Names? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 12-18-2004, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, we finally decided. I won!!!!! After 14 years of wanting this name for a boy I got it!!!! Daniel James He will have the same initials as DH. Now he just has to get here so I can SEE him!!!!! (Can you tell I'm getting a little impatient!!)

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 47 Old 12-18-2004, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMum
We know the baby is a girl. Her name will be Lila. Our last name starts with an A & we usually choose two middle names. I'd love to find an I & and L name so that her initials would be LILA. Corny, huh?

So far I like Lila Indira Lee
Lila is a pretty name, that's my sister's name, she pronouces it "Leela" as opposed to Lila in Lilac. How are you pronouncing it?

I think the whole name sounds great and the initials being LILA is cute.
#33 of 47 Old 12-18-2004, 04:10 PM

I love Lila! That is one my first choices, but dh nixed it I like the spelling Leilah, I think it means moon or something in Arabic.
#34 of 47 Old 12-18-2004, 11:38 PM

Beautiful choices!!
We are going with Amalia for a girl which means walks through life with happiness and no worry - calm, enjoys the company of others and festive moments
For a boy, we like Torin which is Gaelic for chief
#35 of 47 Old 12-19-2004, 06:25 PM

We pronounce it Lie-la. I like the simple spelling of Lila My name is such a PITA b/c I always have to spell it & correct peoples odd pronunciations. I don't want to pass along that sort of hassle.

I still can't think of the middle names to add up to the initials LILA.
#36 of 47 Old 12-19-2004, 07:45 PM

Girl:
Ivy Jean
Heather Celeste
Meadow
Isabel

Boy:
Deakin
Jack
Thomas
Finn

We had a hard time agreeing on these ones. I also like Aidric for a boy and Rhiannon for a girl
#37 of 47 Old 12-19-2004, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMum
I still can't think of the middle names to add up to the initials LILA.
What's wrong with Lila Indira Lee? I think it sounds cool. I really like the name Indira.
#38 of 47 Old 12-20-2004, 04:51 PM

Dh doesn't like it But if we don't come up with something soon he won't have a choice

He is notorious for having no suggestions, but lots of vetos
#39 of 47 Old 01-02-2005, 10:12 PM

Our DD, due 1/27, will be Allison Campbell (99% sure). Campbell is MIL's maiden name, and all the Campbell men had daughters, none of whom kept their maiden names, so we wanted to keep the name alive somewhere. The 1% doubt on the name is just in case we see her and realize she is not an Allison-- Then we're really stuck!

The name Allison came to me one night around 26 weeks pg or so, I was just falling asleep and the name popped into my head out of nowhere while she was wiggling and kicking. I woke DH up and told him and he liked it- enough that he remembered it in the morning and it quickly became his number one choice! I figure the name came from "somewhere" and it is meant to be her name.

Leigh

Leigh
Mama to Allison (1/05) and Lizzie (11/07)
#40 of 47 Old 01-04-2005, 03:10 AM

We are going to name our baby girl Olivia Mae.
#41 of 47 Old 01-04-2005, 03:43 AM

So far it's......Abby , Abigael Sage (my middle name is lael hence the ael and sage for the Aquarius sign) or
.........Dylan ?
My hubby hates SOOO many names! including all of the French ones and we have a French last name and he only spoke French until his teens. So I decided to go Irish this time : You'll see the other 3 kid's names below...it gets harder every time!
#42 of 47 Old 01-04-2005, 12:18 PM

Is there anyone else who hasn't decided on a name yet? We do have a couple in mind, but really nothing firm yet. I'm also wondering if anyone else is not big on sharing names with people, particulary IRL friends or family? It's not that we worry about them not liking the names, it's more that it seems when you mention a name you're thinking of, people "call" the baby by that name as though it's already decided. Makes me think of "that's my name, but don't wear it out!" :LOL
#43 of 47 Old 01-04-2005, 02:58 PM

Kathy- We haven't told anyone IRL that we've decided. We had our list down to about 6 names, and we've shared that list and already we've gotten a few people picking apart the names. My MIL already announced that she doesn't like Allison because it's too common, and has taken to calling the baby "LizzyBell." (Elizabeth Campbell was a possibility). The first time she said LizzyBell, that name FLEW right off the list of options!

So now I'm worrying that she's going to think we picked Allison just to be contrary because she said she doesn't like it- And I am going to always have a tiny voice in my head saying "She doesn't like my daughter's name." Why I would care, I do not know!

I wish we had made up a list of fake possibilities, and that is what we will do with our next pregnancy.

Leigh
Mama to Allison (1/05) and Lizzie (11/07)
#44 of 47 Old 01-05-2005, 12:12 AM

JEEZE- names are even worse than due dates!!! I am so sick of people expecting us to know what to call this babe, sick of my parents saying Oh...ok, well... WELL WHY DID YOU BOTHER ASKING!?!?! I have completely stopped answering people - interestingly we have picked out 3 pairs of names and I freely share them with people who DON'T ask. Like you guys - ok, we've got Reider Leopold, Nolan Isak, and Isaac Stirling. I'm not looking for feedback, just sharing. Once we meet the little guy, I'm sure we'll know who he is, kwim? It's taken us 8 1/2 months to agree on these names...and we've gone through a LOT of names.

It's funny how much a name has an association for people. I think that's a lot of why people are so curious about it - maybe they do and maybe they don't want the baby name to be a certain one... maybe they can head it off - probably they can't. Your MIL KNOWS this is your decision, Leigh. So don't let her opinion disuade you from choosing the name you feel best fits your little girl. Her needs will clearly be met when the baby is left in her arms for you to go get your hair cut, or see a movie with dh or whatever...she'll have her time (perhaps many moons from now, but still...). This moment is not hers. Don't think you need to be stoic about it. I think naming babies has started to become a more important part of parenting, in the last generation. Naming ceremonies and other sacred moments that we can choose to share (after the fact, of course!), are becoming more popular. I think without too much emphasis on why, you can just back out of the situation and let her know you don't need input to make your decision as a couple. Fin.

Well, good luck mamas! I'm so relieved that we have a few choices now - we really didn't - even a week ago (although we've tossed some of these names around for a few months now). caio - andy

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#45 of 47 Old 01-05-2005, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slygrrl
Is there anyone else who hasn't decided on a name yet? We do have a couple in mind, but really nothing firm yet. I'm also wondering if anyone else is not big on sharing names with people, particulary IRL friends or family? It's not that we worry about them not liking the names, it's more that it seems when you mention a name you're thinking of, people "call" the baby by that name as though it's already decided. Makes me think of "that's my name, but don't wear it out!" :LOL
This is how I feel, but dh tells people names we think may be finalists. I hate it!! Then people (especially family) starts asking, so how is ---------? Doesn't matter what the name is. OR they feel compelled to tell us what they think of the name. Just go away and let us name our baby when the time comes... :

Proudmom
#46 of 47 Old 01-05-2005, 02:51 AM

We've had names picked out since early pregnancy, the girls name morphed slightly once, but it's quite settled. I have told no one, but husband didn't know at first it was to be a secret and told his swedish mom on the other side of the world. Since she can't see us or be part of this I guess she deserves to be in on some aspect of it...Anyway, when anyone asks I say we know but aren't telling, I have received no complaints. I say if I share names, it implies I want feedback, which I don't....I also love teasing people who ask by replying "Yes, Jezebel if its a girl and Nebuchanezzor if it's a boy...." It would not be us at all to pick some super biblicial names so it's fun to tease. They kind of believe me and give me a quizzical look when I say Jezebel, get it's a joke by the time I say Nebuchanezzor.....

One funny name story, too...I took care of a pregnant family having baby #4. They had 2 girls around the eight year old age range. The girls told everyone in church the baby's name was Elizabeth, without the parents knowledge. All pregnancy everyone asked how baby elizabeth was, and the parents were puzzled..in the end so many people knew her as baby elizabeth the parents caved and named her that much to the delight of the sneaky older sisters!

Heidi
#47 of 47 Old 01-05-2005, 04:32 AM

We are always so bad at the naming thing...how do you decide or AGREE? And that's just my hubby and I!! I can get a nice list of 6 names for each gender, no problem but he just vetos them all. I must say I don't have the MIL problem, I command respect maybe Everyone who knows me knows I do what I want. They ask what we are thinking but are just supportive of what I say I guess I'm pretty lucky But in a family with names like Shoughy, Elgin, Erie, Hughy and Murray on my side and Hugette, Arnold, Lawrence, etc on the other side (most of these are older folks) modern names sound great!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page