I am being induced tomorrow..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 12-31-2004, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I think I am being induced tomorrow. My BP is sky high and I can either elect for a repeat c-section or be induced. I swore after my last induction experience I would never be induced again, but this will be my only chance at a VBAC.... : I am really, really nervous about this so I appreciate any good vibes all you MDC mamas can send! I hope it works this time! :
#2 of 17 Old 12-31-2004, 01:12 AM

I will be thinking about you tomorrow and sending you positive birth vibes. You are a strong woman who can accomplish many things - remember that!

Proudmom
#3 of 17 Old 12-31-2004, 01:54 AM

My understanding is that pitocin and cytotec are not at all safe for VBACs.

How are you being induced?

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#4 of 17 Old 12-31-2004, 02:00 AM

i just wanted to send you peaceful birthing vibes the last post mentioned the unsafetiness of pitocin, so i hope that doesn't scare you too much. it is true that it raises the chance of uterine rupture, but i'm not sure how much...i'm not sure how they were going to induce you, but maybe if you feel ok with it, you could try natural induction techniques tonite. Like nipple stimulation, and the all time favorite or making love with your dh I've read a lot on natural induction techniques because i wanted to try some of them, and from what i understand nipple stimulation is the safest way to induce becuase it releases the bodies natural oxytocin, instead of using herbs like the blue and black cohosh, or other drugs like pitocin. So if your going to be induced tommorrow anyway, it wouldn't hurt to try to do it naturally tonite Anyway you do it, i hope you have a beautiful birth
#5 of 17 Old 12-31-2004, 02:09 AM

Good luck mama, I can't wait to read your birth story!!!

Katie
#6 of 17 Old 12-31-2004, 02:34 AM

~~~~good birthing vibes~~~
#7 of 17 Old 12-31-2004, 02:52 AM

::birthing vibes:: (Wow, there isn't a graphic birthing icon, is there? What an omission. :-))

Oye Yemaya oloto
#8 of 17 Old 12-31-2004, 07:35 AM

Remeber to bring essential oils or aromatherpy stuff or any other comfort measures you can think of....I send you blessing and courage, you can do it! It is also totally great to have the courage to do what your baby needs you to do- if induction is needed, then you will be able to handle it! BP rising is no joke. I hope you stay well and baby comes easily....Heidi
#9 of 17 Old 12-31-2004, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamas! It is 3:45 AM and I can't seem to sleep.... I have tried all the in-home techniques. I have a few contractions, but nothing seems to develop. I am nervous about the safety too, but the risk is actually pretty minimal for Pitocin (cytotec is not recommended). I think the incidence of uterine rupture (I have done my research, but I can't remember the exact numbers) rises from about .18% for a non-medicated VBAC to about .35% with Pit. I had a long talk with one of the nurses in L&D today and she said in her 20 years she has only witnessed one uterine rupture - and that was with a woman having her 10th child. The nice thing is that the nurses at the hospital here are pretty crunchy and open, as is my mw and fp....

My biggest fear is that I won't be able to handle the pain. My first labor was in a large university hospital. I chose it as a compromise because my husband was insistant on a hospital birth, but they had a great midwifery practice there. Turns out the midwives were all but absent and I was at the mercy of the residents.... I had to be induced after being overdue for 2 weeks (I tried everything - cohosh, homeopothy, special herbal tinctures, etc) and the Cytotec send me into severe cramping. I also had back labor because my ds was posterior. I finally had to ask for pain relief meds and they were like kids in a candy shop - I am not even sure what I ended up getting.... it was awful. When I was able to get the epidural, it didn't work, then it was re-adjusted, then if fell out, etc. Basically it was done by a resident three times and never worked, and to top it off, she sat there arguing with the attending in front of me! Obviously, the whole ordeal ended in a c-section. My son was 9lbs 6 oz and posterior, so that probably would have been the outcome no matter where I was, but the whole experience was so traumatic.

Anyway, that was probably too much info, but it feels good to get it all out! I am just hoping and praying that with the right support and planning, this birth can go more smoothly....
#10 of 17 Old 12-31-2004, 09:34 AM

Good luck to you Delfina and here's hoping for some gentle birthing for you and your babe. It's always good to keep in mind that we are not in control of birth and that it's unpredictable.

Let us know how it goes!
#11 of 17 Old 12-31-2004, 09:58 AM

Good Luck Delfina! I'll be thinking of you & wishing you a beautiful birth. I can't wait to hear about your new little one!
#12 of 17 Old 12-31-2004, 10:14 AM

Sending lots and lots of loving and productive birthing vibes your way mama!
#13 of 17 Old 12-31-2004, 12:45 PM

Happy birth blessings to you mama!!!

We will all be thinking of you & waiting to hear the good news!
#14 of 17 Old 12-31-2004, 01:40 PM

I don't know if you have left already, but if you haven't, can I make a suggestion?

Search your heart, search your mind, and find anything, any little thing, any big thing, that is bothering you. Talk about it, let it all spill out. Get it off your chest.

IME, if there is something that you are stuck on emotionally, or mentally, labor doesn't go smoothly- it stalls.

Our minds are incredibly powerful.

Best of luck to you. I wish you a smooth birth, with minimal pain.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#15 of 17 Old 12-31-2004, 06:30 PM

Delfina-

Hugs to you mama! I'm sending you lots of hugs and gentle birthing vibes . Please be gentle with yourself, and know that you are doing the best you can. I can't wait to hear your birth story and hear about your little new year's baby!!!

Is there any last minute things that you need to do/are waiting for? It seems like sometimes once those things are done, whatever they may be, baby will come.
#16 of 17 Old 01-01-2005, 12:11 AM

Best of luck MamaSister! Know that we are all out here rooting for you both! Lots of love, Andy

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#17 of 17 Old 01-01-2005, 02:34 PM

Thinking of you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page