Jan. Mamas Nov. 15-21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-15-2004, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How's everyone doing this week? Here is another updated list in chronological order by due dates. If anything is wrong or if anyone is left out please let me know.

Asheville Mama (Sonya): 1/01 with #2, homebirth
Nakagain (Pamela): 1/01 with #3, planning Homebirth
Killick (Nicole): 1/03 with (BOY = Will), hospital birth
Delfina: 1/05 with #2 (BOY), planning VBAC
ccasanova (Cynthia): 1/05 with #4
Zannster (Suzanne): 1/07 with #1 (BOY)
sme (Sheila): 1/07 with #1
embens (Leenie): 1/08 with #4
stacy31(Stacy): 1/8 with #4, homebirth
Kimberlytm (Kimberly): 1/09 with #2 (BOY), birthcenter
Froggie:1/10 with #2, home waterbirth
mamajessica (Jessica): 1/11
Artemisia (Judith):1/14
Mamamaya: 1/14 with #3, planned UC
Bunches (Mary): mid Jan with #1, homebirth
Chocomoto:1/16 with #3
PamandAbigail: 1/18 with #2
PIOmama: 1/18 with #5
Peace4you (Jen): 1/19 with #1
Nathansmom (norah): 1/19 with twins (BOYS)
Majick1 (Celeste): 1/20 with #3, homebirth
Marysmama (Gen): 1/21 with #2, natural hospital birth
sweetpeasmom (Laura):1/21 Megan, 10-11-04, 1 lb 11 ozs, 13 in
AmyB: 1/22 with #2, homebirth
Babytime: 1/22 with #2 (GIRL)
Mamabeca (Andy) due 1/22 w/#2 , m/w asstd homebirth.
Zonapellucida (Heidi): 1/23 with #7 (BOY), planned UC
Jwhiskeycat: 1/24 with #1
Fromscatteredtribe: 1/26 with #4 (BOY),homebirth
Slygrrl (Kathy): 1/26 with #2, homebirth
sadkitty: 1/27 thru 2/1 with #2, waterbirth at birth center
Proudmom: 1/27 with #2 (GIRL), homebirth
Parkersmama (Kristin): 1/27 with #2, hospital VBAC
Human Being (Heidi): 1/28 with #1, homebirth
NadiaSJ (Nadia): 1/28 with #3
Azreial: 1/29 with #2 (GIRL)
HelloKitty (Kitty): 1/30 with #4
icxcnika: late Jan with #2 natural hospital birth
tofumama: late Jan with #3
Jessitron (Jessica): late Jan with #1, homebirth
Zanelee (Jennifer): late Jan with #2
Malama: late Jan with #3
Milk4two (Adria): late Jan with twins
Chiromom (Mar): late Jan with child #3, planning UC
Parthenia: late Jan/early Feb with #2 (still one of us!)
rubysmomjess(Jess): Jan with #2, homebirth

HokieGirl: ? with ? (GIRL)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2004, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I can't believe it's almost Thanksgiving! There is so much going on in the time we have left. TG, Christmas, New Years, and my dd's 2nd birthday. And there is so much to do relating to those things. Like Christmas shopping and wrapping and visiting and eating. Hee Hee.

I guess I kinda like the thought of having so much to consume my time, so it won't feeling like I'm bored waiting for the baby. However, it's also kinda of overwhelming. KWIM? On top of all the holiday responsibilities, we have to actually get things ready for our new babies.

Doing pretty well this week pregnancy wise. Got a stupid cold. Hope I get over it pretty soon.

I'm going to set up the room for the new babe this week. Get out the teeny clothes and get them washed. At least, that's the plan.

How's everyone else?
Old 11-15-2004, 02:34 PM

I'm doing ok. Since I have gotten out of the hospital I seem to have the fattest ankles in town. Feeling ok, the usual end of pregnancy stuff, tired, off balance, that sort of stuff. Very anxious to SEE him on the outside. And hold him, and snuggle him, and not have him sitting on my bladder anymore!!!!!

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
Old 11-15-2004, 03:20 PM

embens, why were you in the hospital? did i miss something? glad you're home, in any case!

I've been feeling ok, but can't keep my eyes open past 8:30 sometimes. We had a homebirth reunion picnic here- we hadn't had one for 3 years, and so i organized it. It was sooooo nice to see all the mamas and babies, but geesh, i was sooooo sleepy when i got home and spent all evening in bed.

I haven't really been getting baby things ready. I keep thinking I should wait until it's mid-december or something- I don't want it all sitting around and looking at me, lol!
Old 11-15-2004, 04:13 PM

Hey now - doing well over here, too. Big tummy feels good... I'm looking at the baby things that ARE out, and washed, and stacked, and WAITING...I think I jumped the gun on this one. I do KWYM. Anyway, that part is done and some sense of NEEDING to have it done is satisfied. Nesting?? I'm procrastinating so badly on the detailing of the walls...I think I need to find some other way of doing it. Freehand drawing is just NOT my thing, stick monkeys are probably not going to go over well in general, so it's time to explore options. IDEAS ANYONE???

Gen - THANKS SO MUCH for the awesome chrono list! What a job you did! It's a big list, and I am glad to be a part of it. Have a great monday everyone!

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
Old 11-15-2004, 07:46 PM

Glad everyone is doing well!!! I have resurfaced after months of guests and being busy as well as having morning sickness 24 hours a day. Feeling much better........ planning a homebirth.... heart rate was a little elevated on and off for 2 weeks or so........ they have me on a heart monitor to see if they can catch anything abnormal. Feeling much better the past 3-4 days though. Just saw my midwife....... feeling good about a homebirth ....... really trust my midwives........ they are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! Starting to have a little lower extremity swelling but not too bad. Blood pressure is fine though. Getting tired again.
I see that sooooooooooooooooooo many of us are having homebirths and its so empowering to me. Many of you have already had homebirths. Any suggestions for a first time labour as well as first time homebirth???? I've been listening to the hypbirth CDs.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:55 PM

Mamabeca, I think stick monkeys would be cute.
Do you have a way to borrow a projector? if you could project the picture on the wall and then outline in pencil, painting would be pretty easy.
Also, if you look at lots of the baby stuff with animals on it, most of them are crudely drawn. It's part of the style - they seem to want them to look like a kid drew them. So if you go a little cartoony and deliberately simplify them (like stick monkeys), it might be easier and still look great.

I haven't washed anything yet. I'll do that after the changing table arrives and I have a place to put the dipes. I hope that is soon enough. Pre-washing the dipes does not sound like fun.

Speaking of diapers, how do you buy them, and clothes, without knowing how big the baby will be? I'm hoping for a nice fat baby, so if a six-pounder comes out early, I'll be unprepared. Guessing the weight and growth rate is a lot harder than guessing the gender.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i would plan for the big baby but mine were 9'12"; 8'6", and 9'8"(10 days "early")

none of the 0-3 stuff fit for more than a few weeks and the bigger gowns and sleepers work fine. i have been doing cloth diapers for 6.5 years and I don't feel bad about using small sposies for that thick black meconium. it's hard to even get it off their little bottoms so for a few days I take the hand-me-down out-grown disposables from friends and don't stain my lovely cloth.

i find people overbuy the littlest stuff first time around and are happy to pass the stuff down (some with tags)

i'm having one of those weeks already.

my iron is at 10.3 (almost too low for a homebirth) and despite dh working 16 hour days (2 jobs) we subsist on free WIC food and soy milk and sale veggies and stuff. I have to wait until payday for iron supplement. my MIL and FIL come for 2 weeks on saturday. someone was using an old debit visa card for months and we didn't notice until they bought an appliance this week. we got back 300 of the goodness knows how much money they've charged on the supposed to be cancelled card...kids have stomach virus, blah blah

good stuff: i feel this baby move like a maniac now...so nice; kids drew on my belly and talked to him today; made heart shaped biscuits and veggie soup for dinner, smells so good and costs so little; I have momma friends who always listen and say the right thing!!!

look forward to hearing your stories.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:39 PM

That's terrible about your card!!!!!!! Wow! And, you thought it was a closed account??? Sorry to hear that.

Cute stories about your children drawing on your belly. Children can really lighten your heart, can't they?????

Best wishes!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2004, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromscatteredtribe
my iron is at 10.3 (almost too low for a homebirth)
My iron is that low also. I posted about it last week. Since my last appt with my midwife, i have been cooking with cast iron pans. I am not sure if it helps, but I figure it is worth a shot. I do eat meat rarely, so I am trying to eat it a bit more often (2x week). I also bought a few dark green leafy veggies (spinach/kale). There is a farmers market that I shop on Fridays for the produce, since I couldn't get in on the local CSA. It is pretty reasonable. I did purchase Floradix - phew it is expensive and I think it tastes rotten

Other than the iron, things are going well here. DH is starting to understand that I don't hate him, but that pregnancy hormones make me a bit nasty He is starting to help out more to alleviate some of "oh my god, we are going to have two babies" stress.

Thanks for listening,
Proudmom
Old 11-16-2004, 10:05 AM

Just popping in to say hi. I'm really gtting nervous about this baby, and how I am going to handle a 2 year old and an infant. I know ti can be done, lots of people have 2 kids (or more), but I feel so overwhelmed at the idea!
Old 11-16-2004, 11:54 AM

I have been so tired. Found out the other day that I am anemic and have an over active thyroid. Hoping to feel better once the new suppliments start kicking in.
So far I have done almost nothing to get ready for this new little one. I am still busy making christmas presents and such. It really makes it difficult trying to plan christmas and a birth plus DH and DS birthday all within a few weeks. I am exausted just thinking about it.
I am so looking forward to seeing what this baby looks like!!!! I am almost 32 weeks now..time has gone by so fast. He still does not have a name. DH and I can't seem to agree on one..not even close..I want to name him Felix and DH wants to name him Bertrand. I have a feeling this will end up being a last minute thing again
Old 11-16-2004, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail
I'm really gtting nervous about this baby, and how I am going to handle a 2 year old and an infant.
This is my biggest concern right now. DS will be 21 months when the baby is born. Every day I wonder just how I am going to do it - especially on the days when he needs a lot of momma love and attention.

Proudmom
Old 11-16-2004, 12:24 PM

[QUOTE=Malama]embens, why were you in the hospital? did i miss something? glad you're home, in any case!

QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it was my DD1 that brought the creeping crud home from middle school. She felt a little punky, I was throwing up for 12 hours.

I was in the hospital with dehydration because i could keep NOTHING down, not even warm flat ginger ale.

I got dosed up with like 6 or 7 bags of IV fluid and they sent me on my way after 24 hours. It could have been worse!! LOL

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
Old 11-16-2004, 02:35 PM

Hi all!
embens I'm glad you're feeling better now.

I haven't even started finding our baby clothes...and I need some more cloth diapers. fromscatteredtribe- I used sposies for the first few days too. Part of the problem though was dd was less than 7 lbs so a lot of hte diapers were too big and I was alos just learning to use them so they kept leaking.

We're having Thanksgiving at our house and we decided to let Whole Foods cater it for us. They had this deal for a full turkey dinner plus horderves and dessert for 8 people for $150, which by the time we bought all the food, came out about even. Plus it will be nice to pick up the food in the morning...play all day and heat it up in the afternoon for when people arrive. I usually love cooking but I just don't have the energy this year. I'm going to make a Vegetarian dish since my sister is a vegetarian (I eat vegetarian 90% of the time and I'm not a big fan of turkey). Hopefully it will be nice.

Christamas is a whole other deal...ugh.

PamandAbigail I'm getting a little nervous about having a 2 yo and a newborn at the same time too. Especailly since dd has been soooo dramatic lately.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Jess
Old 11-16-2004, 04:47 PM

Hello - about the 2 yo thing, my friend Mary has 3 now, 4yo ,2yo and 5mos. She calls it UNCIVILIZED. She's in our babysitting coop, although noone will babysit for all three of hers at once except their own family. Mostly it's keeping the 2yo away from the baby that's hard. There are a couple of ways of doing this. One, wear the baby at home. Front or back, depending on your comfort zone. In Africa they wear the baby on the back exclusively, using a cloth (or large thin towel) that they tie above their breasts and then around the sternum. It snuggles under the baby's bum and can go above or below their neck. The baby is snug against their back, away from the front where cooking etc. may be taking place, and away from sticky little loving fingers wanting to see if those eyes are REAL. In the front, the sling is great for the first 6-8 mos. Then they're big enough for a backpack or front carrier on the back.

Second idea is to wear the baby when you can, and keep them up high or 'isolated' when you can't. Those little chairs that you can put on the kitchen table are cool for that. Also the pack-n-play thing is good for protecting them, too. Not perfect, as some 2's are exceptional climbers... I think, actually, that there is no perfect, and subsequent babies are generally tortured to some extent by elder sibs. We do our best, but we can't control their world, even as infants.

As far as love goes, don't stress. There IS enough time for both your babies. It will be easy for the first 6-8 months, as the little one just wants to be nursed and held which you can do while reading with or playing with your older one. By the time it does get more challenging and they both actually want your attention in different directions, you will be the reigning expert in your family. People for EONS have figured this out by trial and error, and so will we.

I've been having major BH contractions lately. If I relax and get my feet up that helps, but sometimes it happens when I'm in bed, too. Somewhat shocking to DH, and I don't remember feeling them so much with #1. mmmmm... Well, my nervous mama pals, don't worry so much. Life with baby will work out just fine. Mostly little ones are curious. Get them a doll that can be their own baby and they can participate in a safe way. soft dolls are the best, but any 'lifesize' will do that they can dress, put a bottle to it's lips, change a diaper etc. It's helped some, anyway. keep taking care! Andy

Old 11-16-2004, 05:47 PM

Jess, that Whole Foods idea sounds great. I wonder if it's too late to sign up for that here.

Andy, I've had the too-many-BH problem recently too. Staying hydrated is essential (gallon/day), and taking extra calcium and magnesium stops most of the resting ones. I was at 4-6/hr all day, even while sitting, and now it's down to 2/hr or less.

Thanks for the diaper pointers, fromscatteredtribe. I will try to refrain from overloading on the little bitty fitted diapers, and just buy lots of prefolds to use while the baby is very small. Those are cheap and can be stuffed in pocket diapers later. But I just found the Kissaluv Size 0 colors!
Old 11-16-2004, 06:46 PM

Hey Jessitron - thanks so much for the support on the stick monkeys. I need to bite the bullet and, well, encouragement helps! I have only a few tips for you on diapers. 1) we used the same size diapers for 0-12 mos. They were adjustable, snaps mostly, like motherlove. They are a bit bulky in the beginning and then they fill out nicely and then - wow! They're too small... Also I didn't get hand me downs, so I use 7th Gen. chuckables for the first week while the poop is meconium and too sticky for words. Also, I bought only one small bag of newborn (6-10lbs) chuckables, and then a large bag of smalls (7-12lbs). I use them a lot when we go out, because with other kids etc., it's too hard to take the wet/stinky ones home again. It's a time thing for me. I was a lot more fastidious with cloth the first time round. I have lowered my own expectations, but I still plan on using cloth for most of our changes. For most babes, the smalls fit pretty well for the first 3 mos., some for even longer.

Thx too for the B-H advice. I do take extra Ca/Mg. every day (no dairy in diet), so it should be helping... I will be more aware of water intake . I usually drink about 8-10 x 12oz a day, but I can up that. I need a new filter on the fridge, which is a ways off, but just a motivation away! Cheers, Andy!

Old 11-16-2004, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=mamabeca]I use them a lot when we go out, because with other kids etc., it's too hard to take the wet/stinky ones home again.

that's what the older kids are for. i carry in the groceries and the babies and they carry in the stinkies. today my two year old carried his own bagged up diapers to the laundry room for daddy to dunk tonight.

as far as the juggling multiple kids thing goes, of course it is scary. i will have four under 7 years and I have just learned to lower my expectations...a LOT. I don't ALWAYS get to read that story to the four year old; i don't always change the toddler as fast as i would like. with the third pregnancy i got a tv and if pbs is on and a decent show and I'm tired i try not to feel guilty, especially if i use the time to cook clean or rest. sometimes the older ones have to help. it is better if you have encouraged your almost two's to get out a slice of bread, bring you the juice to pour, put the books back, help empty the dishwasher (that usually hinders the process though). any child over four can carry grocery bags or water jugs from the car, help bag up trash, clean with vinegar, bring you the laundry to fold in bed while you snuggle a newborn, etc.

with my second i just focused 90 percent on getting out (even a couple days postpartum) to chicago's museums and parks, anywhere my two year old would happily play so that I could just sling and nurse the baby. i had to take the bus everywhere, but it was worth it. the toddler was busy and playing and the baby could care less where he was nursed or changed, as long as we were together.

i'm sure you'll all be great parents to your growing families.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:51 PM

I think everyone gave such great advice about dealing with a toddler and baby. You'll be amazed at how much love you actually have in you, and I found that when my 2nd was born, I loved my 1st even more than before I was a mama of 2.
Remember too that newborns sleep all the time, and so that's a great time to spend time with your toddler. Newborns are also so portable, with the right sling or whatever you use.

I'm getting excited about my baby. I'm so feeling certain that i will be a mama of 3 boys- and though i thought that would really bother me, I'm happy about it.

I think Bunches asked about first time homebirths.... be prepared for anything!!! You may have an idea in your mind about how labor/ birth will be, but don't hold on to it. Labor is unpredictable. You'll do great!

Take care everyone!

Aloha,
Karen
Old 11-16-2004, 11:10 PM

things are going well here. We started childbirth classes Sunday. I feel a little foolish but this is dh first baby and I think the classes will really do him good. We have the classes with our doula and its a private class which is nice because dh had quite a few questions.

My back has been hurting me latley mostly after I've been sitting too long. I've been very lucky this time around, not very many aches and pains. Though sometimes I think I would take the backaches I had with ds over this heartburn.

DS has been giving us a hard time lately so that has made life very stressful for dh and I. He is going to his fathers this weekend, and honestly I am glad. I feel really guilty for feeling like this but we could relly use a break from him right now

I had more to say but I totally forgot, pregnancy brain is taking over

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 11-17-2004, 10:50 AM

my key oard is totally messed up. nmoret l.aetter

Old 11-17-2004, 11:05 AM

I'm miserable! I've been having pain on my right side for months now and my Urologist and OB think it's a stuck kidney stone. The pain gets so severe I just cry. It's awful.

Otherwise, the pregnancy is good. I'm hormonal and emotional and having trouble sleeping but that's to be expected I suppose!

This week the painters are here and next week the new furniture arrives. My older DD is very excited about her "new room" and, even though the baby will sleep in our room for quite some time, I'll be excited to have the nursery completed! One less thing to worry about later plus I liked having a nursery to rock, change, read to, etc. my first baby.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:20 PM

Oh babytime- that sounds really bad . I'm very sorry to hear that you are in so much pain! It does sound as if you have some good things happening that can keep your mind off the bad times. What have your docs suggested to resolve the problem? Just wondering, too, if they've looked at advanced UTI infecting the kidneys?

Old 11-18-2004, 07:41 PM

Ooooooh, the January boards over at BabyCenter have me shuddering today. There's a thread about "Is it horrible to ask for a C-section at 37 weeks (Dec 31st) so I can get a tax break?"

And all the other chicks are like "I don't think it's awful." They say, "Hmm, how much is that tax break anyway?" "I asked for the same thing, but my doctor said no." "My doc said the lawyers and insurance companies don't like him to do it that early." "Your doctor can tell whether the baby is ready."

What a bunch of crap! Wanting to force the baby out at 37 wks just for a tax deduction. How can all these chicks even consider this?
ONE woman posted "I thought it would be nice to go in December for financial reasons, but I decided that my baby's health is more important than the money." ONE out of twenty. It makes me want to cry.

Jessica
Old 11-18-2004, 08:47 PM

ugh jessitron-- that's sooooo icky!!! 37 weeks is JUST considered term.

We have a baby who made that tax break (Dec 27th) and my dh jokingly asked if it was possible that we could get it with this baby- the look i gave him could KILL..... hasn't mentioned it again!

stay away from those boards! who needs influences like that? they probably think you're crazy for doing a homebirth!
Old 11-18-2004, 09:59 PM

I haven't read any negative comments about home birth, just surprised ones. Mostly the girls don't say anything negative at all - they're all about affirming each other. They don't want to be educated.

Here's another great quote from that thread: "i think you should listen to what your doc says...we dont know whats right or wrong...but if your doc says that babies ready...then by golly he's ready... "

So we know nothing about our own bodies and the doctors are GOD. Wow, woman, get a brain and have some self-respect. No wonder there are so many lawsuits against OBs.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:18 PM

BTW, at the time that we took that tax break (12 years ago), it meant $3500 from earned income credit for our son who was born 4 days before the year was done. Obviously we were PSYCHED (also young and POOR). but i would never force it!
Old 11-19-2004, 01:14 AM

Mamabeca, I am trying to occupy my mind with happy things! I've thrown myself into preparing for the holidays and enjoying these last few weeks with just my older DD and it does get my mind off the pain! They don't give me much advice -- drink tons of water to try to flush it out, schedule an IVP for after the baby is born, etc. They will only remove it during pregnancy if I start experiencing high fevers. Basically, deal with it! Ugh!
Old 11-19-2004, 02:17 PM

Oh jeeze! It's really REALLY hard to imagine doing that to ourselves or our babies, but I guess in a lot of places scheduled C-S's are routine, and the end of year rush is enormous in places like S. Africa and Brazil. I don't know whether it's just to have the baby in time for the holidays or for the tax refund, but... incidentally Dh and I got married on 12/31 for the tax break that year, but the reality is that you get the tax break no matter what, it's just a matter of when...and to me getting it while paying for all kinds of other kid/family related stuff with the expanded family may be better in the end. At any rate, I agree (those who wouldn't must belong to a red state!) and think GET A LIFE woman! Empower yourself. You can't make up the experience that the doctor has, but they can't make up the feelings and intuition that only a mother has.

Keep up the great attitude Babytime, you are an inspiration! Embens, are you ok out there? Azreial - I hope you have an excellent weekend! Don't feel bad for needing a break from Ds, I'm sure that normally he's a wonderful boy, but everyone needs breaks and he'll have fun while you recharge. ENJOY!Andy

User Tag List