Prenatals? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-06-2004, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this question in a different thread but haven't got an answer so I'll try here. Are prenatals necessary? I've been taking my Rainbow Light multivitamin; it has 100% folic acid and a ton of B12 (I'm vegan), which are the ones I was concerned about. I couldn't find the Rainbow Light prenatals at Whole Foods so I'm wondering if I can just keep taking my regular multivitamin. What do you guys think? I don't have a midwife to ask yet, we're still interviewing. At this point I think whatever vitamins I can take and doesn't make me sick (yet!) have got to be good. I do eat a healthy diet, so I'm fairly confident that I'm getting a decent array of vitamins and minerals through my diet, so I'm not really relying on the vitamin to provide me with what I need. Does that make sense? What are you taking?

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#2 of 7 Old 06-06-2004, 07:06 PM

I'm now taking a prescription one called Preg-Vit. Before that I was taking Swiss Naturals Maternity One (which I think is only available in Cananda)
My understanding is that folic acid is most important--the one thing is that the daily requirment is higher in pregnancy than just in child bearing years, but as long as it's a gram or more you're fine. Otherwise if you're still able to keep down food, you're likley fine on what you're on.
#3 of 7 Old 06-07-2004, 12:58 PM

I could not take them with #1 and am not taking them this time. I just take 2 folic acids a day and 2 B6 and try to eat right. My doctor said that was ok since the vitamins made me soooooooooooo sick!

Good luck!
#4 of 7 Old 06-07-2004, 03:23 PM

I just asked about this myself in the symtom thread. I am thinking about ordering Professional Prenatal Formula by Lifetime as suggested in "Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition" by Marilyn Shannon. Has anybody heard anything about this one? She has great stuff to say about taking vitamins to regulate your cycle which really work! I gotta say, B6 is magical stuff. (I forgot to take it for a few days last cycle and my cycle immediately got all wacked out. Three days back on the B6 and everything was normal again!) I have upped my intake since I got the from 100mg to 200mg in the hopes of staying morning sickness. Which is hint to all of you: taking 300mg B6 daily in 50mg increments-at least one hour between pills (your liver can't process anymore than this at a time, so anything over 50mg just gets flushed according to "The Encylopedia of Natural Medicine") is suppose to prevent/cure morning sickness.

Marjorie
wife to my best friend, Stephen, mother to Alec 5/02, Ian 2/05 and Kathryn 9/09
#5 of 7 Old 06-07-2004, 08:59 PM

WOW Marjorie. I was only taking 100mg of B6. I guess I should take more. I am feeling fine but it hit me last time at 8 weeks and I am at week 6 now. I really don't want to get sick again. Any other advice from that book?
#6 of 7 Old 06-07-2004, 10:47 PM

Suz,

Ginger was the other major suggestion to help morning sickness. If you don't like ginger tea or just eating ginger, try ginger beer or ginger cookies (the kind at the health food store, not Pepperridge Farms). Real ginger cookies should have a sufficent quantity to do the trick. Both books emphasize eating well. Marilyn Shannon actually says that eating poorly can cause morning sickness which then starts a vicious cycle-you eat bad, you get sick, because your sick, you don't eat, which makes you even more sick! You should check if your library has either book they are both awesome!

Marjorie
wife to my best friend, Stephen, mother to Alec 5/02, Ian 2/05 and Kathryn 9/09
#7 of 7 Old 06-10-2004, 01:20 PM

I'm taking the Rainbow Lite Prenatal 1. Next time I am at Whole Foods I will do a comparison between the Prenatal and the regular multivit. The prenatal has ginger and red raspberry leaf, but other than that I am guessing it is not much difference.

I took 2 chewable children's vitamins per day when I was pregnant with dd, because I just couldn't deal with the regular prenatals. My mw said that was fine.

Trying to get my bearings...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page