Jan 23-29 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 139 Old 01-26-2005, 03:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
?

ST- Oh my goodness!! Welcome little Asher!!! Sounds like you got quite the surprise today Congrats mama! And I hope you do get some rest

: :

Seems like that full moon really does the trick.
#62 of 139 Old 01-26-2005, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Congratulations ST. Glad that everything worked out okay and that your sweet baby Asher is here safe and sound. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ASHER!

Nicole and Will
#63 of 139 Old 01-26-2005, 10:06 AM

WOW, ST!!! Now that's a quick delivery! Welcome Asher, and I can't wait to hear more! I'm so glad that your DH was there.
#64 of 139 Old 01-26-2005, 01:07 PM

Andy, Did you know that "Ori" is "my light" in Hebrew? One of my coworkers named his son Ori. It is a beautiful name.

ST, hurray! Congratulations to you and Asher! Sounds like he was a fast one. Yep, it was a great day to have a baby.

Last night at prenatal yoga we did a free-association thing where we were supposed to write words that we associate with birth and pregnancy and motherhood. I wrote a paragraph, something like
"Birth is the end of pregnancy. Birth is an opening of the spiritual world into this world. Pregnancy is the growing of a new life. Birth makes that life independent, yet the new baby is completely dependent. Motherhood is feeding and raising and releasing. Birth is the beginning of the releasing, which never ends."
When I read this, my yoga teacher says it sounds like I'm already in labor - in the mental state, somehow. She says preparation for labor is a several-day process, beginning before the physical labor starts.

What do you guys think? Karen, I remember a few days before the birth you went from antsy to at peace, from impatient to content. Lisa, did you go through the same thing? Anybody else? Maybe there's an emotional signpost a few days before contractions start. Last night I felt like it is good to be expecting a baby, no rush suddenly, the baby will come at the perfect time.

And yet, even while enjoying this excellent, peaceful mood, I'm wondering: does this mean the baby will be here soon? ha ha ha.
#65 of 139 Old 01-26-2005, 01:22 PM

Scattered Tribe, wow. At first I thought I was reading about one of your older children. Congrats, sorry you get an 11 pounder 9lb 4oz is pretty impressive though Hopefully dh will get to spend some extra time home with you.

Its snowing here again! They're saying that if the storm does not lose it intensity that we could get another 8 inches At this rate ds will never get back to school.

Last night dh and I went out to get subs and mil came over to watch ds. She was looking at the cloth diapers when we were gone and asked dh if we are going to use regular diapers. DH said we're going to be using cloth, and she said yeah regualr diapers and she said how much better they are for the baby. Go mil! She's just gone up in my book. I'm such a slacker that I still don't have a diaper pail. I've really got to get moving on these things, its no wonder this baby doesn't want to come out, she like "oh no mummy is beyond scatter brained"

Last night I get up to go to the bathroom and the dog had ripped apart the roll of toilet paper, and moved all the water bowls into the middle of the kitchen floor. So she spent the rest of the night in the cage. When ds let her out this morning she ran upstairs and got all cuddly with me.

Nothing much to report on the baby front. The bh have even almost beomce a thing of the past. Last night I kept dreaming about waking up and being in hard labor. The night before I dremt that I had the baby and she was big plump, pink and slimy.

I've got to go call the bc, I missed my appointment Saturday and I, once again slacking off, have yet to call and reschedual.

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#66 of 139 Old 01-26-2005, 03:03 PM

Aloha Mamas!
Congrats ST!!!! We in the boys club had our babies on the same day! Jan 25th was an excellent day to be born, though your birth sounded a hell of a lot easier than mine!!!
I started to write out the birth story, but haven't really gotten a chance to do much. Let's just say that pushing out a bigger op baby is NOT easy and I did NOT expect I would push for 2 hours with my 3rd child!!! Last one was like 15 minutes, if that. But all is good in the end and it gives me more compassion for the other mamas I help.

I'm anxiously awaiting news from the rest of you.... it's so amazing to have the baby out and then try to wrap your mind around the fact that he lived inside me!! That he is who was kicking around all night!!!

Andy- Orrin is a river in England. In Hebrew, Oren is a pine tree. Ori is my light also in Hebrew. Oren was on my list but dh nixed it also because of Orrin Hatch too....!!! But I like Orin- good choice!

Our baby, BTW, is Luka Fischel. The other boys have Hebrew names, but he seems more like a Luka. Fischel was my grandpa's name- he died when I was 5 and I don't remember him at all my mom asked if we would honor him that way and we were cool with it. So that's that.
We have tons of pics, just have to get organized and post them somewhere!

Much love to all..... ds1 has baby and says he NEEDS to nurse. gotta run
#67 of 139 Old 01-26-2005, 03:28 PM

Malama, I really like the name Luka. There's something very soothing about it. I get this nice warm fuzzy feeling thinking of it. I hope your little one gets the same feeling. Ohh I really like it. It makes me just want to snuggle up with a nice warm oh so soft baby. Oh my, I'm getting over emotional over your son's name.

Oh I had a funny moment last night. When dh and I were driving to go eat all of a sudden I felt something dripping down my calf and ankle. I, of course thought it was my water breaking. It didn't say anything to dh until I was sure it wasn't beucase I had been craving a ham sub all day and I was going to get it no matter what! The dripping was actually some snow that I got on my knee that had melted. DH thought it was funny when I told him what I thought. He said don't you think you would have felt it coming all the way down you leg and a wet seat? Well yeah but I was just so worried about not getting my dinner :LOL

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#68 of 139 Old 01-26-2005, 03:33 PM

Ha ha Az, funny about the ham sub. Water breaking? Shh, that'll wait until after dinner.
I can't believe they're sending you MORE snow! Your weather is insane.

Andy, don't work so hard today. That was a lot of activity for yesterday.

Karen, oo, sounds like a lot of work. Do post the story when you have a chance, but don't rush.
#69 of 139 Old 01-26-2005, 03:56 PM

Hi mamas!

Nicole - I didn't get to tell you how glad I am that Slim, aka Will gets to hang tight for the time being. Sounds like he has a good doctor, who actually cares about the little guy, given that he took the time to present his case at University and get other's opinions.

Sweetpeasmama - Welcome home!!! Take it easy

Andy- don't work too hard! You don't want to get exhausted. Although I understand that feeling of wanting to get out and about now that you aren't pregnant. I really, really love the name Orin. Sounds serious, but also very calming and sweet. Wonderful choice.

Jessi - hmmm...I wonder if there is something to what you are saying. I noticed that with mama Karen too. I don't know if I became more peaceful or not. I suppose I did in the sense that I wasn't frekaing out about having the baby early anymore, and just kind of let things go. I agree that it sounds like you are already in the space - beginning to surrender. We'll have to wait and see?!

Karen - Luka is a beautiful, wonderful name!!! It also means "light" correct? You are one strong mama, I'll say it again. I can't wait to see pictures and hear the story. Meanwhile, enjoy your sweet family, get some good snuggling, and rest. Oh, and smell him for me. I love the smell of brand new babies.

I would smell V, but she needs a bath and kind of smells like armpit and cheese....

Lisa- I had to giggle at your post. Not at you, but with you. Ahhh, the hidden world of motherhood.

Aloha all
#70 of 139 Old 01-26-2005, 03:58 PM

O Az- I just read your post. I'm glad you got your ham sub! Tee-hee, darn snow. And what is it about toilet paper that dogs and small children are so obssessd with?
#71 of 139 Old 01-26-2005, 04:18 PM

hi all (nak)

we are doing well and trying to seperate days from night. my milk came in with a vengence yesterday...si ribh is enjoying milky treats and i am swollen like a balloon.

i worked on the birth story a while yesterday, but then the family came home and there was no break until bedtime. dh has been hogging the computer as he scrambles to finish a major project due this weekend. kids are okay overall but very very high maintenence this week. ribh is my easy one at this point; she sleeps she squaks, she nurses, she poops, she peers around a little, she nurses, she sleeps. easy peasy.

now i am off for a well needed shower before going into town to work for about an hour and run a few errands. lots of company coming this weekend to meet ribh.

congrats to Scat! hooray for you and Asher!

hang in there mamas with babies inside. our thought are with you even if we aren't posting so much.

mar
#72 of 139 Old 01-26-2005, 06:56 PM

Congrats ST. : Asher!

Nicole - Glad you received some good news on Will!

Karen - Good to hear from you again.

Sweetpeasmama - Glad your baby is home. Hope all is going well.

AZ - I like the water breaking story. Glad you had your dinner.

Not sure about the peaceful mood. DS & I had a rough day yesterday. Today didn't start off well, but it has improved greatly. I almost wonder if he senses the baby coming soon. He has been super moody lately.

Off to mop the floor, clean the bathrooms and sew a bit....Ha hahahaha I forgot I have a 20 months old. Perhaps we will get one of those things done
Proudmom
#73 of 139 Old 01-26-2005, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Hello All,

Today was quite the busy day. Will was with my grandma (his great grandma) as I had a work event that I absolutely had to be at. Good news is that I am taking it easy for the rest of my maternity leave. They have been kind enough at work to let me work 8-10 hours a week so that I can save up time to be with Will at the hospital. No way he is going to be there without me.

Anyway, the event went wonderfully and I was very excited to see all of the people there that we had invited. Will did great with his grandma and took a bottle wonderfully. DH has been giving him one at night with EBM and so far, no nipple confusion. He got 2 bottles today and then nursed just like normal this afternoon.

Jessitron- I did experience a sense of peace near the end. We had been thinking about inducing early (I know, I know, silly idea, but I was so tired of being pregnant I was thinking about any way to get Will here), but about 3 days before I went into labor, I decided to just wait it out and let him come when he came. Also, I was waiting for a big meeting with a state senator to be done. I went into labor the day after that meeting.

Az- I use a trash can with a flip top lid as the dipaer pail. I can use a wet bag, or a trash bag with it, and I don't notice any smell. I taped some deodisks to the lid, just to be sure.

Malama- I love the name Luka. We were actually considering Lucas, but DH father died in May of 2003, and we wanted to honor him, so that is Will's namesake. His middle name is Kenneth, after my dad.

Have a good evening! We are under a water advisory here in Phoenix, due to the rains we have been having, so we are off to eat dinner out. Yippe, no cooking!

Nicole
#74 of 139 Old 01-26-2005, 09:12 PM

Wow - so much ... SC - CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so pleased you had a 'relatively' easy birth! I am happy that baby Asher is healthy and you and he are both doing well. And no lice!

Karen - I really REALLY feel with you on the OMG! birth thing. I know how hard that kind of birth is (dd was posterior with brow presentation and a fist over her ear), how much is saps out that energy. Two hrs. push is just SO much harder! Congratulations again!!! Luka is a beautiful name. I didn't know Ori was 'my light' until after we'd named him... weird since I looked at, oh, must've been 11 zillion names before he was born and even a lot after... and I have a hebrew baby name book... but anyway, my friend Wendy told me what it means. I would have been happy with just Ori, but dh nixed it. Somehow Orin was ok, though. huh. How do your boys like having a new baby? Dd here is starting to get a little jealous - we're at 6 days now, and I think she's feeling the loss of attention. I suppose since they already had each other to "compete" with, that this is less of an issue for them, maybe, or not. I do know dd is a lot more high maintenance now than she was two weeks ago. eesh. That's funny that we both named the boys "light" ...

Az - I am SO glad you got that sandy! I know 'zactly that feeling that if I say ANYthing I'll jinx the good thing going mojo. I guess you got more snow than we did, again! We only got about 6". Poor dh: laundry, changing table (he made a BEAUTIFUL changing station for the downstairs for us! - I'll try to post pix sometime soon), fix food, clean up kitchen, walk dog, blow snow, take dd sledding, fix more food, clean up kitchen again, changing table, laundry...he's worn right out and snoozing with his boyo in front of the Aussie Open. Boys. They fart the same, too HA!

Chiro - you need to SERIOUSLY take off some time with dh and ENJOY this baby - she sounds WONDERFUL!!!

Lisa - two rec's on the sore red bum. #1. Use a hairdryer (on low) w/every change. They love it, and it really gets their bottom nice and warm and dry. #2. Use Calendula. Oil, cream, salve - whatever you can get your hands on. The stuff works like magic. Welleda makes a calendula baby cream that most hfs's carry, and also a baby oil. They both worked like magic on dd.

Ann - a friend of mine here used to live near Oahu, and she told me to tell you about something called Y-moms, which is loosely part of the YMCA program, but I don't think it's exclusive to members. You should check it out - it's for moms w/preschoolers, but she said most of the moms she met through it had multiple kids, and that they were an awesome bunch (this was 2 yrs. ago, though). Just a thought on how to use up all that free time of yours!!!

Jessi - I def. felt it. Wish I had another 2 min... must go save dinner. LOL!! Andy

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#75 of 139 Old 01-26-2005, 09:26 PM

Hi all!
I'm still here. Just waiting....oficially 2 days past due. DD was 10 days late so I'm just chilling. Oh and breaking all the appliances due to preggo brain...

Congrats to all the new mom's ....can't wait to read the birth stories!

And to rest of us ...hang in there. My husband there are no documented cases of a woman being pregnant for ever.
#76 of 139 Old 01-27-2005, 01:33 AM

Hi mamas,
i've been trying to work on my birth story. it's important to me to write it out while it's so fresh in my head. With Noam (the last one), I was so psyched about everything that I watched his birth video later the day he was born and all my memories of his birth are what I see on the video- not how I really want to remember it. So.... it's almost done and I'll post soon.... with pics. We have a zillion of them, but I need to compress for the web, and I'm not finding much time to myself.
Luka is nursing frantically all day- surely working hard to get my milk to come in quickly. I can feel the stirrings of it and I'm sure that tomorrow there will be more than colostrum. He pretty much has been on all day non stop. My nipples are sore, as with the other boys and I know it'll pass, but this part isn't my favorite.... soon all will be better.

I had all these comments in my head..... but forgot most, lol!
Mar- hope you get a chance to take it easy!!! I thought about you in my labor....I had considered an UB, but then really thought I'd need my mw there to keep me out of my head (worked for the most part), but because the birth was so hard, I was really glad I had her there. I salute you for doing it alone!!! Just goes to show how everyone needs something different..... AND, I needed a lot more touch/ attention this birth in general (from dh). With my last I never wanted anyone to touch me.... this time I got a lot of comfort from him. go figure

Andy- my boys are still thrilled about the baby. I don't think they'll have jealousy issues as they are a little older than your dd, plus they've been around a couple of friends with new babes in the past year and they mostly knew what to expect. But we'll see.... they're in their honeymoon stage right now.... have their grandma here. Everything is fun to them.
And your dd's birth- ick!!! for a first timer? This posterior business is serious. I'm a small mama- small hips (though that means nada), but just small in general.... didn't think I'd have to be pushing out such largess!!

anyhow, dinner awaits..... can't wait to hear about more babies!!!
#77 of 139 Old 01-27-2005, 01:56 AM

Andy - I can sympathize with you. Ds1 was an 8 1/2 lb. posterior, partial brow pres, too. Hence the transfer. : Poor guy had a bulge/ridge on his forehead for months where it had tried to mold. Anywhoo...sounds like you had a very healing second birth, as did I.

Karen - glad to hear from you. Get some good rest, no need to rush for us. We'll be here.
#78 of 139 Old 01-27-2005, 03:46 AM

Hi mamas,
i've been trying to work on my birth story. it's important to me to write it out while it's so fresh in my head. With Noam (the last one), I was so psyched about everything that I watched his birth video later the day he was born and all my memories of his birth are what I see on the video- not how I really want to remember it. So.... it's almost done and I'll post soon.... with pics. We have a zillion of them, but I need to compress for the web, and I'm not finding much time to myself.
Luka is nursing frantically all day- surely working hard to get my milk to come in quickly. I can feel the stirrings of it and I'm sure that tomorrow there will be more than colostrum. He pretty much has been on all day non stop. My nipples are sore, as with the other boys and I know it'll pass, but this part isn't my favorite.... soon all will be better.

I had all these comments in my head..... but forgot most, lol!
Mar- hope you get a chance to take it easy!!! I thought about you in my labor....I had considered an UB, but then really thought I'd need my mw there to keep me out of my head (worked for the most part), but because the birth was so hard, I was really glad I had her there. I salute you for doing it alone!!! Just goes to show how everyone needs something different..... AND, I needed a lot more touch/ attention this birth in general (from dh). With my last I never wanted anyone to touch me.... this time I got a lot of comfort from him. go figure

Andy- my boys are still thrilled about the baby. I don't think they'll have jealousy issues as they are a little older than your dd, plus they've been around a couple of friends with new babes in the past year and they mostly knew what to expect. But we'll see.... they're in their honeymoon stage right now.... have their grandma here. Everything is fun to them.
And your dd's birth- ick!!! for a first timer? This posterior business is serious. I'm a small mama- small hips (though that means nada), but just small in general.... didn't think I'd have to be pushing out such largess!!

anyhow, dinner awaits..... can't wait to hear about more babies!!!
#79 of 139 Old 01-27-2005, 04:40 AM

: Welcome Asher, love the story. Also enjoyed reading about Geneva and Brynn's arrivals- thanks all for the pics and stories!

And I like the newest names- Brynn, Geneva, Asher, Ori, and Luka...

And glad all the hubbies made it to births! Very few birth complications going on around here, too, that's nice! Our group had one high BP, one preterm, one not getting the natural birth she planned, one VBAC gone repeat c-section. I am glad most of you are getting what you wanted in birth, and send hugs to those who didn't.....

Just saying hi...I ended up going to two births this week as an assistant- one a first timer due the day before me, the other a first timer due the same day. SO weird to see a baby that is as old as mine be born! I still feel like birth is nowhere in sight for me. As it is now, I need another week to get paper work done, and then rest and get centered. DH always talks about how for vacations, he doesn't get excited ahead of time, he just goes and stops when it is time, and then is fully present and excited to be there. I think we will both do that for this birth. Though I feel ready in some ways, it still seems impossible that it will actually happen next week or so!

And after cruising into a place where all our appliances were finally fixed and the house was tidy, we now have a pipe leak and had to turn off the hot water heater! Now even though the dishwasher, laundry, and showers are all fixed we can't use them! This is madness, and I am being zen about it. I just need hot water for my tub....and to stay on top of the cleaning so it doesn't get out of hand. Plummer comes in the morning though. Hopefully this is a short phase, a blip on the screen.

Glad you are hangin in there with me AZ still pregnant, and that you are getting/feeling ready Jesse...I am still liking being pregnant except for terrible heartburn...I love feeling the feet and legs, and really am relishing the wiggliness inside me. It's getting me acclimated to the fact that there really will be a baby in my life. I still can't imagine, really, so I like having the baby be so prominent yet "underwraps"......I got my nursing pillow and I sat with it on my lap trying to imagine MY CHILD being there. Craziness....I am just getting excited in a new way.

So, back to sleep...just up late since my schedule got disrupted by the all nighter birth last night.

Take it easy, love those early milky sleepy days in daze you are all in...Heidi
#80 of 139 Old 01-27-2005, 09:30 AM

Good morning everybody.
Hmm, now that it's time to write I forgot what I was going to say. Put my beads on the string last night, but I'll post on the bead thread about that.
DH was helpful with the nesting last night. We spent too much money at Linens N Things when we went in for a diaper pail and came out with pillows, comforters, bedskirt, under-the-bed boxes, sheets, water filter, and oh yes, a diaper pail. Then at home DH set up the filter, put the duvet cover and bedskirt and pillowcases on, and generally made himself very useful. Usually once he gets the stuff in the house it's all mine, but he was great yesterday.

Oh, sounds like he's up now. He'll be looking for me. I just had to get up at 5 and update my web page.

Have a good day everybody!
#81 of 139 Old 01-27-2005, 10:10 AM

Morning! It's so cold out today, I actually thought of going to the shops and getting pics. turned into cards for announcements and stuff like that, but SHEESH! It's like WAY to cold for that. Just getting around the block my fingers and legs were FROZEN inside my gloves and CoolMax. Fagetit.

Ori is doing so well...I am so very blessed. Last night was his hardest night yet. He woke for about 10 min. at 3am with the spitups and pains. I got him upright, burped him, and he went right back to sleep w/out even wanting to nurse (probably the chicken chilli from dinner, though it wasn't too spicy). Slept for 3 hrs., nursed, went back to sleep. I had to get up to get dd onto the bus, but he's still sleeping. I expect he'll give me about another 30 minutes. What an amazing little fellow! Please people, remind me I said this if it gets worse!!!

I found a sucking blister on my left nipple in the shower. It was hurting at latch-on, and I thought we'd avoided these (it didn't arrive until day SIX!!!), but oh well. Lanisoh, here we come!

Lisa - how's the bottom doing? Did you try the hairdryer?

Karen - you sound good - this beginning part is hard, it sounds like you're working through the hard parts and really enjoying the good parts, which is WONDERFUL! Enjoy!!! I'm really glad your boys are doing well with the changes. I'm sure there will be moments, but you sound like one really happy family!

Jessi - you inspire! Go sista! You are going to be one wonderful mama, is all I can say.

Heidi - thank you for the update on how we were all doing. I didn't realize we'd had so many changes to our plans, even though for a group this big it's probably not an unreasonable number of interventions. I can only say thank GOD I wasn't xferred this time round.

Ann - Yup - sounds like my dd's and your ds's births were similar. Poor dd had a little lumpola on her forehead (right on the hairline, so it wasn't too noticeable) for a long time. She was presenting that way because the cord was around her neck and if she'd ducked, she'd have cut off O2, her protection was a VERY wise thing for a teeny baby to do for herself! It really taught me (or started me on the road to realizing) that these babes come out with SO MUCH innate wisdom. We need to just let them have some room to show us how to be their own best parent. I don't know how long this actually holds up; at this stage dd makes a lot of mistakes that she learns from, but they're not too wise (like playing dress-up w/neighbor friend yesterday but taking off their clothes and trading underware. Def. no-no around here.). Anyway, I think the hard births also teach us something...just what I'm not sure yet!

Ok, dh is up and attum, I'm gunna go see what he's like this a.m. Sometimes he's such a cuddlemonger! LOL! Andy

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#82 of 139 Old 01-27-2005, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Good Morning All,

Things are quiet here today. I told my office yesterday that they would not hear from me for the rest of the week and I intend to stick to that. I am going to paint some today. Our house is the basic crappy color that the builder paints, and is horribly dirty because the paint is basically the cheapest they can find. So, we are tired of everything looking incredibly dirty.

Will showed us last night, something we suspected all along, that he is a tummy sleeper. He slept 4 hours at a stretch, which meant that we only got up once in the middle of the night. The mom in me says that he will be fine if he sleeps on his tummy, but the public health professional in me screams out "You can't do that! You have to put them to sleep on their backs!" Not sure what to do, but the sleep was wonderful.

Makes you wonder how we all survived. I slept on my tummy and I was formula fed and my parents gave me cereal very early in life too. By all accounts I should not be doing as well as I am right now. Anyway, I guess I will just have to trust my instincts and do what they tell me.

Hope all have a great day.

Nicole and Will
#83 of 139 Old 01-27-2005, 04:34 PM

Where is everybody today? Mostly enjoying new babies, I hope.

Andy, Ori sounds like a wonderful baby. I hope I have one as happy.

Yesterday I bought a sling (Kangaroo Kids, made locally), breast pump, nursing bra, Lily Padz, lanolin and yet another tiny baby outfit. This is at the local childrens-and-maternity resale, run by an awesome mom and lactation consultant. It's an incredibly useful store (with a little coffee house attached) and it's only two miles from my house. Lucky me!

A January baby would be really nice. It's to the "You're still here?" stage at work. Today I had the first person freak out a little to hear I'm birthing at home. ("Don't be one of those people who don't use drugs... you're what???") Male of course. I liked the study that showed epidurals are good for the husband.

Gah, okay, back to work. You guys are supposed to post and talk about babies and pregnancies and give me something non-work-related to do here.
#84 of 139 Old 01-27-2005, 04:50 PM

Andy -I forgot to mention that yes - we know all about Y moms. We used to go a while back, but most of the kids go to school with ds at his coop preschool. I figure three full days of them hanging out is probably enough, lol. we should start going again, though because its a really great group.

Can I just say, I'm really worried. The marines that got killed in that helicopter crash the other day were all from my town. I'm sure we know a few of them. The military hasn't notified any of the families yet, which is strange because on the news they are saying that they already have (liars). Anyways, my heart is breaking for all of these families right now. Hawaii has lost 29 soldiers in the past 4 days,. Stupid war.

Ok, how to move on from that? Yikes. Jessi, that sock yarn is called Regia . I did spell it wrong.

Nicole, I think Will is probably fine. Although the health professional in me is screaming not to say that. I think as long as he is close by you and you're checking on him alot, he's probably ok. Recently, there have been some new studies on SIDS. One of them says that it might have to do with the gasses from old mattresses breaking down, hence when the baby lays face down he/she is breathing themin more directly. Also, thats why its more common in second children. The other ones have to do with vax, and I don't want to go there in this thread. Trust your mama instincts, but do keep a good eye on him when he is tummy down.

But, you're right...how did we survive, lol?

We're doing well, on the sleep front. I think as long as she has a wakeful period in the late evening, she will sleep pretty good all night. So, she's usually up from 10-11:30 or so, then sleeps until about 5, has a brief wakeful period where she gats burped and diaper changed, and goes back to sleep until about 9. This is so much better than when she slept all evening and then was up from 2-6!

I went to the mall yesterday to spend that GC dh gave me. Realized there isn't really anything I *want* from the mall. ended up getting a bunch of stuff for the kids, and spent some money at the surf store. Sigh, mental note: DO NOT take your kids shopping with you if you want to get stuff for yourself, haha. Its stormy and rainy here today. We were supposed to go up to Haleiwa to see the big waves, but I don't know if we'll go now.
#85 of 139 Old 01-27-2005, 05:17 PM

Ann, very sorry to hear about the marines from your town. s Stupid war, indeed.
If it's raining, will you be able to see the waves?

Nicole, as a non-health professional, I have no qualms about agreeing with your instincts. If he wants to sleep on his stomach, then let him. How much of an increased risk have they measured from tummy sleeping? I bet it is not much.
DH's best friend's son died of SIDS some years ago. He was sleeping on his back. They smoke, though. Dunno about the age of the mattress. She had her tubes tied after the birth, and so now they can't have another baby, even though they'd really like one. I'll never get my tubes tied.
#86 of 139 Old 01-27-2005, 06:06 PM

I finally had my makeup appointment at the bc from the one I missed last Saturday becuase of the snow. Everything is going well we talked about what will happen if I have to come back next week (nst) and the week after (nst and progesterin gell, if I want). I don't know about the gel, we'll see if I get there. I was just glad I didn't have to start going 2x a wk like I did with ds. What a pita that is. We had the very baby happy mw today. I love that woman. If I could pick who would deliver it would ber her hands down. I feel so much better about everything and so relaxed after my appointment today. She asked how big ds was, 8lb 4oz, and she said she thinks this baby may be a little bit bigger. I've been thinking smaller, but she had a growth spurt, and the poor ripped apart skin on my stomach can attest to. Last week I was thinking right around 7 even, now I'm thinking 7 12-14. MIL said 6 10 three weeks ago but now she says bigger becuase my belly got way bigger. DH is saying 7lb 1oz or 7lb 2 oz. I asked ds and he said 10lbs!! The boy has some faith in me.

Jessi, you've just been a buying machine lately. Sounds like you should be ready for baby. I ordered a diaper pail. I've been saying for months that I was going to go and get a trash bin but I can see that is never going to happen. So diaper pail on-line, so I don't have to do anything, it is. I also ordered another pair of breast pads. I've gone breast pad crazy. I leaked so much with ds, it was aweful. When we would go out I would wear 2-3 disposble nursing pads and my shirt would still be soaked!! I got cloth this time, mostly becuase the throw away ones would stick to my nipple and it hurt terrible to take it off.

Nicole, I hope you stick to not checking in with your work. Enjoy some mummy time with Will. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about him sleeping on his stomach. DS slept on his alot when he was a baby. Really the only time that he didn't is when he'd fall asleep in the car or stoller or if I put him down for a nap in his basinett. Which wasn't very often, I could pretty much only nurse laying down for the first couple of months so I would usually nod off nursing him to sleep.

#87 of 139 Old 01-27-2005, 06:17 PM

jESS - Yeah, I suppose we could see the waves. But who wants to sit on a Hawaiian beach in a tropical rainstorm? Ok, I realized the redundancy of that question as I typed it. We decided to go to Sears and get pics taken instead.
#88 of 139 Old 01-27-2005, 06:43 PM

Maya, I sit on the beach in the rain here, although it's a bit different than your tropical locale

Andy, haven't had a chance to get out and get the saalve you mentioned. We've been going diaper free (baby on nappy, not nappy on baby) since we got home yesterday afternoon, and her bum is now totally dry, not inflamed, but is now dry looking and still a little red. I'm going out tomorrow - all by myself (ok with babe!) for my first big solo adventure. We're going to hit the other local bf support group and check it out, and then head to the health food store. This time I plan on taking enough diapers to make it through - I only took 3 clean ones yesterday and she went through them all pretty fast.

P&A - I was hunting around on the ec board and saw you were thinking of doing that with new baby too, are you? Dh has been rather successful with Lauren the last 3 days, especially poops. Amazing. Last night we put a potty bowl next to the bed so I didn't have to get up, and she went in there too. Talk about really amazing things babies can do!

Everyone keeps telling me that newborns pee every 20 min, even the IPT books, but she's going about once an hour, almost right after she wakes. Maybe I'm just lucky. I think I have the perfect setup too - right now we are in the rocker (been here most of the day actually!) with feet up and a fuzzy blanket, baby on diaper on boppy on lap, laptop on table so I can reach, stack of diapers and potty on other side, and we just sit here and let dad serve us. He empties the potty and brings us food and it doesn't get much better than this! Ok so really I need to get my bum up before it falls asleep, and I'm going to have to pee at some point, but it's kind of nice. Next project, making a fleece cover for the potty rim so it's not so cold on her bum.

We went out yesterday too, to the bf group at the hospital, and the lc who runs it is super nice, and they had big babies there too. It only meets once a week though.

So many new babies, congrats to all the mamas and families and babies too, I feel like I'm way behind in the conversations here. We've managed to stay in bed the last 2 nights, even if the quality/length of sleep isn't signficant, it's much better than the sitting up in the rocker all night with my head bobbing.

Back soon, need to catch up with everyone and get writing her birth story.

Lisa

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#89 of 139 Old 01-27-2005, 07:39 PM

Not much happening here. DS and I have been hanging out. He/We had a friend come over today which was nice. Dh is home, so we may do something fun this afternoon. DS is napping

I was quite productive yesterday. I got the floors mopped (the whole house is tile, except for the bedrooms) and I completed some sewing. Woo Hoo...Not sure what I will do today.

I am sorry about everyone's stinky weather. Ours hasn't been too bad. I definitely don't envy your cold, Andy. We lived in the midwest for a few years, and I HATED it. Too cold for me...I hate runny eyes and frozen nose hairs

Proudmom
#90 of 139 Old 01-27-2005, 08:32 PM

Az, me too on the breast pads. I think I have over twenty. Then the Lily Padz that I bought yesterday are ones you can wear all the time, supposedly, just rinse them off and put them back on. No leaking yet, but they'll be useful eventually, I guess.

Heather, great job on mopping the floors and finishing the sewing. It is good to get projects completed.

Ann, the tropical beach in a rainstorm sounds great, but not with a baby. Pictures are good too.

Lisa, your baby sounds adorable. That's awesome that she's peeing in a potty-bowl already! Great job.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page