Uncertain U/S - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 09-28-2004, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had an ultrasound done today with the midwife I train under. It was not so good. Baby didn't move, couldn't even see a heartbeat until they zoomed way in. They were telling me the baby was gone or on his way out when they did the Doppler and got a strong HB at 160. Put the US back on and baby did move a little bit. He also measured at 16 1/2 to 18 1/2 weeks depending on the measure and I am at least 20 by dates. So I am feeling very sad and not at all reassured by baby moving at the end. The movement I have been feeling have been very light and infrequent even though I began to feel him at 13 weeks, I still only feel Him even 2-3 days--very unusual for me-part of why I wanted the US. At this point I am strongly feeling something is not well with this babe, yet have no choice but to wait and see what will happen. Just needing some hugs
#2 of 30 Old 09-28-2004, 03:42 PM

I'm so sorry.

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

#3 of 30 Old 09-28-2004, 04:47 PM

#4 of 30 Old 09-28-2004, 05:16 PM

To be honest I would make an appt with an OB. Midwives are wonderful for normal healthy pregnancies, but IMO reasons like this are why OB's should be available. It could be something simple, it might not be. There may be something fixable going on that some prenatal testing would identify and be able to treat. I would not be able to just do nothing. I would get a second and third opinion if need be.
#5 of 30 Old 09-28-2004, 05:16 PM

I'm sorry you're going through worry. I don't feel my baby move either. My mw said my placenta is in the front and I'm, umm, a lot more heavy than I was in previous pregnancies. My u/s was also very stressful. I'm sorry yours was as well. I've since gone from worry to nonworry back to worry. Will they do an u/s again? And my third baby measured really small for how many weeks I was. He was born and was 8 1/2 lbs. I hope the same for you. Keep us posted.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#6 of 30 Old 09-28-2004, 07:43 PM

Please get another U/S done to ease your mind. I'm keeping you in my prayers and I will be waiting to hear your update.
#7 of 30 Old 09-28-2004, 07:51 PM

I agree with those that suggested a second u/s. please keep us posted. hugs to you
#8 of 30 Old 09-28-2004, 08:13 PM

Jen, Sending big hugs to you and your family. Let us know how everything pans out. I would get another opinion too. Thinking of you xxxx Jasmine

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#9 of 30 Old 09-28-2004, 10:00 PM

Jen,
Sending well wishes and prayers your way. I hope you find some peace! susan
#10 of 30 Old 09-28-2004, 10:48 PM

Ah Jen, I know how stressful this waiting game is. Are there any plans in place as far as when you will be checking him again (oh and do you know it's a him??)
Keep us posted and we'll do all we can to help you through.
#11 of 30 Old 09-29-2004, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Talked with DH and we are going to get another ultrasound. I am torn with the decision. Yesterdays US was so bizarre. We were certain the baby was gone and then saw the movement, but yet so slow. We weren't able to visualize any organs but the heart and that not well, no real limbs etc. I've never seen an US like it and I've seen quite a few. I hesitate because I wirry about getting a label for a problem and then being unable to think about this baby, and only learning about the problem. It is entirely possible we will learn this baby will not live outside my womb, also possible that we will learn that he needs medical attention at birth to live, and most hopefully could learn that I am really having a baby mid-March (though I doubt it based on LMP and when I had a BFP) I am just trying to keep focused on sending love to the baby and keeping in mind that my body knows how to do this, if there is something different about this baby--it is so and nothing can be done. Sorry to sound so grim ladies--just knowing in my heart that that US was not what a 20 week US should look like.

No I don't know this baby is a boy.
#12 of 30 Old 09-29-2004, 04:34 PM

For what it's worth, I feel that you are making good decisions w more prenatal testing. I hope that everything works out.
#13 of 30 Old 09-29-2004, 04:42 PM

Good Luck in whatever you decide. But, I think it's a smart move to get a second opinion. A gal I used to work with had a prenatal diagnosis of her baby being ancephalic (without an brain) and wouldn't survive outside the womb. They are deeply religious and chose to carry the baby to term. They were able to go to a higher level facility to deliver the baby and be able to donate the baby's organs, since everything else was totally healthy. Knowing ahead of time, gave them the chance to make this plan and save or improve the lives of 9 other babies/children! It's hardly consolation for their loss, but at least gave them a little solace in their grief.

Knowing might also allow you to do research ahead of time and be able to make any decisions that need to be made.

for all the waiting and stressful times ahead.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#14 of 30 Old 09-29-2004, 05:13 PM

Oh Weesj...I'm so sorry that you and your family have to go through this trying time. Sending peaceful thoughts your way -- my heart just goes out to you....

computergeek2.gif  Spirit Baby Intuitive (and really cool chick)

#15 of 30 Old 09-29-2004, 05:20 PM

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I've been there and I am here if you need to talk. It's hard for most people to know how this feels. Listen to your gut. It will tell you is this baby is ok. I'd go for more testing. It may not always lead to what you want to hear and yes sometimes is useless hindsight but knowing can be healing.
#16 of 30 Old 09-29-2004, 08:14 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
#17 of 30 Old 09-29-2004, 08:18 PM

My thoughts and prayers are out to you while you go through this. I hope you find the support that you need. Get another look with the u/s.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#18 of 30 Old 09-29-2004, 11:53 PM

I'm so sorry,i know those fears so well.Having a special child is an amazing journey.I thank the goddess everyday for my special lil girl and all she has taught me.Whether it is for a day or many years that we know these lil angels it is so good to know they chose us to be with them on their journey through life.
#19 of 30 Old 09-30-2004, 04:41 PM

You and your little one are in my thoughts and prayers.
#20 of 30 Old 10-01-2004, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Oh mama. I'm so sorry you are playing the waiting game with this little one. As a mama with lots of complications(for me, baby is okay so far) and who was just put on bedrest I sympathize with you. Scary pregnancies consume your life. I definitely think more prenatal testing is the key even though getting a true diagnosis of a problem is likely to cause more worry. I am sorry I can only offer words of comfort when you probably need so much more. I will keep you and your little one in my thoughts for a healthy and safe pregnancy. Please keep us updated on your situation. I'll be worrying about you.
Meg

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#21 of 30 Old 10-01-2004, 10:34 AM

I am sending you thoughts and prayers. May you have the strength and support you need and the wisdom, too. Sending a hug, susan
#22 of 30 Old 10-01-2004, 12:43 PM

I am so sorry you have to go through this..........you and your babe will be in my thoughts!

I also hope you have the strenght to walk through these next weeks.

Here's another

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#23 of 30 Old 10-02-2004, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

WE went had had another Ultrasound done. The tech wouldn't allow me to look at the screen except at the very end GRRRR! Baby measured 18.5 weeks- could well just be on a 42 weeker insted of 40. He was moving his arms and legs but made no large body movements. Tech commented that he looked squished and didn't have much room. Everything they saw looked normal, however they we not able to visualize all 4 chambers of the heart or either kidney. We are taking it as they just couldn't see them. Report wanted me to come in for a repeat ultrasound in 2-3 weeks, don't think we will---no insurance and usually struggle to buy groceries so this was a big strain already. Will probaly wait until the 3rd trimester and do another in office ultrasound to find the heart and kidneys then go form there.

Thank you for all the well wishes. No we still don't KNOW its a boy, but the tech could easily see the sex and baby never opened its legs, so now we have a good guess that it is a boy.
#24 of 30 Old 10-02-2004, 11:41 AM

Jen, I'm sorry you're still left with questions. The outlook does look better now than it did originally though.
Is there anything we can do individually or as a group to help you out at all??? Other than just the usual sending out of good thoughts of happy boy??
#25 of 30 Old 10-02-2004, 12:30 PM

Jen, thank you for giving an update...I've been thinking of you. It's definitely good news that the baby was moving. I will keep you in my thoughts.
#26 of 30 Old 10-02-2004, 05:57 PM

Sending prayers and happy thoughts your way! :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#27 of 30 Old 10-02-2004, 08:07 PM

Sending you thoughts of strength, peace, and a healthy baby.
#28 of 30 Old 10-12-2004, 06:34 AM

Sorry to be so late in letting you know that I've been thinking of you! I am glad you were able to have a more positive follow up u/s, but sorry that you're still left with unanswered questions. Best wishes to you, regardless. Keep us posted and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. susan
#29 of 30 Old 10-12-2004, 01:43 PM

I had lots of problems with the pg early on, I am happy to report everything is sunny skies now. I hope the same for you. My OB told me this pg, not to even count kicks, because my placenta is really big/thick and I just wouldn't be able to feel them regularly. Now, though, things have moved around a bit, and I can feel kicks if I lay down for a few minutes.
#30 of 30 Old 10-14-2004, 04:09 PM
tug

jen - i just wanted to send you some encouragement. my baby is also measuring small but the last doc to do an ultrasound said to stop worrying. small is okay. and like you said, yours could be a 42 weeker (so could mine, come to think of it). my ds did not move that much it seemed like when i was pregnant the first time and he is fine. in fact, he is a very calm, sweet child.

wishing you lots of luck. i agree with meg that it is hard to have a "not perfect" pregnancy (i'm having one too), but many of them turn out fine. take care of yourself and your sweet baby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page