Jan. Mamas Jan. 2-Jan. 8 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 200 Old 01-04-2005, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human_Being
I buy all my bulk herbs from mountain rose herbal on the web.
I have ordered from them as well, and I have been pleased with the products and service.

Proudmom
#62 of 200 Old 01-04-2005, 04:38 PM

Thanks for all the info Human Being. I went and did a google search and found a nice herbal preparation at growinglife.com, and ordered already. They had a mixture with 5 or 6 good things (comfrey, witchhazel, etc) and little bags for brewing in the tub.

I plan to make a batch of "tea" for preparing "twatcycles" (tee hee) and also a batch for my peri bottle. I will use the peri bottle with a little liquid witch hazel to ease/clean with urination. This worked great last time. I appreciate the note on arnica montana too.

That reminds me...any advice on non-medicated options for "after pains". Mine were a serious bitch last time (worse than the labor pain by far) and lasted for a few days. I am dreading their return (likely to be stronger this time too I hear!)

That's all folks!

Mar
#63 of 200 Old 01-04-2005, 04:48 PM

Hello - mw confirmed the head down position, although while poking (gently) the baby turned sideways. This kid is amazing! She says there's still quite a bit of side - to - side room for it to manouver.

I've had good luck with Mtn. Rose too. Some other sites for herbs that I've used for one thing or another are:

www.shop.nuturecenter.com

www.growinglife.com

www.mymamabear.com

all have different stuff, but interesting and worth looking at. Shop around to find the deal that works best for you. I rec. you just buy the basics (arnica, maybe some pulsatilla (good for fear during labor), something beautiful to smell during labor, and the sitz bath). Also if you can find it, some Rescue Remedy is awesome - either tincture or cream.

Karen - UGH! Dh just went to the dentist for a toothache - now he's on penn., which is a bummer because we were doing the probiotic thing so that gbs doesn't become a problem... I think we've eliminated semen as a prostaglandin source...sigh. I also just made an apt. for dd to go and probably get a tooth pulled. The tooth that's coming in is totally crooked because it's under two teeth, only one of which fell out. The other is pushing it towards the back of her mouth. Ugh. Anyone else go through this??? The appt. isn't till the end of the month, though, so maybe we'll just have had a baby and dh will have to take her?! I'm expecting to have baby the weekend of the 28th sometime...so I may also have to flip over into Feb... there will be others, too.

It actually sounds like we're all doing pretty well as far as uncommon stuff is concerned! It's great to hear the good news! If we weren't full of some swelling/sleep deprivation/discomfort of the normal type, well, that'd be pretty ABNORMAL! Keep thinking good thoughts people... some snow and ice is due here around thursday...if it can stray over into friday, then maybe mother dearest won't come!!! Caio bellas! andy

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#64 of 200 Old 01-04-2005, 04:59 PM

Oh my, I leave for lunch and it's a chatterfest! I love love love coming back to find something to read!!

I'm excited that we're adding more mamas to the beads, this is quite an interesting group full of wonderful mamas to share birth vibes and blessings. Dh doesn't quite understand, but that's ok!

Went to work, visited for a bit, fixed a problem they had, went to lunch and Sam's Club (evil empire!) with my little brother, and now I'm home. Going to clean the stove now, it's nasty!

I don't think I'm nesting, I just feel like after sitting so still last week to wait for my midwife to come home, I'm now in need of making up the things I missed.

Lisa

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#65 of 200 Old 01-04-2005, 05:04 PM

And I'm going bananas

I WANT MY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone send me a or
#66 of 200 Old 01-04-2005, 05:20 PM

Heidi, wow, thanks for all the info. I'll add those books to my wish list.
birthwithlove has WAY too many choices. I have no idea what to pick out of their extensive lists. I'll try some of the other ones. I have to make the "twatcicles" - that's hilarious.

Jesi, you're making me glad I'm only 36 weeks. No hurry yet here, especially since the swelling is better today. I got one of the guys to move my computer so I can prop my feet up on it. Ah, I love my lazy desk job.

Lisa, sounds like your day was productive. Don't you love it when you can drop in for a few minutes and fix something other people were really struggling with?

Andy, that sucks about your husband's antibiotics, and about your daughter's tooth. Ow! Malama, maybe they'll just pull that nasty mercury-filled tooth. Hmm, but then what will you use for chewing?

Jess, sorry you are feeling depressed! These hormones are crazy. You should have that good cry. Sometimes ya gotta cry just for being full of emotion, even if it is not sadness.

Proudmom, that's hilarious about the 2.5 ft scarf. I feel better about my flathead hat now.

Kathy, thanks for the knitting tips! So far the knitting is fun and very relaxing. Someday I hope to make soakers, maybe for the next baby. This one, hopefully I'll finish the baby blanket before he's too big for it.
#67 of 200 Old 01-04-2005, 05:40 PM

Oh yeah, I do knit, really reeeaaally sssss l o w l yyyy; and I haven't actually finished anything yet, but I'm close to having a doll blanket or maybe a soaker. Must say I had SUCH a good laugh about the flat hat!!! At least you FINISHED! I have about 15 lines of 18 stitches (some have more, some have less...). I may end up just using the whole ball of yarn because I have NO idea how to end this thing. I try to knit a little before I fall asleep each night LOL! Most nights I have to yank out the whole row...I think I've been working on this particular piece for about 3 months (yikes!).

We have birth class tonight - looking forward to seeing who else shows up - and we're making twatsicles too - that's part of dh's job (that and sterilizing the cord tape). Since I did the REST, I figure it's good for him to do some of it...keep the big guy in the loop, ya know.

'kay bye!

#68 of 200 Old 01-04-2005, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeca
we're making twatsicles too
Ummm..... may I ask if this is what I am assuming it is?? :
#69 of 200 Old 01-04-2005, 07:42 PM

OK, Huge disappointment here. I went to my dr. appt yesterday at 10:45. He checked me and said I was 3 cm. At about 1:30 I was walking through Target and it feels like someone is ripping my cervix open. The pains were about 15 minutes apart. Over the next 7 (freeking) hours the got closer together and more intense. So I'm thinking ok, I'm in labor. Call the doc, get the kids to the sitters, go to the hospital. Super condecending nurse check me and says "hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 3 cm"

Then gives me this whole lesson about how my contraction will change and feel different when I am really in labor. (yeah, here I am, the labor rookie that has already delivered 3 kids!!!!! : )

So I end up staying there the whole friggin night and then I get to come home with the baby still on the inside. I know he will come when he is ready and he wasn't ready, but I was just so pumped to see my boy it was such a let down to find out, not yet.

Ok, I'm done boo hooing!!!!!!

Let's go have some babies!!!!!!!

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
#70 of 200 Old 01-04-2005, 07:42 PM

Hi mamas!

I missed you all. So I'm just checking in. Sorry about your tooth Karen Maybe try some clove oil on it. That will at least numb it up, also warm salt water rinses will help with infection.

As for natural afterpain remedies - I found that 2000 mg of Cal/mag was the most helpful. You can take it during labor too to help with cramping. I tried some afterpain tincture and motrin and it didn't really help. Also, gotta have the hot pack! That is most important.

If anybody wants beads still, go ahead and add me to the list. I actually stopped by the bead store on the way back from the doctors office today, but didn't get anythign because Makai was going a tad crazy and the bead ladies were giving me dirty looks.

I am a knitting freak! I've made tons of stuff and I just ordered an obscene amount of little turtle knits yarn in girly colors today!!! I'm so excited! Girl stuff- whoo-hoo!!! I'm also going to make the anouk pinafore from www.knitty.com.

Violet is doing really well. We've had some jaundice issues the past couple days due to ABO incompatibility. Doctor was going to admit her to the hospital yesterday if her bili level was over 16. It was 15.9 -haha. But she had some great nursing sessions, and gained 2 1/2 ounces last night! So now she is back up to her birth weight. She's also alot more awake today, and we finally had a bit of sun so I sat out on the lanai with her this morning. I think it helped.

Anyways, take care all! I'll keep checking in to see how you are all doing.
#71 of 200 Old 01-04-2005, 08:03 PM

I'm back online after what feels like forever with my dsl being down I looks like things have been busy around here. I've only read this thread so I'm not all the way caught up.

On the vagina swelling, I've been having that for a few months now, mostly just on one side. I had one of the mw's check it out and she says its not veins its just from the pressure of the baby. I've actually gotten so swollen that I couldn't pee. I had to take a soak in the tub first. That sucked!! My advise is soaking and tucks pads, cool tucks pads.

Pregnancy-wise everything seems to be going well. I don't think I am going to make it until Jan 29 though. The baby's head is way down in my pelvis. I thought she had dropped before, but she has now. I had my 36 wk appt yesterday and the mw felt around and her head is right above my pubic line! Yikes! I had forgotten how incredibly uncomfortable this is. She dropped just for the mw too, because she wasn't that low earlier in the day. Also my hormones have been out of control. I've been having the worst hot flashes. Last night I was sleeping naked under a sheet in my 62 degree house, sweating like a pig. Of course I woke up freezing hours later. My emotions have been all over, I thought I was doing a good job keeping it under control. Yesterday I said to dh that I've been feeling hormonal and he let me know that he had notcied Anyone else starving?? I feel like no matter how much I eat that it is not enough.

In other news we got a new puppy. I really think we are crazy. We just got the puppy I got for my birthday last year house trained. But this little guy needed a home he was a x-mas gift for a little guy who turned out to be very very allergic to dogs. Long story short, we now have a 4 month old chihuahua, who is sleeping on my "shelf" right now. He is so small that he is wearing a cut up boys sock as a sweater.

I'm going to try to get caught up, while eating a nice figure eight that dh went to the store to get for me

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#72 of 200 Old 01-04-2005, 08:12 PM

What kind of food is a figure eight?

Mamamaya, thanks for the update! That's great that Violet is doing well, and that you get girly yarns. What will you knit for her first?

Leenie, your day sounds miserable. How frustrating! I'm not looking forward to the "am I in labor or not?" part. At least my midwife will be nicer than that nurse. Yuck.
#73 of 200 Old 01-04-2005, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessitron
What kind of food is a figure eight?
Well I thought everyone knew what a figure eight is, but maybe it is a new england thing? A figure eight is an eight shaped pastry with raspberry jam in one of the circles and lemon in the other with some icing on top. They are very very good and I think a major factor in my 8 pound weight gain in the last month

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#74 of 200 Old 01-04-2005, 08:38 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I got hemmaroids. That has been like my worst nightmare since I was 10 years old. I've had to listen to my mum complain about hers since at least then and how she only has them because my sister's head was so big it messed her up for life. I can honestly say it is nothing at all like I expected. After listening to my mother I thought I would be in total agony. Honestly it hurts more in my cervix when I poo than my bum

#75 of 200 Old 01-04-2005, 09:03 PM

Hola! Twatsocles are frozen herbal pads that you can put on your yoni for after the birth. They are soaked in an herbal bath (usually comfry plus whatever else you happen to slip in) and then frozen 'clean' so that you don't risk infection. They are GLORIOUS on the sore yoni...lemme tell you! We make about a dozen of them and they last about 3 days.

Sorry to hear about the 'roids, Az. I forget - are you planning a water birth? I hear that water birth is the WAY to go if you have them, as it really takes a lot of pressure off the swollen parts.

I sympathize too, Leenie! It sounds like you had all the right symptoms for getting checked, at least! What a bitch! Nurses sometimes don't realize how much power they yield...they can really make/break a woman's spirit. I've finished reading Ina May Gaskins book (homebirth) in which she reports that some number of women end up being less dialated in hospital because of poor emotional support...they actually WERE further along, but then they kind of retract or something. It has to do with the need for a birthing woman to have safety/security, privacy and support during labor, and in fact she rarely gets these in the traditional hospital setting. One of the main reasons we opted out this time around, but I do understand how it can bring a lot of comfort, too. Totally personal. Anyway, is it possible that you WERE further along? just a thought...

Mamamaya! It's great to hear from you and how you and violet are doing! Sounds like a pretty hectic few days...I'm really glad she is doing well now. Dd went through some of that, too...it's pretty nerve wracking. I'm a bit worried about it here, because Jan. gets so little sunshine, and jaundice means a trip to the ER for us...ugh.

Ok, babysitter is here and it's time for class - shalom!

#76 of 200 Old 01-05-2005, 01:04 AM

Geesh, sometimes I look at all the posts and there's no way I can comment on everything!!!

Leenie- what a bummer. You were probably all crampy because of the VE- maybe the doc did a little stretching?? In any case that nurse SUCKED and if you're feeling up to it, a letter might be in order. It's not right for you to be treated so poorly.

So my tooth is not any better and I'll go in tomorrow am and see what the dentist says. Obviously I won't get anything serious done, but will see his opinion is and hopefully theres some gentle thing i can do for a short while until the baby is born. I hope!!!! i went to the hfs to get some clove oil and kava, but no clove oil. so kava it is for now. It works well, but I have to use it often. and I'm not good at that kind of stuff. Pain is always worse at night, so we'll see how I do later.

I guess I have to go make dinner. I hope everyone has a GOOD nights sleep and if not, are in labor!
#77 of 200 Old 01-05-2005, 10:09 AM

GOOOOOD Morning! Before I start cranking the old crock pot, thought I'd say hello - Oh Karen. I am so sad that your tooth did not perform a miracle...how wonderful that would have been! Well, I guess seeing what can be done might give you an unexpected option??? I do sympathize! Maybe one of your neighbors/friends has some clove oil they could drop off??? Also, take some arnica now, before you go in to see dr. dentist...

Birth class last night was WOW - we were the only couple to arrive, I guess a bunch of people were sick. But anyway, we had a private session with our MW and worked on some past birth issues, as well as looking ahead to this one. Very very cool and SO amazingly good for me. Beca was such a difficult birth for me, and I have had residual feelings of inadequacy and anger for so many years, and it was finally time to feel petted and valued for going through 22 hrs. of back labor etc. Because we ended up with an epidural, pitocin and hospital support (but not an assisted delivery, thankfully), it's always been sort of ME who wasn't able to do the home birth 'correctly'. She was in a tough position (posterior brow presentation with fist at ear), and it took a LONG time to push her out (3 hrs.) even once fully dialated... it was brutal for me, and I felt like noone ever came back to me after it was all over and said 'hey, good job mama!' The midwife we had pretty much sucked, never told us she was posterior (maybe she didn't know?) etc.

So we talked a lot about all this last night and it gave dh something to think about this time round. He actually said to me that he's really glad we're going to hb this time because he knows I can do this, even if it's hard. And if we do end up back in the hospital, then we do, but we're going into this so much better educated and informed.

Allright, thanks for the moment to unleash. I'd best get something cooking for later, as today is BROWNIES (I love doing the brownies thing - we do cool crafts and the girls are a lot of fun!), so we don't have time when I get home for anything really yummy. Hope you all have a great day! Andy

#78 of 200 Old 01-05-2005, 10:25 AM

Oooh busy again! Too many people to read and write to.

Andy, we have 1/2" of ice topped with 2" of snow here, with weather warnings through tomorrow night for more ice/rain/snow to add to the mess. The plows just came by and they actually made the road worse, as I suspect the snow would have given some traction, now we have one big ice blanket in the street. Good luck!

Found my beads, must get them in envelopes today!

Lisa

#79 of 200 Old 01-05-2005, 12:18 PM

Hello everyone! I have been lurking for some time but thought it would be silly to introduce myself since I was due so soon and am new to the whole discussion board thing - apparently my little one has other plans so what have I got to lose? "Due" dates are a pipe dream anyway. I have to say though that you are all very inspiring with your confidence and positive baby vibes!

I am a first time mommy and now entering the netherland of postdates inertia - is anyone else out there sick of the world treating you like a ticking bomb when you attempt to explore the outside world without a dh or dp in tow? Yesterday I was in Whole Foods and the clerk actually proceeded to tell me about her sister who had to have her baby "taken from her" because "the Lord didn't make women to birth no 9 pound babies!" I wanted to scream, but in my shock could not think of a suitable comeback. My babe looks to be a big one so cheers to all you moms out there that appreciate women being able to birth big babes!

Joey EDD 1/3/05

Christine, wife to my dh since 10/03, mama to my three monkeys ~:-) ds1/6/05, dd9/9/08 and ds 8/3/10

#80 of 200 Old 01-05-2005, 12:32 PM

mamabeca, my first birth sounds similar to yours. Mine was loooong- a hb transport in the end. I had drugs and pit and it took me 3.5 hours to push out my ds. While I was proud of myself and felt it was the right thing to go, there was always a nagging about me "failing" at my HB- which was soooo important to me. I had awesome mw, thankfully, but it was real.
I had to do a lot of healing in my 2nd pregnancy and one mw reminded me that I had to trust that my body knows what to do.... though I had "help", my body did work. My 2nd son's birth was awesome. 4 hours of active labor and maybe 10 minutes of pushing and he was here. It took a lot of effort and concentration, but I did it.
Everyone's experience is different, but know that having a hard first birth does not mean it'll be hard again- and if it is? Well you have the knowledge of what that's like- it's no longer an unknown.
It's great that you were the only ones at your birth class though and had time to work through this stuff with your mw- awesome. You'll do great!!!!

My tooth isn't really hurting this am. It's 5:30 and my appt is at 8:15. I think i'll still go in and talk to him about what's going on and see what he thinks. if the pain doesn't start again then WOO HOO.... I'll deal with it later.

Hope you all have a WONDERFUL day!!!!!
#81 of 200 Old 01-05-2005, 12:40 PM

Hi Joey, welcome to the due date group - Jess and I were also due 1/3. I'm a first timer too. On Monday, the girl at the lingere counter asked me when I was due, and when I said "today" she just about escorted me to the elevator and out of the building. Last night at dinner, the waitress asked when I was due (since it's more than obvious I'm pregnant at this point) and when I said "yesterday" she stuttered something and wandered off, and hardly came back.

Of course I also get random men my dad's age asking when I'm due, and wishing me luck. They are rather cute about it.

I guess this babe is more aware of how ugly January in Ohio is, and is enjoying being warm and snuggled up for as long as possible.

Lisa

#82 of 200 Old 01-05-2005, 12:52 PM

To all the women who have gone past your due date, I Salute You!

I am going crazy!!!!!!!
No contractions, nothing, justa little mucus show and that is it.
: : : : : : : :

I tried to breastfeed my 17 month old (who self weaned at 12 months) last night, he looked at me like WTH are you trying to do!
I'm sssssssoooooooooooo desperate for a "baby" baby. Ds is a baby, but a big boy baby!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
#83 of 200 Old 01-05-2005, 12:53 PM

Ridiculous how people don't realize that EDDs are so arbitrary. As my chiropractor said this morning, "All the apples don't fall off the tree at the same time."

Lisa, your weather sounds dreadful! Here it is rain, rain, and more rain. My husband is going nuts because it leaks into the basement through the wall and he has to suck it up with the shop vac. He sucked a whole shop-vac worth last night (it's a big shop vac) and more this morning, and it'll be very wet again when he gets home. I'll tell him it's better than ice under snow. Where you are, sounds like a good time to keep the baby in for a few days.

Joey, welcome to our happy group.

Malama, your tooth feels better because it fears the dentist. Let us know how your appointment is. 8:15 your time is... when?
#84 of 200 Old 01-05-2005, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessitron
Malama, your tooth feels better because it fears the dentist. Let us know how your appointment is. 8:15 your time is... when?
We're 2 hours behind the west coast- maybe 3? hours behind you??

Forget about those due dates mamas! I never even told anyone what mine is. My dh doesn't even know. And for all of my family and random people who asked, I said the end of the month, maybe even Feb. I've BTDT with the phone calls and all and I will NOT subject myself to that again.
And look at how lame people get when you tell them you were due already or whatever. ugh. Maybe you all can deal with those comments better than I can!

My first ds was born at 42 weeks and the phone did NOT stop ringing. I finally screened all my calls and only answered when the mws called.
#85 of 200 Old 01-05-2005, 01:15 PM

[QUOTE=Malama].
My first ds was born at 42 weeksQUOTE]

I cringe reading that!!.......I will never last two more weeks!!:LOL
#86 of 200 Old 01-05-2005, 01:35 PM

lololol :LOL
My MIL just called. Apparently she just tried to call DH because she was sooooo worried about us and the ice storm and what might happen if we were driving. *of course she's already driven to work and knows the roads are mostly safe* But she called dh and his cell didn't answer, it kicked right to voicemail as if it were turned off. Since she understands this concept, and realized that it didn't ring, she assumed that we must be at the hospital since the only place you have to turn off your phone is in the hospital. So she called my cell, I didn't answer (it's in my purse in another room) and finally she called the house number (wishing I hadn't answered!) to see if I was home.

Anyhow, poor dh is sitting at NASA with no power in his building, so he hooked his cell to the laptop and got online to keep himself amused. So of course it rang right to voicemail. Funny. So I explain all of this to MIL, and she starts asking me if I have any feelings that the baby is coming and when and why wasn't I having contractions, and why wasn't I going to be induced. I answered with something akin to "this baby is smarter than we are, it's cold out there!" and she continued with more crazy questions, like what will we do when the second wave of the storm comes tonight and we can't drive, (uhh, I think the ambulances can drive on ice, they are pretty darn heavy!) and why don't we just head over to the hospital today and wait there all night.. to which I wanted to answer that I'd rather go for an UC in the bathtub than sit at the hospital for no reason!

So I just typed all of this to dh too, he's laughing, and agrees that his mom is a fruitcake. Honestly, I'm very comfortable these days, the stir crazy baby need died down before xmas, and I'll gladly carry around the giant hippity hop on my front side for another week or two.

Lisa

#87 of 200 Old 01-05-2005, 01:44 PM

Well, I hope I don't go past my due date! Since early on in the pg, I was feeling that this baby wouldn't make it to 2005, but the surges I've had have been very inconsistent, and I'm fearing that I might have a repeat of last time where my water breaks and I have to be induced (which would negatively affect the hb). I thought I might be leaking fluid, but I'm pretty sure I'm just peeing my pants a teensy bit. If my water breaks this time, I'm getting me some castor oil, I read about it in Ina May's Guide.
The witch hazel sitz bath worked nicely this morning, btw.
#88 of 200 Old 01-05-2005, 01:47 PM

My first was 42 wks too. Now I tack on a couple of extra weeks to the due date, which is a pretty safe bet. That way if I do go 'over', I'm still in ok shape mentally. Even still, when dd was born at 42 wks, she was COVERED in vernix, which means she wasn't overly mature. She probably could have gone another 5 - 7 days just fine, but I did the castor oil thing because the hospital threatened to induce at 15 days over. ugh. The MW gave me the choice, of course, but it didn't seem to make sense to wait and have to go to hospital just to make THEM happy. She was a good weight, and 22" long, and did fine out, but RELAX mamas!

OUR BABIES KNOW WHEN TO BE BORN!!! RELAX into this. WE are NOT in control, and we SHOULDN'T be. This is not our birthday - we already had that one. This is your turn to help another soul into the world...help...not control. Get your feet up and chill and laugh at people who freak - it's quite funny to watch, actually! :LOL

Thanks for sharing your story Karen - I know in my head that birth is not easy (for anyone involved!), but somehow felt really solo on this. It's nice to share stories and feel that mamaglow that comes from understanding . Your experience sounds a LOT like my own, and I too felt we made the right decision to go to hosp., it was just such a let down. This time I'm packing a little bag, just in case! I ended up in the hospital with NOTHING! I think we were all kind of shocky. The only good part to it all was that dh actually got one night of sleep while we were in hospital and he was at home (7 hrs).

#89 of 200 Old 01-05-2005, 01:51 PM

Hee hee glad to know I am not the only one getting silly comments! The worst is when people call you and tell you their schedule for the next two weeks to let you know when a "good time" for them would be for us to deliver! Humph! Like I can remember their schedules when I can barely remember anything lately!

Oh and by the way (oops!) my name is Christine, my coming babe's name will be Joey (well Joseph Salvatore with the full middle name effect there).

I don't know where he gets this stuff, but my dh told me today that he read somewhere online (he does lots of research on late babes in his spare time) that women with irregular or long menstrual cycles tend to have late babes. I had never heard of this before - not good news for me, but Joey will come when he is ready I suppose. . .

Christine, wife to my dh since 10/03, mama to my three monkeys ~:-) ds1/6/05, dd9/9/08 and ds 8/3/10

#90 of 200 Old 01-05-2005, 01:55 PM

My first was 42 wks too. Now I tack on a couple of extra weeks to the due date, which is a pretty safe bet. That way if I do go 'over', I'm still in ok shape mentally. Even still, when dd was born at 42 wks, she was COVERED in vernix, which means she wasn't overly mature. She probably could have gone another 5 - 7 days just fine, but I did the castor oil thing because the hospital threatened to induce at 15 days over. ugh. The MW gave me the choice, of course, but it didn't seem to make sense to wait and have to go to hospital just to make THEM happy. She was a good weight, and 22" long, and did fine out, but RELAX mamas!

OUR BABIES KNOW WHEN TO BE BORN!!! Jessi - RELAX into this. WE are NOT in control, and we SHOULDN'T be. This is not our birthday - we already did that. This is your turn to help another soul into the world...help...not control. Get your feet up and chill and laugh at people who freak - it's quite funny to watch, actually! :LOL

Thanks for sharing your story Karen - I know in my head that birth is not easy (for anyone involved!), but somehow felt really solo on this. It's nice to share stories and feel that mamaglow that comes from understanding . Your experience sounds a LOT like my own, and I too felt we made the right decision to go to hosp., it was just such a let down. This time I'm packing a little bag, just in case! I ended up in the hospital with NOTHING! I think we were all kind of shocky. The only good part to it all was that dh actually got one night of sleep while we were in hospital and he was at home (7 hrs). I do hope that your tooth stays ok. I hate toothache. Really, back ache and toothache are just unbearable to me and I instantly reach for drugs - the stronger and longer lasting the better. Labor I didn't need drugs for (well, not the first 16 hrs. of contractions anyway!), and I've had stitches in a variety of places without anesthetic, but a little toothache and I'm out for the count. Weird. Anyway, you're very brave! I think going and having them look and see what's up is probably a safe thing to do... they wouldn't do x-rays anyway, would they? Just look around...

Anyone heard anything about almonds for indigestion? I thought I knew about it but I can't find anything online about it and my mw didn't know. Do tell!

Lisa - it's snowing! It probably won't be enough to keep dmama at bay, but I can always hope! I hope you have found a good book to read, curled up and warm! It's the perfect day to find yourself in Tibet or Brazil or someplace amazing... kwim! Enjoy! andy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page