Jan. Mamas Jan. 16-22 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright Mar. I'm glad to see you had your baby. Thanks to your dh for letting us know

Well its still snowing here. We're into hour 27!!! DH came back from plowing 2 hours ago becuase the city actually pulled back all the dpw plows and has shut down all the roads in the city. They even shut down the highway, one of only two way in. The half of Gloucester where I live is the island part. Only two bridges in or out, and I'm sure the non-highway one is shut down becuase of flooding, as it is right on the coast. When dh came home he said the snow in front of the door was at his shoulders and he had to shovel it down below his waist to get in. He said that one of the customers houses had snow drifts higher than their garage doors! They actually got stuck in the plow truck on the major road in town. DH had to get out and shovel and his cousins dh couldn't see him after he got out of the truck. DH said that at one point it was snowing so bad that it took them 1 1/2 hours to go not even two miles!! The news showed a live shot of Gloucester and it just looked like windy snow and I think I saw a bit of ocean peak out, I couldn't even guess where where the news guys are.

I'm worried that I am going to go into labor today. I'm leaking a lot more. When I woke up my undies were really really wet, I'm pretty crampy feeling and restless. And I want to clean so bad. I am trying to resist the cleaning urge. I really don't know what we'd do if I did go into labor. We can't leave, the roads aren't even close to passable so no one could come get ds. DH is at least home but he's exhausted from being out all night. I'm just trying to rest and hope nothing decides to happen. Hopefully my anxiety is enough to keep things the way they are. As much as I want my baby I really don't want an uc inthe middle of a blizzard.

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#182 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 11:57 AM

Hang tight Azriel- we must have posted at the same time.....
Were you planning a hospital or homebirth? I guess from your post I'd say hosp or bc.....
I'm sure that if necessary you could maybe call an ambulance to get you? I know that's not ideal, but if the thought of birthing your baby alone with dh is really not appealing to you, then maybe that's a solution???

Otherwise, you know you've done this before and that your body knows what to do! Birthing is very instinctual when not interfered with.

I guess you just have to deal with what comes your way..... take it as it comes!!! Wish i could be there to help (well, maybe not in a huge snowstorm.....).

Hugs to you. It'll be alright!!!
#183 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 12:08 PM

Congratulations Mar! Welcome baby Ribh! It is so cool to see so many of us having our kiddos. It is hard to believe that baby Violet is almost a month old, and baby Will is getting there too! Time really is moving faster.

I was putting my DD, Emily, to bed last night and singing to her, and all of a sudden it occured to me that I can't see any baby left in her face. She is all little girl now. I don't even know when it happened. It was so strange coming home from the hospital too, because all of a sudden, she was huge and grown up. Not tiny and fragile like I remembered her to be.

Will is doing fine. MIL called on Friday and wanted to come up, but we told her we had other plans. May not have been very nice, but most people want to come and talk about his heart, and they sound so sad and look at him like he is going to disappear at anytime, so we didn't really want to deal with it.

He's picking up his head now, and is starting to show some definate neck strength. I don't know if I told everyone, but at the drs. on Wednesday, they weighed him and measured him. He has gained 1lb, 3 ounces and grown 3 inches. I decided that I don't make milk, I must make cream instead. He nurses so well. I am amazed at the difference between my two children.

I finally have all of my beads. I am going to make the nursing necklace this week. Will likes to do the head bob version of nursing, where he latches, sucks and then looks around and does the whole thing all over. Makes nursing take absolutely forever, and I haven't gotten the hang of nursing in the sling or pouch yet. Speaking of the sling/wrap I made, DH loves it. He really enjoys wearing Will, and even cleaned the house yesterday while wearing him. It was so cool.

Talk to you later. Have a good day.

Nicole and Will
#184 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 01:30 PM

Wow, what excitement last night!

Mar, congratulations on your girl! That is great.

Az, wow, what a snowstorm! What a time to have labor signs. It sounds crazy up there. You must let us know how it is going. If you stop posting, we won't know whether it's labor or whether the snowstorm finally knocked out your internet connection (eep).

Nicole, that makes a lot of sense about MIL. People should focus on how darling he is and how well he's doing, not the invisible part that will need to be fixed in the future. Will sounds like a great baby boy.

Lisa, your babe sounds great too. Milk coming in, diaper laundry - I can't wait. Neat about your neighbor and the sling. At 85, she's old enough to remember some baby wisdom before the modernization of childbirth and rearing, with all its crazy technology and discipline. Maybe a sling seems perfectly rational to her.

Karen, I hope you're having fun with your mom. Maybe she can distract you a bit from the waiting.

I'm at work today (bummer). It's quiet so far. I'll either be really busy or really bored all day - I'm rooting for very bored. Played Scrabble with our friends last night, and my friend and I tied. She's going to come play Gofer for the birth. She has grandchildren of her own in another state, but she's very excited about this baby.

Fluffy mail yesterday included a darrrrling fleece cover and snap-in diaper from SnoogieSnaps. The fleece pattern is "Snuggle Bunny" and has bunnies and carrots on it. (I have a thing for carrots. I collect them. Also, my sister's nickname is Bunny.) I love it, but the rise is incredibly high. Lisa, you're CDing - what do you do for the stump in the first few weeks? all Kissaluv 0s and prefolds folded down? Most of my little diapers look like they'll cover the stump. I wonder if the really soft fleece of the cover would be okay on it. We do put clothes over the stump, right?
#185 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 02:01 PM

Hi Everyone! Congrats on all the new arrivals and loads of birth vibes to those still awaiting their little ones. Soon you will all be holding your babies!

We're doing wonderfully. Brynn is amazing, and it is still astonishing to me how someone can make you melt with love and capture your heart so completely. We joke that she's actually been around for a few weeks, because she is so UN-newborn! She has so much alert, quiet time and yesterday several times I noticed that she lifted her head and upper back several inches to look around when she was laying on my chest. Strong little girl we have!!

Breastfeeding is going so amazingly well. It is so funny that I don't really have to worry about engorgement, as she manages to empty them in quick time herself! She loves to nurse, and has a beautiful latch.

Big sister is doing great too, and loves her little Brynn so much. She seems (sob!) to have weaned, although I am still thinking that maybe she'll return to a bedtime nurse once she feels things are more settled? I'm torn ~ in one way, it's wonderful if she feels this is the right time and is ready to be done on her own, and it is nice that she is easily going to sleep at night without nursing (definitely good news when Brynn was in the pouch last night, nursing, when I put T to bed!), but on the other hand it is just so hard to think that chapter might be behind us... makes me pretty emotional.
I figure the best I can do is just follow her lead

Oh, forgot to mention that I got beads from Andy and Leigh late this week. Thank you ladies! I will be adding them with your notes to Brynn's keepsake box.

DH left for London last night and will be home Wednesday. I am *sooooo* grateful that he was here for the birth, but of course teary eyed when he left yesterday nonetheless.... I manage to feel sorry for myself anyway! :LOL

I have Brynn in the KKAFP right now, and can I just say that these are worth their weight in GOLD! She loves it, and it is so comfortable for me too. She sleeps so cozily inside, and we're almost hands-free bf'ing already!

Life is surely good around here Hugs and birth blessings to you all.
#186 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 02:02 PM

Oh, also meant to say that I'm working on Brynn's birth story! I hope to post it later today or tomorrow..... *warning*, it's already 2 full pages! What can I say? I'm wordy
#187 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 02:43 PM

Jessi - the nurses harped on me about keeping her stumpy dry, but they didn't make a big deal about it not being covered either. Since we're using cloth, we change them RIGHT away (mostly because we're trying to ec too and don't want her to feel wet ever). It seems pretty dry and crunchy anyway, and we've been using small prefolds (which are too big for a newborn!) with newborn prowraps (I think) which have the notch. We have prowraps and bummis right now, and I can't wait for her to be bigger so I can get fitteds. Just too much $$ for me to spend when she's going to outgrow them fast.

Kathy - oohyah, dh is rather jealous of the kkafp, I had Lauren snuggled up in it yesterday for a bit. It's nice to keep her close and move about - I even managed to go to the bathroom with her while dh went to the grocery. Hehehe. Of course he's jealous, but he's a large and I'm a med, and so he can't use the pouch. Maybe I'll buy him a solarveil one for his bday in May.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#188 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
congratulations Mar. How exciting. Hopefully you can post photos soon.

Kathy, glad your babe is nursing well. As a mom who has been nursing for almost seven years straight through I must warn that I have noticed a tendency with myself and the women who call me for LLL help that we tend to get overconfident with the hands-free nursing even with the sling. Lots of really experienced mommas end up with really sore nipples. I remember my co-Leader coming over when ds3 was a few hours old and I was laying on my back with him practically on his back with my breast popped in his mouth. it worked and he was eating, but what a terrible position. I had no idea; i was really tired; and it could have led to really really bad habits.

Just make sure you are paying close attention these first few weeks so you get the best start. i know i will be extra careful and probably waking babe every hour like a psycho at first, even with all those lactating years i've had.

sorry if i sound bossy...i'm still really cranky and frightening my loved ones with my bad attititude. they keep saying, please let that baby come soon!
#189 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 02:48 PM

Jessi, we cloth diapered with DD#1 and also with Brynn, and both of them had nice, dry stumps that fell off within a few days. Brynn's fell off last night I do keep the diaper and wrap away from the stump, but otherwise no special treatment.
#190 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 02:50 PM

Thanks FST, I didn't wish to come across as overly ambitious... believe me, nothing is further from the truth
#191 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 02:59 PM

Busy morning!
I'm so glad to hear so much from all the new mamas..... gives those of us who are waiting some hope!

ST- a huge HUG to you! I know it's hard. Walking around all dialated and taking care of kids....I feel for you and I know you'll be holding your little one soon..... his time is just not yet, I guess (yours AND mine, apparently!).

There was so much, I can't possibly respond to all that everyone wrote- my brain isn't functioning well enough. Luckily everyone sounds good.

Nicole- How great that Will is growing so fast- hard to imagine he's got something that needs fixing. I think it's a great sign and you keep on doing such a great job!!!!!

Grrrr..... I can't have my baby TODAY, because dh is over working on the other side of the island and will be out on 2 different boats today. I told him to check in with me when he was done on one, etc..... well, I was sitting in the bathroom, and I heard his cell phone ring.... IN THE HOUSE. I'm 41 weeks pregnant tomorrow and he didn't bring his phone????? :
That was really dumb. Really.
He OBVIOUSLY is having major pregnancy brain. ugh

wonder how long it'll take him to figure it out. I think his call was from his client probably looking for him......
#192 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 04:13 PM

Oh Karen, DH is in deep doo-doo. Forgetting his cell phone on a day like this! Wow. He'd better not fuss at you for being scatterbrained.

Thanks for the diaper pointers. I hope our stump will fall off quickly too.

What is the KKAFP again? I think I've asked before but forgotten.
#193 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessitron
Oh Karen, DH is in deep doo-doo. Forgetting his cell phone on a day like this! Wow. He'd better not fuss at you for being scatterbrained.
Yk, he had been bugging me about my lack of brain up until recently.... when his went out the door. Now we comiserate, lol!!!

I'm not having any "signs" or anything today, so I'm not worried, but it was a bad move on his part!
#194 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 04:20 PM

kkafp- kangaroo korner adjustable fleece pouch - check kangarookorner.com
it's how I'm actually typing with 2 hands now,

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#195 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 04:33 PM

Hey everyone. The labor signs have calmed down, thankfully (I never thought I'd be saying that) DH came home and slept for a few hours and left again. I am so much calmer now. DS and I watched a movie and did some cleaning. I am wiped now. I think I wasted way too much energy worrying this morning.

Its still snowing here but not as bad. I'm really sleepy but I just wanted to check back in to let you know that we didn't have to break out the emergency childbirth guide and don't appear to have any need to.

Jessi- This is a KKAFP

Someone didn't listen all the warnings about the snow, which last I knew was at 29+" and is stuck on the little tiny, driveway sized street next to my place. Seriously I don't know why anyone would think trying to drive would be a good idea, it looks like there is at least 6" of snow in the street!

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#196 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 05:38 PM

I had my babies 1/13 and 1/14 at home. Good luck to you Jan moms who are still waiting!
#197 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 05:41 PM

Hi everybody-

Mar! :happy birthday: Sounds like a fast labor. Hugs to you and your little one, mama!

I'm so glad to hear from all the new mamas! It sounds like you are all doing great.

Az - hang in there mama! Sending you no baby today vibes. Maybe call the bc and see what they would recommend you do in the event you do go into labor?

Kathy- do you still have help while dh is gone? You sound like you're doing fine, but it still must be hard with such little ones.

Lisa- I'm terrible about cords. My kid's always take about two weeks to fall off. I still put the powdered goldenseal on them at every change, and just fold the diaper down a bit away from the stump. But I sill give them baths and stuff with it. I figure that nature probably didn't design them to be so fiddled with.

Jess- yep, you can put clothes over them. Some people prefer for them to wear those little kimono shirts, or a tee, as opposed to onesie before the cord falls off.

Karen - what is dh thinking? That is so not cool.

Nicole I can't believe our little ones are almost a month old! Its going by so fast. It makes me really sad. They are still so tiny, but the first month is so wonderful and precious, I always hate when its over.

I'm not liking my hotsling very much. Nothing especially wrong with it, per say, its just that baby doesn't really like it, and it doesn't fit quite right. I had originally wanted a KKACP, but for some reason got the hotsling. Now I'm kicking myself Maybe I'll just go get one today and stop whining about it Not as comfy as fleece, but nice nonetheless.

So, total fluff question- What diapers did everyone end up going with? I saw some of Jess's stash (jealous) and I saw some of Stacy's on the TP (again jealous) . We are using boring old indian prefolds for now, with polar babies covers and wool soakers. I have lots of larger sized fitteds...but I'm not sure I'll use them. I kinda like these prefolds.
#198 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 05:55 PM

Mamamaya,

I know what you mean about the first month. He is filling out so nicely now, but still has scrawny little legs. I want him to have big fat rolls. Especially now.

As for our fluff, we used Little Lambs with DD, so I had a pre-existing stash. I did add a few boy prints, after we found out the sex, but not too many. I know they are either really liked or really hated, but they worked for us. And since I take the kiddo to work, and generally they require us to use disposables, I have these, which I can pass off as disposables, and no one is generally the wiser.

We are having some leaking, wicking issues, but I am certain it is due to his skinny legs and the fact that even on the smalles size, there is a gap around his thighs. No doubt, the way he is growing, this will go away in short order and all will be well and dry.

Nicole
#199 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 06:24 PM

Hey congrats Mar and everyone else I'vce missed who've had babies recently. I'm very sleep deprived, no surprise, but it's worse than I expect. The baby just won't sleep at night. I only got 3 hours of sleep last night. She's not wetting much, but she doesn't seem dehydrated and I can hear lots of swallowing, so I'm sure she'll catch up soon. We picked a name: Geneva Claire. It wasn't even on our list, but none of the names we had seemed to suit.
Time to start the birth story!
#200 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 06:48 PM

Hi all

I'm soooo happy baby is here and so comforted that my birth plan (unassisted) worked out as hoped. My total labor (from water breaking) was about 5 hours, but the active/intense part was less than two (just after I posted here, I woke up DH for *company* and things really picked up)

That being said, it was intense and *longer* than I expected after first dd's "butter birth". But it was good to experience the full range of birth emotions and stages and i am sooo pleased.

My biggest issue today is intense intense intense after pains which I would grade as about as painful and hard to deal with as mid-stage labor. And they just continue and continue every 10 to 20 minutes all day!!!! I cannot sleep due to them and am feeling so exhausted right now. DH went to get me yummy supper (miso soup and sushi) and the kids (all three!) are sleeping peacefully, but everytime i doze off...whammy. So I guess I just gotta have something to bitch about. Man!

Karen, I feel bad *going* with you more due and still hanging in there..although today is obviously not agreat day for it. What a silly silly man dh is!

Anyway, I promise my next post will be much more upbeat and may even contain some details about Ribh's and my journey into birthing! Wheeeeee!

Mar
#201 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 06:54 PM

Hey Mar,

Try taking some calcium for the afterpains? It should help with the cramping. Glad you're doing well
#202 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 07:04 PM

Congrats, Mar, on the new little one!!

Don't have much computer time. DS is not feeling well. He has been sleeping all day, which is VERY unusual for him.

Proudmom
#203 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 08:03 PM

Ann, you sold some dipes on the TP a few days ago that i was chagrined to miss. I wanted that green gingham one! It would have matched our nursery.

I need to photo and post more of my stash. It has grown a lot. It's getting ridiculous. Someday, when we decide what we like the best, maybe I'll sell some of it. Yeah right.
#204 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 08:17 PM

Mar, I hear you on the afterpains! Mine were quite intense the first couple of days, especially when she was nursing... which she did a lot of! My MW recommended drinking RRL tea to ease the pains a bit. I am happy to say that today yesterday and today have been afterpain-free! Hope yours pass soon.

Mamamaya, thanks for asking after us. Yes, my parents are still here and are helping quite a lot with DD #1. They even surprised me with a decaf soy caramel latte this afternoon on their way home from picking up a few groceries!

We also use plain-ol' boring prefolds, but I have to say I LOVE them... so soft, so absorbant. I have tried others, but they are simply my favorite.
#205 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 08:20 PM

Jess - I hated selling those. They were so cute. I have few left, but I'm too lazy to go bump the thread. But, alas I must feed the yarn addiction, lol. How is knitting going for you?

I just finished the cutest pair of shorts for baby. They are lanolizing right now. I'll post pics when they are done.
#206 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know i mentioned those afterpains about a hundred posts ago; too many posts here to keep track. it was the worst thing for me not to have been warned. with ds1 i never even took a tylenol before, during, or after the birth and i was induced; but when ds2 came I NEEDED THE IBUPROFEN every SIX hours on the dot. with ds3 I Knew when it was 5 hours and 59 minutes because I would be hit with a contraction that would make my knees buckle.

definitely BIG BIG hugs to 2nd+ time mommas recovering. take good care of yourselves.
#207 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 11:17 PM

DS & I spent the day lounging in bed. He has had a fever on and off and just wants to sleep. We ventured out briefly for popsicles...

Karen - I tried calling dh to tell him about ds. well, lo and behold, he forgot his cell phone also. UGH!!! What if it was something big - like, "HI, your baby is -being born!!"

Proudmom
#208 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 11:24 PM

Hi Mamas,
How nice to come home and read all these nice and actually upbeat posts! Wow.

Mar, I am soooo dreading those afterpains. I had them really bad after my 2nd- wanted to puke every time he nursed. ugh. This time I bought an after ease tincture, but will not hesitate to pull out the big guns (i.e. allopathic meds).... I am generally not a pill taker, but I found those pains to be so much worse than labor AND, really ruined my first few days with a new babe.... so like ST, I'm into drugs for that if necessary.
And thank you for recognizing the unfairness of you going before me (lol!). Your brief dessription of your labor is inspiring though and I hope to follow you (all) in baby land soon!!!

Ann, I wanted some fancy diapers (after always using prefolds for my boys) and bought a bunch of fuzzi bunz as per the recommendation of a few mamas I've helped with babies. I wanted to have 1 kind, because I found before that I'd favor certain diapes and then not use the others. So we'll see if we like them (only bought smalls) and go from there. Someone did send me a whole bunch of used unbleached prefolds that are so soft already.... we'll see how they get used.

Pam, I the name. Geneva is sweet. I'm sure you'll eventually catch up on sleep.... someday!

Dh did call me as soon as he realized his cell phone was here. He's checking in. Poor guy is a wreck already, so I can't really be mad at him. AND, truly nothing is going on with me (other than a little more discharge- no biggie).
My mom bought me some lingere (cotton and practical) to wear pp to make me feel good. I wanted to try it on and make sure it fit (as good as I can right now) and we just couldn't stop laughing at how absurd I looked.

So hanging in there are
fromscatteredtribe
Proudmom
Jessitron
Azriel
Human_Being (though we haven't heard from her today....)
and me
anyone else???
#209 of 210 Old 01-23-2005, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proudmom
Karen - I tried calling dh to tell him about ds. well, lo and behold, he forgot his cell phone also. UGH!!! What if it was something big - like, "HI, your baby is -being born!!"
LOL! (well kinda)..... are you sure we're not married to the same guy?!?!?
#210 of 210 Old 01-24-2005, 12:23 AM

Okay, we should probably start a new thread for the new week. See you all there!

Nicole

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page