June 28 - July 5 Feb Mamas - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 166 Old 06-30-2004, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Christi I think the scariest time in pregnancy is before you can feel kicking. Whenever symptoms change, it's so easy to freak out. Hang in there, and I hope everything's fine.

Heve - That's called a bipole I think. A yolk sac and a bipole - how cool! And a heartbeat! Now you can join me in the "working on being relieved and happy and refusing to stress ANY MORE about this pregnancy" camp.
#62 of 166 Old 06-30-2004, 04:21 PM

Christi

I got my betas back!They tripled.The first time they quadrupled and this time tripled.I am so relieved and feeling much more at ease.Now just to see that heartbeat!
#63 of 166 Old 06-30-2004, 05:07 PM

Oh sure, now you've done it, Shannnon! I had to run out to get popsicles this afternoon!
#64 of 166 Old 06-30-2004, 05:09 PM

And Christi - have you requested betas or an u/s? Hope you're feeling better about it...

Congrats, Ravenmoon, on the great results! you can join the "working on being relieved and happy and refusing to stress ANY MORE about this pregnancy" camp! (to quote Peri!)!!
#65 of 166 Old 06-30-2004, 05:16 PM

Hey ladies! I'm so happy to hear that all of you are getting positive u/s and beta results back. Yay!! I actually had a really great prenatal clinic visit this morning...

I went in for my first nurse visit to give my medical history and let them tell me to stop smoking crack and to take folic acid. I had previously scheduled an appointment with an OB because the two new midwives on staff had not yet started taking appointments. My nurse visit went MUCH better than I had been expecting; she was very nice, and I definitely got the feeling that the staff/hospital is very natural-birth oriented, pro-breastfeeding, etc. That really put me at ease. I asked her if the birthing center has laboring pools or has done water birth, but she said, "no...we don't have a pool, but I know that you can rent them and have one brought in. You should mention it to your midwife; they would *love* to do a water birth here." I explained that I only had an appointment with an OB, and she said to go back to the receptionist and see if I could make an additional appointment to meet one of the midwives. I did, and she said, "sure, I'll page one of them" and I did in fact get to meet with one (without an appointment!) right after my nurses visit!

Y'all, she was so cool! I told her about my concerns with delivering the baby in a military hospital (DH is in the Navy, but we're stationed at an air force base, which is much more human than a Navy base). Anyway, she's a civilian, and she said it was odd for her to be working in an environment where everyone calls her ma'am. We talked for almost 30 minutes and I shared with her my feelings about breastfeeding, intervention, inducing labor, c-sections, monitoring, etc., and she was on-board with everything I said, and she seemed just as excited to have me as a patient as I am to have her as a midwife! We also talked about the water birth option, and she said that she has worked at another local hospital where they do about 5 water births per week, and she is all in favor of them. She said we may have to persuade some majors or captains or something, but that we have 8 months to do it, and that all progress is consumer-driven, so I need to be vocal about my desires (which is not a problem for me). I felt totally confident that she would push as hard as possible for me and for what DH and I want. It was great.

I left feeling about 200% better than when I walked in. I just had no idea of what kind of care I'd be getting since my choice of doctors was so limited, but I feel completely comfortable with Joanne, and now I am feeling *excited* about the whole pregnancy and birth process.

Oh, and when she said, "this is your first child? How do you know so much about the details?" I got to say, "have you heard of Mothering magazine?" She said, "of course, I love that magazine!" So we felt like co-conspirators against the big medical monolith of the US. She also gave me *her* reading list, which included several books I already have, such as WAB, a couple of Dr. Sears books, etc. and she said, "I hope you're not reading WTEWYE." I got to tell her no, I had it, but I traded it in for something else. (Thanks to Stell and the other ladies over on the what are you reading thread!)

So I'm just really happy, relieved, and excited. I can't wait until my first appointment with Joanne on the 27th so that DH can meet her, and we get to hear the heartbeat!

Sorry this is so long, but I just had to share all of the good vibes with everyone.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#66 of 166 Old 06-30-2004, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

I'm spotting. This hasn't happened to me before. When I miscarried before it was very early on and it was alot of blood. Should I call the midwife? I'm very freaked out.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#67 of 166 Old 06-30-2004, 06:11 PM

ekblad!!!!! call your midwife! it may turn out to be nothing, but i always err on the side of caution i hope everything is okay!!

i'm glad to hear the good reports today. I have one too! saw the heartbeat at the u/s. she set the dd at 2/16 which is one day before i thought. anyhoo, i think i'll use mendhi's approach and just say mid-february! now i can relax for a couple of hours LOL!
#68 of 166 Old 06-30-2004, 06:46 PM

Glad to hear all the good news! Ekblad, 's I hope everything is alright!

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#69 of 166 Old 06-30-2004, 09:03 PM

Wow, I finally got on and read the thread. There's no way I can catch up with each of you, but I'm so glad to hear the good news and I'm praying for those of you waiting for good news.

I had my first real prenatal appt yesterday at about 8 weeks. It was so fun! Well all the paperwork stuff wasn't, but I got to hear the heartbeat! It was like 170 What a beautiful sound. I didn't get to hear it at my u/s b/c the tech didn't turn the volume on.

I've thrown up 3 times now... ugh. Before I was just nauseous and even thought I wish I WOULD throw up to feel better, but I have to say it does NOT make me feel better. In fact, it pretty much puts me out of commission for the day. It's ok, I'm thankful. Sunday and Monday I felt GREAT all day and that was a little freaky. Nice to hear the heartbeat on Tuesday for reassurance.

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#70 of 166 Old 06-30-2004, 09:45 PM

Ekblad do call your midwife or go to the Er for an emergency U/S if you need some reassurance.I hope everything is allright
#71 of 166 Old 06-30-2004, 09:50 PM

Ekblad

#72 of 166 Old 06-30-2004, 10:17 PM

Ekblad, are you cramping as well as spotting?
I'd call your midwife, but try to relax a little and know that spotting is normal in about 50% of pregnancies.

Please let us know when you know anything.
#73 of 166 Old 07-01-2004, 09:17 AM

I'm off to the in-laws for the holiday weekend. I hope y'all have a good one!

Ekblad, I hope you are doing OK.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#74 of 166 Old 07-01-2004, 09:23 AM

Ekblad, hope you're doing alright. How are things?
I'm in rough shape. The arthritis in my hip started acting up badly, I can't have it injected (which works instantly to settle it) because they need to inject it by x-ray. I tried taking my demoral but it just comes back up as soon as I swallow it. So I can't keep any liquid down, I'm horribly bored of popsicles, I'm beyond starving and I can't sleep because if I move my leg at all I wake up with pain shooting down my leg and through my pelvis. About 3:00am I was crying and puking and just generally pathetic.
#75 of 166 Old 07-01-2004, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I called the midwife last night. She considers it a "threatened miscarriage" and gave me some tinctures to take. I really want an ultra sound. I think I'm going to call my family practice dr. today and see if he can get me in. I'm on bedrest, which really sucks but will obviously be worth it if the baby is OK. I'm feeling less and less "pregnant" though. The m/s isn't really there today but that could be because I've had so much rest. I'm not really spotting today. Mostly it's blood when I wipe in a mucousy form. Sorry for TMI I'm just so freaked out.

Thanks for listening and to all.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#76 of 166 Old 07-01-2004, 10:52 AM

Oh ekblad - my thoughts are with you. Take care of yourself, and let someone take care of you and your little ones.

Shannon - s for you, too. Man, to be able to sleep solidly for the next several weeks...I hope this passes soon, and you can start enjoying your pregnancy. Perhaps you need to relocate to a drier clime for a while?!
#77 of 166 Old 07-01-2004, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ekblad!! I hope all is well with you. Take it easy and keep us posted!

Shannon! Hope you get feeling better soon. That sounds terrible!!

Hope everyone else is doing okay! I am just catching up before I start packing again!! I threw up for the first time yesterday and I must say it was NOT pleasant!! I thought it would make me feel better but.... blaahhhh!!
Anyway, have a nice day everyone!!

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
#78 of 166 Old 07-01-2004, 11:02 AM

Sending you lots of sticky dust Ekblad

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#79 of 166 Old 07-01-2004, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going nuts waiting to hear back from the dr. I want an ultrasound so bad. I'm afraid to get my hopes up but don't want to give up altogether either. Does that make sense? I feel so completely confused. I will accept whatever the outcome is but I would like to KNOW what it is, at least for today. Thanks for all of the well wishes.

#80 of 166 Old 07-01-2004, 11:17 AM

ekblad and shannon :
#81 of 166 Old 07-01-2004, 11:29 AM

Ekblad. I hope you are getting plenty of rest. Did your mw mention taking extra Vitamin E? Is Susan Weed's Herbal for the Childbearing Year, she suggests taking up to 2000 IU per day for a threatened m/c. I did not take that much, but when I was spotting last week I took 800-1200 IU per day in addition to what is in my prenatal. I stopped spotting within a day of starting this. It could be a coincidence, but I don't think it could hurt. I am still taking 400 IU per day now. I also know what you mean about not wanting to get hopes up while not wanting to give up. For several days I managed to really let go of all expectations, and it was so liberating. I am now back to feeling hopeful, which scares the $hit out of me, because I don't want to be let down. It's a tough place to be. I hope you doc gets back to you soon.

I am totally wiped out. I am really tired. M/s is still mild, though it is more noticeable now which is reassuring. My u/s is tomorrow, and dh comes home from his trip tonight!

Kitty and Shannon: Hang in there! Can you get an injection of demerol for your hip? You need to sleep!

Lianne, Hev and Denise: Yay for the little beating hearts!!

Amy: That mw sounds awesome! It must feel great to have an ally in such a faceless monolithic system. It sounds like you will get the birth you want!

Raven: Excellent betas!

Periwinkle: Thanks for the mantra reminder. I can always use it!

So please send lots of positive vibes for the u/s tomorrow. I am terrified. It is the same place I went in Feb. and I keep having flashbacks to staring at that tiny, still image on the screen. At least I won't be alone this time (dh coming). I just reread that, and I'm sorry it's such a downer, but I just had to express this dark feeling to someone. With dh out of town I haven't been able to express my fears to anyone. Anyway, 24 hours from now I should know.

to you all!

Trying to get my bearings...
#82 of 166 Old 07-01-2004, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

I'm starting the vit. E today and I have been doing some tinctures that the mw recommended as well. I'm so upset. Crying with worry now. How could I have ever gone through 5 pregnancies and not truly know how lucky I was to have little to no complications? I keep staring at the tiny baby stuff left out from when ds3 was a baby. I know it's making it worse and I should stop.

Good vibes for the u/s tomorrow Ellie's Mom (btw, Ellie is my niece's name and I love it!

#83 of 166 Old 07-01-2004, 12:55 PM

Ekblad, hope everything is going to be okay with you, I will keep you in my thoughts. Please let us know if you get in for an u/s.

Shannon, I'm so sorry about the arthrititis and m/s combo, it truly sounds miserable. Can you take some demerol for the pain? Is there anything besides popsicles you can keep down? I hope it gets better, I really do.

Ellie's mom, I'm sending you good u/s vibes for tomorrow.

I'm feeling kinda sickish today, so I'm going to go try and sip some mint tea now.
#84 of 166 Old 07-01-2004, 01:03 PM

Unfortunately I can take the demoral, I just can't keep it down long enough to get any effect from it.

Ekblad, any news yet??
#85 of 166 Old 07-01-2004, 01:11 PM

happy, joyful u/s vibes for Jenny!

vibes for Ekblad - hope the rest, tinctures and vit E help!
#86 of 166 Old 07-01-2004, 01:59 PM

Oh Ekblad,i so know that feeling.I have had three kids with no problem and then this year i kept having miscarriages.I felt betrayed.Something has to be wrong with my body,right?What if i can't have anymore kids!This month i was prepared.I took Wild Yam capsules and False Unicorn with Cramp bark for my whole 2ww and the first week after i knew i was pregnant.I got my betas every few days and so far so good.I figured wherever i was deficient i would make up for it by taking all of these supplements.

I so hope your U/S turns out well.

Today i sent my lil girl off on a plane for MI.
She went with her dad to visit some grandparents and it is always hard to let go like that.She's only 6 now so i am going to really be sad when she is 18!

In for more betas today.I hope they keep going up.
#87 of 166 Old 07-01-2004, 02:00 PM

Oh and Shannon,i feel for you girl.Do you ever take homeopathic arnica?Let me see what else i can find for arthritis.
#88 of 166 Old 07-01-2004, 02:04 PM

I have taken it, it doesn't do a whole lot for rhuematoid, but it does help with the osteo in my knees.
#89 of 166 Old 07-01-2004, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I've been continueing with the herbs/vitamins and have an u/s scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. My family dr. is calling in progestrine (sp?) for me. Is this a good thing? I need to research it, I guess. Will it make me sick. Not that I care if it saves the baby I just want to know. I'm still freaking out.

#90 of 166 Old 07-01-2004, 02:38 PM

No it is a good thing.But they shouldn't give it to you until they see what is going on and they should check your levels.From what i have heard Dr's routinely prescribe it now without checking.It may make you nauseous but nothing you aren't use to.Continue with your herbs also.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page