PIOmama: 1/18 with #5
Peace4you (Jen): 1/19 with #1
Nathansmom (norah): BORN 12/20, Zach 6 lbs 8 oz 18 in, Noah 5 lbs 14 oz 17.5 in
Majick1 (Celeste): 1/20 with #3, homebirth
Marysmama (Gen): Born 1/13, Henry Paul, 8 lbs. 6 oz, 21 in
sweetpeasmom (Laura):Born 10/11, Megan 1 lb 11 ozs, 13 in
AmyB: Born 1/3, 6 lbs 14 oz
Babytime: 1/22 with #2 (GIRL)
Mamabeca (Andy) due 1/22 w/#2 , m/w asstd homebirth.
Zonapellucida (Heidi): 1/23 with #7 (BOY), planned UC
Jwhiskeycat: 1/24 with #1
Flyjawn: 1/25 with #1 (GIRL)
Fromscatteredtribe: 1/26 with #4 (BOY),homebirth
Slygrrl (Kathy): 1/26 with #2, homebirth
sadkitty: 1/27 thru 2/1 with #2, waterbirth at birth center
Proudmom: 1/27 with #2 (GIRL), homebirth
LittleBrownDog (Leigh):1/27 with a girl
Parkersmama (Kristin): 1/27 with #2, hospital VBAC
Human Being (Heidi): 1/28 with #1, homebirth
NadiaSJ (Nadia): 1/28 with #3
Azreial: 1/29 with #2 (GIRL)
HelloKitty (Kitty): 1/30 with #4
icxcnika: late Jan with #2 natural hospital birth
tofumama: Born 1/04, Max Richard, 7 lbs 6 oz, 21 in
Jessitron (Jessica): late Jan with #1, homebirth
Zanelee (Jennifer): late Jan with #2
Malama: late Jan with #3
Milk4two (Adria): late Jan with twins
Chiromom (Mar): late Jan with child #3, planning UC
Parthenia: late Jan/early Feb with #2 (still one of us!)
rubysmomjess(Jess): Jan with #2, homebirth

HokieGirl: ? with ? (GIRL)
#2 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so I stole the list from Marysmama, and all I did was copy and paste, so there are none of the fun colors and stuff. Sorry about that.

I learned a hard lesson today from Will. I forgot that if you work-out, you should nurse right before, and wait an hour after to get rid of the lactic acid build-up. I absolutely made his poor tummy hurt. I felt so bad for him.

Anyway, I started back to running today. It has been so long, and while I was swimming during my pregnancy, I do enjoy running. I am taking it easy, but decided that I needed to start getting physically active again. It felt so good, although I need new running shoes.

Well, I am going to turn into a pumpkin soon, so hope you all have a great night!.

Nicole and Will
#3 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 01:09 AM

Hi! I am still here...

Congrats Pam and Mar....glad you had the birth you wanted Mar! Awesome.

And Lisa, can't wait to hear the story...haven't checked back on your anniuncement thread, maybe it's there.

I am indignant that the hubbies are not answering/remebering their phones, and laughing about the nursing doggie!

I am kinda of reclusive and protecting my time- not answering the phone unless I really feel like talking to someone. Did pictures wit ha friend this weekend, we trekked out to this hard to get to spot on the beach through all these mangroves...it was an adventure- we had to duck and crawl through all these tighly packed half grown trees to get there. But fed my feeling that that we were doing something special- like if it's not different and a little harder than normal it's not as good...ha,ha. Can't wait to get the pics...

On the diapers- I have no idea if my stash is appropriate- I bought stuff around 24 weeks, and it's tilted way too much in favor of tiny dipes that won't last long. I bought them all used off trading post. I have about 15 kissaluvs 0's, and a hodge podge of maybe 10 more like nanipoos, righteous baby and other small WAHM companies. I have boring wraps like proraps, nikkis, a few polarbabies, and a few knitted wool that are probably too big for babies. I will also try EC if i'm up for it. I have 12 indian prefolds that workable are a bit big for newborns, and a dozen regular sized prefolds, and a selection of larger fitted dipes from WAHMS. I figure I'll try them out and see what works, and order more of what I really really like. Or just go prefolds and get rid of all the fancy stuff, and just keep it simple. After i got the fancy diapers, i was thinking how great a baby in a plain dipaer loooks, and thought it's okif the clothes are cuter than the diapers, which are afterall, meant for poop! But those fancy diapers are tempting. We'll see how i like em.

A friend also made me a maya wrap like sling and i got a waterproof soalrveil sling from kangaroo corner. I am excited casue that will be my outside/ beach sling cause it's sun and waterproof. I think there is another cotton kangaroo korner coming my way, too. I figure if the maya or cotton kangaroo gets too spit upy or stinky I can switch them out. I feel sling blessed...we'll see how i do with them!

Anyway, hang in there oh pregnant ones...babes are a coming soon. Hope you all stick around after babies come. We'll miss you MAr!

Heidi, still very patiently ok with being pregnant
#4 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 04:52 AM

Nicole, I don't know how you have it so together, girl. Especially with everything going on. I must give you an applaud or something. I've been walking around in the same cheesy smelling pajamas for two days. My house is a wreck and I'm paying homage to my college days with the dredlocks I'm begining to sport, lol.

Karen and ST - I totally hear ya on the afterpains. They are by far worse than labor. With second baby I tried to suffer through them, but with this one I gladly accepted the prescription motrin. It totally rocked! I was having a lot of pain in my hip and it rocked that too. Speaking of my hip - I'm going to have to get it x-rayed in the next couple weeks. I'm not sure what is going on with it, but I'm still having limited range of motion, and lots of nerve pain around there.

Whew - kids are finally sleeping. My two year old has lost his mind. Ah, I'm so glad he's asleep. That's all I can say.

Oh, and here's the little soaker's I made recently : http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeEM2zlm1ZtmEy The second one isn' the greatest picture. I think my camera lens is scratched.

I like the little lambs too, Nicole. I ordered some of them for V when she's a bit bigger and they are sooo cute. I also got some angelwraps. I loove them, we use them on ds too, along with fuzzi bunz (Karen, they're great)

V's been having some gas issues the past few nights. I finally broke down and got some mylicon drops because I can't bear to see her uncomfortable. They seem to work great, I'd never used them before and I'm pleasantly surprised.

Heidi - I'm so glad you're enjoying the end of you're pregnancy. Its so fast that it over, and your whole world suddenly changes. Cherish it while you can
#5 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 06:00 AM

It's the middle of the night..
At least we got some sleep, Lauren has decided to cluster 8-11 and sleep 4 hrs, which I really appreciate.

Haven't had a chance to write out the birth yet, although I think I've grieved the loss of the water and ncb, so maybe it's time to write before I forget.

Heidi, if you try ec, I'd love to chat about it. We've had about one catch each day as we are living in an old drafty cold house and I can't stand to keep her srmi-dressed to watch for pee. Dh is getting into the act too.

I finally figured out a fold that gets all of a prefold inside of a newborn prowrap. I'm all excited about that!

Ooooh and dh posted pics. I don't know why he can't put them chronologically, I'll have to work on it. http://deadfrog.net/gallery/view_album.php?page=1

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#6 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 11:37 AM

Nicole, thanks for starting the new thread. Good job on the running. Thanks for the tip about working out, too. Hopefully I'll use that.

Heidi, good for you for enjoying pregnancy. Your adventure sounds like fun.

Lisa, the link didn't work. Great that you're doing EC already. I'd try that, except I'll go back to work after 6 weeks, so it's pretty useless. I don't expect Grandma to do all the AP stuff.
Looking forward to the birth story.

Ann, what beautiful shorts! Those are great. And what a darling fat babe in the second picture. Ooh, I want one. I'm almost done with my baby afghan. Picking up stitches is pretty hard, especially from the side. I have no idea whether I'm doing it right. I figure, it's probably not going to come unravelled, so it's close enough. It's a blanket.
Next project is socks (yarn on order) and a then a hat for DH. Let's hope I can get a better fit than on the infant hat. I'm hoping to go to the yarn store today, if I can escape from work a little early.
#7 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 12:16 PM

Ann- That hip pain sound like something I would strongley suggest you should have a chiropractor evaluate rather than an MD or orthopedist. I have seen pregnancy/birth injuries to moms occur that present very similarly and involve joint misalignment and muscle/tendon damage that an orthopedists would either not find or treat with drugs etc that would not actually *solve* the problem (IMO). Anyway, just thinking of you and wishing I could help. Pm me if you would like a chiropractic reference...I know a few good docs in Hawaii.

My after pains are better today...but my pelvis feels like it has been out back together with play-dough. I will definitely be getting re-evaluated and adjusted today!

Ribh was a nursing champ last night...which is great but, it really cut down on my REM sleep and kicked in the afterpains. We are going into town today to the chiropractic school where DH works to weigh her and measure her. Then the kids will go to child care while DH covers my office shift and i go home to nap and bond with Ribh.

I need to schedule some special time with my older kids soon. DD (23 months) had a rough day yesterday and cried herself to sleep in my arms last night. She didn't fall asleep until I sang to her and told her over and over how she was still by baby and I was still her mama. Boy, that got my hormones raging (oh the weeping). She slept well but is pretty irritable this morning.

I will post a few photos...I can't seem to get rid of the personal info...so enjoy them now because I will only leave the link up for about a week.

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?...MmrD8A&notag=1

Have a great day!

Mar
#8 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 12:29 PM

Lisa, the link didn't work. I'm glad to hear you got a good-ish nights sleep.

Diapers. I think I have way too many. With ds I only cd part-time and when he was older. We had a couple of fitted, a few pre-folds, and 1 aio. I loved cd with him. He always seemed so much happy than in a paper diaper. This time we are going to only cd, except for the first couple of meconium poop days.

DH is very iffy about it. He's still kinda, eww gross, about the whole thing, but when he saw I was quite determinded he gave in. DH babysat for someone ages ago who used cd pre-folds and when she showed him how to put the diaper on she didn't fold the sides in at all, just kinda pulled it together and pinned. Which is why DH did not want to do cd. I can't say that I blame him if that was his only experience, becuase he said the poo and pee all just leaked out. Oh the dc were twins too so he had it rough. He said he had his mum bring him some "real diapers" becuase he just couldn't deal with it. Hey but if he was willing to try at 13, and not be totally grossed out until all the leaking. I'm sure he'll do just fine. Oh and when I showed him how I would have put on a pre-fold he softened quite a bit and said that the way I folded it made sense.

Ok stash. We have a dz infant prefolds and the rest of the newborn stash is fitteds; kissaluv 0s, loveybums, full moon baby gear, a nanipoo, a tykies, and anther oen that doesn't have a lable. I got most of them used, either from the tp or ebay. I have way too many covers, I think, 8! Almost all of them I got for good prices used and some came with other stuff that I was buying. I have a varity, pull-ons, wool, fleece, cotton wraps.. In the larger sizes I have a couple aios but still a varity of covers and cover styles, and a dz prefolds with the rest being various fitteds. Oh we do have some wonderroos, but I'm not too sure on those. I got diapers in hemp, sherpa, cotton, velor. I didn't have any money with ds, so all his cloth was hand-me-downs. I wanted to try everything this time. I've had the diapers for months, also. Right after I finished buying I thought I had too many newborn diapers, but now I think I could have used a couple more. I think this is going to be a little baby and the newborns will fit for longer than I had oringinal thought. We'll see.

Thank you everyone for to no-baby vibes yesterday. I really had myself worked up. I do have to say it was a very good thing I didn't go into labor yesterday. The beach bridge was closed for a little while but the highway bridge was open. However about a mile after the bridge the reason why the highway was closed became clear. DH said there was a snowdrift across the whole thing 10 feet tall! Yeah I could have called an ambulance if I was in labor but I imagine thay would have brought me to the Gloucester hospital and no thank you. I went there once. I had mixed meds and passed out. This was almost a year ago and I still have a scar from where they put the iv in my hand, which they did such a poor job of that my hand hurt for over 2 wks. Also they released me in less than 24 hrs and I wasn't even fully aware of what was going on. I can only remember bits and pieces of the hospital. I felt like the place is run by Dr Nick from the Simpsons. I'd rather give birth in the back of a pickup truck than go to that place

Oh the news said I was in one of the hardest hit areas for the snow, getting at least 3 ft.

mamamaya, that soaker looks awesome. I wish I could knit like that. I can only make scarves :LOL , which is fine becuase I only do it becuase it calms me down. Violet looks awesome btw. She's such a happy looking baby.

Slings, ahh. I had a crappy no-jo sling with ds. Which was great around the house but since I am so short (5'0") it was very overwhelming for me and it didn't last too long. However I did see how with a better design it could have been great. Months ago, November-ish. I got a hotsling for dh and I, becuase I've heard how great pouches are. I don't know it seems nice but you can't adjust it. So I ended up getting a ring sling for myself too, a nice simple unpadded one. I also got dh a mesh water ring sling. I had told him about water slings way before we even got the hotslings and he thought it sounded great being able to take the baby in the shower with him, or even his mothers pool (which he doesn't even go in himself). He had brought up how nice it would be to shower with the baby quite a few times in the last couple of months, which is why I got the mesh sling. I don't really know that I'd use it, but I can if I want since it adjusts. We also got an ergo. Dh said he used to love to carry around one of his sisters (can't remember which one) in one of the front packs. I'm not very keen on the front packs. I had one for ds and I don't think I even used it 2 wks. It hurt my back, his feet keep hitting my legs, making it hard to walk and I just don't think they look very comfy for the baby. I know I wouldn't like being hung by my crotch. With the ergo it at least looks more comfy for the baby, it still looks overwhelming to me. DH is very excited about it though.

I feel like I pulled a muscle in my groin when I was sleeping. So I think I'm not going to do much of anything today. Plus I ate way too much junk yesterday and I'm having diarrhea-like craps today because of it. Yuck!

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#9 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 12:56 PM

Oh wow - it's so great to be back on line, downstairs, back to life. I even went so far as to walk the dog this morning! I guess for day 4/5 it's doing ok. Dh is still home with me, which is SO amazing. I sort of expected him to go back to work today, so every little thing he gets done is SO amazing.

Chiro - WOW - your babe is awesome! It does look like it was a rough journey - what is the origin of Ribh?

What is EC?

On diapes: we only wash once a week. Dh does the diaper laundry (well, he get's it into the washer anyway), which is the gross part of the process IMO, anyway. Both dh and I prefer and use almost exclusively the aio's, because it really saves a lot in laundry for us. We have about 30 smalls(about 8 - 15lbs), about 30 meds (10 - 20 lbs range (ish)) and then a bunch large and xlrg (20 - 35 lbs). We also use the motherlove diapes, which I think for a NOT aio are the best going - super adjustable and softer than my baby's downy hair. They need wraps, and I've found I'm just too darned lazy to do wool (which you don't have to wash everytime, but I wrecked like three of them and gave the rest to people who were more responsible with them than I). I have some cute wraps and some plain, about 15 in all sm/m and another 15 L/xl. We used almost all of these on dd, and just saved them. Somehow we lost the L/XL aio's and had to buy 10 new ones of those. Drag. I think the big dependables are:

1. How lazy do you want to be w/diapes?
2. How important is it to you to use cd most of the time? (then you need more diapes!)
3. How often do you want to wash?

Otherwise, IMO, it's a fashion/style thing. I don't think that the wool wraps are that much better than the breathable plastic - keeping baby dry and comfy and not at 100% humidity inside there is pretty much the objective of CDing moms, and doing that however you want to is pretty much the objective of freethinking, babyloving, self-respecting, nature loving mamas everywhere.

Afterpains on day 4/5 are better. Still having some that are flat out bothersome, but I think that baby #3 and on is much MUCH worse. #2 is ok, just kind of ugh. Like Ann said, it's not so much that I need meds to deal with them as that they kind of disturb sleep and make nursing a little less blissful.

Az - we're less than 3 hrs. from you and I think you guys got like 3x as much snow as we did! They closed the George Washington and TappanZee bridges here, which pretty much closed off NYC to road traffic. The trains were running part-time, so dp's managed to make it up on Sunday for a few hours. The roads here were clear. I think East and South of us got it WAY worse, which is weird.

I kwym everyone expressing need to spend some QT with big sibs. Dd here was bouncing off the walls by the time school came around today. She was sick for most of the week with a rotten cold, lovely timing, eh? I did try to spend some time with her but it was hard because ds here is such a MONSTER nurser - he got my milk in on day 2, and has been a champion since. It's tough to play games with an attachment of this nature. We did read books, practice school work, and play some cards, but with the afterpains and all, I was not too keen having her bouncing around on the bed with us too much. I guess we'll have to schedule some time soon...

Ok, must get going. I love the soakers Ann! I personally think the homemade version of ANYTHING for baby is so much bette for baby, all infused with love ...

Take care all, baby vibes to those who want them, preggo vibes to those still wanting that! I don't really miss the preggo days, but I'm glad Glad GLAD I got to enjoy it to the end. XXX andy

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#10 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 01:00 PM

Az, I hear it's hard to have too many newborn covers. 5-6 is supposed to be a minimum. We don't want to have to wash them very often. Also, I expect a lot of leaks until I get better at folding the things. Fortunately we have about a dozen fitteds and half a dozen AIOs in small sizes, so we won't have to use the prefolds too much. Except for that cord stump consideration. Hmm. I'm planning to risk meconium staining. I'm way too excited about these cute diapers to wait a few more days to use them. Gotta CD for all the pictures, too. Maybe on the really nice ones I'll use paper liners. (Will that help?)

Is the diarrhea-like BMs a sign of impending labor? (I want to think everything is) There's a cleaning-out associated with the beginning of labor, right?

Ew about the Gloucester hospital. How far is your drive to where you're planning to birth?

Full moon tomorrow. I'm guessing Az and Karen will have babies within a day or two. ST, are you ready?

We're debating whether to order the Ergo now. DH's biggest concern is that the newborn insert appears to come only in a dreadful pattern.
#11 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 01:09 PM

http://deadfrog.net/gallery/album23

#12 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 01:11 PM

Hmmm...diapers. We have prefolds, motherease sandies, fuzzi bunz and some fitted for the new babe. I used the fuzzi bunz with ds and they worked GREAT! We won't start until the meconium is over. Too gross IMO.

Afterpains...I never noticed them with ds. I will definitely have some calcium and ibuprophen on hand for them.

DS is feeling better today. Not sure what the fever was about?!?

DH was worried about us since he had forgotten his phone. He hoped I remembered the number for the dispatch office. I did, but we had a little practice to make sure I knew the pertinent info

Ann - where do you find time to knit??? I am Soooooo impressed. I keep hoping you get my name in a swap I have several half-finished projects. I just either don't buy the right yarn or it takes me forever (if I can stay awake) Oh well...

Off to eat some breakfast.

Oh, I had to laugh about your hospital Az. Dr Riveria is one to watch out for...

Proudmom
#13 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa2976

Very precious!! Thanks for sharing, Lisa!

Proudmom
#14 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 01:52 PM

HI All!
I was thinking the list was all quiet because I didn't get any email notifications, but then I don't think I posted on this new thread yesterday. What a PLEASANT surprise to read so much and look at so many GREAT pics!!!

I'm hanging in there- doing fine. Dh wants the baby to come tues nite after his job is done (or after). i'm actually fine with that. Once you get past a certain time, what's another day or two???? Only thing is that I probably need to "entertain" my mom. She figures we should go out and do stuff now before baby comes. True.... we'll see if I'm in the mood though.

Nicole- I can't believe you're that much PP that you're running! time does fly!!! I guess Will is 3+ weeks old??? and you're running already. yk, we tell our moms to wait- mostly because doing too much can increase pp bleeding. but whatever works for you!!

Heidi- so glad you're enjoying the end of pregnancy. After helping others with theirs for so long, it's a treat to be on the other end, eh??? And it woulnd't be complete without experiencing a lot of different pregnancy stuff. You enjoy it mama.... this time alone is precious and will come few and far between later.

Ann- I LOVE the pics. Violet is getting sooooo big! she's all filled out too! wow. And the little pants- CUTE! How do those wool things work? I see people post all over MDC about soakers and frankly, last I was diapering, I never heard of wool soakers- actually I did have a European friend who used something like that, but soooo long ago. She looks precious.

Lisa- Lauren looks gorgeous and so wide-eyed. I love her big dark eyes..... she's gonna be a beauty. Thanks for sharing- soooo inspiring!

Mar- the pics are awesome- I love that vernix-y covered first photo! that's really precious!!!! Ribh looks like she had a very gentle birth. Congrats again. I'm sorry to hear about your other DD, though. Obviously you're very in tune with her needs and will figure out a way to comfort her. Sad she cried herself to sleep.... poor baby.
BTW, to get rid of that personal info on shutterfly, you'll probably need to re-sign up with a different name altogether. that's my guess.... I'm sure it's HIGH on your list of priorities.

Az- glad you made it through the worst of the storm. it sounds like you would have been in a jam if labor had really started. what a compliant baby to wait for better weather. yay!

Andy- so glad you're back on your puter! we (I) was missing your long and insightful posts (even if they are about diapers!).

Jessitron- diarrhea-like BMs can be a sign of impending labor. it's not a for sure thing, but is good nonetheless.....

Heather- glad to hear ds is feeling better. My kids sometimes get random fevers- no other symptoms, nada. THey'll last for 1 day/night or so and then nothing. This last year my younger ds had that quite a bit. go figure.

I don't want to get out of bed..... sounds more fun to watch movies all day or something else extremely lazy. I'm actually really glad I didn't have the baby last night. DH was sooooo tired yesterday. He got up at 5, drove about 1.5 hours and then went on two boat trips in the hot sun, trying to keep steady and video people. I think it was fun- one a whale watch and the other a snorkel cruise, but there have been big swells and he had to keep steady the whole time. He didn't get home til after 7. It's good my mom's here because after baby is born, he'll be in bed right along side us recovering from his big job.

Aloha all!!!
#15 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 01:57 PM

Andy, cross-post. Good to hear from you! Glad you're not missing pregnancy and are enjoying your babe. Thanks for the diaper info. I suspect DH will strongly prefer the AIOs and we'll wind up buying lots of those when we move to mediums.

Lisa, the pictures are great! You look a little tired, but beautiful. Your baby is lovely. How cute tucked in the sling.
#16 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Proudmom, glad your son is better today.

we use hand-me-down disposables for the first week, since people tend to buy too many little dipes and have open packages they pass down to poorer folks like us. i agree that the meconium is not worth scraping off of those nice cloth diapers.

after seven years of cloth diapering through our undergrad, graduate, and post-college limited budget days we have a strange collection. we used to be rubber pants and pins kind of people...we have since moved on to prefolds with snappis and a variety of covers. a very generous local MDC mom had a charity drive here for us a few months ago that led to us collecting like fifteen trader joes bags of diapers and clothing. there were some really nice toddler diapers for our two year old, but i have no idea what the names of the fitteds are. one woman even made two 2yo diapers and two newborn diapers in lovely fleece to match each other. ds3 loves them. we passed some down and kept enough. we bought a few more covers from the TP and borrowed some of the infant prefolds, since ours are all larger but our babies have weighed between 8'6'' and 9'12'' at birth and get to 20 pounds by 3-4 months. i like the bummis whisper pants and consider that kind of fancy, at 5 bucks a pop. we only use covers once and therefore wash diapers every few days, but we still find that less than a dozen covers leaves you shorthanded. maybe we'll handwash the newborn covers, but once ds3 poops or even pees it goes straight into a dry pail and I don't touch it until it has been washed twice and rinsed once. dh does all the dunking...ummmm..because of my...ummmm...severe...morning sickness/excema/fill-in-the-blank! (i am too spoiled!!!)

hang in there ladies. i finally decided today that i don't care if i'm pregnant forever. at least it is easier. i didn't wake up until 7:55 and got showered, dressed, got three kids dressed, ds1's school lunch packed and out the door by 8:20...with a newborn I'll have to factor in emergency nursing time right as we leave, time to deal with last minute poopy blow-outs, and crying in the car for the ten minutes it takes to get ds1 to school. at least now i've got it down. babe can stay in for a while longer. he's not due for 2 days anyway.
#17 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 03:23 PM

ST - you sound better. I am glad things are better for you.

Proudmom
#18 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromscatteredtribe
hang in there ladies. i finally decided today that i don't care if i'm pregnant forever. at least it is easier. i didn't wake up until 7:55 and got showered, dressed, got three kids dressed, ds1's school lunch packed and out the door by 8:20...with a newborn I'll have to factor in emergency nursing time right as we leave, time to deal with last minute poopy blow-outs, and crying in the car for the ten minutes it takes to get ds1 to school. at least now i've got it down. babe can stay in for a while longer. he's not due for 2 days anyway.
ST- I have to agree with you there. DH has been getting ds off to school in the morning, so I've been able to sleep in as late as I want (11 twice last week) I'm going to miss laying around with dh after ds goes to sleep. Then there's the car. DS is in a booster seat but he can't buckle himself in, so it will be almost like two in regualr car seats for me. DH's brother is getting married in Ohio this June and we're planning on driving there. DH thinks we're just going to get in the car and make the 14 hour drive in one shot : I'm thinking this babe can stay in until mmmm feb 1st. Sometimes I feel like I am so not ready for an infant

Jessi, on the ergo we didn't get the infant insert. I know I'm really weird about the front pack but insert or no insert, I just don't like a teeny baby in one. DH is going to be using the hotsling until the baby is big enough for the ergo. Oh and meconmium is very yucky and sticky. I can't imagine how gross it would be to clean off cloth. ST- we also have hand-me-down disposibles. My sister had most of a jumbo package left fomr her son that we are going to use for the the begining until they're gone.

The birth center is about 1/2 hour away asuming the roads are ok, longer if snowy. But almost the whole trip is on the highway so snow usually isn't bad becuase they tend to be very good at keeping it pretty drivable. The hospital here hasn't had a materinty ward I guess for 14 years from what I understand they've been trying to close this hospital for years. I see lot of bumper stickers saying "save addison-gilbert it our hospital" around town. After my experience there I just laugh and wonder how many of those people have actually gone there lately. I think, and I'm not alone, that its a crappy hospital and it deserves to be closed. However there is that whole 2 way in/out problem. And with the fishing industry here there are alot of people who need bones set, stiches etc and if you couldn't get to the other hospital....

Andy, I think you're more than 3 hours from us. NYC is about 5 hours from here. We got so much snow because we are on a cape. The city that I grew up in, a 45 min drive from here, but also on the coast, only got 26". Better example, dh's parents live 10-15 minutes further out on the cape from us and they got 6" more than we did. But I think most of MA got more than NY Boston got just a bit over 2'.

The pictures were great Mar and Lisa. Mar, dh wasn't kidding when he said the baby had tons of vernix. Lisa you looked about how I looked after giving birth to ds.

I'm in a very good mood today. DS and I got the changing table ready to go, played a gaem, had some snack. I ran around upstairs with the dog for awhile. DS and I desided to torment the dogs, Emma has on a bat wing collar fomr halloween and little Louie, the "nursing puppy" has on Emma's snowman bandanna. Louie thanked us, by pooing right in front of the door, a nice mushy stinky one. I think we out played the poor dogs though. Emma's hiding in her doggy bag sleeping and Louie is curled up on a towel sleeping.

We'll see about the full moon that didn't work with ds he was born a few days after. I checked the moon phase when he was born and if its true that you tend to birth around the same moon phase, this babe will be born Feb 14. Maybe I'm just destined to have late babies. Well, she's not late yet, but I'm not holding my breath.

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#19 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 03:38 PM

Hey scat - god bless you for getting THAT much done in 25 minutes! It sometimes takes me that long to get ds dressed and brushed! And then she makes it down to the kitchen and says she can't find underwear! Eesh. I did it this am by getting ds into bed with dd and waking her up, which she was SO psyched about, honestly!, and then motivating her with more time with him after she's gotten dressed, after,she's eaten, etc. It worked ok, but took longer than normal. No major poopie blowouts, but then we just go to the end of the drive and wait for the bus... a lot easier than driving! Ds slept so well I risked the walk around the block with the dog (dh was sleeping upstairs...am I a bad mommy!?). He was totally snoozed when we got back, hadn't moved an inch. He seems to really like the little rocker chair someone passed on to us (their children didn't love it, I guess, but he thinks it's ok, at least to sleep in), and slept well in it for about an hour. He's a pretty good little sleeper so far.

We are now totally in CD's, and LOVING IT! YEAH!!! We used the 7th Gen. disposables (anyone need any - we've got an open pack!) for the first few days because - and 1st time mamas listen up - MECONIUM IS REALLY HARD TO WASH!!! It is like tar. It made up of the cells that initially formed the organs inside baby and are no longer part of the organs, and they slowly pass through the intestines (it takes like 2 mos!) collecting stray red blood cells and other waste, and it is REALLY SUPER HARD to clean. We used almond oil on baby's bottom right from the get-go because it does help keep the meconium from sticking there. But it will NEVER come off your diapes. The disposable liners will help, but you're sort of missing the connect between the super lovely diape and the bottom of baby then. Don't worry too much about the pictures - the meconium is gone by the end of 3 or 4 days, and you can snap a ZILLION photos when it's finished. Really!!! Don't wreck those expensive diapes ('cause we did and I regret it!)! Karen - you sound SUPER! I don't think it'll be to long now - with mom there and dh almost done with his project, it sounds like you'll be ready to rock and roll soon! I'll be thinking of you!
Oop - he's awake so gotta go. xxx andy

#20 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 04:05 PM

You know, I'm there with Tiffany- I don't care anymore when the baby is born. My extreme need to be over with pregnancy went out the window. I'd certainly love to be holding the babe, but it's just so out of my control and I was trying too hard to control it! I KNOW better. My only thing is that I'd like my mom to be able to take care of me and the babe at least a little before having to leave.... but I already told her that I'd just make her stay if it hasn't come yet.
Baby is still very active and all is good.... so nothing to complain about.

We're going hiking- an easy hike this am. So it should be nice.

Question about fuzzi bunz and mec..... "they" say on the websites that mec is easy to clean out of fb- because they're fleece..... anyone have any insight?? I'm not into puttin disposables on my nb, and never did in the past.... but these diapes are nice. Maybe I could just put one of the more stained used prefolds inside- or inside a normal cover in the beginning..... I don't want to go over the diaper board to ask- they scare me :
#21 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

I have Little Lambs AIOs, and they have a fleece inner. I actually stained one with mec. from DD. It is some seriosly icky stuff. I would definately use the prefolds to protect your Fuzzi Bunz. Fleece or not, that stuff is awful!

Nicole and Will
#22 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 04:28 PM

We haven't had problems with washing out the meconium at all (nor with DD #1)... hmmmmm ??? Maybe our girls make easy-peasy poop?

My poor parents have both come down with colds, and so they are basically sleeping and doing their best not to share it with the girls. I am now seeing even more so now how wonderful the pouch is! Brynn has been snoozing happily in it pretty much all day so far, and I've been able to play with DD #1, make lunch, sweep up & catch up on email without much challenge at all! I can't imagine how I'd survive without it
#23 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 05:02 PM

Karen - I would just put a flannel liner inside the FB. I have a bunch I can send you if you'd like. They might be a bit big, but they are very thin, so you could always fold them in half. Wool soakers are supposed to be more breathable and cooler than other covers. I find them a little harder to take care of, but I love knitting them, so that's why we use them. I'm glad you're enjoying pregnancy now mama. I've actually been feeling a little blue lately, because I had baby a tad early, I feel like I got cheated out of those last precious weeks. Especially with her being my last one.

Heather- Hehe...I almost put us together this swap, but I wasn't sure if you'd be into it. Next month I'll hook us up My secret to knitting is that I knit very, very fast...and knit very small things, lol. For all you knitting socks - you have to check out Regalia self striping sock yarn. Awesome! I'm thinking V needs a pair of tights made from the stuff.

Mar- Rihb is beautiful! I'm guessing her name is of Gaelic origin. What does it mean? I'm PM'ing you on Chiro names. I wouldn't go to a orthopedist with a ten foot pole, and I think this might be misalignment/soft tissue stuff, so not sure what they could do anyway. I was up all night from the darn thing last night. Hopefully I can get in with someone by Wed. Thats a bummer about dd. My ds is the same age and he's been doing the same thing. He was up with me almost all night asking to nurse, and after a point I just had to say no. He gets so upset and it just breaks my heart. My mom will be back later this week, though, and he's been sleeping with her, (she lives with us part of the year) so that should ease things a bit. to you and dd. I'm right there with you.

Lisa - Lauren is gorgeous! And so are you mama! You both look so peaceful and serene.. There is something really ethereal about the way you look in that first pic.

Andy- so glad you're back. A dog walk on a nice cold morning sounds lovely.

Ok, gotta get off computer and take care of kids
#24 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malama
..... I don't want to go over the diaper board to ask- they scare me :
LOL...they scare me too. there was a question in the past month about meconium with a poll and among the comments there were like three of us who said we used sposies for meconium and some of them almost went so far as to change their name to a secret one (not really, but they hung their head in shame...so embarassed). i said, don't be ashamed; think of the thousands of diapers you've saved from the landfills. I only use sposies when my asthmatic kids were on antibiotics and appeared to be getting thrush, with SEVERE stomach viruses SOMETIMES, when we were moving cross country when ds3 was 3 weeks old, and with meconium.

I am not militant enough for those diapering boards AT ALL, just hate the waste of sposies both grabage and money-wise.

SOME POSTERS on the diaper boards HOWEVER so claim that meconium was NEVER a problem on their nice diapers...no liners, no anything. Not my experience...we still have some stains. i'm sticking with the sposies we were given until they run out (not long with a newborn...maybe a week)
#25 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 05:37 PM

Ann, is the spelling right on the name of the sock yarn? I get nothing when I google it. I do see some cool-looking self-striping yarn. I'll look for that at the yarn store today.

Maybe I'll use Kushies liners or something like that inside the diapers for the first few days, when I don't use prefolds. Prefolds can get stained. They are $1.50. The liners will hopefully catch the majority of the meconium. And I'll save the very favorites, like the Sugarbum and the Harleyz, for after the tar-poop is gone. Thanks for all the warnings.

Kathy, can you knit with the baby in the sling?

Andy, that is sweet how excited DD is about her new brother.

Karen, good that you're settling back into the pregnancy. I don't mind being pregnant, even this pregnant, but all these baby photos make me want a baby. Yet, I'm nervous too, about the sleep-deprivation and other stresses of caring for a newborn.
Hiking? So much for your watch-a-movie-in-bed day.

We won't hurry on the ergo, then, and we'll skip the infant insert. The local children's-resale-and-breastfeeding store here makes a sling; we'll get one of those in addition to the Maya. There are so many slings.
Az, What door did Louie poop right in front of?
#26 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 07:44 PM

az - stop in and say hi when you are in ohio.

we used 1 pack of sposies from the hosp for the merc poops, they were pretty gross, even the transition poop was icky. dh just finished the first load of dipes, we'll see how good he is at laundry.

lauren has nursed all day nonstop, i don't know if she is masking up for no milk the first few days or if she just got so old being 2 weeks late that we're starting the 2 week growth spurt a week early

#27 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 11:35 PM

Hi Lisa - dd did the power nursing at just that age too... ds here has been doing it since moment 1. It's just a way to get more milk flowing, not necessarily (although often it is) part of a growth spurt. They want more, so they overcompensate (they are so very wise, our littlest ones!) in nursings to get the milk flowing. Once it is, they only take what they need, and the breast readjusts to how much they actually use. Takes a couple of days, and of course by then they're ready to grow again! It's endless and somewhat frustrating if you ever want to do anything other than breastfeed, but hey - it's also amazing and it's a great excuse to watch lots of movies at home (talk on the phone, read, add your own...)!

Well, we've got to go tomorrow and fill in the birth cert. info., and we're not all that excited about the name isaac. we do love the name, but it doesn't seem perfect for this little peanut. He kind of serious/wise/old, rather than a bundle of giggles, as the name implies (it means he who laughs in hebrew). sigh. we've decided to each pick three names, and then we'll swap lists and I get to pick on eoff dh's list, he picks one name off my list, and then we'll decide on the first/second by what sounds right. This isn't the way I thought we'd get a name...I thought he'd be an isaac! Any help would be lovely...

I think Karen's idea of using already stained prefolds is a perfect compromise! That way the poopie diapes are cloth, but not ones that you LOVE! Prefolds are really pretty ok to stain up - they can be cut up later for wash cloths etc., and the stained areas eliminated then. Or else just hang on to them and they become garage rags, eventually!

I've avoided the diaper boards too...lurked there for a while and when talk turned to using sphagnum moss instead of liners, well, I just kind of back quietly out of there and didn't return. If I were in the woods, if I had nothing else to use, or if there was some other reason to, I'd use moss, but it turns baby's bottom slightly brownish/green (seriously!) and although very absorbant it's kind of gross...can you EVER get all the bugs out of moss???

Lots of love ladies! Little guy is sleeping...whatever his name is, he's so beautiful to me! I am so in love...

xxx andy

#28 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 11:36 PM

Aloha All,
We had a nice hike, a nice lunch and then I had a prenatal. Baby will come sometime, says the mw.... lol!

Ann- the flannel liner is a great idea- I have tons of flannel and other fabric, so no need to send, but I surely appreciate it! THat's a lot less bulky than a prefold on a brand new one.

And glad to know I'm not the only one who's afraid of the diapering board. I was actually a seriously crazy CD mama with my first kid (very young). I remember that we got on this small plane once and had to check the diaper bag at the gate (couldn't bring anything on). It was a short flight, so no biggie. Well ds1 had a huge poop, and someone offered me a disposable and I wouldn't put it on! Crazy me..... would never do that again. I also travelled tons and always brought a whole suitcase of CD. I was insane (not that I would judge any of you for doing the same, but I can judge myself).

Ooh, dh just got home and he might not have to work tomorrow... woo hoo. Let's have a baby sometime soon!
#29 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 11:51 PM

Oooh, I'm jealous of your hike K. - sometime when there isn't feet of snow and it's above freezing, maybe I'll get back on the trail... my hikes in HI were def. some of my BEST forest moments. I love the OCD diape. story! I was a bit there, too. Took a whole backpack of CD's to NY when dd was 10 mos., and left that plane so smelly it was, well, I didn't mind too much, but we got a lot of space from our neighbors! LOL! I use lots of flannel liners too, they're wonderful! I can't remember where I got them, they're tapered, and some are quite long, so I can fold them over in the front (for ds) and just about in half (for dd). I liked that, kind of like using a doubler... andy

#30 of 139 Old 01-24-2005, 11:54 PM

Quote:
've avoided the diaper boards too...lurked there for a while and when talk turned to using sphagnum moss instead of liners, well, I just kind of back quietly out of there and didn't return. If I were in the woods, if I had nothing else to use, or if there was some other reason to, I'd use moss, but it turns baby's bottom slightly brownish/green (seriously!) and although very absorbant it's kind of gross...can you EVER get all the bugs out of moss???
:

:

Andy - I got your bead today. Thank you!! What a wonderful note! I actually started crying when I read it. I've been having a very stressful past few days, and it was just what I needed. Please tell dd Violet says thank you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page