Artemisia (Judith):1/14
Froggie:1/14 with #2 (GIRL), home waterbirth
Mamamaya: 1/14 with #3, planned UC
Bunches (Mary): mid Jan with #1, homebirth
Chocomoto:1/16 with #3
PamandAbigail: 1/18 with #2
PIOmama: 1/18 with #5
Peace4you (Jen): 1/19 with #1
Nathansmom (norah): 1/19 with twins (BOYS)
Majick1 (Celeste): 1/20 with #3, homebirth
Marysmama (Gen): 1/21 with #2, natural hospital birth
sweetpeasmom (Laura):1/21 Megan, 10-11-04, 1 lb 11 ozs, 13 in
AmyB: 1/22 with #2, homebirth
Babytime: 1/22 with #2 (GIRL)
Mamabeca (Andy) due 1/22 w/#2 , m/w asstd homebirth.
Zonapellucida (Heidi): 1/23 with #7 (BOY), planned UC
Jwhiskeycat: 1/24 with #1
Flyjawn: 1/25 with #1 (GIRL)
Fromscatteredtribe: 1/26 with #4 (BOY),homebirth
Slygrrl (Kathy): 1/26 with #2, homebirth
sadkitty: 1/27 thru 2/1 with #2, waterbirth at birth center
Proudmom: 1/27 with #2 (GIRL), homebirth
Parkersmama (Kristin): 1/27 with #2, hospital VBAC
Human Being (Heidi): 1/28 with #1, homebirth
NadiaSJ (Nadia): 1/28 with #3
Azreial: 1/29 with #2 (GIRL)
HelloKitty (Kitty): 1/30 with #4
icxcnika: late Jan with #2 natural hospital birth
tofumama: late Jan with #3
Jessitron (Jessica): late Jan with #1, homebirth
Zanelee (Jennifer): late Jan with #2
Malama: late Jan with #3
Milk4two (Adria): late Jan with twins
Chiromom (Mar): late Jan with child #3, planning UC
Parthenia: late Jan/early Feb with #2 (still one of us!)
rubysmomjess(Jess): Jan with #2, homebirth

HokieGirl: ? with ? (GIRL)
#2 of 103 Old 12-19-2004, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Ladies,

Sorry for not posting in a couple of weeks. Nothing new to report. We had an appointment on Friday with the OB. I am still 1.5cm dialated, but no effacing yet. He said and I quote "It is softer, but nothing dramatic" I have another appoinment on the 23rd and then one on the 28th. The baby has moved slightly to the left, and now his head is firmly lodged agains my left pelvic bone, so... until he moves and puts pressure on my cervix, we are not expecting anything to happen. Not a big deal, since I am hoping to get as far away from Christmas as possible. I've been having contactions since Tuesday and after my appointment on Friday, I discovered the wonderful joy of losing my plug. Sorry to be so graphic. It was a bit freaky, though, since I never really had that happen with DD. I was shocked by the amount of blood that was involved. Since then, the bleeding has tapered off. Well, more after my appointment on Thursday!

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Nicole
#3 of 103 Old 12-19-2004, 02:04 PM

KM - you are so welcome. Those are great pics, and that little one is totally precious! No wonder ds is in love! Nicole - it sounds like the internal exams are doing something to you. You can certainly tell your OB you don't want another one, unless you don't mind progressing that way. Once you lose you plug, I thought, things sort of move faster, or they could, and also it means that the cervix isn't sealed (against???)...what do these things mean, our wonderful mw companions? I though it was possible to thin and eface without actually dialating, or am I confusing terminology? Is the plug just extra protection from infection? Why do we need it if the sac is there to protect the baby? I am really kind of duh about this stuff. I will go read up on some of it, but it wasn't in my Ina May book (and if it ain't in there...), maybe aviva jill romm... not much there... well, maybe Karen or Heidi can share what they know about it??? Thanks ladies... ps - if I don't post a pic. onto like shutterflyor something, how do I get it to attach? Can I do it from my own computer, or do I have to post it somewhere else? And how do I do that?! sigh.

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#4 of 103 Old 12-19-2004, 03:02 PM

If you lose your mucous plug, it doesn't necessarily mean you will soon have your baby. You can lose it naturally and then go another couple of weeks. If it's dislodged in an internal exam (which, you're right andy, isn't necessary), then your body can start to reform one again.
The mucous plug does act as a barrier to protect the baby- but then so does the amniotic sac, and even w/o plug, an intact sac isa formidable barrier.

Also, Nicole, you can check your cervix a ton of times (esp in one who's had babies) and it may tell you nothing. things can change so rapidly with your cervix-it's unpredictable. You can certainly (if you want) tell your OB that you don't want one- esp if you felt your bleeding was scary afterwards.

andy: re pictures..... i couldn't think of any other way of posting them other than going to shutterfly or one of those others.... it's easy to do though and doesn't cost any $$$. And, once you are using it you can post pics of your new babe for far away relatives to see and buy on their own.
#5 of 103 Old 12-19-2004, 03:37 PM

Oh, that's cool about shutterfly. I think if the family ever returns from cutting an x-mas tree (one of the benefits of living in the cold places of the world), I can get dd to take a picture and we can post it. And thanks for the info. on the plug Karen. mine came out while in labor last time, I expect the same this time (probably a no-no : expectations going in are bound to be trouble!), it's good to know that there are multiple layers of protection for the baby. what a miracle!!! I'm up to my eyeballs in donated used videos that the brownie troop is giving to charities in the area - trying to clump them and wrap them and sort out the baddies... ugh. deep breath...
Carpe Dium!

#6 of 103 Old 12-19-2004, 04:59 PM

Hi guys! Karen, you look great! I wish I still looked that good in a bikini! I'll try and post a picture, but for some reason my OS doesn't like shutterfly. I'll try and figure it out though.

As for the mucous plug thing - one I lost about halfway through labor, one came out a couple days before. This time I'm losing little peices here and there...It doesn't mean anything concrete, but I always get excited because it means something is happening down there. I had my midwife appointment yesterday. We think the baby might be OP, since I've pretty much been feeling all my contractions in my back and sides. Not fun...bleh...sounds like I need to take my own advice and go swimming. She also thinks the baby is a bit small. That's fine. I'm a small person. I just barely hit 140 at 36 weeks pregnant, and I've birthed an 8 1/2 pound OP baby, and let's just say...it wasn't all peaches and cream. Also, I don't believe you can really tell the size from feeling anyways. So, hrmmm. I guess thats it for now. Have a good Sunday
#7 of 103 Old 12-19-2004, 05:33 PM

Hi everyone!
First, I want to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for all of your kind words of support and suggestions regarding our dilemma. I am feeling SO much better now than I was a few days ago, I'm happy to say! I kind of expected that once the initial shock had worn off a bit, I'd be able to feel calm and a bit more able to come up with ideas.

The wonderful thing is that we have *2* incredible midwives that I absolutely love, and with whom DD is pretty comfortable. I did give the doula suggestions much thought, but there are a couple of things here that may be problematic for us ~ first of all, my DD takes quite a while to get comfortable with new people. She is very sensitive to new situations. We have to introduce things quite gradually, and so the fact that she's relatively at ease with our midwives now means that *if* she is going to stay, she'd likely be better off with one of them to sit with her than with a new person that she has just met. If it comes to the point that for either me or for her it is better that she is gone, we have a couple of people who would be safe & appropriate caregivers for her, and we are hoping to arrange for a few more just to be cautious. Granted, she would not be happy to go, but this would be secondary I suppose if for the birth (or if for her) it is better that she is not here.

The other good part is that they will fly him back if I go into labor while he's gone, so there's still always the chance that he would only miss the first part of the labor.

I guess I am feeling very positive about all of this though, now! I figure that if I do not feel ready to give birth, in all likelihood my body & the baby will be affected by this and the birth will wait until he gets back. If I do go into labor, then that means that I am emotionally & mentally prepared! I am a very big believer in the power of visualization, so I am keeping my thoughts positive and picturing a beautiful, peaceful birth... ideally with Daddy catching!

So we've talked about it a lot, and for us the opportunity is so great and the risk that the birth will happen during those exact 3 days is relatively small. I am still keeping my fingers crossed, of course!

Otherwise, we are doing great! I seem to lose a little of mucuous every so often, but that's been happening for months now and there's never been bloody show at all. Karen, you look AWESOME!! I didn't look so good in my swimsuit when I last wore it, at the end of October... lol! I will try to post a link to my most recent belly pic. It was taken at 32 weeks, and I guess I'd better get busy taking some more now that we're midway through week 34!

32 Week Belly ]
#8 of 103 Old 12-19-2004, 05:44 PM

Ugh, forgot to mention my second reason that I prefer not to bring a new doula in at this point ~ I'm a pretty private birther, and wouldn't even really like my own mother or best friends here at the birth. I have a "GACK!" reaction when I think about someone entirely unknown to me being here... (like mother, like daughter??? LOL!)
#9 of 103 Old 12-19-2004, 05:54 PM

Kathy, you look wonderful and such a beautiful belly! I also played around on your site adn read your beautiful birth story- brought tears to my eyes! I do hope that your dh is there for you as he seems like he was such a huge help with your last birth.

I'm so glad that you're at peace with everything. Just like all things labor-ish, letting go of stuff is the best way (IMO) to go.

I totally understand you not wanting to have another stranger at your birth. I'm having a hard time figuring if I want anyone else there. I'm having my mw/friend there- I don't want her to do anything, but be there. I don't want her to bring another mw and she's fine with that, but then I'm starting to worry that maybe my boys need a support person. THey are very well versed in birth stuff, have seen a ton of videos, but I'm not sure how they'll deal with the intensity of birth. Every person I can think of to ask to be here has some committment that will make it challenging (small kids, work, etc....). I really need to talk to the kids and see what they think. The mw said she could hang with them, but frankly, i wasn't planning on calling her until the very end....dh could be with them because I generally don't like anyone touching me or talking to me..... we'll see.
My mom will be coming here at the very end of Jan, but somehow i think we;ll have the baby by then.

OK, rambling out loud.
Oh, and FWIW, i lost my mucous plug with ds#2 the day before he was born- water broke that night and he was born in the afternoon the next day.
#10 of 103 Old 12-19-2004, 06:09 PM

Thanks Karen Good luck with your own decision. It's not easy, is it? My primary midwife feels really positive about how DD will handle the birth, and I'm still keeping the door open to the idea that, if all is going well, she could stay even if DH is caught away.
I do feel really at peace with it, amazingly so even! Not to say I'd wish for it, but if it happens all will be well. I am confident of that.

Yeah, with DD labor began just over 24 hrs after I lost my plug too!
#11 of 103 Old 12-19-2004, 07:39 PM

I don't recall losing my plug with dd... I'm sure I did, so it was probably in labour when I was preoccupied.
Nothing new here.
#12 of 103 Old 12-19-2004, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i have met lots of midwives and lots of homebirthing moms and i've been one myself, and every single person has recommended not just someone to watch children but someone resposible for EACH child. last time my kids slept mostly through, but ds2 needed to nurse once and my mom laid in the bed with the two of them for awhile.

the potential problem is not that the children can't handle the intensity of birth or that you don't want them there (although i suppose that's possible too) it is that YOU might become DISTRACTED. afterall, these are your precious babies....we hardly know the unborn ones comparatively and our thoughts are naturally going to drift to them. distractions (even as precious as our children) can make the birth more difficult.

if you hear your four year old crying and your pushing a baby out it is certainly better to KNOW there is someone to explain things to her, get her some soymilk, and hold her in their lap.

midwives and moms can always adapt, but best case scenario someone else is supporting the kids while the midwives and your partner support you and you are in charge of nothing but birthing.

hope that doesn't sound abrasive or harsh; i've been moody and dh worked 80+ hours this week.....................
#13 of 103 Old 12-19-2004, 09:03 PM

No worries, fromscatteredtribe, I hear what you are saying and I don't disagree. What my own preference is, though, is to have people who can come and take DD to their homes if it becomes to much either for her or for myself. I agree that you cannot predict how a child will feel in a birth situation, and nor can I predict how *I* will feel about her being here. My hope is that she can be here, however we will have ample back-up supports if that proves not to be possible. For me, though, I would be no more comfortable having extra people attending the birth than I would listening to a distressed DD. Ok, maybe a *bit* more comfortable, but it's certainly not my preference. I hope that makes sense.

Luckily, we will have 2 midwives (1 can and will act as a that extra support if needed), and with any fortune my DH will be here. For us, this is how we prefer it ~ just the midwives & our immediate family.

Thank you for saying this though. It means that you care, and I appreciate that so much.

p.s. hope DH is home for a bit, so you can both have a bit of R&R time.
#14 of 103 Old 12-19-2004, 09:14 PM

Oh, by the way, I'd meant to mention how much I appreciated you sharing your personal experience with birthing without your DH present. It was very reassuring and helped me to reach a level of peace Thank you.
#15 of 103 Old 12-19-2004, 09:48 PM

thanks.

i think it is still a pretty big disappointment for dh. he wishes i would have called sooner. i'd been saying for weeks ds3 would come on the 18th (10 days early) and he had a flight out on the 17th for five days. i told him i was having mild pains but they CERTAINLY couldn't be labor and he cancelled the flight. three or four hours later the contractions were five minutes apart and he got the last flight out of phoenix on my sis's credit card (very expensive) and was in a layover in detroit when ds3 was born. i was 7cm when midwives came (they didn't think i was but 3 for the way i was talking) and i was offering drinks and rearranging furniture...still no pain.

i was not disappointed because i had to be strong and was given much grace but my husband is VERY connected to our children and sad about it.

he hates working so much now but it keeps our phone and electric on; keeps food on the table; and will pay our 400 dollar co-pay for the homebirth.

we both have better attitudes than ever even with tiny amounts of sleep and tons of chaos, because while the debt is still there; we have a refrigerator with food and no one repo'd the cars. it takes some pressure off.

we wanted to be professors..finish our phd's before having kids, but got married at 21 on spring break out senior year of college and got pregnant two months later. we are 29, with 200,000 dollars in student loans 50,000 in debt; no home; no assets; with a fourth (surprise) child on the way...

BUT we love each other an awful lot and know things will get better someday
#16 of 103 Old 12-19-2004, 10:10 PM

It sounds like everyone is looking towards birth. I think I'm still in denial. Things are just so hetic lately that I can't imagine adding a baby into the mix. I did mostly pack the birth center bag though. DS helped me with that. I have a comfy sweatsuit which has gotten too short so I desided to take that as my going home outfit. I was throwing it in the bag just so I would stop wearing it and ds wanted to know what I was doing and then he wanted to make sure that I had pleanty of things in my bag

We haven't had our birthing class in two weeks now. Last week our douls was out of town for a doula thing and this week she had a cold and the other couple in the class were having some problems. Our doula called yesterday evening to let us know that the class was off becuase she was off to the hospital to be with them, she's not due until the end of February. So I am hoping everything is ok with them. She was having some problems a couple of weeks ago and spent most of the night in the hospital.

Well I'm off to soak in the tub. I feel like I am 9 months pregnant and about 80 years old tonight

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#17 of 103 Old 12-19-2004, 11:44 PM

Hey Az - Ikwym - I sort of wish I didn't feel so old... but hey, dh has been a real sport all day. I've really just stopped doing stuff - cooking, cleaning etc. on wkends. Either he does it or it doesn't get done. No cleaning got done, but he took dd and her bud and got an x-mas tree, got all the stuff out of the attic, put away stuff from the car, took kids to lunch, and made dinner...so no complaints here!

I'm a real alligator, recently, too. Snapping at everyone, esp. dd (poor thing). I try to apologise if she's not being TOO annoying (which is about 50-50)... I do wish I was better at keeping a little of this in...anyone got a rec. on how to get better at that? bite tongue? Dig fingernails into palm? counting only works once or twice a day, otherwise I just plain run out of steam for it.

I did finish my x-mas cards! Funny, for a jewish kid, but since most of our friends at least celebrate the 'holiday season' I try to get them out every year. I give myself credit, since I've added a bunch of dh's friends/family to the list and he never! sent out cards. huh.

Ok, I've got a picture to send to shutterfly, so next I'll try to get on line to them and see if I can't figure this out. Hopefully you'll see a post soon! Cheers, andy

#18 of 103 Old 12-20-2004, 12:36 AM

Ok, if this works, let me know... I can be really thick about these kinds of things...

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBOXLFi3bN3Dg

#19 of 103 Old 12-20-2004, 01:09 AM

It works!!! And you look awesome!!! It looks nice & winter-y there. Are you enjoying the snow, or cursing it? We're missing it this year, so throw a snowball or 2 for me, will ya?
#20 of 103 Old 12-20-2004, 01:15 AM

Oh, I love all the pictures. Everyone looks great!

All is well here. The sinus infection is clearing up. I had an appt with my mw today. All is good, except I had trace proteins, so she had to draw blood. No sysmptoms of anything, just protein. I told her it is because she is making me eat so much protein due to anemia

I also keep wondering about ds during the birth. I wanted my sister here, but she is due March 4, so she can't travel really. My mom refuses to be here, because she thinks we are insane for having a homebirth. I have had several friends offer to watch ds, but I just don't know. I would like him here with someone devoted just to him, but I am not sure I want anyone here - iykwim....

Proudmom
#21 of 103 Old 12-20-2004, 01:59 AM

Hi everyone....

We are going to start seeing baby annoucements anyday from you early Jan folks....

I loved seeing the belly pics. Husband is currently modifying our old wedding web page to add a place for baby stuff, so we'll probably put belly pics up there. I'll let you know. It is fun to see all your bellies and put faces (and bellies) to the names.

Kathy, I just had a mom to be who went 38 weeks last time go 41 weeks 3 days with #2. She had an appointment for a green card at 41 weeks, and worried about it the whole time she would miss it. (It takes 1 1/2 years here to get another appointment if you miss it!). She even wanted me to go with her. She kept that baby in till the appointment was over! I see that al ot, if that helps. If there is a reason not to go into labor, many don't. Last time this girl went into labor after she picked her mom up from the airport, which was the milestone she worried about in that pregnancy.

I am 34 weeks, three days....No more preterm labor, that's mostly a memory. Still getting my nice weekly work up of midwfe appt (my cervix was long and closed, it was pretty short and soft before), then accupuncture (she said I am better don't need bed rest, but still take it easy), then massage with earth-grandma friend (she's doing this weekly as a gift , and then good nurturing food form her. Finally have time to go to the chiropractor again too, which is good cause my low back kills. I love having healer friends that can give me the five star treatment for free!

Otherwise, I had a busy week with two births I attended as midwife. They were lovely and short. Baby was not liking the noises of a long pushing phase though...I am feeling mor eopen in lots of ways and after that birth i was feeling kind of done and ready to just focus on me...one more birth, which will happen this week, to go to and then I can be off work for good. Also had our big birth center holiday party Saturday night, which was fun and well attended. I just ate too much weird party food that kept me up all night...

My cousin/mom/sister planned my shower and it became a pain, they ...the timing, the who to invite, etc. Was a quite pain actually. It is the day after christmas. I hope I feel better about it as the time nears.

I am waking with horrible heartburn, I feel like I can only sleep good on an empty stomach---I end up vomiting at 3:30 am half the time. Yuk. Having a that low back pain, too, which make sme feel like a little old lady. In last week's thread you were talking about not carrying things. It does feel kinda lazy, but it is a pain to bend over, etc. If I drop something it's a double "darn", one that I dropped it, one that I gotta figure a way to get it up...

ANyway, everyone take care, enjoy having your other kids at home if this is your school week off...Heidi
#22 of 103 Old 12-20-2004, 10:21 AM

Brrrr! it's cold here! 5 out, with windchills to -20, and my coat doesn't close anymore!!!! We have a really old house (with really old windows!) and we never close the curtains in the living room because we like to look out... but last night it was like sitting outside, the drafts were so strong! So I closed the BIG heavy curtains and it's almost warm in here now.

It's nice to see pictures of everyone! I thought there might be a decent one of either me or belly in our gallery, but none of them are very good. Dh has taken pictures of me/belly recently so I'll try to get him to upload those instead. The ones from T'giving/shower all have boxes in front of my belly.

MW appt. today. Last week she and I agreed on a plan of attack for the gbs. Apparently the labs just do a +/- on the swab, they don't bother to check and see if any of the abx are resistant. What a waste of information to not do that! In college I had a long string of abx resistant uti, so I always made them grow and check for resistance before taking the abx. In all the medical stuff I've been reading, they suspect at least 5% resistance to penicilin, and 5-20% resistance to ampicilin. That's just too high for me, since the drug of choice at our hospital is ampi! So today we'll reswab, check urine too, and I'll be on my way.

Dh has been giving pep talks to my belly about showing up before the end of the year for tax credits. I laugh at him when he does this, and I am really hoping that this babe is late, not early. 1/3 is the Monday after New Year's, which means all of our family/friends will be going back to work after being home, dh's grandparents will be on their way to Florida for 2 months, and the family from Germany will be home as well. I really don't want to deal with all of these people and a first babe at the same time. So 1/3 or later cuts down all the people on vacation who MUST meet the baby, sends my SIL back to school during the day instead of insisting on being here, and makes my life generally happier.

Since I have to go out in the crazy cold today, I'm going to stop and get blinds for the bedrooms (ours are old icky metal ones) and we need food too. The fridge is remarkably empty. Tomorrow dh and I are meeting the backup mw - mine is going on a cruise from xmas to new year! I told her we'd be glad to go with her so she can catch this babe. But I'm sure babe will hang on for her to return, jetlagged and sunburned, to catch this babe.

Have a good one, I'm enjoying the first day of break.

Lisa

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#23 of 103 Old 12-20-2004, 11:08 AM

Good morning & happy Monday everyone! Am I the only one who loves the beginning of the work week? I just feel so scattered and aimless on the weekends. DH is still going strong on the last bit of his thesis, so the weekends aren't really weekends for us, if that makes any sense.

Well, I seem to be making up double time this week for my earlier posting lags!

Proudmom, I completely understand what you are saying about not being sure if you want someone else there for the birth. We are in a similar situation; DD will be around 2 1/2 when the baby comes. We have 2 midwives, one of which can act as a bit of a support to Tessa if DH is either a) involved with me or b) not here. Also, what we've decided is to have a supply of people at the ready to come and take her if that becomes necessary. We don't have any family within 2,500 miles, and since we only moved here in late August there is no one I feel close enough to that I'd want them at the birth. I think I'm a pretty private birther anyway, so the thought of more people does not = merrier to me! If it's any comfort, my midwife has attended over 1,000 births and says she has wonderful experiences with small children present. She doesn't feel that we *need* anyone specific for DD, and both herself and our other midwife are happy to give her a snuggle if she needs it. Maybe talk to your midwife about it?

Heidi, thank you so much for sharing your experiences! I have heard from many people now how powerful the will can be in determining when labor happens, and I believe baby will wait for Daddy to come home I'm glad that pre-term looks to be a thing of the past. It sounds like you are getting lots of great pampering! Sorry that you're getting the heartburn. Ugh, now is the time you want to enjoy that night of sleep, hey? Can you have something very light before bed to help soothe your tummy without it keeping you awake? Maybe even a glass of chocolate soymilk would help? (SILK tastes great!)

Lisa, are you Canadian? I notice you say -20, and I can't imagine that's F! We are transplanted Canadians ourself, and trying to adjust to a mild AL winter. Of course, this morning's temperatures of -6C/21F is helping out a LOT with that! :LOL Enjoy meeting your backup midwife tomorrow!
#24 of 103 Old 12-20-2004, 12:39 PM

Kathy, Oh no, not Canadian.. just stuck in Ohio in the snow belt! -20 windchill is NOT my idea of a good day to go out, especially since none of my maternity clothing fits now, and I can't zip my coat! Usually December is just 33-40, we rarely have snow for xmas, but this is one freak cold snap that is supposed to last at least through the weekend. 100 miles south of here it's just as cold, but no snow. Go figure.

It's funny, I told dh that my last day of work (last Fri.) would be the last time he'd see me in normal clothing, that I intended to wear pjs and sweats from here on out. Sadly, when I put on a pair of pants this morning, I couldn't get them to go more than 1/3 up my belly, and they wouldn't stay there. So I AM wearing a pair of red sweats that come up over my belly (oh I look so lovely!) and I'm headed out into the wild cold of the Cleveland suburbs. If I weren't carrying a hippity hop on my stomach, I might be embarrassed to go outside.

Going to leave a honey do list for dh - he'll be home for lunch after his final exam but I'll be gone by then. I really want him to dump the camera into a folder so I can play with the pics, and maybe put one up here. Came up with some great birth annc. to make too, but that really depends on baby being here for xmas, although I have been thinking about how to modify them for a new year's babe.

Lisa

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#25 of 103 Old 12-20-2004, 01:49 PM

Kathy, I'm glad you've found some peace about your DH's trip. Did he move the interview up to the 10th? It's good that they'll fly him home if you do go into labor.

Beautiful pictures! thanks for posting, everyone. Karen, what a lovely belly.
My friend took some great pictures of my yesterday. I'll upload them in a day or two.

Lisa, have you tried wearing your husband's coat? That's what I do. It goes all the way around the belly.

Last night I wore myself out making lasagna. We have a carry-in dinner tonight (goodie) and I made an extra to freeze until the birth. How industrious.

For a Christmas present, DH bought me one of those big puffy round stuffed animals that are in carts in the middle of the malls lately. Have you guys seen those? He bought me the frog. I laugh every time I look at it, it is so funny.
He had to give it to me early because he couldn't figure out how to wrap it. What is it with men and wrapping? Another one he just taped the store bag closed, a third was gift-wrapped at the store, and the last one he put in a shoe box and had me wrap it.

Hurray for Christmas, in five more days! Is anyone else travelling? We're driving 7-8 hours on Friday to my extended family in Tennessee. It'll be worth it because they'll make a big deal out of me.
#26 of 103 Old 12-20-2004, 02:36 PM

Happy monday morning! It's 7:30 am and I'm already feeling like it'll be a lazy day.... our fridge is deperately in need of some veggies, but the thought of dealing with the masses (well sort of, I live near a smallish town) is too icky to me. We'll see if I can brave the outdoors later.

andy- you look great. Kudos to you for going out in that cold- brrrr- and baring your belly- though I'm sure that the little one is helping keep you warm. And your Halloween costume was sooooo funny! I love the shot from the back!

re: the kids at the birth theme (which seems to be a reccuring theme for many of us!). I have been to plenty of births where there were kids/ toddlers with no extra support person. Mostly they've been perfectly fine- seriously. It depends on the kid and what they are like. I can only really recall one girl who the dad went to wake up when mom was ready to push who freaked out.... she would only have her mom come get her (in transition, out of the tub, to carry her daughter into the other room). But this was a kid who was 3 and had ONLY bonded with her mom- never had been alone with anyone else- not even dad.... so it's unusual.
You sort of have to follow your gut on this one and think about your child and what triggers him/ her.
If you have mw(s) there, who the kid is comfy with, then does it sound feasible for your kid to sit with them while the birth is happening? or for one of them to get them a drink/ food, etc...?
I've also seen that the mom will labor lightly during the day and then when the kid goes to sleep for the night, things start happening.
you just never know.

Heidi- you're STILL attending births! wow! I miss the mamas and the births and kinda offered my partner mw to come if she needs me, but she's so snesitive to putting me out. Doesn't want me to have to drive far and all that. I'd love to be there for soem fast ones though!
sorry to hear about the heartburn too!!! I'm, thankfully, getting it much more infrequently these days and I'm thrilled about it!

My dh completely freaked yesterday when I mentioned that if this baby is like my last, that it could be here in 2 1/2 weeks. OMG! He just was thinking that Jan is way far off or something.... hah! I know it's easier having them inside, than out, but I'd sure like to not have SOOOO much pelvic pressure. ack!

sorry for the tome!
Karen
#27 of 103 Old 12-20-2004, 02:56 PM

Lisa, for your information....you normally just get postive /negative result on a b-strep test, but the midwife can ask for ABX sensitivity as well. It is available but not done routinely. You can ask for it even after the test is submitted, (like you did your appointment before you read this) because they grow out the culture for three days, so it will be at the lab.

They do sensitivity testing just like in Microbiology in college- then they'll put a few little disks of various antibiotics on the grown out culture in the petri dish and see what one makes a big enough kill circle to count as sensitive.

I do this occasionally if someone is allergic to a particular antibiotic and has strep. Just have the midwife ask for a culture and sensitivity, and indicate if there are any antibiotics classes you are allergic to, or specifically want sensitivities on.

Heidi
#28 of 103 Old 12-20-2004, 04:29 PM

Ok, I have two words for you mamas...Cold Stone. Its like a little slice of heaven :LOL They just opened one here, and OMG -its fabulous. (Its an ice cream place, where you pick the flavor and they mix it up right there for you)

I am so jealous of everyone who lives in cold weather. I miss the snow so much! Its just not Christmas without it. Plus, its friggin' hot here - especially at night, and it makes it even harder to get comfy at night.

Kathy, I'm so glad things are working out, and I bet your little one hangs on until papa is there. I really believe birth has its way of working things out like that.

On children, I suppose its really an individual thing. My three year old was at home alone with me for all of my last labor, up until the last half an hour when I started barfing and HE started barfing...so my sister took that as a cue that maybe it was starting to get to be a bit much for him, and took him for a walk. I think it was a really great last kind of "him and me" bonding experience. If that makes any sense. Anyways, it was very special.

Ok, that's all I really have to say for now. I can't sit in this chair for very long or my butt falls asleep. Have a great Monday! I love seeing all your pictures.
#29 of 103 Old 12-20-2004, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamaya
Ok, I have two words for you mamas...Cold Stone. Its like a little slice of heaven :LOL They just opened one here, and OMG -its fabulous. (Its an ice cream place, where you pick the flavor and they mix it up right there for you).
OK, I'm in shock cuz we've had a Cold Stone here for a while now (at least a year).... BEFORE you? What's up with that??? Hilo is soooooo slow usually, LOL!

I actually prefer Baskin Robbins- I think it's a comfort food thing because I went there growing up- and I still get the same flavor every time- jamoca almond fudge- now THAT'S heaven!
#30 of 103 Old 12-20-2004, 06:44 PM

i can see that my opinions about children in labor are going to be really unpopular here, although like i said in real life all the midwives i meet make it clear early on that there needs to a plan of action regarding children that does not include them or the birthing couple. it's not so much that i think they can't handle it. one of the reasons we choose homebirth is because we want to participate as a family together, but i see the practical side of having extra care too. we have gone out of our way to build and sustain relationships here in our new home state (far from most of our loved ones) to ensure that we have that kind of support for this birth. although i am still not sure who i want there myself, i need several options and my plan has to get put in place soon. in a hospital birth i would never dream of asking a labor/delivery nurse to hold my child or an OB to go get her a juice box, etc. that just isn't their job. the midwives are hired to care for the birthing mother and child and when they bring an assistant they are usually there to observe the birth. i love my midwives and they are great with the kids, but i am selfish and want their attention the whole time (even if i don't NEED them to do anything for me at the time). i think it is better that my three little guys (ages 6.5, 4.5, and 2) have someone doting on them while dha nd the professionals i've hired dote on me. later we will work out the balances but birth is really emotional and intense and amazing and i want to give my full attention to the process. i don't want crowds of strangers or people who make any of us uncomfortable either, so we've spent nine months trying to build relationships. we've had to anyway because two of our kids have suffered pretty bad asthma over the years and have needed to be hospitalized. without extra support (especially during RSV season when kids can't come to the hospital) i'd always have to be alone with the sick child and not see my other children or husband.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page