Jan. Mamas Jan. 2-Jan. 8 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 200 Old 01-06-2005, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I think a half decent nights sleep was what I needed! Made lunch for the kiddos (who ate about two bites and blew outta town to the playroom, only to be back in an hour "I'm hungry...oooooh, does that ever get me!), did two loads of laundry, made up the guest room for mother dearest (and THAT was some will power), changed bedshets in our room, cleaned up lunch, made popcorn and got a unicorn DVD going for (now 3) kids, broke up a block fight that threatened to unpend the LR, got out dinner to start in an hour, and am getting ready to send myself that email, relink it to ya'll, and then walk dog/friend home. Finish off laundry, do dinner and that's IT - there will be NO me tonight. No dishes, no clean-up, no walkey doggie, no nothing. First night this week that I get to spend in the Lazy-Boy and my feet are SO up. Snow days are tough, eh! Way I see it is there's a witness to my sloth... ha!

Did I mention I also ate 9 choc. chip cookies? They've been big on my to do list recently. I made up a batch of dough last weekend and froze cookie size pieces, and have been making a dozen or so all week - like every day...all that work is going to be for naught, as I think I'm gaining like 20 lbs this month in ccc's alone! ugh. But they are SO what I am wanting - that and spicy food. Tonight I'm making a ginger tamari thai chicken. Very yummy. Very not freezable because of all the veggies, but not too hard to make if the chicken is skinned etc. ahead of time.

I love the message Lisa - I'll take that cruise with you - how does to Hawaii sound...don't we know someone there with a waterbed!? :LOL Thanks for the how-to on the photo link. I'll go do that now and fix the link. Take care all, I'll check in later! Andy

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBOXLFi3bN3Hw

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#122 of 200 Old 01-06-2005, 07:22 PM

Yeah, the link worked!!

I swear I will get pictures up eventually

All is well here. Did loads and loads of laundry today. Vacuumed, swept, packaged beads and Xmas returns, picked up, etc...Nesting is on an upswing. Trying to get DH motivated to paint the dresser. It has been sanded and is ready for color. Then it will be time to put clothes away and reorganize ds and new baby's closet...

Still so much to do. Then again I don't think my to-do list will ever go away.

Proudmom
#123 of 200 Old 01-06-2005, 07:45 PM

Yikes Andy, busy day! And nice pics I love your costume.

I bought a tub of cookie dough (like 5#) at the evil Sam's club. Dh and I have realized that if you turn on the oven to preheat, scoop out 12 cookies (that's what fits on a large pizza pan!) and pop them in, you have warm cookies in 15 min. and that's a great thing! I prefer my own cookie dough, but it's a good substitute to have. I ate all of the cookies yesterday that I made for dh, and dh got home from work and was sad, until he realized that he could have warm ones in a few minutes.

Hit the grocery store this afternoon, about died when I got cramps where my legs attach to my body. I couldn't even stand. Quite a sight was I, squatting in the frozen foods aisle, hanging on to my cart.

Ooh and the UPS guy dropped off a new sling for me today. Yaay!

Lisa

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#124 of 200 Old 01-06-2005, 08:11 PM

Thanks Azreial for the hugs... they are most appreciated today, I tell you!

Question for those of you drinking raspberry leaf tea ~ how many cups a day are you drinking? I just started this week. Yesterday I only had 1, today 2. I'm just curious what others are drinking.

I had a nice coffee break to myself this morning. The funny thing is, I spent the last bit of it itching to get home so that I could clean out the fridge.... hmmmm... nesting, anyone??

Lisa, which sling did you get? I love getting a new sling!
#125 of 200 Old 01-06-2005, 08:15 PM

Kathy, I haven't been drinking my rrl at all, it just doesn't taste very good to me for some reason. BUT my midwife gave me her natural induction sheet, and it said 1 cup of tea every 4 hours was ok.

A lovely buttercup yellow kkafp showed up today. Somewhere in baby's room I have a maya wrap, but I wanted the fuzzy fleece for winter with babe.

Next task, to learn to make my own. Between the $ of those 2 slings, I could have made a dozen!

Had a donut and 3 very large glasses of milk. Been very thirsty today, bought some red sugary punch too, as it sounded sooooo good.

Malama, you made me laugh just watching that little head roll around in your post.

Lisa

#126 of 200 Old 01-06-2005, 08:33 PM

OOOhhh I bought a moby wrap the other day when I ordered newborn diapers. So exciting...my dh thinks I'm crazy 'cause now we'll have 4 carriers (bjorn, nn sling, kozy and the moby wrap).

I love the pics of mamabeca's belly.

I actually got work done at the office today. And found out who my new boss will be. It's good and both my current boss and my new boss were fine with me wanting to go part time...even working from home a bit was ok. Makes me feel good I kinda like my job...

Oh and my mw said I should be drinking at least 2 cups a day of pregnanacy or rrl tea. I didn't like the preganacy tea.
#127 of 200 Old 01-06-2005, 08:42 PM

Oh Lisa, your pouch sounds gorgeous! I love yellow, and I love the KKAFP!

Jess, I absolutely adore our Moby. I haven't carried DD in it since the summer (WAAAAAY too hot in the AL summer!), but I have images of simply tying it on in the morning, plunking our newborn in, and just going about the day. I think they are so comfortable.

Thanks for the feedback on the tea. I have a terrible time trying to remember how I did things last pregnancy, but I remember drinking at least a couple of cups of it (iced!) a day. DD was a summer baby, and so drinking hot tea just wasn't hitting the spot. This time I quite like it hot, and with just a wee bit of sugar added.

It sounds like everyone is treating themselves to some wonderful snacks! I have a little tub of Turtle Tracks Soy Delicous that's calling my name in the freezer.... I think I'll be enjoying some later this evening
#128 of 200 Old 01-06-2005, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
once you are term you can't drink enough rasp leaf tea from what i understand. my MIL made me about 12 cups a day with ds1 (maybe that's why my induction was so short and painless--my uterus was really toned). i drank one today and one yesterday--i need to get to the herb store for more tomorrow. i'm not certain it is a miracle cure...i had one quick labor and one painless one without any rasp leaf tea at all. i like it though...really strong, without any sweetener, and certainly not iced--but then i drink it partly to stay warm as i have never turned on my heat since moving here two years ago.
#129 of 200 Old 01-06-2005, 10:17 PM

Oooh tell me tell me! What is the size of the fabric for the moby? I'm guessing 3 yards long? Longer? and how wide? I have some not very stretchy knit downstairs that I've never had a use for (except a toga costume once) and it might be a fun thing to try and play with. And looks soooo comfy.

Having never slung a babe, I figured starting with the maya was a good place, and I just had to have the kkafp after seeing one. Someone gave us a snuggli (ugh!) and dh says he'll try the maya, but the kkafp isn't big enough for him. Darn!

Beef stew brewing on the stove, and baby wiggling and jiggling all over.

#130 of 200 Old 01-06-2005, 10:38 PM

OK, I got the most oddest, annoying pregnancy comment- and this, from a mom who's 3 weeks PP.
THis was at our LLL meeting. This mama was due this week but baby came 3 weeks early. When they were asking me how I felt, I said "done". She says out loudly,
"well does anyone have a crochet hook- we can start her labor!".

Now for those of you who don't get the reference, it's to an amniohook- the thing you can use to artificially rupture membranes. it does look like a crochet hook- but geesh..... what a weird thing to say- at least to me very pregnant self. Didn't know HOW to respond at all to that : :

I do know that i didn't LIKE the comment.

So back to my safe home where I get made fun of all the time for looking like a lollipop, but no one makes comments like THAT!
#131 of 200 Old 01-06-2005, 11:13 PM

Ugh, Karen that is the worst comment I've ever heard. How tasteless and, well, just plain ignorant! I'm sorry you had to hear that

Lisa, the Moby is to DIE for! Honestly, I was 100% a maya wrap girl until I got my Moby. Then the poor maya rarely saw the light of day! They're great, too, in that they are probably the most comfortable carrier for a toddler. I love the back carry, and could carry DD for hours without any discomfort when she was 2 yrs old AND I was into my second trimester!
There are some great pictures here, featuring both newborns & toddlers (and everything in between!) I couldn't live without ours.
I think it's about 5-6 yards of jersey cotton (think comfy t-shirt!), and I'm not certain how wide. I can measure it tonight sometime and post later on, if you like.
#132 of 200 Old 01-06-2005, 11:20 PM

Ew Karen, EW! Ew ew! That's just plain uncalled for, and disturbing.

Kathy, found this on the site you linked: Moby Wraps are approximately 6.5 yards (6 meters) long and 24 inches (60 cm) wide. Because of the simplicity and versatility of this design the Moby Wrap will fit most everyone.

Yaay. I am so going to go sling crazy. I need to find a job that will finance my bad habits... cookies, shoes, now slings.

Lisa

#133 of 200 Old 01-07-2005, 02:31 AM

Good day everybody. Work was nuts today. The more stuff on my list, the more time they want me to spend detailing the precise status of everything on my list. Gah! 6 pm came, and I left anyway. :P

Pregnancy tea - I'm still drinking 2 cups/day, the same as for the last 6 months. Guess I should increase that, but there are so many things to drink. water, milk, juice, dandelion tea, echinacea, evil chlorophyll, lots more water.

Karen, that is a horrible comment! I'd have said, "Or we could stick it up your ___"

Work people are like "Your baby is not authorized to come out yet." I'm like, uh-huh, and then I don't help him. Grr. At least my real manager is very accommodating.

Lisa, that's scary about the grocery store. Thank goodness DH does all the shopping now. Today I pumped my own gas for the first time in months. Yuck. It's cold.

DH is back from working out. Time for bed. Good night everybody!
#134 of 200 Old 01-07-2005, 02:32 AM

Oops! Double post. Better than none
#135 of 200 Old 01-07-2005, 05:06 AM

It's is incredibly late, - this is the first time it's been this late, I can't sleep and I REALLY can't sleep. Usually I can close my eyes and relax myself back into slumber after an hour or so, but after 2 hrs. of sleep I am so wide awake. I'm having contractions (b/h?) that are keeping me awake, and so I thought I'd stay awake for an hour and time them and see. Also drink some mamatea, 'cause it was such a busy day I think I neglected to water myself properly and maybe that's why I'm having contractions?

Karen - I HATE when people do that. I have gotten quite good at the "look" which I have to give my no-filter mother who will be here in 48 hrs. and PLEASE let these be b/h...sorry... so that's about all I ever could have given someone who said something like that to me... WTF!? Business own mind your please! Thanks, too for the beau-tea-full rose quartz! It arrived today. So too did Heidi's, but also had a pop-out hole in the enve. and the bead is in post-office land... I shall replace it at earliest possible moment. Both cards are inspirational, and Thank You Heidi for telling me what kind of bead so that it CAN be replaced!

I'm trying to write slowly, tea tastes so good, the first two ctx were 10 min. apart and reasonably strong (4/10?). I can feel baby moving around...please let them be head down still... I think I feel back along the right hand side, but there isn't much baby at the top...maybe all I'm feeling is the squirm of a flipping big-time baby???

Good news is dh finished putting together the crib, so now all we need are the window treatments (2 wks) and the bed skirt and the room is as done as I need it to be. whew. Sorry no pics of it yet.

Ok, I just surfed around (two more ctx) and saw the moby (oh my god I'd never! figure that one out!) and the kkfp - does this one have a ring adjuster? I have a simple sling that adjusts at the shoulder area and then a soft carrier (also from Canada, which I love!), plus the backback for dh who doesn't love the softer carriers. He football holds baby mostly. He's GREAT about carrying, just not about wearing. Hey, I'm not complaining! Ctx are lasting several minutes, which I think is a good sign I'm not in labor... Malama - you on line? I'll send this and then type anew after.

#136 of 200 Old 01-07-2005, 05:12 AM

Ok, 5th contraction just started, 40 min. from start of 1st., that's every 10 min. for sure. I should probably get some sleep, but OMG! I don't really want to wake everyone up yet, just in case, but I also don't want to be alone...this is such a great compromise. Even if almost all of you are sleeping now, it's kind of less lonely...

I suppose if baby comes dh can call mom and cancel her out, just say the party isn't going to happen. right?

#137 of 200 Old 01-07-2005, 05:28 AM

I am online andy.... I'm having lots of b/h today too, but am not thinking much of them.

i'm sorry you;re so awake! How doyou tell if someone else is online here? and is there a chat thing??
#138 of 200 Old 01-07-2005, 05:36 AM

I think you are online, because when I go to Jan 2005 it shows us both online. I am having a moody afternoon/ eve..... dunno why. dh and I went on a nice walk and I was actually fairly comfortable walking, but then when i got home.... cervical pressure and now I feel like baby is really pushing hard down there. ugh. I just want to meet my baby and hold him/her.

All the talk about slings is making me wistful!!! those mobys look nice, but HOT! I was going to get a maya but a friend gave me a- damn, can't think of the name- oh a new native. I think i might like the non ring thing better, though we'll see. I carried a stuffed animal around that i had diapered and clothed in it some time ago, and it felt nice (with all 1 lb of bear!!!), LOL!

I also got a bead today from Heidi , THANKS!
I busted out the beads that I got at my blessingway and started stringing them for a mobile type of thing. I have a piece of driftwood, made holes in it and then have been stringing the beads on that. I made 3 hanging strands, and will leave the last one for the beads I get from you all.... I'll maybe hang it over the changing area or soemthing- there's a window there and the beads can catch the light.
I keep thinking that i should do these projects, because baby won't come until they are done. Not that i'm "due" or anything, just feel "done".
#139 of 200 Old 01-07-2005, 05:44 AM

the changing area sounds like a great place - entertain and accessorize in one fell swoop! I am 6- 8 min. apart now, and they are def. stronger. I though about calling mw, probably will if these don't abate in the next hour. Have you worked on your birthing area?

#140 of 200 Old 01-07-2005, 05:50 AM

so you think you;re really in labor??? 6-8 minutes? unless you want the mw there, no need to call, eh? but do make sure you've drunk enough!

after my mw came the other day we decided to do the birth in the living room- i.e. a lot nicer than where I was gonna birth. She said i woulnd't want to be walking upstairs to my bed with the chux and all after the birth- i agree. dh isn't thrilled, but won't argue with 2 women! esp one as pregnant as me, lol!

So now I'm working on my birth altar..... but lagging heavily, as usual
#141 of 200 Old 01-07-2005, 05:52 AM

Funny that you got heidi's bead and Lisa and I didn't - so much further to go! I think your style enve. kept it in, which worked well. I wrapped them in the tissue to sort of head that problem off...wonder whether it worked.

Just talked w/mw who made me giggle - she is wonderful - and said who knows, call back kind of thing. Thank GOD for wonderful women who love to birth babies!!! That's you too, Karen! Ok, I think I need to walk around the block and see what happens. I'm going to sign off for a while, and probably by the time I'm back you'll be knackered and hopefully snoozing very well... thanks Karen! Have a peaceful night! Andy

#142 of 200 Old 01-07-2005, 06:03 AM

keep us up to date mama, if anything "happens", lol.
if you're in "real" labor i'm seriously jealous..... seriously!!!!

dh tried to tickle the baby out, the boys are talking to the baby continously, and I'm just willing it to happen.... I Want the baby in my arms. pregnancy is sooo long a wait!!!

stay warm in your walk!

much love,
Karen
#143 of 200 Old 01-07-2005, 06:38 AM

Well I think they're still (or back to) 10 min. apart, so I'm gunna try to snooze a bit. Maybe it's just a wake up call...I've been very convinced the babe will come the weekend of the 28th LOL! Not that I think I have any actual control over things, but wouldn't it be nice?! Hang in there ... you know your baby knows what its doing. I know exactly what you mean by the loooong wait, though. I can't say having this baby sooner wouldn't be AWESOME! I guess I got thrown off because mamas in my family don't BIRTH babies early! I think the dates are really pretty close, and my periods are really regular, so it is a little early, but hey - whatever happens, right!? Ok, time to snooze. Have a great night! Andy

#144 of 200 Old 01-07-2005, 09:32 AM

Well, that was my first experience of false labor! Ugh! Never had that with dd. what a drag! I was up till about 5am with contractions that were pretty strong (got stronger throughout the three-four hours), finally pushed myself to go to sleep and they came every 20 min. and then they were 20 min. but not so strong...so oh well! dh is sure uterus is in training, and needed the work out. whatever...I'm exhausted. Good night!

#145 of 200 Old 01-07-2005, 09:51 AM

Ooooh Andy, what a night you've had! I'm thinking of you & hoping that you either found some rest or are busy birthing your baby

We have found a good solution to our dilemma with DH's travel this month, and I'm not sure why it took us so long to realize it. I've invited my parents to come earlier rather than after the Baby is born, and they are overjoyed! I do not wish for them to be *here* for the birth, but they will be able to take a hotel room and are available for DD whenever & however we need them. I cannot express how much relief I feel ~ it's like a tremendous weight has been taken from my shoulders! And from Baby's wee shoulders, too!

So I feel MUCH better this morning, and now only have the fun part of nesting & preparing our birthing area! What is everyone else doing for this? Any special little touches?

Oh, and we see our MW this morning! It's been since before Christmas, so I'm excited. Lots to talk about!
#146 of 200 Old 01-07-2005, 10:19 AM

Karen and Andy, what a night you had! Andy, I hope you are sleeping the morning away!!! But gosh, what a way to cancel on your mom.. har!

Kathy, yaay on solving the travel and baby thing!

It's my brother's bday today, which means family dinner at some restaurant of his choice. DH is also home today, having worked 4x10 hrs. instead of the regular week, which also means the dog may get a bath! Yaay! Usually she's my problem, but I just can't do the leaning over the bathtub hanging onto an 80# wet lab while scrubbing shampoo in thing right now.

Andy, the kkafp is snapped on the shoulder, it has a bunch of rows of snaps (like 12 snaps to keep it shut, I don't think it could unsnap with a heavy babe at all!) and the rows are 1" apart, to make it longer/shorter. I looked at the wraps before, and thought the same thing, but yesterday when I looked at them, and the directions, it all suddenly made sense. Little lightbulbs going off everywhere. And it looks very, very comfy, although I bet it would be warm here in summer. I'm going to see if I can't make a psuedo-moby with stuff around here, or at least use their wearing directions and see how it works. I'm going to need a set of hooks in the nursery for slings now. Hmm.. I've been trying to convince dh that we need shelves with hooks below them for storing books and toys in there.. especially since there is no closet!

Lisa

#147 of 200 Old 01-07-2005, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeca
Ok, I just surfed around (two more ctx) and saw the moby (oh my god I'd never! figure that one out!)
Andy, I was *so* reluctant to get a wrap-style sling for the longest time. Like you said, I figured there was NO way I had the patience to learn how to wind 6 meters of fabric around me and a squirmy toddler! My friends in my babywearing playgroup used to giggle at me, but I was insistent!

Well, one day I gave one a try... OMGoodness, I couldn't turn back after that! Really, it's super-easy to learn and not at all something to be intimidated (or irritated ) by.

Pouches are awesome though, and I think everyone needs a pouch in their collection. I made one when DD was about 6 months old, and we used it quite a bit. I'm hoping that I'll get my sewing area together enough to get another one made before this little Babe arrives
#148 of 200 Old 01-07-2005, 11:00 AM

It's almost 4 am and I got up because I was having indigestion.... thought I would check up on andy

Andy, there's no such thing as "false" labor IMO, just "pre" labor. every time your body has lots of contractions, whether they are the "real" thing or not, it's getting ready.... I'm sure it was a frustrating night for you (unless you're really doin it by now), but it's all for good!!!!!

I just looked that those kkafp slings you all are talking about and see they have them in cotton (could never handle fleece here!). are they esp more comfy? or is it the fleece? we have a mama here who we (I) helped have a baby laast dec who sells maya wraps from her home. she's single and with 2 kids, so I will probably buy one from her because she could use the business/ support, but i don't want to buy too much before baby is here!!! but i'm so tempted to just shop online and buy buy buy.
ugh, did i REALLY say that???

Kathy, I'm SOOOO glad you found a solution to your dh's travelling. I'msure all will work out and he'll end up with a kick ass job!!! it'll all be worth it in the end!!!!

going back to sleep, hopefully!
#149 of 200 Old 01-07-2005, 11:21 AM

Ack, am I the only one who got a decent night of sleep? A first in a long time for me..

I know someone who has the cotton pouch, she loves it. They have a solarveil ring sling on there too, which I think I might try to make using the maya as a template. Oooh I have such high aspirations! I don't even have a working sewing machine right now!!! I'll probably go spend $$$$ on materials and then end up buying the ones online anyway.

Dh brought me breakfast on the couch... nothing like toaster waffles and a banana. hehehe. Have decided to go to Target today... am convinced I need a wall shelf with hooks, and they have one I think will work. Need to find bday gift for brother as well.

Off to start the day,
Lisa

#150 of 200 Old 01-07-2005, 12:36 PM

Morning ALL.....sorry I missed the excitement last night! I certainly was up but was sobbing in my bed rather than at the computer.....how much more of this freakin anxiety can I take???

Due date is tomorrow & I have on & off contractions & a lot of pressure in my hips. I am lugging myself outside today though because DS broke our only living room lamp last night & I need a new one. May swing by a few other places if I am up to it!

I am reading all the great birth stories posted here! Hoping some of that magical QUICK labor dust floats this way....not in my history though so we shall see. As some of you know, this anxiety has me torn between wanting to get this babe out & keeping it in forever to avoid labor......sigh.

Yesterday, everyone drove me nuts & I was thinking how in some African cultures, the woman lives in a hut all alone to gestate.....GOOD IDEA!!! No one around to piss me off:LOL

s to everyone with insomnia, heartburn, backache & baby longing!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page