June 28 - July 5 Feb Mamas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2004, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, I did it :LOL

I had rice and steamed veggies for lunch. You can't get much blander than that and I still feel kind of :Puke Argh!

Kater07 February
Chiku due Feb 1 birthing center
Parker'smommy (Heather) due Feb 1
Lisashepp (Lisa) due Feb 1
Dandylion (Stephanie) due Feb 2
Truvie due Feb 2
PeacefulVegan (who also answers to Tracie) due Feb 3
Lou due Feb 3
Kelly 1216 (Kelly) due Feb 3
Twin Mom (Deb) Due Feb 4, VBA2C homebirth
Free Thinker (Mandy) due Feb 5
HelloKitty (Kitty) due Feb 6
Letabug (Arleta) due Feb 6
LianneM due Feb 7 homebirth
TexasSuz (Susan) due Feb 7
Happymamajenni (Jenni) due Feb 7 hospital/OBGYN
LesleyLuu (Lesley) due Feb 7
DeirdreAlison (Deirdre) due 1st week Feb homebirth, maybe waterbirth
New Life Due Feb 8
Shannon 0218- due Feb 11 hospital birth with great OB
Tug due Feb 12
Firefly due Feb 13
Christi due Feb 14 hospital birth with fab OB
Periwinkle (Karen) due Feb 14
Fairymomma (Pamela) due Feb 14
Jorie (Margorie) due Feb 14
Ellie's Mom (Jenny) due Feb 14 homebirth
AmBam (Amber) due Feb 14 homebirth
Wtchyhlr (Joy) due Feb 14
Seren (Serenity) due Feb 16 birthing center/waterbirth
rose angel (Karen) due Feb 16
mama2m&m (Denise) due Feb 17
Karennnnn (Karen) due Feb 17
Coopsmama (Kristen) Due Feb 17
weesej (Jen) Due Feb 19 homebirth
mehndimama (Stell) due Feb 22 unassisted homebirth
*Amy* (Amy) due Feb 20 birthing center/possible water birth...?
heveasoul due Feb 24
Ekblad7 due Feb 28

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2004, 02:35 PM

My nausea is only in waves.With my last kid my morning sickness only lasted a week so i am hoping this one is similar.I do have trouble with smells of food making me feel sick.Yesterday on the radio they were doing a commercial for a McDonald's hamburger and it made me very ill.Then later i smelled some Barbecue coming out of a restaurant and i was salivating.

My appt is today to find out my next beta numbers and get all of my blood taken.The only thing is is that i am going to switch my OB's to be at a closer hospital as back up and i don't want to go to todays appt.But it is the only way i can get my beta's.Hopefully i will meet with some midwives this next week.My insurance doesn't cover them so it will be out of pocket.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:08 PM

ms is really acting up for me today. I'm thinking there's a correlation to being tired. I woke up to go pee at 2 this morning, and could not get comfortable enough to get back to sleep.

So, this hip pain. HM. Does the below sound like ligament stretchy type pain?
If i'm laying on my back, and roll to my side (either one), if i'm not thinking and don't move knees first, but expect my abs to do the work, i get a deep, sharp pain to the opposite side that i'm rolling. It goes away pretty quick, but its sharp enough to take my breath way.

Am i normal or a freak?
Old 06-28-2004, 03:22 PM

Joy: You're not a freak (well not based on this anyway ). I've had exacly that pain. It is definitely ligaments.

Ekblad: Thanks for starting the thread! Could you cut and paste the list of mamas and due dates, and add it to your first post? It is a helpful reference. Thanks!

Trying to get my bearings...
Old 06-28-2004, 03:42 PM

Thanks Jenny. Its a bit disconcerting when you're not expecting it.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:44 PM

Joy, I had the same exact thing. It kind of freaked me out, but I read in some book (don't remember which one) that it happens especially often when you are standing up from sitting down, or rolling over.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Old 06-28-2004, 05:16 PM

I feel poopy. And I'm supposed to be unpacking, but I don't wanna
I'd rather lay around in bed & whine all day.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

I my midwives! They are awesome! Even had dh all excited about the homebirth. I'm so happy. Still exhausted and that definately relates to how pukey I feel. I have to work tonight. Argh. The house is staying messy!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 06-28-2004, 05:31 PM

LOL, Stell!

OK y'all, I need some feedback here. DH and I will be going to visit his father, step-mother, and two young sisters (age 5 and 7) for the holiday weekend. DH has already told me that he knows his dad is very much against co-sleeping, and has made negative remarks about DH's aunt/uncle & cousins who co-slept. I am relatively sure this issue will come up this weekend, and I rather rabid about defending myself and my well-educated parenting decisions. I think it will also be much more of a hot topic considering that FIL has the two young girls himself.

Honestly, I lack tact when it comes to these types of things. My stance is, this is our child and we'll raise him/her the way we feel is best. You raise your kids the way you want. Period.

Being a first-time Mama, though, I know they (parents-in-law, grandparents) will all want to offer their 2 cents (even strangers are giving such golden nuggets of advice such as "don't pick up the baby whenever it cries" because they see me reading a pregnancy book in the waiting room of my DH's doctor's office, for f**k's sake), and I am trying to figure out how to be gracious, yet confidently be able to assert our beliefs. Well, I guess I should say one thing in our favor will be that the co-sleeping aunt in question will be there as well so I'm hoping that I won't feel quite so attacked.

I guess I just get easily offended by people not thinking I know what I'm doing, when the fact is that I have put A LOT of thought, energy, and love into the decisions that DH and I have made so far. Also, to be honest, I kind of have the personality type where I get annoyed when people try to tell me how to do something that I feel perfectly confident about myself.

Oh, and one minor fact of note...DH is 3 1/2 years younger, and his parents had him when they were young, which means that his parents are more like older brother/sister age to me than mother/father age, so I have a VERY hard time accepting their attempts to "parent" me. Oh, and I'm pregnant, so I'm irritable and easily offended.

I'm sure that some of y'all have had to handle this type of thing before. What is the best approach to take?

Old 06-28-2004, 06:51 PM

Oh Amy, I hear you...

I know it will be a learning experience, and that we will have to be prepared to be flexible, but we too have put a lot of thought into the many choices. (and I emphasize the word CHOICES...ugh - people who just do what marketers and doctors tell them is best...a whole 'nother thread...)

Unsolicited advice has GOT to be one of my biggest fears going into this...yesterday, dh mentioned that when he was talking to these two guys, one asked, "So, are you getting the baby's room ready, have you chosen your colours", dh replied that no, we were going to be in the same room...And of course, then the "blah blah blah - ok, for the first few months in a bassinette, but not IN the bed?! what we did was..., aren't you afraid of crushing it, etc..."

Anyway, it rolled like water on a duck's back, dh said - he told me when it happens, to let them go on, to remember that these people just want to hear themselves talk. I will try and remember that next time someone tries to tell me that they know better...
Old 06-28-2004, 08:26 PM

It's tuff Amy, like you, if I begin to defend myself I go all the way--do his parents HAVE to know you plan to co-sleep?? Why not say you haven't decided yet--I guess my thing is that my family will never know as they are not going to be in my house when we are all sleeping. I plan to have a room for the babe with toys and change table etc in it (our bedroom is way too small to keep any more stuff in it--even more clothes) so if they want to see the baby's room, there will be one there--of course, our cat will likely be sleeping in it, but what the heck!!

Had my U/S and I can honestly say I've never been so thrilled as I am right now. We saw a heartbeat and baby is measuring dead on 7 weeks, 4 days (which is exactly how long ago we did the first insemination) I could even see the little one moving around, so cool, so cool.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:29 PM

They had their chance to do it their way with their babies, and now it's your turn, and it's not up for discussion. You'll be happy to provide them with concrete evidence that co-sleeping is not more dangerous than crib-sleeping, and that co-sleepers do not grow up warped.

How's that?

Still oozing around like a slug here.....DH is bringing Subway home for dinner.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:30 PM

with my ds we did all the "normal" and "expected" stuff and were patted on the back, etc. then i discovered what's really important and matters in raising children and suddenly we were being questioned on everything we did and i was constantly defending my choices.

in the end i think what someone else said is that they like to hear themselves talk. plus i think the generations before us want to be validated for the way they parented as if since we do it differently that makes their way wrong. which may or may not be the case.

i started just nodding my head and saying something banal such as "oh okay" or "things have changed so much" or even "well, my doctor said to do it this way." okay so the last one was a cop out but it did the trick when needed LOL!

you know that however you parent is because that's what you feel is best and while it's nice to educate and inform people it's okay to let people talk because they want to talk, without agreeing with them or feeling the need to defend yourself.

yeah once you get pg and then actually ahve the baby, people come out with all sorts of "advice" sometimes it's really funny LOL.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:31 PM

oh shannon that's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grow baby grow!!!
Old 06-28-2004, 09:26 PM

Yay Shannon! What wonderful news!
Old 06-28-2004, 10:41 PM

OMG Shannon hurrah! YOu took my breath away with the "baby is measuring dead" but then I kept reading. YAY!

I'm coming out of self-imposed hiding-slash-self-protectiveness-about-how-EARLY-this-is to say, I am 7 completed weeks today. My first sonogram and OB appointment is tomorrow. It's pretty soon for a sono but I need to know if it's twins again. Supposedly there's a 1 in 15 chance when you've already conceived fraternal twins. I am admitting to myself that I really, really, really do NOT want twins again but that dh and I will handle whatever G*d throws our way, no doubt. (Singleton vibes welcome, nonetheless ) And now in honor of my first impending sonogram, my heart is in my throat and I am freaking, worrying that there won't be a heartbeat. I mean, there SHOULD be a heartbeat now right?? Everything I read says it's there by 6 weeks (completed) and visible then or very soon thereafter. I am 100% positive of my O date, so I'll definitely be 7+1 weeks tomorrow. Anyway, strong heartbeat vibes welcome.

Some catching up to do...

Ravenmoon - Good luck on those beta #s!
wtchyhlr - This is me to a T. I flip over suddenly in the middle of the night and am just shot with pain for a moment. I remember this from last time.
Jenny - I've been touching base here and there over past 2 weeks and am so relieved to hear everything looks OK. Still for you and your babe - when will you know "for sure" that all is good?
mehndi mama - Sorry you're feeling like a slug. I feel like one myself. mmmm.... Subway...
Ekblad - Hurray about a (dh-supported no less) homebirth with caring midwives. Sounds wonderful!
Heve - Things sound really good. Pregnancy symptoms are so welcome when you've been worried about how things are going!
Amy - I think the higher road is not to defend yourself at all. Whenever I get in these kind of conversations with my parents, I just try to nicely say something like "I respect that you have a different opinion/approach/way of doing things and that that's worked for you. [Whether or not this is complete horsedoodoo LOL] But this is how we're going to do it, and I'm not really interested in feedback on this one. Let's move on."

Everyone else I'm too tired to mention (for tonight!) - :
Old 06-28-2004, 10:45 PM

Yay Shannon! What awesome news. I'm so happy for you!

My appointment also went well. The doctor did a culture for herpes (see my other thread) which hurt like the dickens, but also told me he hasn't done a c-section for herpes in something like 15 years (since Acyclovir became available). He had a hard time getting a good picture of the babe, and much like my mom's office, it was measuring a little small (about 7w1d). If you would like to take a look at my chart, it is still in my sig. Do you think I O'ed on CD 15, 16, or 17? Or some other day, I guess? Anyway, he said my due date was somewhere between 2/7-2/15, so I will find out when the baby comes! I'll be having the nuchal translucency test in a few weeks.

I knew my day would suck, and it did. One of the kids in my class threw up about 4 times before she managed to get out the door. We had to throw away her $90 brand new textbook, and I had to take my class into one of the kindergarten rooms for about 2 hours until my room was "safe" again. The kids, were of course, totally wild. Ugh. On the plus side, i ordered Chinese food, delivered, and it just got here!

Stretching/mild cramping/round ligament pains are normal, if sucky.

Amy, sorry about the unasked for advice. I try to stay off these topics with anyone who is going to give me grief. I try to say, "We'll just have to agree to disagree" or "I really feel very strongly about this issue, so why don't we talk about something else?" That way I'm being both honest and polite. It does suck sometimes though. How about this one? "Are you going to nurse her while you're pregant? You will rob the fetus of nutrients!" ARGH!!
Old 06-28-2004, 11:04 PM

Lesley, I'd say CD16 just like FF. I've read that OPKs can still read + AFTER you've O'd if you have a really high LH surge or a prolonged LH surge. That temp spike is pretty clear though and correlates with HSO cervix too.

for your crappy day. The Acyclovir also sounds really promising - can they give it to the baby after delivery too or do they not do that? What is a nuchal translucency test? Are you at risk for having a baby with Down's? I'm so sorry you've had such a rotten day and also found out about Herpes basically at the same time.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:38 PM

Thanks periwinkle,

FF says CD 15, but that's why I asked (the CM, and + OPK's)

About Acyclovir for the baby, I don't know if they do that unless they feel that the baby was exposed (which if I don't have an active lesion is minimal risk).

I'm not (that I know of) at risk for having a baby with Down's, but the nucahl transparency is a non-invasive (ultrasound) test done at around 10 or 11 weeks that helps determine your risk of Downs and some other chromosomal abnormalities. Since it is done so early, if for whatever reason the parents decide to persue further testing (amnio or CVS) then the pregnancy can be terminated more easily. Not to offend anyone by talking about pregnancy termination, but there are certain abnormalities that infants cannot live with, and I would probably terminate rather than have to see my baby suffer and pass away.

Okay, that was a huge super downer! I'm not really worried that anything is wrong, especially after seeing that heartbeat today!

I have to go help dh with dd, they both have colds, and dh is pretty miserable. We're all tired, and looking forward to my break in just 1.5 days!!!
Old 06-28-2004, 11:57 PM

SHannon, that's great about the u/s!

I haven't been on the comp much the last few days, just too tired to do much of anything. I posted last week about my loss of libido, well I found it. And it's back with a vengence. Anyone else cry after GIO? I never did with dd, a few times with ds, and this time I have every single time. It's not a bad cry. I don't really know how to explain it. Just almost immediatly after we are done I start crying. Luckily dh says he takes it as a compliment and doesn't get upset. Am I a freak?

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
Old 06-29-2004, 12:02 AM

Lesley, that's great about the low chance of c-section for you!!! As for when you O'd, I'd also go with the temp spike--you weren't sick or anything then were you??
Seren, I have cried a couple times, I'm trying to hide it from Steve as he's so worried he's hurt me, so I just shimmy off to the bathroom.
So far I've kept down some kraft dinner tonight and at least one glass of juice (I never drink juice but I figured it was better than nothing)
Old 06-29-2004, 12:05 AM

Evening Ladies

Shannon, that is such good news to hear. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your honeymoon and then come back to this wonderful news!

Amy, The other day my mom asked me where we were going to put the baby. I said that we are going to get a bigger bed. We all sleep in a queen now. She didn't even argue. I guess she finally sees how easy and healthy ds is. When ds sleeps at her house he sleeps alone and is fine with that.

Today I actually had energy. I didn't get anything accomplished in my house. ds and I played outside all day. We have been having such unusual weather for the last week. It was only 70 today. I feel guilty because I haven't had the energy to take ds out. So today we had fun at the park.

I haven't felt any ligament pain for the last week or so. It is kind of strange not to have it. I definately had it a lot both times I was preg.

Twinmom, How far along were you when you found out that you were having twins? DId the doctors treat you different when you found out? I was thinking about that the other day when I was reading a story about doctors who didn't know that a woman was having twins and the babies were still healthy. My Grandma was surprised with twins and everything was fine. That was 61 years ago. Is it really necessary to be classified high risk if you are having twins? If you are not experiencing any diffuculties. I'm just wondering what you opinion is since you have experienced them.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:21 AM

Lesley: I'd say CD 15 if you are pretty confident about your CM consistency and cervical position. In fact, I've rarely seen such a pretty chart! You had all the signs and GIO'd at the perfect times!

Periwinkle: Thanks for the crossed fingers. I am still so freaked out about posting here, so I really understand why you've been lurking. I have an u/s on Friday. I should be 7w4days (or 6 days or 2 days, I'm a little confused about my o date), so I should be able to see a hb. Good luck with your u/s. Sending you lots of healthy singleton baby vibes!!

Shannon: WOOHOO!!! Yay squirmy baby!

Ekblad: I'm glad you have great midwives! I am playing phone tag right now with a local CNM who does homebirths. I can't wait to meet her.

Lesley: What a relief that the herpes sounds manageable. I'm sorry about the rough day. The kids were nuts our last week of school as well, but for me that just meant treating lots of injuries from fights and playground injuries. OT, but I would love to hear more about the school you are in. This was my first year working in a school. It is such a unique culture!

Amy: My FIL is the king of unsolicited advice. I want to second what others have said about just keeping it as a non-issue if possible, especially at this point. I should tell you that I had some passionate discussions with the ILs about co-sleeping before dd was born. Ultimately, co-sleeping did not work for us. Ellie is a really light sleeper (like her mama) and she sleeps better in her own space. I hated the satisfied look on FIL's face when he heard that we bought a crib. Argh. On the other hand, I never discussed EBF with FIL (though I know he thought it was wierd), but I just kept nursing her. When we saw the ILs at Christmas, FIL commented on how independent and adventurous dd is. He also saw her nurse a ton. I am hoping just seeing my terrific kid made the argument. If you need to, maybe just say something like, "Well, we'll do what works for our family." That's my fallback now.

Mehndi: Hope your sluggitude ends soon!

Raven: Sending good beta vibes!

Things were much better today. My mom is here now, and dd is sooo happy to have her GM to play with. It takes lots of pressure off, but I really miss dh!

Old 06-29-2004, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

OMG, go away for a few hours and there's like fifty posts to catch up on! :LOL I went out to Starbuck's after work so dh could put the kids to bed before I came home : Isn't that awful? I felt so crappy I just didn't want to deal with anything. I felt really crappy there but at least I could sit and sip water in peace. I miss coffee. I keep telling myself how worth it this all is and of course I know the end result is so worth it. I just hate this feeling of :Puke all the time.

Yeah for the heartbeats that were seen and heard today! That is so awesome! I really want to see my baby's heartbeat (or at least hear it) but there's a while to go until that. I'm 7 wks today, too. Only 5 more weeks of morning sickness! Then I can enjoy this pregnancy again!

Take care ladies!

Old 06-29-2004, 12:37 AM

OMG you chatty pattys! In the time it took me to write my post (I was talking to my mom too, so granted it was like 45 minutes.) there were 5 more posts!!

I'm going to curl up in bed and read my new Mothering mag. You all tire me out.

Old 06-29-2004, 01:10 AM

Yay Shannon!Congrats on hearing that lovely heartbeat.I can't wait to hear it.Two weeks for me.

My beta's were better then expected they went from 33 to 213 in two days.I'll know todays results on Wed.

Now i am feeling good about this one.Even better once i see the heartbeat!

Hi everyone~
Old 06-29-2004, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi ladies!!

Ive been mia for awhile because Ive just been too sick to even post. I wish I would just throw up and feel slightly better for awhile but alas, I just feel crappy. I feel like you do Amy- Lets get on with this sickness stuff and enjoy this pregnancy!!! I remember the 2nd trimester to be the best part of the pregnancy. We shall see if this holds true for this bean.

I'm glad to see so many mamas joining us here!! I am due Feb 1st so I joined up when it was just a few of us, left to lay on the couch for a few weeks and actually felt up to posting tonight and wow, we are full!!!!

I'm so happy and jealous to see so many homebirthing mamas here too! Wow, that is great!! Im attempting a vbac and havent been able to find a midwife to do it so now I am going to try the most awesome OB to help me with my birthing goals......

Also, congrats to all those seeing and hearing their babes....so awesome, especially those first time mamas hearing it for the first time....I remember it so well with ds!!!

have a great week ladies and hopefully we all start to feel better!!!!

and oh, is anyone already feeling too big to wear their clothes????I heard that you popped out faster with your second, but geez, Im only 8 weeks!!!!!!!! I REFUSE to wear maternity clothes this early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

Old 06-29-2004, 10:18 AM

Good morning all!

First, HOORAY to everyone who saw/heard heartbeats! I'm so happy for y'all! I can't wait til I get to that point in my own pregnancy. I have my first appointment tomorrow, but it is with the nurse just to gather my medical history so I don't think I will be able to hear anything. I may try to convince them to use the doppler, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

Thanks to everyone for your wise words regarding the nay-sayers and buttinksis! I think the "we'll do what's best for the family" is the best approach, with a few "I see your point"s added for good measure. This is only the second time I will have interacted with the in-laws, so perhaps it's a bit too early in the marriage and pregnancy to begin alienating them! LOL

I have been in the best mood the past couple of days,and it feels *really* good. DH and I went to see that documentary Supersize Me last night (excellent, by the way), and we were walking around the little town where the indie theater is afterwards, joking around like we usually do (before nausea and moodiness) and he said, "you sure are in a good mood tonight," and I said, "it won't last." But I woke up this morning again feeling really good, so I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts. My nausea has been minimal the past two days, too, and I even got a day's respite from the never-ending breast pain...so it's been a good 36 hours for me so far. I hope it continues at least through the day because I have to go back to the old apartment one final time to clean and get the rest of my clothes. Not looking forward to that, but at least it'll be OVER today.

On that note, I'd better get my butt up and moving.
Have a great day everyone!

Old 06-29-2004, 11:28 AM

I have a question - are you all actually believing the "adjusted due-dates" based on your ultrasounds? I don't want to step on anyones' toes, because I know that many of you need these sonograms right now for various reasons, but this whole trend of "I went in for my ultrasound today, and they moved my due-date up" really gets me steamed. A baby doesn't care what it's due-date is - it's gonna come out when it's fully cooked, no matter what the ultrasound says! And if the us is saying your're further along than your chart was saying, then you're dealing with a doctor who is more likely to say you're post-dates when the time comes, even when there's a possibility that you aren't. (Has anyone been reading the pre-40 week induction thread in Birth & Beyond?)

Anyway, just thought I'd ask. Something to think about, if anything.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

I'm didn't get an ultra sound or anything but I know my midwives just want to be safe regarding fluid etc. They said they have to do an ultra sound at 42 wks if I haven't delivered yet because of safety reasons. I guess a due date is important for that. Other than that I'm happy saying that I'm due anywhere from mid February to mid March. That gives me lots of time to relax and just enjoy.

How's everyone feeling today? I'm OK right now. Did a bit of cleaning this morning. I made my older kids clean the bathrooms and laundry room :LOL Then I was able to make some bread and give a couple of baths. The baby is sleeping now so I think I will sneak in a shower. I'll be feeling like :Puke in a few hours.

to everyone!

User Tag List