Cloth Diapers - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 96 Old 12-12-2004, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's the same concept as buying pretty underwear - nobody but you (and a choice few others) sees it, but it's fun to know it's there and looks nice
We do go coverless a lot of the time - that works well for me because it's a reminder to change him more often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 96 Old 12-12-2004, 04:46 PM

I posted a question over in the diapering forum, but I'll ask it here too. For experienced cloth diapering moms, if you were going to buy any kind of diaper (any brand) which would it be? Why? If money were no object, I mean. Also, what kind/brand of cover. BTW, dh is dead set against prefolds, he doesn't want to have to fold, snappi, or pin anything.
#63 of 96 Old 12-12-2004, 06:40 PM

If money, and more importantly *availability* were no issue, I'd have an entire stash of Berry Patch side-snap fitteds with velour sewn-in quick-dry super-soakers and a bunch of Freshies Fittwraps. The fit and performance on both are absolutely amazing, and they're flawlessly sewn!
#64 of 96 Old 12-12-2004, 08:05 PM

If money was not an issue (yeah right!!!) I'd buy a ton of diapers from www.dreamboatdiapers.wahmbiz.com/ They are my absolute favorites!!!! I love the pocket diapers. Especially these with the fantastic velcro. VELCRO is SOOOOO much better than snaps!!!!!! I can't stress this enough!!! Chloe has been in between snaps and it's not a good fit during that time. (diapers falling off, leaks, etc) I'm talking about fuzzybuns snaps pocket diapers here.

Anyway, good luck and happy CD shopping!!!!!
#65 of 96 Old 12-12-2004, 08:38 PM

dang - I thought I had remembered reading that snaps were better than velco - that's why the samplers that I bought all have snaps...grrrrr....

Can one of you please come over to my place and sort out my system, please?
#66 of 96 Old 12-12-2004, 08:44 PM

Well.. I know some people who have told me their children were houdini's and took the velcro off of themselves quite regularly to run around nekkid. Hence preferring snaps.
#67 of 96 Old 12-12-2004, 08:47 PM

I like snaps better I would always end up forgetting to close the laundry tabs on one or two of the velcro diapers, and then they'd all stick together, and the hook-part would collect lint.....big mess. So it really is a personal preference thing! :LOL
#68 of 96 Old 12-12-2004, 08:57 PM

thanks - I feel better now...still - one of these days I have to figure out which system I am going to go with...not tonight, however...
#69 of 96 Old 12-12-2004, 10:39 PM

Yeah I prefer snaps too - can't stand velcro actually. :LOL You will find everyone has there own personal preferences and it's a trial by fire thing to find what you like best.

Spend some time hanging out on the diaper board and also read all the good stuff here http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=225

Most of all just have fun with it.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#70 of 96 Old 01-05-2005, 06:46 PM

I decided to resurrect this thread... cuz i just inventoried my diapers... keep in mind these are all handmedown, bought on the TP here or on ebay, and a couple of gifts... Also this is pre-shower. I hope to have a much larger stash after this weekend.

Anyway, my question is for the BTDT moms... if this were all you had, what else would you need for full time CDing... though we do plan to do laundry probably daily. (as in worst case, i get no dipes for my showers, and have to go buy more, how much money do i need to find for the shopping)

CPF's - 17 (seem to be assorted thicknesses, no idea what "size" they are)
Small Covers, various types - 6
Small Fuzzibuns with Joeybuns inserts - 5
Small Fitted (a WAHM one from ebay) - 1

Medium AIO - 1
Medium Happy heiny w/Inserts - 2
Medium Covers, various types - 5

Wonderoos (no inserts) - 3

TIA!

Joy
#71 of 96 Old 01-05-2005, 06:58 PM

Joy, I think I'd get about 2 dozen infant prefolds. You'll use them as pocket-diaper stuffers, burp rags, milk-moppers, and the like when you're not using them as diapers. But I really stick to the 3-dozen diapers for the newborn period guideline. Sounds like you're good on covers.
#72 of 96 Old 01-05-2005, 08:37 PM

Joy you need to get some newborn sized covers. Proraps were recommended because they have leg gussets and do good at preventing blow outs from the side. Also, all the CD gurus I have talked to have recommended that I use a wool soaker for overnight and I managed to snag an aristocrat as a part of a large ebay order I bought.

I may not have BTDT but I've gotten a lot of advice and I've been told you need at least 2 doz prefolds so you don't have to do laundry every single day, at least in the beginning when you're recovering and getting used to the new baby.

Now for my questions (which will be x-posted everywhere): What did you do when you were going through the meconium? I bought a bunch of kissaluv's size 0 and I don't want to mess them up too bad. I've heard about inserts, but what is best to use and where can I get this material? Should I just use sposies the first week or so (DH's uncle sent us a big box of them and I don't know what to do with them)?

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

#73 of 96 Old 01-05-2005, 09:05 PM

If you want to use the sposies, do that. Haveing a new baby is alot to adjust to, recouperation, and learning to BF had me nervous that first time. This time I am considering 1 package of sposies, but I have put alot of $$ into my NB stash, so it will hopefully get used pretty soon after being home. I don't think I'm going to worry about the mec. staining. The sun takes out the BF poo stains, so I hope it works on mec., too :crossed

My stash now consists of:

22 KL size 0s
5 KL contours
7 FB XSs w/ inserts
24 preemie PFs (to be used as burp clothes first, but could be used as backups)

2 NB BB covers
1 NB prorap
2 NB BSIWWs
2 NB Bumpy covers

22 FB S w/ inserts
12 infant CPFs (green stitching, dyed by me, and very cute )
3 fitteds (SP, LC, FCB)
3-4 small covers (Bumpy, Rikki, and BSIWW that I know of :LOL )

I also have some doublers, ect. but I am looking for about 12 fleece topped hemp doublers if I can find some fairly cheap. ANy recomendations?
#74 of 96 Old 01-05-2005, 11:35 PM

Shyly, just use cotton flannel - any fabric store will have it. Wash it on hot, dry it, then rip it into rectangles about 8"x12". If you have a way to finish the edges (zigzag on a sewing machine, or a serger), do that, and they can be used as baby wipes later. If you can't finish them, don't worry about it - they'll fray in the wash, but not enough that it will matter too much while you're using them for liners. All you do is lay a flannel cloth inside the diaper, so that it gets pooped on rather than the diaper. Easy.
#75 of 96 Old 01-06-2005, 01:03 AM

If Money were not an issue, I'd stock up on Fuzzi Bunz colors, Angel Wraps and HoneyBoy! diapers. I love to let my DS run naked and this wee one will go naked a lot too. I like cute prints on dipes, but I also must have reliable water proofness. We don't do fitteds with covers or prefolds/covers b/c DH will NOT put a cover over a diaper.
#76 of 96 Old 01-06-2005, 11:40 AM

Thats the other part of my dilemma. Eventually DH will be the stay at home dad, unless a job falls out of the sky for him in the next few months, so i need a system that will be very DH friendly... which is why i was planning pocket dipes, but have been given all these cpf's, etc.
#77 of 96 Old 01-06-2005, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Joy, my dh was nervous about pins and prefolds (not that you have to pin them, but boy does it keep in bf poop!) but got over it quickly. The main thing that caused problems for him and my mother was that I had so many different types of diapering systems going that they got confused and more or less refused to try and figure it out - after washing diapers I was the only one who could pre-assemble or sort them, so that others could use them.
#78 of 96 Old 01-06-2005, 05:57 PM

If money were no issue - I'd get a bunch more Loveybum Organic Velour fitteds - they are soooooo soft and squishy, can't wait to use them. And I would also get some more Tykie fitteds - I got my first Tykie dipe in the other day and it's gorgeous, she did a really beautiful job. As far covers go I'm wool soaker fan so I would get a bunch of wool soakers, I'd like to try some of the wrap around kind.

#79 of 96 Old 01-10-2005, 11:14 AM

Okay, so to my earlier stash... now i've had added...

1 doz UBCPF's - teeny tiny ones, they've gotta be premie or infant
5 doz Flats in 2 different sizes. holy cow.
3 newborn covers... sorta look like prowraps, but they are a different brand
2 small rubber pants
2 small covers
1 small fitted
5 nb kissaluv contours
#80 of 96 Old 01-11-2005, 07:02 PM

Hello. I was wondering what the feeling is on using previously used cloth diapers or covers. Is is sanitary? Are there risks for the baby?

Thanks!! Also - great thread. I'm psyched for CDing!!
#81 of 96 Old 01-11-2005, 08:23 PM

I haven't heard of any sanitary risks involved with used CD. Most of my stash I aquired from my sister and my friend. I would think that so long as they are washed correctly they would be fine. You may want to post this question on the CD section of MDC.

Take care! Enjoy CDing!
#82 of 96 Old 01-11-2005, 10:38 PM

My whole thought on the used cloth dipes is... well, they're going to be pooped in. Do they really need to be brand new? I mean we wash them first, right. I think its fine.
But i'm a HUGE fan of re-using. MOST of my stash is used, to be honest.

And... i have to confess, i just went to BrU and bought a dresser/changing table with gift cards and shower cash.... Not because we needed the changing table persay but because I've run out of storage places for my cloth dipes and want them all in one place.
#83 of 96 Old 01-12-2005, 11:06 AM

I've been asked that before about used diapers and no offense but I don't really get the question... like wtchyhlr said - they are there to be pooped in!!! :LOL I can't see any health issues with using used dipes, if there were then diaper services probably wouldn't be available as those are all used dipes. KWIM?

#84 of 96 Old 01-12-2005, 11:17 AM

Hi -

I just popped over here from the diapering forum (saw thread under 'new posts'). I don't know if this has been suggested as I haven't read the whole thread, but I think you need to get this archived in diapering. There is tonnes of information here!

I am a cd newbie (have a 14 mo daughter), and I have been reading obsessively. There is lots of info right here on this one thread that I've been looking for, even just in the first page! There are lots of newbies who come to diapering (myself included) who ask the 'where do I start?' Well, here is the answer!
#85 of 96 Old 01-17-2005, 01:08 PM

Ok, I'm diving in - this week for sure!

I have decided to go with the wahm who now also has a brick and mortar store. http://www.extraordinarybabyshoppe.com A while back, I ordered a variety of different cds to be able to see/feel them for myself.

I was going to go to http://www.diaper-eez.com/, where Shannon and dh got such excellent customer service, but somehow this weekend the information clicked, and I feel confident going with the options available through my original source, even though she is far away (a 6-hour drive). I may need to drop by Shannon's to get a demo on the folding, but if not, there are people in town I can call (the childbirth educator/doula who ran my prenatal class, the LLL leader..).

So, I will go over some questions I still have with Susie at extraordinarybabyshoppe, but I think this is what I've decided to start with:

2-3 dozen CPF, infant size
2 small aristocrat soakers
4 nb covers - Bummis and/or ProWraps
2 kissaluvs nb

Once babe is here, I will see if I want more of the kissaluvs nb or Wonderoos, for the nb stage.

I will likely wait until babe is bigger for a big investment in fitteds or pockets. Plus, I imagine, larger CPFs. I'll see how the ones I have work. Currently, for trial, I have:
1 Wonderoos one-size pocket
1 kissaluvs fitted size 1 (babies 10-25 lbs)
1 Sugar Peas 2-size diaper, size 1 (Babies 6-20 lbs.)
1 Med Sugar Peas snap-in diaper
1 Med Sugar Peas wool flannel cover (14 - 24 lbs.)
1 Med Sugar Peas wool jersey cover (14 - 24 lbs.)
1 Motherease sample (dipe, cover, doubler)
2 wahm (ecomum) hemp/cotton fitted diapers
4 wahm (ecomum) hemp/cotton CPFs
4 wahm (ecomum) hemp/cotton doublers
2 kissaluvs doublers
#86 of 96 Old 02-07-2005, 09:39 PM

Just thought I'd pop in and tell you all that even though it's only been a couple of days I am just LOVING using fluff on a newborn.

So far the Kissaluvs are my favorite - they are so soft and they fit really well. I also totally love my one Tykie fitted will definetly be getting more of those when I need dipes.

I've only been using a cover at night because he doesn't soak through and I just keep feeling to see if he's wet and change him right away. So far that's worked out great. The only cover I've been using is a Bridget's wool soaker because it's super soft and fits well. A lot of the newborn covers I have are clearly too big even though Max was a big baby (8 lbs, 14 ounces).

Also wanted to share my intense love of cloth wipes - OMG these things totally rock. I've been using a warmer and it's so cute the way Max reacts, he doesn't like being cold so he will start to cry when I take his dipe off but as soon as that warm wipe touches his butt he stops and is all content! :LOL The wipes I have are velour and sherpa - the velour side instantly takes off meconium (not n easy task - that stuff is like plaster).

I will start taking pics of the different dipes to share and will post when it's all set.

#87 of 96 Old 02-07-2005, 10:12 PM

That's funny, I was going to post about what I'm loving too! Kissaluvs still seem pretty huge on Hazel, but she's growing in to them. I'm REALLY feelling the XS Fuzzibunz love. So much that I'm seriously considering going to an all FB stash. Although I have so many other things right now that I need her to outgrow first, I think. Well, I'm currently bidding on a bunch of them, so we'll see what, if anything, I win.
#88 of 96 Old 02-15-2005, 09:24 PM

Oh how I <3 cloth diapering! Those kissaluvs are sooo soft. I'm also enjoying the sugarplum baby. The wool soakers -- beautiful, I hate putting anything on Lucy's bum to cover them Even dh loves them -- he refuses to put her in a disposable!
#89 of 96 Old 02-16-2005, 12:27 AM

Anyone here using Wonderoos on their newborns? I was just curious how they are fitting your babe's tiny bottoms?
#90 of 96 Old 03-15-2005, 08:23 PM

I'm actually a bit frustrated...I have a decent stash of diapers sitting unused while my 3 week old wears disposables...

Not one of the diapers I have fits!! I have infant CPFs with small bummi's whisper (snaps), I have one fuzzi bunz (small) which I can put on him but which is so bulky he lies inverted when he wears it. I have wonderoos which slide right off him and some wahms called "sweet cheeks" which are fitteds with fleece pull on covers. The diapers sort of fit, but the covers are so bulky I can't snap his pants!

Sooo, any suggestions, other than continue to wait for ds to grow?? I didn't buy any newborn diapers because I knew I'd have a baby over 8lbs and most diapers said small would fit...however, he's now over 9lbs and still in disposables. ??? UGH!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page