Mothering Forum banner

Cloth Diapers

12K views 95 replies 27 participants last post by  mehndi mama 
#1 ·
I thought I'd move the cloth diaper talk to its own thread, so it'll be easier to find information again. I know there's probably lots of info elsewhere on the boards,but it's nice to have a conversation about it w/mamas we kind of "know," right?

So... let's see. I cloth diapered right away with my first. I was a bit scared but it turned out to be no big thing. I'm so glad I did - they were a lot cheaper, even with some nice ones, than disposables. We never ran out in the middle of the night. The prefolds have come in handy for other things. They didn't stink like a lot of disposables did. And we found it easier to clean a poopy baby in cloth than plastic - partly because you can use the clean parts of the diaper to wipe the baby's bottom before you use the wipes, and partly because with cloth, more poop ended up on the diaper and less on the baby than with plastic.
-------------------
A couple things to remember starting out:

* It's easiest if you find someone else (a service, dh, or a very very very good friend) to wash the diapers the first month, if you've never tried it before.

* The first couple days of meconium (tar-like poop, excess blood cells? something odd) are nasty. Using disposable liners (available at most online diaper sellers) or disposables at first keep your diapers from getting stained.

* Cloth diapers need a waterproof outer layer or a cover. This sounds basic but some people don't know. The layer can be plastic, PUL, wool, nylon, or fleece. If any of the diaper sticks out from under the cover, pee will wick from the diaper onto the baby's clothes, yuck.
-------------------
A great website: www.diaperpin.com
My website that is a bit out of date but has some info on washing and arranging things and such: http://real.oddfriday.com/Odd%20Frid...aos-index.html and click "diapers" on the left.

--------------
We used cloth wipes. I bought flannel baby blankets at thrift stores and cut them up. Some people hem them but I never bothered. I washed them with the dipes.

I didn't have a wipe warmer because my son didn't react to cold water. I dipped the clean wipes in a dish of water with a couple drops each Dr. Bronner's soap and tea tree oil as I need them.

In the diaper bag I kept zip lock bags, clean wipes, diapers, and a small squeeze bottle of water w/soap and tt oil.
--------------

Dh is giving me evil looks because he just bought some hardware he desperately wants to install.... washing info later (or check my site).

-sofia

See less See more
#2 ·
We use cloth here, too (obviously - I'd be out of business if I didn't!
)
Sofia gave lots of great tips. There is so much out there in cloth diapering than many people realize. You don'd have to use rectangular prefold diapers unless you want to. You don't have to use pins unless you want to. (I do both ocasionally
) Vinyl pants are the bottom of the totem-pole as far as diaper covers are concerned. There's just so many better options available today!
I have a site that tells you how to make a full stash of nice fitted diapers and wool covers for about $35....but I'll have to wait for someone else to post the link as I am not allowed (it has links to my business on it). But the info & diaper pattern are free

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions about cloth (cloth anything, actually - in additon to diapers, we use cloth hankies, napkins, cleanup towels, baby wipes, and toilet-paper alternative, and I use cloth for postpartum & menstrual pads, too.) - just let me know. I've been doing this cloth diapering gig off & on for the last 12 years
A lot has changed, even in the last 5 years!

#3 ·
We cloth diaper. I have two in diapers currently, and it saves us a bundle! (Angelo is wearing diapers that Emilio outgrew). I have tried lots and lots of this and that... love bizzybeehive probably the best though. Have even found some sources in my own hometown! I am often found on the diapering forum...

#4 ·
Okay, I am glad this thread is here... HELP!! I have not CD before but really would like to with this baby. But I have NO clue where to start!! DH really is NOT interested and thinks I am crazy for even considering it!!
But... owell. I still want to. He'll catch on. I just need simple... very, very simple!! Simple enough that DH will be willing to change them!!
So here are my ??'s.

What should I use? I have heard so many different opinions.

How many of each size do I need? My babies are between 8-9 lbs.

What is best to wash them in?

Some websites you love that I could research??

TIA... I think you ladies can help me a lot. I would like to start my stash now so that is what I have when the baby arrives. Then DH will just have to deal.

#5 ·
Here's the run-down...

There are two schools of thought on cding- those that do it for economic reasons, and those that do it for other reasons (solely) such as health, environment, etc.

If you are cding for economy reasons, most people recommend Chinese prefolds. They come in separate sizes and are folded and layed into wrap type covers, or they can be snappid/pinned and used in pull on type covers. Most people agree you need 12 diapers and 2 covers per day. If you want to wash every 3 days that would be 36 diapers per size. Another economic choice is buying one size fitted or pocket diapers. My experience is, though, they don't fit as well on tiny tiny babies and large toddlers. But they can fit well for over a year inbetween...

The other route includes a larger variety of choices. You can get all in one diapers (aios with PUL or WIO with wool) or pocket diapers that have the diaper and cover combined. These are very versatile and easy to use. They are spendier, but can come in a wider variety of fabrics/colors/embroidery. You still would need 36 per size.

Most parents, I think, use a little of each, and use pockets or aios out of the house for example, and prefolds at home...

Washing is pretty easy. Use little detergent. Hang dry aios and covers as often as possible. (they last longer). Use bleach sparingly if at all. (hanging in the sun can whiten diapers). Some people use sportswash instead of detergent, and wool needs to be handwashed.

I think that is a pretty accurate rundown. Have fun looking around, you will find lots of links in the diapering forum...

#6 ·
AmBam - if DH isn't willing to do some work on the CD side of life, you are best off having a service drop off clean prefolds every week. Then you just wrap em in a diaper wrap (wool, plastic, fleece, etc.) and you are golden! I did have a dh willing to do the diaper laundry each week, it's a heavy load because it's a big bucket with lid filled 2/3rds with water and vignegar. We washed using regular 7th gen soap, which is pretty mild. Baby #1 never had any reactions, we'll see come winter about baby #2. I used mostly all-in-ones (aio's) and loved them, just a little simpler overall for me. The aio's are more expensive to buy initially, and not too many services will deliver/wash them. I do know a few people wash their own prefolds, too, but it's quite a bit of work without any help. There are loads of cd sites, although most are selling, not giving away information. Depending on where you are, you may be able to go to a store that sells cloth diape's and hit the people there up for a ton of info. That's how I learned it all in the first. Good Luck!!! Welcome to the we love our baby's butts club, 'cause my little stinker NEVER had a diaper rash and she's in 1st grade now! Don't know too many plastic diaper mommies who can say that!

#7 ·
I think, if I were going to start with an all-new stash of diapers that I would be sure DH & grandma's would use, I'd do prefolds with pocket diapers. Most pocket users have Fuzzi Bunz or Happy Heineys, but there are lots of other pockets, too. The pockets can be stuffed with the prefolds.
I wouldn't expect any help with the washing or folding, and you'll have to do the pocket stuffing yourself, but once they're all put together, they're as easy to use as AIO's, but they last longer, wash cleaner, and dry faster.

If it means anything to you, take this into consideration - when I had Davey stay the weekend with my mother, I left her a pile of diapers for him. Half of them were AIO's or prestuffed pockets. Half of the pocket/AIO's were snap-closure, and half were velcro or aplix or whatever.
When I came home, NONE of the fitted diapers that needed a cover had been used. He was wearing a snap-on pocket diaper. When I emptied the dirties bag, the velcro diapers were all in the bottom.
So, that tells me that grandmas and aunties prefer velcro all-in-ones if given a choice

#8 ·
I forgot to add website links!
These are free sites, they're not selling anything (except directory memberships for WAHMs) - all the info is the best of their knowledge, and totally free.

www.thediaperhyena.com
www.diaperpin.com

Also, about washing:
I wash our diapers (and other cloth stuff) myself. I think I do 2-3 loads per week (this includes cleaning rags and bathroom wipes as well as diapers). Everything goes into a "dry pail" (no soaking water, vinegar, bleach, or any of that stuff) with a layer of baking soda in the bottom & a few drops of lavender oil to deodorize a bit, and a tight-fitting lid on top.
A diaper-pail full is about 2/3 of an extra-large load, so I keep 2 pails - one in the bathroom for wipes and messies, and one by the bed for wets (our bed doubles as a changing area).
Once a load needs to be washed, I just dump them into the washer (not heavy at all, because there is no soak water to deal with,) put in a half-cup of detergent, and wash on warm or cold for te longest cycle. Once that has run completely, I throw in a half-cup of baking soda, and run another long wash cycle on hot. (If you open the lid of the machine while it's been agitating a bit on the hot wash, you'll see plenty of suds. That baking soda is getting all the extra detergent out!)
Then dry in the dryer. If any diapers have stains, I can put them out in the sun for a couple hours, and that usually does the trick - no bleach needed.

#9 ·
Okay, more info from me.
Dh was a little nervous about using cloth, but I even got him using pins eventually. I was determined to use them, and got most of my info online (googling "cloth diapers"). We used a service the first couple of months. It was nice to ease into it that way, but it limited our options more (they give you prefolds only usually, and mine started using ones that weren't very soft) and once we started washing them... we thought it was no big deal. Partly because we were both willing to wash, so it split the load, and partly because we use a simple routine (no wet pail).

----------
Cost
---------
As someone mentioned, the cheapest option is usually prefolds with the cheaper covers (like Dappi, that I think you can buy at Babies R Us even. Hated the Gerber though, nasty stiff things). If you don't pin, they're very easy to use, too - fold the diaper in thirds lengthwise, fold the front in a little bit to make it fit, and put it in the cover. The covers are roughtly the same shape as a disposable and use either velcro or snaps to fasten so if you pre-load a couple with folded diapers they really are as easy as disposables. You can pre-prepare some to ease reluctant partners into it. And as I said earlier, I found poop easier to clean off the baby with cloth.

I bought most of my cool AIO (all in one), fitteds, and pockets used, so they were a lot cheaper. Ebay has a thriving cloth diaper section. There's also orangestarfish.com and a couple forums that sell mama things. And a lot of independent online retailers sell seconds cheaper. I found some at children's resale shops and even thrift stores.

------------
How many
---------
Covers do not have to be washed every time they are used (unlike diapers or AIO (all in ones) or pockets). If they get poop on them, or start smelling like pee, obviously you wash them, but usually you can just hang them on a dresser drawer or somewhere to air out between uses. 3 covers is probably the minumum. I liked having 5 and LOVED having 8, so I could keep one ready in the diaper bag and a bunch ready on the changing table.

As I think someone else mentioned, to calculate how many diapers you need, decide how often to wash diapers. Most people settle for every 2 or 3 days. Then figure how many diapers the babies use at their age - newborns go though an amazing number, a dozen a day easy, so for little ones get 3 dozen or figure on washing more often.

I think it's best not to get too many of the small or xsmall covers or fitteds since most babies out grow them so quickly. Prefolds last longer, especially if you're willing to pin.

-------------
Ease
-----------
AIOs are easiest, since they're like disposables except you can wash them. You don't have to prepare them as they're one whole thing, the absorbant part and the waterproof part (at most you'll have to snap the inner part in after washing). They fasten like disposables, with velcro or snaps. You use them once and then toss them in the pail.
Pockets are almost as easy to use - you just have to stuff the absorbant material in first (prefolds, special inserts, whatever).

But they cost more. And you have to buy as many of them as you would fitteds or prefolds since they must be washed after every use. But they are good for the diaper phobic and when you have limited time/space, so I like a couple to send when my MIL takes the baby or just to keep in the diaper bag. Or for the middle of the night.

--------
Extras
-----------
Doublers: doublers are your friend. They're small oblongs or flared rectangles made of diaper material that you put on top of a prefold or inside a fitted or AIO, against the baby, to add absorbancy. They can sometimes be used instead of a diaper for newborns. Lots of diaper sites sell them, but they're easy to make - just sew together a couple layers of flannel (old sheets, nightgowns) or hemp. You can control absorbancy with them, and make the small prefolds last longer.

Fleece and fake suede: these are non-natural fabrics but oh so useful. They wick the pee away from the baby and into the diaper, so the baby feels dry. Many AIO and pockets offer a layer of fleece against the baby's skin. I went to thrift stores and bought cheap ugly fleece jackets and cut them in the shape of doublers and used them on top of the prefolds, and when I made doublers I used fleece as the top layer. Bonus - you don't have to hem fleece, because it doesn't unravel. Double bonus - the better fleeces (with smaller nubs) release poop nicely. A well formed poop rolls right off fleece and into the toilet.

Silk: If you don't do non-natural fabric, silk is a good option as an occasional liner instead of fleece and suede. It doesn't feel dry the same way, but it does an amazing job of preventing or healing diaper rash (ds had yeast issues early on). Again, you can find silk clothes at thrift stores to cut up.

--------
Diaper Pail
----------
I used a steel foot-pedal trash can (and a waterproof bag) because I'm paranoid about smell and they seal well. But in general they didn't smell much. Once ds started eating solids, I started separating wet and poopy diapers.
The wet diaper pail is in ds's room. I shake a couple drops of tea tree or lavender oil in the pail once a day (I think you're supposed to put it on a wipe and put that in the pail, but I was lazy). His room never smelled bad.
I have a little pail in the bathroom for poopy diapers. We shake the poop into the toilet, and dip the worst of it if necessary, then dump it in the little pail. I'm told the dipping is unnecessary. Then put a little BioCleen Bact-Out (bought at the local crunchy granola store) on the messy part of the diaper. It's an enzyme cleaner and helps with the odor and staining. Our bathroom doesn't stink. In fact, the poopy pail smells better than the wet pail.

--------
Washing
---------
The dreaded washing.
The main thing is: Washing diapers is much like washing anything else, though it's stinkier as you stuff it in the washer.

A couple things to remember, though.

1) hot water sets protein stains, like poop, so poopy diapers should be washed or pre-washed in cold first.
2) soap causes buildup and then less absorbancy so detergent is better. I tend to use whatever we use for our clothes (we mostly use a gentle/natural concentrated type detergent. But sometimes we use All or Tide. Never noticed a big difference).
3) fleece and hemp can really retain smells, so using baking soda/vinegar and dawn dishwashing detergent occasionally helps.
4) some diapers have special requirements. For example, Little Lambs AIOs say not to wash in "free and clear" type detergents, becaue they cause build up. I never noticed a problem with other diapers, but it's true my LL's started wicking after a month or so of being washed in All. A wash with Dawn added took care of it. Also, see wool information below.
5) Covers can be washed with diapers, except wool ones, but you should fold over any velcro to minimize snags. Also, when I only had a couple covers I tended to wash them in the sink so I wouldn't have to wait for them.

So... a general routine we followed:
1. Change the diaper.
2. Wet ones go straight to the main pail.
3. Poopy diapers we shake out over the toilet and swish them some. My mom rinses them pretty thoroughly. I'm not so diligent. Dh even less so.
4. Rinsed poopy diapers get a squirt Bac-Out and go in the small pail.
5. After a couple days (when they start to overflow from the poopy pail), we wash the poopy diapers with detergent in cold water on a short cycle.
6. Then we add the wet-only diapers and wipes and wash in hot/cold.

Some people use just a cold rinse for the poopy diapers instead of doing a double wash.

Eventually I bought a modern washing machine and started adding baking soda with the detergent and vinegar in the rinse cycle. It made things a little fresher, but wasn't necessary.

I have a lot of fleece and hemp, so every couple washes I add a squirt of Dawn dishwashing detergent to the wash and do a double rinse and it keeps them smelling good.

Drying:
I use a dryer for the diapers, but that's partly because I have a construction zone instead of a yard with a clothes line. Many covers and AIOs (and my pail liner) should be air dried to protect the waterproofing. Even ones that don't say you have to air dry them will last longer if you do.

----------
Wool
---------
I came late to wool because it sounded scary and hard, but I'm a convert. It holds the wetness very well, but lets the baby butt breathe.

The trick is that wool is more of a pain to wash, in general. I wash mine in the sink in lukewarm water (or on the handwash cycle on my washer) with a woolwash I make myself. I heat up water, squeeze some lanolin (that I got for my nipples for early breastfeeding) in to disolve it, then add a little Dr. Bronner's type lavendar soap and add it all to the wash. But you can buy wool wash that would make life easier, no doubt.

Night diapers are so bulky if you have a heavy wetter that I had trouble with stretched out pajama bottoms with ds in the winter. So I made him wool diaper pants (called soaker pants). In other words, the diaper cover was also his pajama bottoms.

I'm not much of a sewer (though I'm reasonably crafty) and I could make a pair of pants easily in one evening, hand sewing. This is what I did:
1) Bought a largish cashmere sweater at a thrift store.
2) Washed it on hot to shrink/felt it some.
3) Cut off the sleeves along the seam (ithe seam is at an angle) to use as legs.
4) Cut an equilateral triangle from the front of the sweater, with the ribbed collar as the base of the triangle, to use as half the waist/crotch of the pants.
5) Cut an indentical triangle from the back of the sweater.
6) Sewed the edges of the bases of the triangles together (couple stiches), so the collar of the sweater was now the waistband of the pants. The waistband has a triangle hanging down on the front and back.
7) Sewed the points of the triangles together. This is the crotch of the pants.
8) Sewed one sleeve to each of the newly created openings as the legs. Since I had a cuffed sweater, the ankles were snug and could be rolled up.
9) Folded over the waistband and sewed it down to make a space for elastic.
10) Threaded the elastic in and sewed it together.

Okay, I hope that wasn't too confusing. Hard without pictures.
-------------
Information overload? sorry.
Questions? ask away!

#10 ·
Wow, I just gotta say, you pros are just awesome!!!! I'm so excited now!!!
I think the plan at the moment is to have a service for the first little bit, then buy cute fitted dipes (or get brave like Stell and attempt to make them!) once she is grown out of the newborn tiny sizes.
thanks so much you guys!

#11 ·
Thanks ladies, for all the info. You guys are loaded with info. It's great. I really appreciate it!!

I don't have a diaper service in my area so that is out of the question. But my mom will be lots of help the first couple of weeks so I am not worried about that. I was super excited to hear I don't have to have a wet pail.

I am going with easy and am willing to spend a little more money. I am thinking the pockets. You don't use a cover with those, right?? Or do you?? How do you feel about fuzzibunz and happyheinys. I have heard those two names a lot. I am going to keep bugging you guys about this so hope you don't mind.

Also Stell you mentioned something about a link that you couldn't post because it had your business in it. I am interested. How do i get it if you can't post it??

Thanks so much ladies. I'll be back!!!

#12 ·
I think there is some kind of rule about advertising, which means Stell cannot post her business url, but others can. It's here: http://www.fernandfaerie.com/ Did I get that right?

Also, if you go the diaper pin site, they have reviews - it helped me in narrowing down which ones I'm going to try out. Also, just chatting with one of the diaper store home business moms helped me a lot.

Thanks SO much for all the info, everyone! I plan to go through this thread with dh.

#13 ·
Pockets are a type of cover, so no, you don't need another cover for them. They are probably the easiest to use (as someone else pointed out, they're as easy as AIOs once you stuff them, but they dry a lot better).

Fuzzi bunz are great, but a lot of WAHM made pockets are fine too.
------------

I'm curious what others think, but personally, though I want to like them, fitteds aren't good for us. They take longer to put on than folding something into a cover (at least the snap kind) and tend to be a little bulkier. So prefolds or inserts in a cover, AIOs, pockets, were faster for us. Pinned prefolds were as fast and had a slightly better custom fit. The main thing with fitteds is they're so darn cute. I just bought a couple hemp ones and I'm thinking I shoudn't keep them... but they're so cute...
----------

Also, I forgot to throw in a plug for fleece covers - they breathe like wool but they're easy to wash. A lot of them are too bulky but some are quite slim.

- sofia
against my will I became.... a cloth diaper geek!

#14 ·
I'm a fitted kind of gal. I tired AIOs and pockets and they weren't my thing. The AIOs were too bulky and took too long to dry and once I got into fitteds and wool I couldn't get the pockets thing. The benefit that I like of doing the seperate fitted and wool cover is that the cover can be reused several times without needing to be washed.

I wasn't going to buy any newborn dipes as I tend to have big babies but I had a moment of weakness the other day and ordered two dozen Kissaluvs size zero from the outlet site! :LOL Can't wait to get them.

Kitty

#15 ·
I would be cd'ing, but we don't yet. I learned of it when I was pg with my youngest, but we had so many left over sposies that we just used those. I am in the process of getting my stash for my two young kiddos going and I will, before the new babe is born, buy the other stash.

I have just ordered unbleached cpf, and one wool soaker. Thank you mamas for this thread, the info could not come at a more appropriate time. I think that I am going to use pockets
: do I need to use covers with those, though? Are AIOs the only diapers that don't need covers?

Also, what is the best diaper bag? When answering, keep in mind that I will need one to accomodate *3* kids diapers, newborn outfit, snacks, my wallet and stuff, my water, kids water, wipes, and anything else that I can't think of right now. I can see just from my list that I am going to need a new bag :LOL.

TIA, ladies!!

#16 ·
We cloth dipe too. I used to have a business, but it's closed now. I have loads of dipes from different sources, but have to get NB/SM dipes b/c we didn't start using cloth until DS was 1.

I am looking forward to a whole stash of new dipes.

I dont' have any issues with washing dipes either. I do hope for a toilet sprayer this time. I REALLY want one. I don't dunk now, but I'd use a sprayer if I had it.

#17 ·
Emily - I use a backpack for a diaper bag. I can't fit everything I need to in a diaper bag (too many compartments, not enough space!)...not to mention that the ones I can afford are pink, puffy & plastic with bunnies & bottles on them!
(Do you see those in stores? I never know whether to throw up or laugh hysterically when I see those things! :LOL)
I had a Lands End diaper bag when Ian was a baby (grandma gift
), and it was certainly nice compared to other diaper bags....but it always wanted to fall off my shoulder whenever I carried it & Ian at the same time. I like a backpack so much better! I have a bookbag-size one for everyday, and a huge one with a hip-belt on it for when I have to pack stuff for everyone.

About pockets & covers - most pocket diapers are glorified diaper covers that you stuff full of absorbent diapering material to make them into an AIO. If it just says it's a pocket diaper, that's the kind you'll get, and you don't need a separate cover over those.
There is such a thing as a pocket fitted, though, and those need a cover. Pocket fitteds are made mainly for their quick-dry & adjustable absorbency properties. If it says pocket fitted, you need a separate cover over it.

#20 ·
I completely agree with sophia about prefolds and pocket diapers. I love fitteds for the cuteness of them, and I have several of Stell's recycled dipes which I used mostly without a cover and love. But when combining with clothes, fitteds and covers get bulky (of course this experience was diapering a boy, girls and dresses are another matter. . .sigh). Pocket diapers are so trim, and prefolds folded into a cover are easy and pretty trim too, not to mention versatile. The best bang for your buck is def. prefolds. Though, it is just soooooooo hard to resist all the yummy wool and cute fitteds to go with them. And then there are the ebroidered/appliqued/decorated AIOs and covers. I could so be a hyena if I didn't reign myself in. I am trying to stick with the basics for this baby and not get too crazy. We shall see. It is really hard to resist the cute girl stuff. . . .

One side note, for a newborn fitteds are great for containing the explosive bf poos. Prefolds don't keep them off the covers well (so then you have to have lots of covers), and pockets will leak under real stress, so for this reason, I will be using several kissaluvs early on. Anyway, that is just my experience.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by coopsmama
One side note, for a newborn fitteds are great for containing the explosive bf poos. Prefolds don't keep them off the covers well (so then you have to have lots of covers), and pockets will leak under real stress, so for this reason, I will be using several kissaluvs early on.
Amen. And for newborn poop, I suggest making sure your covers have leg gussets.

#22 ·
I got two dozen Kissaluvs size zero in from the outlet store yesterday - they are soooooooooo soft and yummy!!!

Can't wait to start using them on our newest little pumpkin. Half of them are natural color and then the rest are 6 blue and 6 yellow. We don't know if we are having a boy or girl so this is perfect (I was afraid I might get all pink or something, hehehehe.)

I wasn't planning on getting too many newborn dipes as I usually have pretty big babies but I had already done all my next size up shopping and I couldn't resist the look of Kissaluvs on a newborn

#23 ·
Kissaluv 0s are great for any newborn, IMO. It seems that even the biggest babies have weency bottoms. They are all head and shoulders. In fact, my son outgrew his because of absorbancy issues before he outgrew them size wise. These will be a big purchase for us to round out what we already have. Isn't it exciting!!!

#24 ·
Oh yay, diaper talks!!!! I'm certifiably obsessed with cloth diapers now. With my first daughter, we did a sort of half and half but I was a single mom with NO help and no washer and dryer. I wanted so badly to go cloth but couldn't afford the up-front costs. Now that I'm married and a sahm, I'm OBSESSED!! I take out my diapers once a day or so to look at them and play with them and pack them up again(nesting anyone???).
OKay for this little one I have a mix of sugarpeas, fuzzibunz, homemade stuff(mine), and infant prefolds. For covers I have Proraps mostly and one Bummis. I am hoping to be able to save enough for a few Kissaluvs 0's. We are in a real money crunch right now. But I love the trading post here on mothering. That's where I got a few wool covers and ebay got me some sugarpeas. I religiously search both the tp and ebay for used stuff. I sewed all my own liners and doublers to save money because it's just so easy. I've made about 6 pocket-style diapers so far and plan on making some more as soon as we can afford more fabric. He he he, I've even cut up old clothing of mine, dh's, and dd's to save some money on fabric. But I do so love the ease of fuzzibunz and the softness of sugarpeas!!!!!
Meg
Oooooh, by the way, www.littlesproutsdiapers.com and www.kellyscloset.com have free shipping on ALL orders(if you plan on using big name diapers instead of wahm). Pretty decent prices too. I should know, I've been to hundreds of diaper sites to compare prices. I have a notebook full of them!

#26 ·
I can't wait to see pictures of all our little babies in these cool cloth diapers

I'm currently obsessed with learning how to crochet. I actually finished 3 rows the other day and am very proud of myself. My stitches are still too tightly woven and I'm finding that to be my biggest challenge...looser stitches!

Why am I obsessed with learning to crochet you ask? I want a wool diaper cover and I want to make them myself. :LOL I figure if I can make a crochet one, I may be able to learn how to knit and make knitted ones eventually

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.