February mama chat Sept. 27th- Oct. 3rd - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2004, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeesh, what is it with the dogs? Rudy woke me up at 5 AM AGAIN this morning, barking at something outside. Our neighborhood does NOT need barking dogs at 5 AM, they all hate me enough as it is So, I had to get up & let him in (he wasn't barking to come in, so at least it wasn't my fault he was barking in the first place ) and then I couldn't get back to sleep. I ended up designing diaper patterns in my head for a good 2 hours before I could drift off and have more bizarre dreams.
Yesterday morning, I dreamed I got back with my oldest DS's dad to have this baby, which was a girl. It was a strange dream, because DH was still totally in the picture, and it was more just a decision to have another full sibling for Ian or something. Very odd.
I had to go buy a new modem with a USB plug-in for my computer yesterday - my phone/modem connection wiring finally broke from the jack being loose in the housing for too long. The good thing about this is, if we get call-waiting, I can have internet call-waiting too. My mother will be so happy! :LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2004, 12:52 PM

I want doughnuts!!!!!! I've been wanting them for weeks but this morning I've got to have them! We're leaving at 8:30 so that we can do all our errands in the same trip. Can't wait!

I'll write later. Just wanted to share my craving.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:38 PM

Well I wish I could blame my early morning rising to a dog, but nope my DH made enough noise at 6am to wake the dead *grumble*.

I had a very disturbing dream early this morning. I dreamt I gave birth to a very large (like 3 feet long) bony deformed boy. He was absolutely hideous and looked like an old man shriveled into a tiny boy's body. They took him away from me after I kept screaming "I need to breastfeed him!" and an hour later they brought back a bag full of fat and said "here's your son". I started screaming and crying and actually woke up crying.

OMG It was horrible Has anyone else had any really disturbing dreams yet? I have had them with each of my pregnancies, but that was probably the worst one I've ever had
Old 10-02-2004, 02:35 PM

No, Traci, I gotta say, I've never had a dream that disturbing.
yick.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:05 PM

I haven't had any that disturbing (that I can remember, anyway), but I've had repeated dreams during previous pregnancies where I keep birthing baby after baby, and then just leaving them where they happened to come out - on the floor, in the toilet, on the stairway......and then my mom would be following after me, gathering them up and runing after me yelling "You need to take care of these!" It's very creepy.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:08 PM

Well with my first pregnancy, I dreamt I had to keep my baby in a jar while I food shopped so she would stay warm and protected. I even microwaved her for a couple minutes to make the jar really warm so she would stay cozy. EEK!

I know that dream was about simulating the womb and protecting the baby, but I can't seem to figure out the meaning of this morning's dream. With each pregnancy I always have a small fear in the back of my mind that something will go wrong and I think my subconscience just took over with my fear and created a creepy dream. I hope I don't have any others like that.

Please share if anyone else has a wacky pregnancy dream.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:11 PM

Oh and Joy, I blamed those cheese fries we shared on that dream :LOL
Old 10-02-2004, 06:18 PM

The only bad one I had was before we knew it was a girl and I dreamed I had a boy, born with red hair, a thick mustache and glasses--oh and he was wearing a 3 piece suit. Disturbing at the time, but not nearly as much as the ones you guys are describing!!
M2C, I got donuts today!! I was grocery shopping and picked up 1/2 dozen Krispy Cremes.
We now have a dishwasher!!! (and no it doesn't have 4 legs and a tail) Steve is installing it now--Woo Hoo!!
Well, my hips are absolutely KILLING me today, my grocery shopping was excruciating, how on earth am I going to deal with this later on??? It seems so bad right now, I'm hoping that part of how bad it is, is that I'm stressing about how bad it could get--does that make sense?? I'm so scared I won't be able to walk later in the pregnancy.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:05 PM

threeforme -- I had a very scary dream 5 weeks ago where I gave birth to a baby girl too early and she died. I woke up dh and started crying because it was so vivid and I could feel my overwhelming grief. It was really awful and I was fearful all the next day. I've read, though, that scary dreams are our way of working out our anxieties during pregnancy and actually can be healthy -- though they sure S*CK at the time!

computergeek2.gif  Spirit Baby Intuitive (and really cool chick)

Old 10-02-2004, 09:37 PM

Well, I've managed to miss another week here. Seems like I always have time online on Saturday nights when this thread is already wrapping up.

Monica~ I really hope you get to do this your way. Military hospitals are no place for healthy moms and babies. My sil's experience was horrible at Camp Lejeune.

Shannon~ It is stressful wondering if you're going to be able to walk in a couple months. I'm in the same boat. My pubic/hip problems keep getting worse. Getting out of bed in the morning is excruciating. Wish we could help each other!

I had my ultrasound on Thursday. It was really great. It's a very well-endowed boy! (like father, like son!!) :LOL It was a very nice experience. The tech was 22 weeks along, so we had lots to chat about. The pictures were very clear too. The clearest I've ever seen from ultrasound. I've been beaming ever since. I didn't realize how much I wanted a son. I put his picture and a new belly pic in my signature.

I haven't had any disturbing baby dreams yet, but I keep having really disturbing dreams about dh having an affair or us preparing to be bombed! I've had multiple dreams about each scenario. I wake up so upset.

Anyway, I hope you are all enjoying your weekend. It's starting to look a lot like fall around here. I love it!
Old 10-02-2004, 11:35 PM

Kate I've had dreams where my baby has died too and I think the feelings are pretty close to the real thing. So so sad. I wish our minds would not do this to us, but perhaps that is true about working out our fears and releasing our tension and what not.

Tracie! Congrats on finding out your having a son!!! That's really exciting The ultrasound picture is great and you look terrific! My U/S is Tuesday and all you gals are pumping me up! I just hope my baby is as cooperative
Old 10-03-2004, 01:19 AM

Hi all,

I know I won't remember or keep up with everyone's news. A general congratulations to those of you finding out your baby's gender and a good luck if you are having an u/s this week!

I had a Boston Cream doughnut today with a Starbucks' Frappuccino drink from the cooler at the convenience store. So, so bad for me, but I savored it! Today was pancake day. It's become a tradition after soccer on Saturdays and my husband does the cooking...it's about the only thing he makes besides smoothies!

We just got back from a silent auction fundraiser for a local skatepark. What fun! We got really competitive over some of the auction items. My big score was twelve months of personal training ($675 value) for $30!!!! DS was thrilled because he got to skate while we were participating in the auction and having dinner. We're all hooked now.

As for dreams, I've always had vivid dreams, but it seems to get more intense during pregnancy. The other night, I had a nightmare and in my dream I was trying to get dh's attention to tell him I needed help. I woke us both up by actually screaming "I need help!" Poor dh bolted out of bed and grabbed me--"what's wrong??" totally freaked out. He was so sweet after we realized I'd been dreaming. He walked me downstairs so I wouldn't have to be alone while I went to the bathroom. I've only had a few baby dreams so far this pregnancy. One was that I gave birth to a baby boy only to discover that he was actually my friend's baby, not mine. The other, some random person kept putting her baby upside down in the car seat. When I righted the baby, the woman kept dumping buckets of water on her and yelling at me to let her swim. Very strange. When I was pregnant with ds, I dreamed he was a catfish.

Our dream minds are strange and powerful. I wish you all sweet dreams ahead!! susan
Old 10-03-2004, 01:50 AM

I had my doughnuts this morning. They were good but not as totally wonderful as I had thought they would be. I ate two and am so over this craving.

I haven't had but two dreams this PG and they were about me feeling the baby move. nothing really vivid. With my 1st PG I had really vivid dreams. One was horrible...in it I went to the Dr office with dh and my oldhigh school boy friend. The dr examed me and screamed then ran out of the room. I got up and the little baby fell out in a puddle. I put it in plastic wrap and then looked and it was a girl. Then we went to bury it. I was upset for a while about that one. My Dh was deployed so I was alone here with no family and it was before I felt any movement. That was the only bad dream I ever had about PG. I wish I would have a gender dream with this one.(but not a bad one) 11 Oct is in 9 more days and I can't wait for the news. THis one better show or I'll go insane.

Sweet baby dreams Mamas! I'll talk to you all tomorrow. Love, Tricia
Old 10-03-2004, 03:35 AM

Just popping in to say I may be returning soon. I still have my evaluation with my princiapl on Thursday, but I completed my portfolio for my Master's today! I just have to mail it in on Monday, and wait to get the pass/fail grade back (pretty sure that it has to be a pass). And, although this is totally OT, I have to toot my own horn a little here. My grades for the final semester came in, and I maintained a 4.0 GPA through my whole Master's program! I'm sooooo happy to be done, it is like a giant weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

Speaking of which, the back pain is getting pretty killer these days. The prenatal massage helped for a few days, but I think it is time to step it up a notch and try chiro. I'm a little nervous, TBH, I've never been to chiro before.

The only baby related dream I've had recently is the accidental homebirth one, where the baby was breech. I do remeber that I sometimes have scary ones, but I can't think of any right now. I had a lot while awaiting my amnio.

I went to whole foods tonight and was amazed by their awesome selection of pregnancy things from Otherlove, earth mama angel baby, etc. I was tempted to buy it all, but the ice cream was melting...

Gotta go, so tired.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:39 AM

Morning. I haven't had too many baby dreams, but the ones I've had were always nice and peaceful. I have had some crazy dreams though. I too have always had insanely vivid dreams, but these really take the cake. They're so realistic and sometimes I can't tell if I'm dreaming or awake. I guess since my baby dreams are peaceful the rest of them have to be ultra violent or something to make up for it. I try to keep a dream journal, but I've fallen off lately but I do make note of some of them...especially the one where my DH was murdered at Burger King (barf), decapitated, and then boiled. Yeah, that one was pretty gross and I actually woke up crying.

I have a question for any of you who go to chiros. I'm going to get a sponsorship to see one (stupid military rules) because I hurt my back very badly cleaning MILs house while I was in FL and it just hasn't gotten better. I'm very scared because I've heard that once you've gone you have to go for the rest of your life. Please tell me this isn't true! I have got to get some relief for my back and nothing I can do (warm compresses, hot baths, rubbing, etc) works. I really want to see a chiro, but I'm scared that I'll be dependent on one for the rest of my life.

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

Old 10-03-2004, 10:33 AM

Hey ladies, how ya doin'??
Tracie, congratulations on your baby boy, and the great pictures. It is so cool being able to get a little look at them now.

Well I am blaming Shannon for the urge to get a Mc D's milkshake and Monica for the fries. The fries were great, the milkshake, I won't be going back for !!! Just wanted to let you know that Monica, so you don't have to take all the blame!!

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

Old 10-03-2004, 11:25 AM

Lesley, congrats on finishing up your masters!!! And the GPA! I just started my masters program, and I don't know if I'm going to be able to stick with it.

Ella, last week was really bad in terms of fast food cravings. I won't even list all the junk I ate.

On Friday night DH & I watched the documentary Supersize Me!, and I think that may have cured me for at least a few weeks, hopefully the rest of the pregnancy. Fast food used to be a once-a-month thing for me, but it's become frequent with this pregnancy. Part of it is just that I don't have a enough food with me at work, and part of it is that I love fries.

But yesterday I took the rest of our leftovers, and frozen them in lunch size portions. Hopefully that will save me from the golden arches.

Mainemom, my husband is supposed to make gingerbread pancakes today. We'll see if he gets out of bed before noon, though they'd make a fine lunch too. I have to cut him slack though, he spent several hours patching and sanding the walls in the baby's room, which aggravates his asthma.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:45 AM

Hi ladies! I'm about to go for a walk, but wanted to pipe in with the other aching backs. I've found the best thing for me is some yoga -- especially cat/cow stretch and spinal twisting (I think some twisting is contraindicated for pregnancy, but I figure if it feels good, it can't hurt). I've only been doing it about 3 times a week, but now that my back is starting to bother me more frequently I think I"ll try for four.

Congrats, Lesley on your perfect GPA! It is the most wonderful feeling, isn't it -- after all that hard work. You should be very proud of yourself!!!

Okay, since we're talking about food, I have to brag about the french toast my dh made yesterday morning -- whole wheat french toast, rolled in oats with nutmeg and allspice. Yummmmm!

Now I'm hoping this walk will take my mind off the fast-food temptation again! D*mmit!!!

computergeek2.gif  Spirit Baby Intuitive (and really cool chick)

Old 10-03-2004, 12:47 PM

Mainemom...what a score you got! 30 bucks? Wow...enjoy that one! We have a pancake tradition at our house too. We always make a big breakfast after church on Sundays. Usually it's pancakes, hashbrowns and bacon. Today we are having chocolate chip pancakes (baby is craving chocolate again :LOL) and hashbrowns and Abuelita again (Mexican chocolate/cinnamon drink). Mmmm I can't wait to get home from church. hehe

Bridget...gingerbread pancakes sound absolutely divine! I've been craving a homemade gingerbread with sweet icing. Mmmmmm

I had some strange dreams again last night, but thankfully not about the baby. These were about being trapped on a cruiseship that dove off a dock and went underwater. Hmmm ok. And then the other one was about fishing off a dock and catching a super high tech shark that had a GPS device on it's face and could talk. He kept threatening to hurt me or blow me up if I didn't let him go. I told him I wanted to keep him and was trying to make him comfortable, but that I couldn't kill him without talking to my sales manager first. Ummm ok then. :LOL I can only imagine what kind of dreams the rest of this pregnancy is going to produce.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:48 PM

morning all!
On the chiro thing Monica, I don't think you become dependant, just that when you get fixed up, it feels so different from what some of us just "live with" that you want to keep going--does that make sense?? I have heard that some people get "addicted" to the energy surge that seems to happen after an adjustment, but I mean, it's not like a chemical addiction KWIM?? I wouldn't worry about it, I used to go faithfully and then went 5 yrs without seeing one. I had to go back when my asthma started acting up again.
I'm still in pretty rough shape, I really hoped that some sleep would help the hip pain, but I woke up still painful today. I spent last night puking until about 2 in the morning cause I had broken down and taken some demerol. I don't know what I'm gonna do about this. My doc told me I could go on a pain patch, my concern with that though is that I would be getting the medication 24/7, whereas I can usually get away with demerol once or twice a week. Oh what to do, what to do???
Back to my couch to lay down.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:42 PM
tug

morning everybody:

i agree with shannon on the chiro thing. i looooved it when i went years ago for constant anxiety-induced heartburn and carpal tunnel and it totally helped. i stopped going when the anxiety-inducing situation changed (i graduated from law school), and had no problems. i would love to go back now. can you go, shannon? or would it be too rough with the arthritis? i'm sorry you're having so much trouble with pain/demerol/throwing up.

lesley - YAY on the masters! you should feel soooo proud. bridget, hang in there, you can do it. for me, the graduate degree that was the hardest to finish (law) is the one i am most proud of (though the MA was much more fun ).

traci - nice belly! nice yard too. will you come put some flowers in my barren scourge too?

susan and kate - sorry about the scary dreams. my dreams have been weird, but not scary yet (this pregnancy, with ds i had some horrible horrible ones). i had one where i was kissing an old boyfriend. that was weird and embarassing but not scary.

mmm, doughnuts...why am i trapped here and dependent upon my dh to fulfill cravings that y'all start!!!

good days to everybody.

terenia
Old 10-03-2004, 03:40 PM

Wow! I've missed so much, but I read every single post - I just can't remember them, thanks to pregnancy brain, lol.

Emily - Hey, you're not the only one who hasn't definitely felt movement. I've had a couple of times where I thought it COULD be the baby, or it could be gas. I've not yet had that definitive moment where I KNEW the baby was moving/kicking/whatever. I didn't feel movement until pretty late with DS, too - I actually lied to the OB b/c he wouldn't lay off me and I knew nothing was wrong. I'm thinking I probably do have an anterior placenta (although I'm praying not - it would be just my luck if the placenta was over the - unnecessary - c/s scar). Oh, and I'm so glad you like your package!

Monica - Please, please, PLEASE do whatever you have to to have the birth YOU want. I so wish that I had begged, borrowed, or stolen to have a homebirth with DH. $$ should NOT cause you to have a birth experience that you will regret. I still can't think about DS' birth without crying (even when NOT pregnant). If only I had listened to the mamas who advised me to find a midwife and have a homebirth. If only I had stayed out of the hospital. If only.....but I can't go back and change what was a HORRIBLE experience. Please don't let that happen to you. And, I know your DH has a part in this, too, but YOU are the one who's giving birth. YOU are the one who needs to feel comfortable and relaxed. YOU are the one who will be more impacted if you don't have a good birth experience.

Oh, and I lived in Southern Pines - I didn't know you are in Fayetteville! Crazy!

Shannon - about your hips. I don't know how much your arthritis is playing into the pain, but when I was pg with DS, I literally could not walk b/c of my hip pain - and that was early on, like before the 20week mark. My sOB told me that the pain was caused by the hormones causing my joints to relax and that it'd get worse, then better (during the second tri, I think), then MUCH worse as I approached delivery. Bull$*(&. I hit a point where, like I said, I literally could not walk (and the sOB sent me to PT, where I was shown how to vacuum properly. LMAO - I can't WALK, and you think I give a crap about vacuuming?), then it gradually got better. The pain and twinges never went away completely, but they did get better. I started worrying when I hit the third tri, thinking that pain would hit me hard again, but it didn't get any worse.

But, again, I don't have arthritis, so I don't know how much that's coming into play. I wonder if maybe it doesn't have THAT much to do with your hips - that maybe this hip pain is a "normal" thing - b/c like I said, I don't have arthritis yet was in excruciating pain? I don't know, just trying to throw some thoughts out there. I will be thinking healing thoughts for you, though - I know how much that hip pain kills, and you're never safe - you can have a twinge sitting in the exact same position as you have been for the last 20 minutes with no pain, then all of a sudden WHAM!!!

Lesley - Awesome!! That is really something to be proud of! My mom went back and got her master's after she divorced my step-dad, and she kept a 4.0 GPA too. She was so proud, and deservedly so! Have you had a party/celebration for yourself? Congratulations!

Whew! That's all my pregnancy-handicapped brain can remember for right now.....I'll have to check back later and see how everyone's doing.

Oh, yeah, about dreams.....Luckily, I haven't had any bad dreams with this pregnancy, but TWICE now I've dreamed about having this babe at home, UC. Both times it was SO REAL and felt SO RIGHT. I'm working on trying to open DH up to the idea of welcoming this babe whereever we happen to be - if that's here at home, great, if it ends up being at the birth center, fine. I won't lie, though, I'd prefer to do it here. I'm planning on staying home as long as possible, anyway, and I'd like DH to come to peace with the idea that if I get to a certain point at home, I'm just staying. I do NOT want to drive 20 minutes into town during transition, or trying not to push, or pushing! If I labor at home to that point, I want to just stay there, yk?

So if you all could send some open-mind-vibes to my DH, I'd appreciate it. I'm not even trying to get him to agree to a definite UC, I'm just trying to get him to be open to having this birth whereever it needs to be.

Kinsey
Old 10-03-2004, 04:36 PM

(warning - LDAK - lying down at keyboard )

My recurring dream is sort of a night terror... i wake up convinced the baby is under dh or under my pillow and is suffocating and i tamp down all the sheets and blankets and still can't find the baby. Then i frantically wake dh who;s like "what are you talking about, go back to bed!" and then I realize I'm just dreaming.

Clearly I'm working through my anxiety re: cosleeping. Since we were unable to cosleep last time (due to preemie twins. on apnea monitors, etc etc.) I guess I feel like a newbie at this even when i'm sleeping!
Old 10-03-2004, 07:13 PM

Hi again everyone, Lesley I forgot to say earlier, big congrats on your grades!!! Woo Hoo!!
Kinsey, I'm not sure how much is my arthritis and how much is the pregnancy. The scary part is that because of the arthritis my pain tolerance is very very high. My hips have always been bad and a couple winters ago I slipped getting out of my truck on the ice. Sortof hung on to the steering wheel but my right hip came crashing down on the running boards, unfortunately, I also busted a rib on the door frame (yes, I would have been better off just letting myself hit the actual ground) Anyway, long story short, I'm used to so much pain in my hips on a regular basis that I didn't realize I had actually fractured the right hip. It wasn't until it repeatedly locked completely that they investigated and found the healed fracture. So for me to be in enough pain to complain about it and not be able to walk, I have to be in pretty rough shape. Right now the right hip is worse than the left, but this pain is unreal. I went out this afternoon and it seems to be way worse when I'm walking in my running shoes (which is odd because I have very good orthotics in them) bare feet is better, as is anything with a heel. weird.
Tug, I actually see the chiro 3 times a week, mainly for my pelvis, it's helping, which depresses me that this could be worse.
Monica, I agree, do what you can to get the birth you want. Stress to dh that baby is always better when mama is in good spirits.
Ok, still feeling pukey, don't know what I'll make dh for dinner, I feel bad that he suffers for my yucky days--wait a minute...no I don't!!!!!
Old 10-03-2004, 10:37 PM

I can't remember who was talking about the acorn squashes some time back, but it's been stuck in my mind ever since. I found some at the store today and bought one for dinner. I filled it with pepper jack, colby, and cheddar cheeses with caramalized onions and artichoke hearts. MMMMMmmmmmm. It was sooo good. I also made some surf and turf and DH was too stuck on the shrimp to eat much of his squash so I ended up eating his too. I'm still hungry!!

I'm getting so jealous of everyone who knows what they're having. I can't wait until Tuesday and I just hope the baby isn't a stubborn little thing like me and DH.

Have a good (pain free) evening and sweet dreams. I'm off for ice cream

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

Old 10-03-2004, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tug
nice yard too. will you come put some flowers in my barren scourge too?
:LOL that's exactly what I was thinking!! My poor yard! We moved here in the spring, and I never got around to doing much. It's all I can do to keep what was already here alive! Thankfully the previous owner had planted some dark, dark red and white mums - it looks pretty decent these days - in the front anyway!

I had composed a very long post a few days back, but due to a computer issue that forced me to reboot, lost it...oh well...

First off - it has been a chatty week here, and I've had a hard time keeping up, but I'll try!

Lesley - congratulations on your Masters success! After such a year, too!

Love seeing all the bellies (and lovely yard!) - I will try to get my stuff together soon and post to the web...:

I haven't been recording my dreams at all, but I've had some strange ones, too. Thankfully nothing as scary and disturbing as some of you have been having! s!!

After much soul-searching, reading, and discussing, I ended up choosing to have the 20-week u/s last week. I really didn't want the tech to linger longer than necessary, so I didn't get her to show me anything. It lasted perhaps 20-25 minutes, when she had predicted 35-40, so I was happy about that. We did get a still, but frankly - I have a hard time seeing a baby in those, and due to my reluctance to even have an u/s, didn't have much of an emotional reaction to it. I see my backup mw on Tuesday, when we'll discuss, but the tech told me the baby was measuring at the age I had given, and when talking to my mw on the phone, she said they'd have paged her if anything was wrong. Baby's been moving about, and I'm feeling really good about things, so I'm feeling quite calm about the results - I felt no need to check back on Friday to see if the results had come in.

It's been a gorgeous sunny, fall weekend - dh and my mom and I got out for a lovely walk in the woods today. Hope everyone's having a good weekend, and that this week brings all good things - pain relief for Shannon, progress in birth plans for Monica, and sweet dreams and comforting baby movement for everyone!!
Old 10-04-2004, 01:22 AM

Before I forget again I also wanted to congratulate Lesley on the awesome grades! That's truly amazing and right now you are my hero

Kinsey I will keep you in my thoughts and hope your DH will come around to the idea

Periwinkle that is a scary dream I hope that is the last of those dreams for you.

Shannon...ugh I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. I really hope you find a way to get relief soon. That sounds so painful

I'm heading to bed in a minute because it's been a long day and now I'm getting sleepy. We had a beautiful fall day here. Took the kids to a corn maze and they had a ball! Then we went to this huge Halloween store downtown and looked at all the cool Halloween gadgets and costumes. I'm really looking forward to getting our new house soon so we can decorate to our hearts delight and pass out candy. Right now we live in a townhouse association village and they are kind of strict on what kind of decorations we can have. Ugh.

My husband and I both had a craving for Chinese so we made it homemade. My DH learned from a Chinese coworker 3 years ago and I learned from a Chinese coworker 5 years ago and I guess they were awesome teachers because the food came out so wonderful and there was tons of veggies and we made sesame chicken over jasmine rice and eggrolls. OMG it was so good, but now I have heartburn and I'm heading to bed. Have a great night all!

Monica...I'm having my 20 week U/S Tuesday too. I'll send you open leg vibes if you'll send me some!
Old 10-04-2004, 01:54 AM

I am soooooooo angry and frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is totally off topic, but I need to vent.
Sad story, at a local apple orchard and farm near me (great place to bring the kids) a 9 yr old girl with Downs syndrome went missing this afternoon--around 3:30. She apparently got scared by a dog and took off.
So around 8:30 at night, the police or our local rural watch, went door to door trying to get people to join in the search. My assisstant lives quite close so she was notified. She calls me and asks me to bring Havoc out (actually she asked if she could come get Havoc as she knows how I can't walk right now) Unfortunately Havoc will not work for anyone but me.
Our local police department has the WORST k-9 unit in history!!! A couple years ago a teenage boy was hit by a train, the driver of the train knew he'd hit someone and our wonderful K-9 unit was called in. They searched for 4 hours and came up empty. The next morning the boy was found--barely alive (I'm just guessing that 7 hours earlier would have made a big differenc in his condition) only 20 feet from the road and 15 feet into the field from the tracks!! I mean, it's likely their dogs stopped to take a leak on the kid, I have no idea how he could have been missed. Sorry that part was just to rant about how lousy their dogs are.
Havoc has been certified with FEMA as a search & rescue and cadaver dog for 6 yrs. For this certification he would HAVE to have a minimum of twice the training and qualifications in search work than most police dogs (at least the Canadian ones) I have worked with police departments in the states, and in all surrounding communities, but our police department will have nothing to do with a private dog--it's all based on pride, they are afraid their funding (which is at best pitifull) will be pulled if their dog failed to locate and a private dog came in. They are especially afraid of Havoc as his reputation as an open air search dog is extremely well known. We were called out by the family for an alzheimers patient adn when I arrived their K9 guy told me they had cleared 3 grids and was pointing them out. The family member brought me an article of clothing and Havoc sniffed it while in the truck and then indicated where the guy was while he was still at the command post. His nose went up and he started dragging me--needless to say, this was an area they had "already cleared"
Anyway, I went out on the off chance they'd let us search, if the parents request it, the police can't turn it down--it's just that most parents don't know to request a private search dog. As I was pulling up the cops told me I would not be able to search with the dog--I know, I knew it but still. So I went to find my assisstant. Parents were out on the grid, so I couldnt' talk to them, finally I went home. There was no sense in my risking my ability to walk any further if I can't search with the dog.
So now I am home, I am waiting for them to call off the search as I can then legally take Havoc in but I'm so angry and frustrated.
This is a missing child with downs, I've studied lost child behavior extensively and I can guarentee she's hiding, she will likely not be seen by people with flashlights as the search itself would be terrifying for her. Havoc can indicate while still up to 100' away, which would allow her to be found gently with a little less fear, but no!! And why???
Because the Halton Regional Police department doesn't want to be shown up!!!!!!!
My take especially with missing children is who the hell cares who finds the kid, as long as she's found. It's down to about 9 degrees here (celcius) and this little girl is wearing a t-shirt. There are multiple ponds and a stream on the property. The property is a little over 500 acres but they are too f---ing proud to allow a private volunteer dog to search for them. Havoc can clear 10 acres every 15 minutes. It takes a ground crew of 25, 90 minutes minimum to clear 10 acres.
So now I will go to bed and wait for my assisstant to call and say the police have given up, then I will go out with Havoc.
Please everyone keep this little girl Kate in your thoughts for me.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:02 AM

Ooookay...... I just spent the day CLEANING - and I mean completely empty out the drawers and cabinets cleaning - my kitchen. It looks gawgeous now (I guess you can probably tell it wasn't spotless before, huh?). I also cleared off my dining room table and extra table - they just had piles of JUNK that I couldn't seem to do anything with. Now my great room (open kitchen facing into the dining room/living room area) looks so wonderful!

Tomorrow I plan to work on our office - it's just cluttered up with bunches of paper that for some reason we need to save. So I'm going to be a filing maniac tomorrow. Unless my energy goes on hiatus, lol. I'm putting this pre-nesting energy to work for me!

Jeff made fried chicken and twice-baked potatoes for us today. Mmmmmm......good - especially tasty b/c I didn't have to cook! Then we made a cake (I know, bad, but I've only gained back 5 of the 25 lbs I lost this pregnancy! I'm still ahead of the game).

Shannon - I know what you mean about the high pain tolerance. I have a high tolerance, too, and last pregnancy I wondered if the sOB wasn't taking my hip pain seriously b/c he thought it just wasn't that bad. Believe me, if I am saying my hip hurts, it FREAKIN' hurts, yk? I hope yours starts to get better soon. I think if I put a heating pad on my hip, it helped sometimes.....

Well, just checking in before bedtime. Maybe I'll start the new thread - it's technically Monday on the east coast, and b/c we're behind out here in AK, everyone's already awake by the time I get online in the mornings. This may be my only chance to start the new thread!

Kinsey
Old 10-04-2004, 01:00 PM

Come on everyone, Kinsey started a new thread...

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho....php?p=2112149

User Tag List