February mamas--week of Aug 15 - 21 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 105 Old 08-20-2004, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh Ekblad, that is heartbreaking! I will be thinking of that poor little girl and her parents.

Shannon, Any updates today?

Hevasoul, The FISH stands for fluorescent in situ hybridization, which basically means that they take some cells from the amniotic fluid and use fluorescent dyes to "light up" parts of the 13, 18, 21, and X and Y chromosomes. They can't tell if anything is wrong with any of the other chromosomes, or if there are bits that have been rearranged, but they can tell if there are 2 (normal) or three (trisomy). The most common chromosomal abnormalities are 13, 18, and 21 (Downs) and some sex-linked ones, so the FISH rules those out. I was told high risk for Down Syndrome, and that has been ruled out. They told me the full amnio was very unlikely to reveal any abnormalities not picked up by the FISH. HTH

Hello Kitty, Not buying pink any time soon. We have so much left over from our first (most of which was pink because other people bought it...). I will probably buy a pretty lavendar outfit, or a soft green as her "coming home" outfit. I'm also going to start getting together some cloth diapers!

Weesej, wow! Are you thinking twins? If I thought that, I would be getting an ultrasound so fast it would make your head spin, but that is mostly because I don't like surprises, and twins would not be a surprise that I would want to deal with during labor! When do you think you'll be able to find out with a manual exam?

Ella, YES! The world is a much happier place! Apart from the tension headache that I had all day yesterday, it was really one of the happiest days of my life! My dd is so excited to know that she's going to have a sister. We've already picked the name, so Melanie is calling her sister by name now. It is very cute. When Mel was born, she was early, so she didn't outgrow newborn clothes for several months. She was 10 pounds 8 oz at 2 months, and she seemed to pretty much follow the sizes on clothing all the way through. She still does, in that she can sometimes wear a 2T, but usually a 3T now as she is almost 3 (OMG, my baby is almost 3!). Some people suggest buying a coming home (if you birth outside the home) or a picture outfit in a preemie size in case your baby is small. I have friends that said even their almost 8 pound newborn was swimming in a newborn size for the first week or so.

Okay, I'm going to change my sig, and get ready for work. I'm on vacation for a month after today!!! Hooray!
#92 of 105 Old 08-20-2004, 10:35 AM

Okay, here it is, and now you can find out her name...
(don't worry if you hate it, my parents do too)
#93 of 105 Old 08-20-2004, 10:46 AM

Hi everyone,
No news about Mark yet. My arthritis seems to have settled down a little bit as of this morning (thank God) Steve gave me a good massage last night and used Traumeel cream on all my joints and my back--I love that stuff.
Ekblad, that's horrible about the little girl! What kind of accident was it?? Her parents must just be beside themselves. I'll keep her in my thoughts.
#94 of 105 Old 08-20-2004, 10:54 AM

Lesley,
I LOVE lavender on a little girl! So pretty. And green would be super cool considering her name choice which btw is great. Why don't your parents like it, did they say?

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#95 of 105 Old 08-20-2004, 10:56 AM

I don't post a lot here but I read several times a day usually. Lesley I am so glad everything is fine!!! and Shannon what a horrible day I will say prayers for your godson, and for the danes family. We have a dane and she is like a person she really has a personality and all the danes I have been around do so I'm sure he/she knew how upset you were and I'm glad her mom and dad aren't going to do anything. Just take care!

I am doing good, we had mandatory marine wife meeting last night and didn't get to eat supper until 10:00 so I am kinda feeling poopy tonight plus yesterday I had to cook supper for the guys in dh's shop only 8 but still hard to do when your sleepy and had a 14 month old following you around babbleing. When I came home the guys ate my steak too so all I had was a baked potato and I went to sleep. I was having more cramps during my meeting last night so will get my cervix checked next week to make sure it is soft and short and dilated, it was when I was 18 weeks when all that started happening with ds. So a little scared but he turned out ok. Hope everyone else has a good day!

Doula mama to my 3 bugs
#96 of 105 Old 08-20-2004, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty
Lesley,
I LOVE lavender on a little girl! So pretty. And green would be super cool considering her name choice which btw is great. Why don't your parents like it, did they say?

They think it sounds like an old lady. Which makes me laugh. Whatever. I told my mom, "You want to name a baby? Then you have one!"
#97 of 105 Old 08-20-2004, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesleyluu
I told my mom, "You want to name a baby? Then you have one!"
Good answer! My parents never like the names we pick out either. That usually makes me like the names even more!!!!

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#98 of 105 Old 08-20-2004, 03:04 PM

Lesley woo-hoo!!!! Great news! You must be so relieved. Is Hazel the baby's name? I think it's beautiful.
#99 of 105 Old 08-21-2004, 10:12 PM

Where is everyone today?? Last post was yesterday early afternoon!!
Feeling not too bad today, even made brownies for dh. My bp is still up a bit, doc has me taking it 3 times a day and recording it for her along with what I'm doing at the time.
They have started to very slowly bring Mark around, he's still out, but now he's moving and mumbling a bit.
Ekblad, how is the little girl in your homeschool group?
Hope everyone is doing alright out there!
#100 of 105 Old 08-21-2004, 11:27 PM

Wow! I had an energetic day today. Went to the World Walk for Breastfeeding, then our food co op order came in, I put all that stuff away, organized many of my homeschool supplies for next year, ran some errands, bathed the kids, and even read to them! I really hope the end of the sickness has come. I was still feeling pretty crappy in the evenings. I'll be 15 wks on Tuesday.

I haven't heard anything else on the little girl from our group. I'm hoping she'll be able to go home soon. Her birthday is next week. I stocked up on some food to take over to their family when they're ready for it. I can't imagine trying to run a household of six kids while having this awful experience.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#101 of 105 Old 08-21-2004, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
Where is everyone today?? Last post was yesterday early afternoon!!
well... personally, I've been running around like a chicken with its head cut off! We're leaving on a 3 week camping trip tomorrow morning, dh, parents, and ds (22 months). Going from Austin Texas to... somewhere in New Mexico and Colorado. Probably above Silverton at some point; I love the alpine meadows.

A lot of packing. And how many pairs of pants DO you pack for a toddler when it will be sometimes wet and often cold AND he's potty training?? I figured stacks of 'em, and quarters for laundramats when we get to a town.

So looking foward to it. Ds is a wild thing right now, fun outside but a holy terror of energy inside. Camping good.

I hope all goes well for y'all, I'll check in mid-September.
#102 of 105 Old 08-22-2004, 01:05 AM

I'm doing well. I tried to hit the garage sales to look for baby clothes and equipment. But I didn't come across anything good.

I did go to Costco and pick up some groceries, especially veggies. Followed that up with a good nap and some dinner.

Tomorrow I am picking up a baby carrier that I scored off of our local freecyle network, and then I'll take some travel info to my MIL.

This week is another doctor appointment (15 weeks). I actually like them pretty well - especially since she usually says everthing is going fine. And I get away from the office for a few hours.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#103 of 105 Old 08-22-2004, 12:16 PM
tug

hi everybody -

shannon- i hope everything will be ok with mark. that is very scary. my thoughts will be with him.

yeah, lesley on the girl and the test results!

have fun camping, sofia!

we finally got in for the "special" u/s and the results were, i guess, as good as can be expected. there is no active bleeding and he thinks that the blood that is there is dissolving. in 90% of cases, everything goes ok from here. in 10%, the enzymes involved in dissolving the blood also dissolve the amnio membrame, causing a miscarriage. i'm still on bedrest (probably for the next three weeks at least) but we are optimistic. we have to be, i guess.

hope everybody is having a good weekend!
#104 of 105 Old 08-22-2004, 12:52 PM

Shannon - i've just been swamped, hence my no replies... i'm glad they're slowing brining your godson out of the coma

Tug - good to hear the ultrasound went as well as expected.

Ekblad - How awesome that you're feeling human again

So.. I did it. I am wearing maternity clothes for the *first* time. i feel sort of silly, but i do actually look pregnant in them, so there ya go. and OMG are they comfy. We're going to lunch w/MIL, so I'm sure she'll get a huge kick out of me looking pregnant. Should be interesting.... if the subject comes up we're going to tell her we're homebirthing. i'm still convinced she'll come unglued, but hopefully it won't be too bad. Rod thinks she'll bend.

I'm amazed that i have fingernails... this random pregnancy side effect just amuses me. I have not in YEARS had 10 fingernails that were a. cute enough, and b. long enough to polish. So i polished them an obnoxious shade of blue Match my toes.
#105 of 105 Old 08-22-2004, 02:20 PM

I started a new thread for the week. You can find it here:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?p=1930563

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page