Avoiding the flu - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-27-2004, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We took Dolivail last year, and we are going to take it again this year! We are NOT getting the flu vaccine.

Dd starts preschool on Friday and baby is due in the peak of flu season so doing *something* makes me feel better
#2 of 9 Old 09-27-2004, 10:11 AM

Homeopathic's all the way
#3 of 9 Old 09-27-2004, 11:07 AM

Nope I refuse to get a flu shot while pregnant. I've only had the flu twice in my entire life and both times the cases weren't all that bad. I'll take my chances and use homeopathics as well.
#4 of 9 Old 09-27-2004, 12:09 PM

We don't do anything different. Not sure if that's considered setting myself up for disaster or what, but we've never had a major illness problem in our family. I try to keep everyone as healthy as possible at all times - just because it's "flu season" doesn't mean that we should all of a sudden be doing something different. You can get flu at any time of the year.
#5 of 9 Old 09-27-2004, 04:01 PM

We don't do anything in particular, either. We are generally very healthy. We do wash our hands a lot more now that ds is back in school. If we do get sick, we use a great naturopath and take his recommended garlic/voodoo tabs...not sure what the heck is really in there, but they work well! I also swear by Tom's of Maine's vapor-rub for colds/coughs esp. at night. I hardly ever have to use "drugs" since this seems to quiet our coughs really well.
#6 of 9 Old 09-27-2004, 04:04 PM

I use a supplement called "Juice Plus" made from 17 different fruits and veggies. I take it every day and when I start to feel "compromised" I take a little extra and it always works like a charm. I also use this instead of a prenatal (there have been some good studies done showing Juice Plus babies are extra-healthy and alert). I'm not getting that darn shot either!

computergeek2.gif  Spirit Baby Intuitive (and really cool chick)

#7 of 9 Old 09-28-2004, 05:19 PM

I don't do anything different either. We all usually get the stomach flu once/season, all at the same time. My parents wouldn't speak to me for like a week last year b/c I refused to get the kids a flu shot. I used to take extra supplements and have the kids too but I haven't done that in a while. My kids don't go to school so they don't get exposed to many germs.

Is Dolivail a homeopathic remedy or a tincture or what? I'm curious.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#8 of 9 Old 09-28-2004, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemom
I also swear by Tom's of Maine's vapor-rub for colds/coughs esp. at night. I hardly ever have to use "drugs" since this seems to quiet our coughs really well.
I make my own cough syrup... tinctures of Ginger, Hyssop, Licorice, Marshmallow rt, and Elencampane, equal parts, mixed with an equal or greater part of honey (ie, 1/4C each tincture, 1 1/4 C or greater honey). Omit the licorice during pregnancy. I make all my own tinctures, so its pretty cheap... you just make a 25% alcohol sollution out of brandy and water, and soak your herbs in it for 2 weeks, strain and Voila, you have tincture. If anyone wants the herb to brandy proportion, pm me. I have all that at home. This cough syrup has saved my health MANY times... and I make it for some folks in my life with chronic coughs...from smoking or asthma, and it is very good for them.
#9 of 9 Old 09-28-2004, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad7+
I don't do anything different either. We all usually get the stomach flu once/season, all at the same time. My parents wouldn't speak to me for like a week last year b/c I refused to get the kids a flu shot. I used to take extra supplements and have the kids too but I haven't done that in a while. My kids don't go to school so they don't get exposed to many germs.

Is Dolivail a homeopathic remedy or a tincture or what? I'm curious.

Ya know? When I typed it I left out the x. It is Dolivaxil, it is homeopathic, here is a link to it http://www.herbsmd.com/shop/productdetail.asp?pid=18760

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page