Pulse - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-07-2004, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone had a really high pulse rate during their pregnancies? Mine has steadily risen to about a resting rate of about 120. Sometimes it goes into the 130s and I can feel it throughout my whole body - chest pulsating, clammy feeling, altogether uncomfortable. My midwife and FP are a little worried about it, but haven't really done anything - I am not sure they know what to do. Has anyone else experienced this or know about it?? Thanks!!
#2 of 10 Old 11-08-2004, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
mine was fine a week ago when my midwife visited here, but at target later that week on their blood pressure checker i noticed my pulse was 107. i didn't even feel that racy then and since have felt some of those same feelings you are. i'm hoping it is an accaptable pregnancy symptom but i don't remember feeling this way in my first three pregnancies. i have trouble even standing still, feeling breathless and my heart is pumping fast. i get results from the glucose tolerance test soon, maybe it has to do with sugars?? i'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers and if you find out anything about why please post.
#3 of 10 Old 11-08-2004, 04:32 PM

Not that I have noticed, although I have been told in the past that my pulse was very rapid. I was told that dehyrdation could cause a fast pulse. Make sure you are drinking enough and good luck! Keep us updated!
#4 of 10 Old 11-08-2004, 05:03 PM

Throughout both of my pregnancys I had a rapid heart rate... 120 if I was sitting and doing nothing. I had to be careful it did not go above 170, which made it very hard to exercise :LOL My Dr told me that some women deveolpe a condition during pregnancy, and if my heart rate had reached 170 for any amount of time, he would have put me on meds. I'm really not sure what the condition is called, my advise is to keep an eye on it, and of course, always drink lots of water.
#5 of 10 Old 11-08-2004, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your advice. NB Mom, the only time it got close to 170 was when I was working out on the machines at the gym, so I have started swimming exclusively. It has helped keep the heart rate down. What did you do when you became uncomfortable from it spiking? I have been laying down on my left side, but it doesn't seem to do much....
#6 of 10 Old 11-09-2004, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfina
What did you do when you became uncomfortable from it spiking? I have been laying down on my left side, but it doesn't seem to do much....
I always had to breath deeply, and focus on something calming. The deep breathing helped alot (practise the breathing you will do during labor )
#7 of 10 Old 11-09-2004, 01:04 PM

I did, but I also have had problems with that since I've been sick. With my 3rd child my OB was listening for the heart beat and I told her that it was my pulse and not the baby's and she didn't believe me. :LOL So she then checked my pulse and tried to find the baby's again. I believe it was in the 120's that day. She wanted me to go to the ER by ambulance.

It is very common to have a higher pulse during pregnancy, but it's usually nothing to worry about.
#8 of 10 Old 11-10-2004, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your advice and input! AnnMarie, I can't believe your OB was going to send you to the ER via ambulance for a HR of 120!! How did you get out of it?
#9 of 10 Old 11-10-2004, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfina
Thanks for all of your advice and input! AnnMarie, I can't believe your OB was going to send you to the ER via ambulance for a HR of 120!! How did you get out of it?
I don't know, maybe it was in the 130's, that was 7 years ago so I don't remember. :LOL I simply told her I wouldn't go, to let me rest on my side for a little while and I'd be fine and could drive myself home.
#10 of 10 Old 11-14-2004, 12:46 PM

Yes, I have also had a high heart rate (intermittently) during this pregnancy!! I am planning a homebirth with 2 midwives so we are just watching things for now. I had a consult with a family practice doctor and she also stated that I should keep an eye on it and probably not do anything about it unless it goes above 160. Its been up to the 140s but not any higher. Usually, it comes down with rest. It can be a pregnancy related symptom and usually resolves after the birth!!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page