When is your first prenatal appointment? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 05-27-2004, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine is June 7th! I am going to beg for an ultrasound because I conceived on Clomid and I want to know if I am carrying multiples as early as possible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 47 Old 05-28-2004, 12:14 AM

I have an appointment scheduled with an ob/gyn for June 28, but we're trying to figure out our new health insurance -- we might be able to afford the midwife we used last time.

How exciting that you might be carrying multiples!

Truvie
#3 of 47 Old 05-28-2004, 10:07 PM

I go in on Tuesday for the little prelim appointment (pee on their stick, talk about prenatals, the usual). And then when I get back from vacation in July we'll do the big appointment. I'm kind of hoping to be able to hear the heartbeat on the doppler by then or sweettalk them into an U/S as we had a miscarriage in March. I really need some reassurance that this little one is okay!

j
#4 of 47 Old 05-30-2004, 12:43 AM

Lisa - I'm in the same boat! I was on 150mg clomid and I want to know how many are in there! If I had to bet, I'd say at least 2. I felt ovulation pain 3 days in a row. I got my BFP yesterday and then I had what I would GUESS is like implantation spotting last night, after some pretty strong crampy feelings. We'll see!!!

My RE doesn't even know I'm PG yet! :LOL I had my blood drawn for pg test yesterday but they were closed for the long weekend. Guess they'll call me Tuesday and tell me when to come in!

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#5 of 47 Old 05-31-2004, 07:05 PM

I'll be going in on Wednesday, pretty good since I'm not even 4 weeks yet!!
I am on Heparin though so that needs to be monitored.
#6 of 47 Old 05-31-2004, 07:45 PM

I don't know! I don't even know how to find a midwife. I was anxious to call around today, but with it being a holiday, I'll start tomorrow.
My midwife would take care of everything from conception to delivery, wouldn't she?
I sure hope I can find one. This area's ob's do not have a very good reputation.

Tracie (midwife hunting)
#7 of 47 Old 05-31-2004, 11:15 PM

We went and interviewed midwives last week/ I'm not sure when our first real appt will be though, probably not until the middle of June.
#8 of 47 Old 05-31-2004, 11:21 PM

Hi peacefulvegan - I'm just lurking in this forum, but to answer your question - Yes, a midwife will care for you prenatally through postpartum.

You could start by finding some info here:

http://ohiomidwives.org/

Aloha
#9 of 47 Old 06-01-2004, 11:59 AM

Don't know yet, need to call my OB in a little bit and they will have me do a blood test first then schedule the first appointment. Can't wait! I've thought about using a midwife this time around but I just have the most amazing OB/GYN that I decided against it, I really love him I am thinking of finding a doula though to assist.

Kitty

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#10 of 47 Old 06-02-2004, 01:04 AM

My first appointment at the birthing center is this Monday June 7th. I'm posting in the January and February threads until I get my due date. Since I haven't had a period since May 2002...thats when I conceived ds1...they'll determine by the level of hCG. Guessing by how I feel, and possible conception times, I'd say I'm about 4-6 weeks now. I can't wait until the appointment though

#11 of 47 Old 06-02-2004, 01:23 AM

Thanks, mamamaya! I actually found a couple this morning in my area. I was shocked but there is one right here where I live! Considering the population is about 300, I really didn't think there would be one! I talked to her today and we are going to meet for an interview next week.

Tracie (soaking it all in)
#12 of 47 Old 06-02-2004, 02:18 AM

Great! I hope everything works out for you
#13 of 47 Old 06-02-2004, 08:46 PM

I have my first appt. on June 28th. They were trying to get me in sooner, but I'm a teacher, so afternoon appointments are all I can make. I really like my OB, during our preconception appointement we talked about nursing while pregnant/tandem nursing, natural birth options (I'm going to try to do it this time!),and he told me how well-informed i was about charting and ttc. of course, he knows my mom (who is a midwife) so that makes things nice.

And no, my mom will not be delivering my baby. People always ask me that!
#14 of 47 Old 06-02-2004, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesleyluu
I have my first appt. on June 28th.
I have my first appointment on the same day!!! I'm in the morning though. So we can compare notes on teh 28th....

Kitty

#15 of 47 Old 06-03-2004, 01:18 AM

My first appointment is on the 28th too

The ob/gyn office told me that they do an ultrasound on the first visit. Is this standard, and are you guys having one this early?
#16 of 47 Old 06-03-2004, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truvie
My first appointment is on the 28th too

The ob/gyn office told me that they do an ultrasound on the first visit. Is this standard, and are you guys having one this early?
Wow we'll have lots to talk about on the 28th around here I guess! Hehe.

That seems early to me for an ultrasound but my ob is rather anti-ultrasounds - he only does one at around 20 weeks unless something is wrong. He did more with my last son but only because I had m/c'ed just prior and I was paranoid.

Some docs have no issues doing a lot of ultrasounds though and it gives you lots of chances to see your little jellybean Not that you'll be able to see much that early on...

Kitty

#17 of 47 Old 06-03-2004, 01:36 AM

I conceived this time via IUI at a fertility clinic and they apparently do an U/S when your beta reaches 2000, which last time happened to me at 5 weeks. After 3 m/c, frankly, I'll take all the U/S's I can get. My reg OB saw me today and she gave me a requisition to do a beta every other day for the next 2 weeks. She also offered to sedate me until 35 weeks (joke). I'm still nervous as nervous gets, I'll hopefully feel better when I get my second beta level back tomorrow.
#18 of 47 Old 06-03-2004, 01:47 AM

Shannon I know you will be a paranoid wreck and just want to make sure you know you can come and freak out here at any time or PM me and freak out if it makes you feel better. Sending a super ton of sticky vibes your way.

Kitty

#19 of 47 Old 06-03-2004, 11:01 AM

Shannon, ((((hug))))) Sticky vibes. I'm so glad your symptoms are kicking in to make you feel better about this pregnancy.

I will be having an ultrasound at my appointment too. I know there are many people here who question the neccesity, safety, and validity of ultrasounds, and I understand their points. But for me, seeing the heartbeat will be so reassurring. Once you have seen a heartbeat, your chance for having a m/c decreases dramatically. It made a huge difference to me in my first pregnancy, because my OB at the time didn't even see me until I was 12 weeks or so. My mom did the ultrasound in her office, and we saw the heartbeat.
#20 of 47 Old 06-03-2004, 11:07 AM

So Lesley, this may seem like a wierd question, but is there a reason you wouldn't want your mom to deliver you? Or is it more of a professional thing.
I never asked if she was delivering you, but I did wonder
#21 of 47 Old 06-03-2004, 11:07 AM

Oh I so agree - I remember with Cam, I think I didn't breath until after I saw that heartbeat, then I was still paranoid but not *as* paranoid which was great! I wish my doc wasn't so anti-ultrasound most of the time. I'm thinking he may do more u/s this time as well though not just because of the prior m/c but also because I'm over 30. They do not have a machine in his office though, I need to go to the local hospital.

Kitty

#22 of 47 Old 06-03-2004, 11:28 AM

Shannon,
It isn't weird, people just ask a lot. A few reasons, I guess. My mom and I both feel like she may not be able to handle things medically/objectively when she is so personally invested in the outcome, especially if something went wrong. She and my dad have pretty much decided not to provide medical care to family members, at least not primary medical care. Also, the OB that is her backup is a real bitch, and likes to induce people and section them so she can go on vacation, things like that. It is the only job in the city that my mom could find. Most OB's in this town are not willing to have a midwife on staff. And she also practices a good 50 minute drive from where I live, so that makes getting to her office and the hospital where she delivers a real pain. i don't even know if my insurance would cover her.

On the bright side, she hand-picked my OB as one of the "good ones." He actually is her OB as well, and performed a hysterectomy on her when she had terrible fibroids a few years ago that were giving her a lot of pain.
#23 of 47 Old 06-03-2004, 05:49 PM

My initial visit with the nurse to get my history is June 14th, and my first dr.'s visit is June 29th.
Question to all.....if you really liked a particular hospital, would you try to find a doctor who went there, or does that seem weird? There's a doctor I like, but she's in a practice with like 6 other doctors, so she might not even deliver me, and she doesn't go to the hospital I like. I'm sure there are other doctors I could find who go there (and who I like)....
well, take care, all
#24 of 47 Old 06-03-2004, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I guess Im in the minority but Im not gonna see a doctor for awhile. I have my prenatal vitamins and Im not interested in having an ultrasound or for an internal exam so I can't see any reason for going to an appt at this point except to get a pregnancy confirmation and weight check or something. I am quietly researching obs in the area that are supportive of Vbacs and of me letting ds nurse. I am not going to wean him forceably during this pregnancy.If he weans on his own accord, thats something else.

Good luck to you all on your appts. Hope everything works out well!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#25 of 47 Old 06-07-2004, 02:05 PM

My first appointment is on June 21st but it is only with the nurse. I am due Feb. 7th but will most likely deliver in January since I will have another scheduled c-birth. I am a little nervous about what my OB will say about my nursing my ds. I don't want to wean yet but it is a bit painful. UG! Not sure what to do.
#26 of 47 Old 06-07-2004, 04:09 PM

I haven't even called yet. Since I just found out Friday, I want to wait until after Wednesday to see if I'm going to lose this baby too (I lost a baby in January five days after I found out I was pregnant. I got lots of comforting things said like "think of it this way, if you didn't NFP chart, you would have just thought it was a late period." Thanks!) Also, we are moving from MN to IA in three weeks, so I'm not sure the point of being seen here. I do like the NP I saw for my last pregnancy, but I would only see her once. Unless dh objects, I'm probably going with parker's mommy and just wait. I already follow an extensive and carefully research vitamin regimen so I am not worried on that front--plus prescription prenatal's have almost nothing you need! I was appalled when I saw what was(n't) in them. They're only prescription because they have 1mg of folic acid. I do want to go on a good prenatal though, so I don't have to take so many individual pills. What are people taking?

Marjorie
wife to my best friend, Stephen, mother to Alec 5/02, Ian 2/05 and Kathryn 9/09
#27 of 47 Old 06-07-2004, 04:54 PM

So I went for my first appointment today. I'm a little nervous! I got inconsistent results with my hpts last week, one positive and one negative the next day.The second one I took was a different brand and it was also not an early pregnancy test. When I was pregnant with ds I realized I was pregnant at about 5 weeks and only got a VERY faint line. But pregnancy symptoms are increasing: my bladder always feels full, breasts are becoming more tender, horrible heart burn, slight headaches, bloated, pressure in the pelvic area, tiredness, dizzy spells, etc. But since I got that negative there's been a constant debate in my head. The midwife checked for heatbeat and she couldn't find it so I'd be under 10 weeks, and after she felt my uterus she said under 8 weeks. Not having had a period since may 2002 I haven't much to go by as far as missing a period..so the hCG levels will help with that. It's not helping that my dh thinks I'm not pregnant. I'm feeling very emotional right now. They will call with my hCG levels, in the next day or two! If it turns out I am not preg I will feel so strange about that, because I totally feel pregnant. Has anyone ever had this happen....inconsistant hpts, etc....

..anxiously awaiting.....I hope they call tomorrow!

#28 of 47 Old 06-07-2004, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm going in on June 10th. I had a prescheduled appointment with my midwife for a well women check so we just switched it to my first appointment. I had thought about not going in for a while but I really love my midwife. Every time I see her I feel good.
My midwife has her own private practice and doesn't routinly do ultrasounds. I had thought about doing one around 20 weeks but I really didn't like having them done with my son. I think this is because they were always so stressful. (After I took the triple marker and had an ultrasound they thought Noah had Down's Syndrome, I went on to have an amnio-and 6 long weeks later we found out he did not) So I'm still feeling my way through the ultrasound decesion.
I can't wait to hear about everyone's appointments.
Jenn
#29 of 47 Old 06-07-2004, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Worldshakerz- Sending you lots of baby thoughts. x
#30 of 47 Old 06-07-2004, 11:26 PM

Worldshakerz--my heart goes out to you! Go with the symptoms unless you hear otherwise! My dh refuses to get excited about our baby until he is sure we won't lose it, so I understand how hard it is to be excited when your spouse isn't!

Marjorie
wife to my best friend, Stephen, mother to Alec 5/02, Ian 2/05 and Kathryn 9/09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page