Jan. Mamas Dec.5 - Dec.11 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-09-2004, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey Laura! It's good to know you are ok, well, mostly ok, and that Megan is doing so well!!! I am so impressed with her! I kwym about the blues - don't let the pregnancy (or lack thereof) be another stimulant for it. Take that power for yourself. You did hang on to the baby long enough for her to come out with a seriously good fighting chance, and you birthed a real winner! That's all any of us can do. I wish for you that you find strength in your friendships, love in your heart for yourself, and joy in your children and family. It is all we need (besides a plump bank account) to stay happy for life! Love yourself, mama! You did a GREAT job of building a baby and are being a SUPER mom to your kids!

I'm 34 weeks today. I think I'll stay here for a few weeks, so that when I'm 2 wks late I'm still thinking that I'm just on time (40 wks). I just have a feeling...

Walked a little slower today with my pal, and we did well. I marched a little, and she kinda got into it with me. I felt good the whole way until a stray cervical kick almost dropped me to the pavement! Ugh. But that passed quickly and we finished the walk at speed and I feel really good now - a lot looser and warmed up, like.

Hey Heidi - I did the same thing with the diapes. We did figure out what dh liked and didn't like. I found out that there was only one brand of diape. I liked (a Canadian brand called MotherEase), and ANY of the aio's worked for me. SO MUCH less work!!! Wow, really. Also, I'm wondering whether we're the only ones, but we used a rubbermaid pail because we filled it about 1/2 way with water and a bit 'o vinegar. The diapes were always white and soft, would this be true in a dry pail? Also to note, we do have enough diapes to last for 1 week(we have about 60 cloth diapes total), so we only did diaper laundry on the weekend. Since they sit longer, we felt they needed to soak. Any ideas?

Andy

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2004, 02:15 PM

Ps - Malama : I think Sushi is a great way to celebrate Chanukah! I'm just not too sure about how well it goes with Latkes?! Oh, and I got my chair massager cushion! It's really nice, but it's not wonderful. The shi'atsu rollers don't move N - S at all, they only spin around. It's def. better than nothin, but someday I'll be Queen and get to buy one of those awesome chairs that does neck to tailbone...and I'll wear a georgous ball gown with pretty pink slippers and have servants (who get full benefits and excellent wages) ... SLAP me silly. Time to wake up and clean up this house!!! Cheers, andy

Old 12-09-2004, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeca
and sometimes because I just want a little bit of the old me back again
Andy, sometimes I'm afraid of the old me coming back. I like the changes that pregnancy has instigated. After the baby is out, will I want to go out drinking again? Will I not be able to sleep before midnight? Will I get angry at little things? Pregnancy has calmed me in many ways.

Heidi, you and I are the same distance along. Good job for slowing down. Oo oo, what diapers did you get?

Andy, did you have all white dipes for the wet-pail-with-vinegar thing? I'm all about the colors, and wondering whether soaking would be good for them.

Laura, thank you so much for checking in. Hurray for Megan! I hope she comes home very soon, and that bf works out for the two of you. Thank you for reminding us that we are lucky to be big and awkward and achy. And yes, great job for growing such a strong baby!
Old 12-09-2004, 03:36 PM

mamabeca,
sorry the chair isn't all you hoped it would be! I got my cushion from the yoga company- it's a cushion that's slightly slanted forward (to keep the pelvis going forward instead of slouching) and then it has a hole cut out for your tailbone to drop down instead of being compressed. I've had it only a few days but i think it's helping! At the same time, i find that sitting for any length of time is one of the worst things for me. I really need to stand, sit, lie down, move, etc.....

We did do our latkes thing- I didn't want to make them, fry them, nothing, but my dh (who wasn't raised jewish, but is) insisted that we needed to have them. SO last night he went all out- I certainly enjoyed eating them!

Res. In two kids, where i used regular old prefolds, I never soaked them or anything. We always had tons and washed infrequently. I did, on occasion put vinegar into the washer, and they were fine.
Now I splurged and bought a bunch of fuzzi bunz and I'm curious to see how fancy diapers compare. They were $$$$ so I hope they're worth it!

Heidi, I'm so glad to hear you're focusing on yourself! It's so important. I can't believe how slefish and self centered I've been this pregnancy.... maybe it's cuz I know it's the last? who knows. In any case, I'm enjoyng it as I know that there will be NO time to be selfish later. And just watch you and other "threatened" preterm mamas hold your babies in til their EDDs or longer..... that happens, yk?!?!
Old 12-09-2004, 05:58 PM

last post for the day - I promise! Sitting here waiting for a call back from the g'vt about some stray checks that arrived today...is this a merry chanukah or december fools!? Anyway, they're supposed to get back to me asap, so I thought I'd do some writing here while waiting. Better than more vacuuming! And someone besides me has the hiccoughs and it's a little jarring...blurp!

I'm so glad the cushions are working for you Malama! I hope theyr'e doing the trick for your dh, too - sounds like he's also not too comfy these days. Ouch!

my diapes are/were mostly white or natural (unbleached MotherEase). The aio's have color on the wrap part, but not the inside; nothing ever got damaged or changed from the soaking (it's just water with about 1/8th cup vinegar). We didn't use liners, which may be why we chose to soak them, I can't really remember...this time round we may (use liners), though, becuase if this boy is anything like his daddy he's gunna make big ole poopems that stink up the room for an hour! Little girl poops weren't too bad... considering! None of the diapes were/are very fancy, the motherease were probably the fanciest, but I really didn't love the prefold concept. I like having the baby out and about (at home!) in just a diape without any cover, and I hate the pins and the snappi didn't always hold (especially once crawling/creeping). We really only used the covers for heading out for short hikes, like a shop or something, or if people were over and wanting to hold/play with her. Actually now I think of it, dh never used them; if an aio wasn't avail. he'd take that naked baby to the store and buy a bag of sposies, if one wasn't readily avail. Silly human.

About 50% of the diapes we have are aio. These we love! They do take longer in the dryer (like close to an hour in a pretty new dryer), and I have to be sorta careful because most of them are velcro and if they aren't fastened they catch on each other ... major diaper tangle and it can rip up the outside of the diapes too. Otherwise they're SO much easier. So we don't have any fitted ones that don't have a cover attached, and we don't have any colored ones 'cause we got them all six to seven yrs. ago, before color was available. I would imagine that they would come with a disclaimer if you weren't supposed to soak them ahead of time. If I were you, I'd try just one in a bucket for a night or two, wash and see. One thing, was that we didn't double rinse the diapes in the laundry - they came out clean smelling and really clean looking.

Although the diapes are pretty plain, we do have some cutie patootie diaper covers! I can't wait to see a new little tushie in them! Yahoo! Oh, there's the phone. Caio all! Andy

Old 12-09-2004, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, Laura! Thank you for checking in with us. I'm so glad things are getting better with Megan. It's always two steps forward, one step back with preemies. I'm so glad to hear that you're getting help with your feelings of guilt and loss. It's ok to feel that way. But know, that you did everything right. Nothing you did caused baby Megan to be born early. No one really knows why premature birth happens. I mean sometimes they do, like if there is pre-eclampsia or abruption, etc.

It's so wonderful that you'll be breastfeeding soon. How great for Megan. She is lucky to have you as a mom. And just think, a few weeks is Christmas/New Year's! It would be wonderful to have her home for the holidays.

Wishing you peace and strength,

Gen
Old 12-10-2004, 01:12 AM

Laura, I am so glad things are going well with Megan. Please take care of yourself. You sound like a wonderful momma...

Sidelined with a bit of a cold this week. DS and I have been congested and coughing. I think we just are sharing it for a few extra days. Trying to take extra vitamins and get plenty of rest.

Proudmom
Old 12-10-2004, 03:32 AM

Hi Everyone! Glad to hear how everyone is doing!! You are all inspiring and positive - getting your baby's rooms ready, taking care of yourselves, etc...... I am now 34 weeks and I'm tired and run down mostly because I work in the Emergency room and my 12 hour shifts on my feet keep turning into 14 hour shifts (with a half an hour break). I have a cold and keep getting cold sores on my lip every 3 weeks. This is the 8th one! So....... I decided to stop working at the end of December and rest a bit. Slowly but surely this home is becoming organized and ready for baby!!!!!!!

Laura, thanks for checking in!!! Glad to hear Megan is progressing so well!!!!!!!!! Good for you for seeking help with your depression and adjustment during this time!!!

Happy Holidays to everyone!!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2004, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessitron
Andy, did you have all white dipes for the wet-pail-with-vinegar thing? I'm all about the colors, and wondering whether soaking would be good for them.
To continue the O.T. diaper thing... my grandmother is a weaver, knitter, and general sewing goddess - she always uses vinegar in the water to "set" colors and keep them bright. I bet it would be fine for all your diapers.

I Have a few little lambs with a really cute frog print that I'm looking forward to using and washing (well, using mostly. Not so much the washing part.)
Am planning to get some prefolds on ebay unless anyone had a more cost effective source they can recommend? If you want to p.m. me with ideas, I'd love it
Mammajenni, 36 weeks and feeling great today (hey, it's only 10:15 a.m.)
Old 12-10-2004, 01:26 PM

Bunches, wow, 12-hr ER nursing shifts? At this stage of pregnancy? Youch! I could not handle it. You are Supermom already!

Froggie, thanks for the info on the vinegar. I will not fear it now.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:50 PM

You are like some kind of walking ER drama! I can't believe 8 months preg. and still on your feet for so many hours! I can barely make it 10 hrs. with rest stops along the way! Whew... I do have a lot of sympathy for how you must be feeling, and I hope that you'll be taking it easy soon. I hear that medical personnel are the WORST patients, and also have a high rate of preemie births, so BE CAREFUL - I think it must be the stress of job/life/long hours etc. Take it easy, sister! That little one needs their mama to be strong and healthy! Take care up there, andy

Old 12-10-2004, 03:35 PM

wowBunches!
I can hardly make it through a day without s long period of lying down! You must be younger than me......

I dressed two stuffed animals here in a diaper and one in a velour baby outfit and they are getting so much lovin here. I think everyone is getting accustomed to the baby idea (it's been so long since there was a baby in our lives).

I don't have much to say. it's raining again here and so it's not so HOT and I'm happy.
Have a wonderful day!
Old 12-10-2004, 06:01 PM

Hi everybody!

I always check in so late. Anyways, Laura, I'm really glad to hear you are all doing as well as can be expected. . I'm glad that you are getting the help you need.

Um...hmmm...I don't have much to say this week. As for the diaper thing, we always do a second rinse with vinegar to get rid of detergent residue, and stink. It only works if you have hard water. Otherwise you need to do baking soda soak. Oh, the world of cloth diapers. You ladies don't know the vortex you are stepping into with that one :LOL

As for everything else, I've been feeling awesome lately. Probably because I'm not on any more meds, and the stress of that is gone. I'm still having lots of contractions, and losing little bits of mucous plug, but I think I will make past at least 36 weeks! Thats good enough for me -my last one was born at home at that age! I've also gotten that huge burst of energy that you sometimes get right before you have the baby. I've been going through everyhting in our house, redecorating, planting stuff on the lanai, powersanding furniture, you name it-I'm doin' it! Maybe its just the holidays that cheer me up.

Have a great weekend everybody
Old 12-11-2004, 02:07 AM

Sweetpeas- SO GLAd to hear from you. I had you on my mind alot, looked at your web page about a month ago. So glad you'll get your girl home soon. As much as moms blame themselves for everything anyway, I am glad you are getting counseling. It really has to be traumatic to go through this, and I give you a hug and a badge of courage for doing what your baby has needed you to do. By the way, an indian friend said in india they wrap the preemies in silk. Don't know if they'd let ya, but it a nice thought. Once she's home, and your days home begin to out number your days there at the hospital, you'll really begin to heal I hope.

Bunches- ouch, I feel your pain. What earned me "bed rest"- which amounted to working only twice as much as I should instead of 4 times as much as I should was 1)8 births in 10 days, all at home or in birth center so I did the whole thing....2)Some PMS feelings/crampiness/shortened cervix I complained about to the midwives caring for me 3) Which caused them to joke they were "having an intervention" to make me slow down. I had about 20 minutes the day they" intervened" where I considered briefly that my water might have broken, and that scared me enough to slow down, so they were surprised how easy the "intervention" went. .

Cold sores and your run down system are such a bad sign! I only ever got stuff like that when I was super run down, like during finals week in college..

Are you into herbs or acupuncture? There are allot of things you could do to support yourself. Herbs astragalus, elderberry, some Vit C, and lemon balm is antiviral and helps cold sores, all are safe in preg according to me a random on-line midwife! I guess just make sure you are eating (at all, but well with fresh veggies and greens) and getting sleep!! I wish you the best, I wish someone would help orchestrate an "intervention" for you, cause I tell you it's worth it, I feel way better now life is getting slower...In the mean time, hang in there.

Good lunck mamamaya, if that baby comes nowI guess your good. We gotta keep our in until 37 weeks to make it to a homebirth. which I think I will, and surpass and end up late in the end anyway.

And diaper vortex, yes I discoverd that already....Diapers, hmmm....as far as what i got jessitron- I am almost embarrassed, cause now that I am closer I feel like I bought too much of all the wrong thing. Time will tell. I got (all used from the trading post or e-bay) - Kissaluvs size 0's about a dozen, some colors but most plain, a few little lambs newborn, a few nanipoos, a few righteous babe newborns, a few rosie cheeks, and a happy heiny. After I got 'em I realized most of the dipes were cuter than the wraps, which bummed me out. Just diaper inexperience. I have mostly plain wraps, got a some white bummis and use ratty looky nikkys, two fleece, and a few random wahm wool covers in colors like blue, red, and a purple-green.

A mom gave me 6 green mountain diapers and some infant all in ones by dimples. I also got a dozen contours that look way too big for a newborn, a dozen nice indian prefolds off e-bay that are of a size slightly too big for newborn...I forget what, and some doublers of some kind off e-bay. I got 2 bumpkins aio for infant size, and numerous brands one here one there of infant sized diapers like righteous babe, and other cute/pricey stuff. Again, random not all too cute covers.

After what I spent "saving" buying used stuff, I kind of wish I just bought a bunch of plain good quality prefolds and wool covers. I registered for a few wool covers, and hope I get them. At least if I hate the diapes I can resell them on the trading post, and just get what I like.

So, anyway, I know what you mean about being excited by fluffy mail, mine all came about 20weeks though. This week I am excited about hard mail, cause I am getting CDs I ordered to try out/ acclimate to for end of pregnancy relax music and birth music. I got Gabrielle Roth, Sheila Chandra, and Loreena McKeenit. And Mickey Hart's "music to be born by", but it's too experimental to get into right now for me....

Heidi
Old 12-11-2004, 03:19 PM

Hey - Heidi, nice long post! Thanks for the read! I bought The prayer Cycle which has a ton of people on it inc. James Taylor, Alanis Morissette etc., and which already I listen to over and over and am practicing meditating to. It's awesome. I listened to the Mickey Hart CD in a shop and also found it a bit too experimental... The Gab. Roth stuff is pretty good, but sometimes feels too fast, at least for what I felt last time. The rythms are awesome though.

I am well. I did a 3 mi. walk today in under 1 hr., although it was a lot closer to an hour than previous walks...slowing down, for sure! It's good to still get out and get the exercise, though. Since we're all in the final stretch of months, I do hope we're ok taking care of ourselves as a PRIORITY! I am hearing more of that as wel plough along...

Take care all and happy weekend! Who is getting a tree this weekend? andy

Old 12-11-2004, 11:30 PM

I don't know if it is because I already have two small ones and I am just jaded but the nesting urge hasn't really hit me yet. Maybe it will a little as I get closer... I have tons of old baby clothes (both genders) and supplies that I need to sort through and "set up"...but it seems very non-urgent right now. Maybe after the holidays I'll kick into gear. That's when I intend to start sleeping downstairs closer to the bathroom and away from the family bed and kids to be more comfortable and to get the youngest used to sleeping with her papa and not me.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:38 PM

37 weeks tomorrow

Gosh, I wandered in here a few weeks ago to introduce myself and never came back! Get so easily sidetracked these days!

Mamabeca, what are your MWs doing about the + strep? I just found out this week I'm + too, and the only line I'm getting from the LPN who works with my mw is IV antibiotics. Feh!

So jealous of those of you who are walking, it's snowing here on the beaches in sunny Ohio. It rained all week too, so it's been generally gloomy and yuck.

We're done with the nursery - of course dh is the one who suggested cosleeping so we have a beautiful crib all set up and it'll be a nice fort for the kid to play in someday. We have a trundle bed in there too, so we can host our friends with babes when we have company.

Thursday all day and last night all night I think there was some sort of a flamenco competition going on in my belly. After all day Thursday, I was nearly in tears and ready to post an eviction notice to babe. Hardly slept with the same party last night, thank goodness I'm only working until Friday. I teach kids with physical and health disabilities, and they are pretty demanding (but not a 12 hr. ER shift!) and my coteacher takes really good care of me - he must be a wonderful husband. Christmas vacation starts at 2:30 on the 17th, and I really can't wait. Being due 1/3 (the first day back to school) I've decided to just stay home and use up all of my sick time and between sick time and FLMA, I won't have to resign until spring break.

I'll be back looking for the new thread, hopefully I won't forget this time!

Lisa

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.

User Tag List