts not knowing. All my symptoms are still here so thats a good sign.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:32 AM

Hi, everyone!
Not much new overhere. I have my first ob appt tomorrow, thats about it. Luckily m/s only strikes at night for me and it's not that bad.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:56 PM

Hello! I just wanted to let the mama's know that sometimes there are state statutes that say that insurance has to pay a licensed midwife the same percentage or contract that they would pay the ob.

With our second our insurance said they would not cover homebirth. I was trying to have a VBAC with an ob but afterabout 4 months I realized that he was basically just feeding me lines. He told me that I was a great candidate for vbac but when I started asking questions at each visit I found that I was not going to have a VBAC. For instance, he said I would not be permitted to go past 38 weeks (ds was born at 42weeks 2 days). Also his partner had a c- section for her first baby and then scheduled a c-sec for her second baby because she "didn't want to take any chances".

Anyway, I found a great midwife and she got authorization for payment for the homebirth based on the FL statutes.

We had a great HBAC waterbirth. I am so sorry that I didn't have a midwife with my first pregnancy.

Then the insurance refused payment, but my midwife wrote them a letter about the statute and they paid her the whole amount they had agreed upon.
I am very grateful to have had such a knowledgeable mw and one who was willing to accept the contracted rate (it was $3500-$3800).

Wee are planning another HBAC for this baby but our insurance has reduced it's benefits to a 80-20 split so it will probably cost us $800 out of pocket (that we don't have, but it's worth it). Of course, with an ob I feel I would most likely end up with a c-section and that would cost us about $4000.00

Best wishes!

wave.gif
Old 06-14-2004, 01:50 PM

Feeling ok, minus the random having to puke after I eat something I craved....ugh.
This is SO OT, but when I posted it in the 'right' place, no one helped me. I want to put links in my sig, like people link to journals, charts, pics, etc. Can someone help me? You can post it or pm me. I would be so happy! TIA
Old 06-14-2004, 07:00 PM

I would help you Tofu, but I haven't the slightest idea! Do share when you learn though!

User Tag List