I Love My Mw!!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-06-2004, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just arrived home from a long drive and had a message waiting for me from my mw. She told me that the local massage school was looking for pregnant mothers on which to practice massage -- would I be interested? Most of them are very experienced and looking to add a prenatal component to their training.

Anyway, I just got off the phone with the teacher who asked if it would be OK if I volunteered for two hours of massage on both Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon. Um... the answer to that would be YES! I can't wait.....
#2 of 10 Old 12-07-2004, 03:04 AM

sounds like some serious suffering..... ENJOY!
#3 of 10 Old 12-07-2004, 05:29 PM

Oh, how generous of you to donate your time
#4 of 10 Old 12-07-2004, 11:12 PM

thats so nice. When I was pg with ds my mum was in massage school. She used to practice on me and some of her classmates, plus on of the teachers was all excited they had an actually pg woman to work on I came in and selflessly donated my day so other students could pratice

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#5 of 10 Old 12-08-2004, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Oooh- Azreial, that sounds nice!! Yesterday was great! One of the massage therapists was absolutely wonderful - no different than a certified, experienced therapist. The only difference is that she needs to give hours of free massage in order to get certified! It was also nice that she was as excited about giving a prenatal massage as I was about receiving one. Hopefully today will be just as great!
#6 of 10 Old 12-15-2004, 06:21 PM

i'm so jealous!

i wish i could afford to get a massage! in fact i'm calling my insurance right now to find out how much is covered!
#7 of 10 Old 12-15-2004, 07:29 PM

Call your local masssage school!
#8 of 10 Old 12-15-2004, 07:39 PM

Congrats Delfina! A great way to seriously unload some stress (old and new!) and enjoy the day just a little bit more! My mw's are training a new doula who is also a massage therapist, so I will be having two sessions with her between now and the birth. She will be at the birth as part of her doula training.

I do plan on compensating her for the two sessions, because she is driving about 45 minutes to get here (each way) and will bring all her supplies etc. I think that's fair...any ideas how much would be appropriate? Locally, prenatal massage goes for about $60 or $65 a one hour session. But this is different because she suggested it and because it's part of her training (but separate)... confusing... I was thinking of $30 or $35 a session, dh thinks $50 for the two sessions would be fair... help!

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#9 of 10 Old 12-15-2004, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mamabeca- sounds like a great doula to have! I would ask her directly - just tell her you want to compensate her and what does she think is fair. If she won't give you a number, I would say $30 per a session would be great if you can afford it.

When you say it is "part of her training", I am assuming you mean doula training, not massage training. If she not a licensed massaged therapist yet, the practice hours they need to accrue are non-billable.... so you could give her gas money or maybe a nice meal with the family!
#10 of 10 Old 12-16-2004, 12:36 AM

Thanks D. - exactly the info I was needing. I shall ask her whether she is using the hrs. as part of massage training (I think she's not liscensed in NY, but in like TX or somewhere, so I don't know whether she needs to do more hrs. or what) as well as part of her 'getting to know you' session for doula training. That was initially what got me to make the appt., as a way of getting more comfortable with her hands on my skin etc. THANK YOU!

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page