Jan. Mamas Dec. 12-18 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 98 Old 12-15-2004, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malama
Beauty Flash balm (which "eliminates all signs of fatigure and instantly restores unrivaled radiance")

This made me laugh...I look kind of ragged today and I had this vision of all of a sudden glowing radiantly with all the angels singing "Ahhhhh!" I would be way impressed with any product that could elimnate the signs of fatigue due to a toddler puking in the middle of the night 2 nights in a row. Oh and also early this morning she started screaming "MOVE OVER!!!" to dh and I even though she had over half the king size bed to herself.
#62 of 98 Old 12-15-2004, 06:05 PM

Maybe I'm just paranoid b/c ds came at 36 weeks and 4 days, I was planning a hospital birth b/c I didn't know all my options and WE WERE NOT PREPARED FOR HIS ARRIVAL. Crib was still in the box, hadn't bought the crib mattress etc....
I just really like everything to be taken care of, the pads I'm talking about are like they kind you use when you get your period, only more absorbant.
I don't want any stress after I give birth, i want to be peaceful and serene and bond with my new baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I really feel better today, the baby had "crawled" back up last night and was hurting my upper rib cage, today "she" is nice and low. IT FEELS ALOT BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strange enough though suddenly the HORRIBLE ACNE that I have had for months is suddenly gone!
Is this a sign?
#63 of 98 Old 12-15-2004, 08:32 PM

P&A - Dh caught yeasties from me once, he's not circ, and he got a small amount of creamy white growing up under the folds, slight itch, but with a few good washings was gone.

Andy, I think it's Webster, what Choco mentioned.

Jess and Andy, sorry to hear about your ill family members.

Jesi, get some depends! They are cheap enough and absorbant beyond all else.

I work with physically and medically disabled kids, so we have CASES of chux at work. Tossed a pack in the car the other day in case we might need them. So much fun stuff to do.

Chatted with midwife for a while on the phone too, about GBS and getting another culture to make sure it's got some antibiotic that will kill it. I've been known to have resistant UTIs in the past, so the last thing I want is resistant GBS too. So far I'm not going to take the IV abx, but if there are things going on like fever, long ROM, etc. I'm open to discussion.

Gotta run, got a hungry puppy and hubby to deal with. Only 2 more days of work.

Lisa

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#64 of 98 Old 12-16-2004, 11:16 AM

Malama, if you're still looking to give away the shmancy skin pack, I'd love it. Sounds great!

Delfina, the changing table is by Bonavita. We ordered it back in October from a baby-furniture specialty shop, along with the matching crib. They were supposed to be here mid-December. They called a few weeks ago to say they were delayed until late January. Fortunately (after I asked) they said they had one of the changing tables in stock, so I got that now. The crib will wait until after the birth. So this changing table was not easy to get, either. But I'm glad you like it!

Mamamaya, on the swimming - I've been debating whether to go swimming sometime and see whether the baby spins to face my back. Currently he/she is posterior. Back at 20 weeks, swimming got the baby to change positions so that I could feel movement finally. But I'm afraid of the baby flipping - better posterior than breech any day. What do you think?

I'm sorry to hear about parents and grandparents dying. How sad, this close to the birth. Both my grandparents died right around the time I got pregnant. The whole circle-of-life thing made their deaths easier. I didn't expect them to be around for the birth, though. It must be hard to find out about these things now.

Jess, that's funny about the toddler and "MOVE OVER." Do you consider moving her to her own room at moments like that?
#65 of 98 Old 12-16-2004, 01:24 PM

Jessi,
I PMd you about the box. I'm glad I have a taker. I can't believe that most of you aren't coerced by the claims of making yourself beautiful and toned again after birth

And i seriously doubt your baby will flip breech from swimming. By this time, they go head down and their heads start to fit into the pelvis- it's rare for them to go breech. Swimming is excellent exercise when pregnant, feels great and would be helpful in turning a posterior baby.
#66 of 98 Old 12-16-2004, 01:50 PM

Feeling a bit out of touch lately. I have been battling a cold, which has now become a sinus infection. Finally resorted to antibiotics after trying all types of homepathic remedies. It just wasn't going away. It is finally improving with the antibiotics, but now I worry about yeast. UGH - the vicious cycle.

I am glad others are struggling with the GBS issue. I was positive with ds and had IV antibiotics in the the hospital. This time, I just don't know what to do about testing. I keep wavering back and forth. I am taking probiotics, vit C, garlic, etc. My decision about testing changes from one minute to the next!!!

Sorry to hear about everyone's loved ones.

I love coming on to the boards to hear everyone's preparations. I keep thinking that it is still so far away, and that I have plenty of time. Then I remember that I have less than 6 weeks (+/-). I need to get in gear. I just has been tough being sick and caring for my 19mo...

Proudmom
#67 of 98 Old 12-16-2004, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessitron
Jess, that's funny about the toddler and "MOVE OVER." Do you consider moving her to her own room at moments like that?
Oh...sometimes I think it would be nice to have our room to ourselves, but for the most part she's in our room 'cause it's so much easier to walk to the foot of the bed (where her toddler bed is) or roll over (if she's in bed with us) and comfort her rather than walk all the way down the hall to her. And it's nice to wake up in the middle of the night and hear the dog, my dh and dd all snoring peacefully right close to me. There will be many years where I'll get to have 1/2 the king size bed to myself.

Funny story: My cat snuck into the garage last night before bed and got stuck out there. There are now kitty prints all over dh and my car. Kind of reminded me of whe dh and I were first dating we live in a 400sqft studio in an old house where all the tenants had cats. Every morning after a snow or rain there would be muddy prints all over all the cars.
#68 of 98 Old 12-16-2004, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proudmom
I am glad others are struggling with the GBS issue. I was positive with ds and had IV antibiotics in the the hospital. This time, I just don't know what to do about testing. I keep wavering back and forth. I am taking probiotics, vit C, garlic, etc. My decision about testing changes from one minute to the next!!!
Oh, me too! I'm still going back and forth on this one a bit. Most of the time I think I'll opt out of testing altogether. For one thing, I couldn't have IV drugs during labor anyway (homebirth in AL), for another I've researched a lot and am feeling quite confident about not going the antibiotic route even if I am ++ again (I was with DD). Also, I would have to go and have it done by an OBGYN, and I don't have one here. When I was tested with DD, we had a midwife and I just swabbed myself, it was not a big deal and I hadn't educated myself on GBS at all so I just chose to test.

The only thing that does weigh on me is that *if* we do require a transfer to hospital, if we have not been tested & shown to be GBS-, then the baby will be treated and subjected to interventions as though s/he has been exposed. Now, I am so confident that our home birth will go wonderfully, and the chance of a transfer is small, but it is still always there. I'm also feeling that because I was ++ with DD that it's likely I will be again, in which case the hospital will treat us the same in the end regardless....

blah... I wish this wasn't an issue at all. From what I've read, the way that GBS+ is treated in the States is so much more alarmist than what happens in other Western Nations (Europe, for instance). I don't like the blanket use of antibiotics, and I don't think it's without it's own risks.

So yes, as you can see, I'm still pondering this one.
#69 of 98 Old 12-16-2004, 04:09 PM

Kathy - you should have the legal right to refuse treatment in hospital for your child (even in Alabama!). They (the babies) can be observed for a few days without treatment, but keep a CLOSE eye on what happens in that nursery...they can do funny things when you're sleeping and the baby is with them. Nothing that would seriously harm the babe, but sugar water, abx and other stuff (and once they start a round of abx it's a WEEK before you are off of it).

Thank you to all the mamas thinking of us while dh goes through this hard time, and us with him. We both appreciate your thoughts.

Since I tested GBS+ in a urine sample, we'll be shot so full of abx upon entering the hospital our heads won't have time to spin. I figure it's not worth testing again, since even if I do test + now, they'll consider it a high risk and IV me anyway. And to be honest, I'd rather IV me than stay in the hospital for DAYS so they can monitor little one. Ugh. So it's hopefully a hb that goes without xfer, and no worries about hospitals, thrush, abx or any other nightmares! Here's hoping...

Feeling really good - but I took a TWO HOUR nap today. Didn't sleep too well, I guess I needed it! Now the day is nearly gone, though...sigh.

Jessi - GOOD FOR YOU taking up Malama's box of goodies! I did consider it, but ... well... probably for the same reasons as Karen, I think it wouldn't get much use here! Dd might love it!!! Ok, I'm back to it over here. Hope you all have a great day! Andy

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#70 of 98 Old 12-16-2004, 04:14 PM

Oh and I really really REALLY hope you're feeling better Proudmom! I had the same thing a month or so ago, and also resorted to abx to kill it (about 10 minutes before I thought my head was going to explode!). It was stubborn as my dd (took days to get rid of even with abx) and wicked as my dh! Truthfully, though, I kept taking the probiotics and acidophilus with the abx (knowing it was killing them as I took them), and for a couple of weeks afterward, but didn't get any further infections. Diligence, my friend! And a LOT of luck! andy

#71 of 98 Old 12-16-2004, 05:04 PM

Mmm, two hour nap. Boy, that sounds good.

Here's a question for everybody: what are you planning for a labor project? Or, what did you do for earlier births?

There's lots of things I should do, but what sounds really good is playing board games. I love board games.
#72 of 98 Old 12-16-2004, 05:12 PM

Jesi, I agree, I don't think babe would flip breech on you, since the head is heavy and it's already down, now you just need the little babe to rotate! Swimming is SO nice, I really should go back in the water. Maybe next week.

Proudmom - I had a long chat with a doula today who insists her garlic methods beat the gbs test anyday. The CNM who saw me last time in the MW office said that they consider you + forever, even if you aren't + right now. Grr!!

Kathy - talk to your pedi, see what the protocol is that they prefer to operate under - the family practice I see is willing to watch/wait unless they KNOW there is an infection (like you spike a bad fever and baby ends up in crazy distress) rather than treat like it is an infection without knowing.

Andy, wish I were staying home so I didn't have to worry about making the abx choice. I guess it'll go one day at a time - if babe comes soon, I'll probably end up on them, since I haven't been at the probiotics for very long, and if I go past 40 weeks, midwife says she will swab again for me. Chatted with her for a long time yesterday, and she's going to swab Monday to check for what abx will work, that way I have no fears of a resistant GBS if I decide to use them, and we're going to check urine too - if it's an active infection in my urine, I'm pretty sure I'll accept the abx. Too much risk on that one.

Aaah only one more day of work. Need to call backup midwife too, as mine is going on a cruise the week I'm due. Must sit and chat with her about our plans. We've been playing phone tag all day.

Lisa

#73 of 98 Old 12-16-2004, 09:49 PM

a CRUISE!? well how's she going to test you if she's off on a CRUISE!? I wish I were going on a cruise... sigh. well, thanks for the good thoughts. I really hope we wrap this baby in our own blankies and snuggle down in our own bed right after the birth. I'm not going to say it's not scaring me a little, knowing that the baby has a small chance of contrating strep B, but the mw's are on it, and I trust them. I really do. I know they'd never risk the baby. We're close to hospitals, too, so I'm not too concerned that if we had to we could get help asap.

ONE MORE DAY LISA! You go girl! Enjoy the last contact with grown ups for a while... will you have to go back soon after the birth? My friend is an OT and had to go back like 6 wks after birth...ugh. It was by choice, but she was mainly thinking of her own clients.

Jessi - I'm planning on kicking some backgammon butt (everyones!), watching or listening to Bill Cosby (he really cracks me up), and enjoying the company of all the great women that will be around me during the first part of labor. Also I'm picking out good music to listen to and some great picture books to focus on. Amazing to me that I can hardly sit still normally, but last labor I spent like 12 hours sitting either on the toilet or in a rocking chair. Quite happily, I might add! One doula is also a massage therapist, so hopefully some time will be spent getting pampered a little. I'm really not a water person, so maybe a shower or two, but I'm not planning on spending much time in the bath...some folks like that a lot. Games and stuff only work for the early part of labor. Once you need to really concentrate on the energy of birthing, the contractions are coming at a rate that pretty much excludes gaming. It's good for the first long while, though, so enjoy! andy

#74 of 98 Old 12-16-2004, 10:00 PM

Hehe Andy, poor Dh actually wanted to go with her, he said she could just catch babe in the hot tub on the ship. We were out cruising for Christmas last year and it was SOOOOO nice, especially skipping out on all the family-inlaw-family back and forth all day.

Must decide about doula.. anyone want to convince me that I should just be done with the hassle and hire her?

SO looking forward to 2:30 tomorrow as well, I coteach with 2 guys who will be fine with my sub, and I put my paperwork in for all 12 weeks of family leave, and I have a lot of mama guilt as my 8 little defenseless high school kiddos have been all mine for 3 years and I've shaped them into lovely folk, but I'll be staying home at least the rest of the year, hopefully for a few years beyond that.

Going to watch the evil TiVo. What a bad toy!

Lisa

#75 of 98 Old 12-16-2004, 10:40 PM

A cruise! That sounds nice, wish I could go to!

As for labor, I'll probably spend it trying to flash clean my house like I did last time :LOL. I called my midwife and told her I was in labor, and she was like I'm coming over. When she got there I was scrubbing the kitchen floor. Tlak about last minute nesting! I'm a freak, I know :LOL I don't think I'll have a long labor, but maybe if I can get some time to myself I'll work on some knitting projects or something like that. Or make a birthday cake for the baby with my kids. That would be nice. Or...just lounge in the bath...aaahhhhh.

On the GBS, I didn't test the other two times, and I can't really say I know much about it. They automatically tested me this time, when I was in the hospital. Thank goodness I didn't have it. Otherwise I would have refused the IV unless I had a temp or something.

Lisa - way to go! You're free! Enjoy these last, relatively peaceful few weeks! I would hire the doula. They can be an amazing asset, both during and after the birth and a good friend for years to come
#76 of 98 Old 12-17-2004, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marysmama
NadiaSJ (Nadia): 1/28 with #3
(GIRL)
I am glad to see that I am still on the list even though I haven't been here in a while. Thanks! BTW, I am delivering at a Miami Maternity Center with a great midwife, maybe in the water, we'll see how it goes.

Excited to have only 6 weeks to go, how exciting! Samantha is going to be 15 months, I can't wait to have my two little girls with me all the time.

Glad to see everyone is doing well.

HypnoBirthing anyone? I am planning on starting my classes soon.

Toodles, Nadia
#77 of 98 Old 12-17-2004, 08:56 AM

I've never heard of having a 'birth project'. What's the idea behind it, to get your mind off early labour?

I'm doing hypnobabies, but not faithfully. I started at 14 weeks, and I'm kinda burnt out of it, plus the move messed me up.
#78 of 98 Old 12-17-2004, 10:05 AM

So dh dances round my head, and dd sleeping, pees the bed.
The baby dances in my belly, my but and thighs have turned to jelly.
A dusting outside of pure white snow, my nose I constantly must blow.
The dog is snoozing, not a peep, I, for weeks now cannot sleep.
My pants are too tight or yet too big, I think I'm starting to really wig.
I'm snapping off heads of those I love, can't find the match to my only glove.
The laundry is sitting round in piles, the desk is covered in what used to be files.
Food sits round till it just starts to rot, there's last week's soup still in the pot.
I think if I don't get outta here soon, I'm gunna start howling up at the moon...

Oh yeah, now I feel better! LOL! andy

#79 of 98 Old 12-17-2004, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeca
So dh dances round my head, and dd sleeping, pees the bed.
The baby dances in my belly, my but and thighs have turned to jelly.
A dusting outside of pure white snow, my nose I constantly must blow.
The dog is snoozing, not a peep, I, for weeks now cannot sleep.
My pants are too tight or yet too big, I think I'm starting to really wig.
I'm snapping off heads of those I love, can't find the match to my only glove.
The laundry is sitting round in piles, the desk is covered in what used to be files.
Food sits round till it just starts to rot, there's last week's soup still in the pot.
I think if I don't get outta here soon, I'm gunna start howling up at the moon...
Oh, andy, you summed up my life superbly - except for the snow part
#80 of 98 Old 12-17-2004, 02:36 PM

Ha, ha, thanks for the poem, andy! That's great.

Thank you for the swimming advice, too. I will try to find a pool to get in before this baby is due. Maybe we'll find a reason to get a hotel room while we're travelling for Christmas.

Pam_and_Abigail, the labor project is supposed to keep one busy in early labor so we don't get too rushed. Early labor sounds like the fun part.

The diaper accumulation continues: last night two Grow Me a Rainbow PreFitteds arrived. They are darling! The FabFold Prefitted is a prefold cut into a baby shape with elastic added to the leg sections, pretty fabric covering the outside of the middle panel, and matching serging all around the edges. It is cheap for a fitted diaper, simple and clever and pretty. I think I'll get several more of these in infant size, and some newborn covers, and some fleece-topped doublers, and call the stash ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadiaSJ
I am delivering at a Miami Maternity...
Nadia, I read this as "I am delivering at a Mimi Maternity" and did a double take. ha ha!
#81 of 98 Old 12-17-2004, 03:19 PM

I have so much to do.... projects ( a king sized quilt, a baby quilt, cleaning, etc...) and things, and just life stuff. But for some reason, I mostly can't get myself to do these things. Then I feel lame for being so demotivated and I get depressed and am even less motivated. My dh can't understand how if i know what's depressing me that I can't just get up and do the things I need to do.... how to explain something so complex as my mind/ emotions??!?!
I'm hoping that something will shift soon. I am forcing myself to get some stuff done- i did take the recycling yesterday, and that was on my list, but still.....
And the worst part is that I KNOW how once the baby is here, that nothing will get done. It's been a long time since I've had a baby, and I can't remember exactly how it is, but I do remember that it's sometimes a chore to get your teeth brushed..... ugh

anyhow....
andy, I loved your poem. Read it at 3am while having insomnia. would have responded then, but I didn't wanna wake dh. too much clicking is loud.

have a wonderful day!
#82 of 98 Old 12-17-2004, 03:25 PM

That poem is the BEST!!
is it too long for the new mdc quote feature, cuz i think it should be up there. In fact, I want it on a tee-shirt!! It so perfectly describes things for me!
Thank you!!!
#83 of 98 Old 12-17-2004, 03:34 PM

You know P&A, if you REALLY want it on a tee, you can easily do that at cafepress.com... of course, you'd HAVE to credit andy!!
#84 of 98 Old 12-17-2004, 03:43 PM

Malama I can totally relate...I'm tired today. I haven't done anything productive at work and now I'm just waiting til this meeting is over (I'm "on-call" but I convinced my boss not to make me go...I hate upper management meetings...so driven by small man ego). I had a ton of bh, borderline painful yesterday...please baby wait a few more weeks. Also my jeans are unconfortable and I keep unbuttoning the button and then having to remember to button be for eI leave my office...

andy your poem cracks me up.

OOO I ordered a few things online and they came last night. I bought dd this dress and leggings set with airplanes on it (dh is a recreational pilot) and I also found a onsie for new baby with the same print. There were also 2 more outfits for new baby, 'cause I thought it was kind of unfair for it not to have any new clothes...way cute. And my birth kit came in the mail. And I bought handknit finger puppets for party favors for dd's party tomorrow...

Now if only I was as successful with christmas presents...that's where I need motivation.
#85 of 98 Old 12-17-2004, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubysmomjess
I had a ton of bh, borderline painful yesterday...please baby wait a few more weeks.
I was in the same boat. Super painful ones last night while i was having insomnia. But yk, it doesn't mean baby will come soon, or early or anything..... just getting ready!

and thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only LAZY one! It's getting old!!!!

Karen
#86 of 98 Old 12-17-2004, 04:58 PM

I think Me & Me Maternity would be a great name for a birth clinic! Miami Maternity sounds fine too, of course...

Just had a SUPER massage, somehow the world seems SO much better... ahhhhhh. This from my doula-in-training, who does the birth for free and who aspires to be a midwife someday (she's 24 now). My baby LOVED it, although with all their avoidence issues, it was a riot to see the flipping and kicking all over the darned place.

Must get chores done before dd gets off the bus - the massage lasted 2 1/2 hrs! :-o

#87 of 98 Old 12-17-2004, 05:13 PM

just a quick (NOT) aside because I totally missed this page until after I'd posted...duh...

I no longer carry laundry upstairs, or if I do I do one flight before noon and the other flight after 6pm. Lazy? Unhun! I no longer carry groceries in from the car. It's cold enough out to keep everything cold until dh gets home. Unhuh! Do NOT beat yourself up over getting little done. Dh's can be totally thick sometimes; just because they don't understand doesn't mean what you are experiencing isn't totally normal, fine and part of how you are adjusting to a whole new set of circumstances. I'm telling ya, slowing down is the BEST thing you can do for yourself right now! And get lots of iron, of course... Karen, try picking one thing, maybe the baby's quilt, 'cause it's really doable?, and just stay focused on that for a while. Give yourself as much time as you need to do it a little at a time. Rest lots with feet up, drink yummy tea, get some sun, let the wind blow through your hair. Walk in sand. These are the last few weeks of the next few YEARS that you will have any time at all to do these things. Using it up feeling bad is not the midwife recommended way to go (and you KNOW it). So relax a little (horsey raspberry), take a moment to enjoy your belly, and close your eyes. It's okay! Love and hugs, andy

#88 of 98 Old 12-17-2004, 08:34 PM

Malama- Couldn't have said it better than Mamabeca, but just to reiterate - you know better than anyone that is time to slow down and put our feet up! I am feeling like there are a ton of things to get done too, but I am also realizing that this will be the last chance I will have a in a loooong time to take it easy and pamper myself in any way I can. Let the little stuff slide.....

Mamabeca- I am glad your massage went so well. Were you comfortably able to work out the financial stuff with her? Love the poem too.....
#89 of 98 Old 12-17-2004, 08:42 PM

PS- My dh just came home work (he is a HS teacher) with junky leftovers from the parties in his classes. I just inhaled a ton of chips, processed cheese dip, an apple turnover and a Reeces PB XMAS tree. I am not looking forward to weighing in w/ my provider next week!! :
#90 of 98 Old 12-18-2004, 01:30 AM

no worries here about getting my relaxing time. I haven't lifted a laundry basket in months- I organize it all and then ask my son or dh to transport it. I haven't taken groceries out of the car, into the car or anything. I don't wash the dishes anymore because if i did, I'd have to lean way over (I'm short and the counter top is exactly at the height of my largest girth). Seriously, I have it pretty darn good. Having a 12 year old who likes to help and who is getting strong has been a godsend this pregnancy. Sadly he's often the target of my "moods", but he's a wonderful kid.

This baby might have the same chinese animal year (monkey) and sun sign (capricorn) as him- though it could just as easily be an aquarius.... I hope s/he is just as great.

andy, a 2 1/2 hour massage sounds HEAVENLY. I have another mw who "owes" me 2 massages for assisting her at a birth. She's busy up until this week and then she'll come over.... ahhhhh I can't wait!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page