Feb. Mama's chat thread, Nov. 14-21 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-17-2004, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone. wow - I know I can't repsond to everyone, but I will try....

Great to hear the good news, Shannon! Go, Molly!

Sofia - so sorry to hear about the cavity woes. Not much helpful advice here, but plenty of s.

Kate - I haven't had any BH, either. One time I had wicked cramps, but, um..a trip to the washroom took care of that... It happened when I had just arrived home from work, and my mom called, so dh took the call, and he told her I was cramping... wrong thing to share with a worrywart!! I did call her right back and told it was GI, and solved by a BM, but still the next several times she called, she would ask in a worried voice if everyting was ok, that we had her so worried...I tried reassuring her, I mean - it was quickly confirmed that it was me having to go the bathroom, but no, in her brain, the worry moment sticks...she thrives on worry, I swear!

no linea negra here, and I am olive-skinned...we shall see...

Peri - trust your gut on the yoga. Personally, I have been loving it. It works for me, and my body, but I also love my instructor. She always stresses that it shouldn't hurt. She shows people alternative poses, etc, for those experiencing difficulties.

woolfairy - drag about the car seat foam...

leta - so sorry to hear your news.

Must get back to work, please I NEED a snack...take care, everyone, and belly rubs to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2004, 04:10 PM

I have a question for all of you. Are any of you experiencing pain around your sternum and the base of your upper ribs? I can't figure out if it's my ribs spreading, the baby getting under them, or my muscles moving around. I have noticed that my upper abdominal muscles have moved up and out. Just wondering...it's really wierd.

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

Old 11-17-2004, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyly
Are any of you experiencing pain around your sternum and the base of your upper ribs? I can't figure out if it's my ribs spreading, the baby getting under them, or my muscles moving around.
When pregnant with ds, I had that pain. I had just checked to see if I needed bras with a bigger chest measurement, and had been at 32 inches. After a week of pain, I was at 38 inches. So... if you're short torsoed like I am, it's quite possible your ribs are spreading. Mine did six inches in a week, gah! Hasn't happened yet this time but I've no douibt it will.

---------

About the teeth - thank you all for your sympathy. I'm still not sure what to do but I'm not quite as... freaked. The reason i don't want to leave it is because baby molars stay for 9-12 years, and problems with them can lead to problems with the permanent teeth behind them. Plus pain. But it might be better to coax them along for long enough to avoid GA even if it means bigger fillings... *sigh* ok, freaked again!
Old 11-17-2004, 04:56 PM
tug

monica - i had it a little bit with my first, but not with this one. i feel like i'm carrying this one much lower and have been told that because all the abdominal muscles are looser, you do generally carry the second one lower.

i had a friend who had the sternum pain really horribly with her first.

sofia, six inches!! ouch!!!

terenia
Old 11-17-2004, 05:41 PM

No pain here, Monica, but I went up 2 bra sizes (= 4 inches) months ago, it seems...sorry to hear you're in pain.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:10 PM

Monica - sorry you are having that pain. I had it horribly with my second born - my OB suspected if was the baby's hand getting up under my ribs and told me to hold my arms over my head then reach them back down a few times when the pain struck to try and encourage the baby to move. Sometimes it would work - sometimes it wouldn't. Seems once the baby enjoys the hand being up there they tend to hang out in that area all the time! It's worth a shot for you to try.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:13 PM

Sofia! SIX INCHES!!!! OMG!!! Please tell me you shrank back down afterwards....

Thanks for all the advice. I'll definitely try the stretching Kitty...I kind of think that a hand is part of the problem because it feels like something's probing around in there.

Old 11-17-2004, 06:29 PM

Monica, I've had that pain in my chest as well, at times it feels like when I've had broken ribs (too many years of playing full contact hockey) but it does settle down if I stretch, I also find if I get down on my hands and knees and arch my back it moves her away from my ribs.
Well, I've been on the couch pretty much all day, woke up because some insurance guy was taking pictures of my house--which of course had all 8 daycare dogs barking up a storm.
Well, since I've been sleeping all day and not drinking anything, I really need some water to settle down these contractions--and perhaps some food.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Monica, I've had some rib/chest achyness as well. Not fun! But so far, I'm still the same measurement around that I was before (I know because I just measured myself for bras-can we get a drum roll here? 32F!!).

Shannon, drink your water!! I'm almost certain that was why I ended up having to go the hospital the other night.

Heve, 4 inches! Sofia 6 inches! Do you both feel like you're carrying high? I wonder why my ribs are still the same as before...my last pregnancy I went up one band size, but not until right near the end. maybe this time too?

Sofia, No advice on the cavities, but a big hug for you and DS. My dd is going to the dentist in a couple of weeks, and now I'm nervous!

Joy, I looked at your adorable belly, and also the nursery. I LOVE it!!! The walls in our daughter's room are textured, so we could only paint them a color, not a mural or anything. Anyway, I think the fishes are great, and I look forward to seeing the finished Horton. And can I just say that I'm in awe of your embroidery skills? Holy cow!

Which makes me realize, do you think we're getting close enough to Feb. that we could start thinking about a pampering our future babies thread? I'm sure there are mamas out there that are crafty, or those (like me) who know how to go online and order things Anyway, I don't think poor Shannon should have to organize this again. How many people would be interested in participating?

On the linea nigra thing, I'm also fairly dark skinned (olive) and dark brown hair. They do say that darker women often get more prominent lineas. Mine has worked it's way above the belly button now too.

For those of you with no BH contractions, My first pregnancy, I didn't have them (or maybe just didn't feel them) at all. Not one. My first contraction that I felt wasn't until about 4-5 hours after my water broke. It is really weird to me that I'm having a bunch of them this time! So glad they're not making cervical changes though, whew.

Questions for you hypnobabies moms-#1 Where are you in the process? Have you been good and doing the scripts every day since you got the program? I did for a week, then slacked off, and now I'm starting up again. I'm on class/week 2, learning the finger drop technique and deepening hypnosis.

#2 Do any of you have partners and other children and are having a hard time finding time for your partner to listen to the CD's with you? We're going nuts trying to find an hour a week for him to listen to each CD with me.

#3 Do any of you fall asleep during the CD's? I know it says that you might be so deeply relaxed you will feel as if you are sleeping, and maybe that is what is happening, but there are parts of the CD I don't remember! Like today, I did the learning hypnosis one, and I got up to the part where I was creating anesthesia, and creating a lightswtich, and the next thing I remember it is telling me that if I haven't turned my lightswitch back on, to do so now. So I did, but I think I may have dozed off for about 10 min. I'm glad I'm getting relaxed, but I don't want to miss anything important! I'm going to try sitting up I think.

Anyway, that's all. My daughter decided that she didn't want to go to preschool this morning, and at first she had a huge tantrum and yelled at me and got destructive, and I'm sorry to say I yelled back a little. However, after much calming and nursing and mutual apologies, we ended up having a really nice day together. I'm almost glad she stayed home. I wish she could have told me why she wanted to be home today, she couldn't explain it to me. She told me that she wants to go to Montessori tomorrow, so I don't think it is a problem with school. Maybe it is just so many changes all at once, especially with her daddy going to work. I know that must be hard for her. Poor peanut, I feel so badly I yelled at her. I must give her extra hugs when she wakes up from her nap.

Okay, have a great day everyone!
Old 11-17-2004, 11:40 PM

on Lousli's idea for a "pampering our babies" thread. ok, i'm off to start one. Can't wait.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:10 AM

I third the Pampering our Babies thread...

And I raise you an online blessingway kinda thing.... Specifically, I know that I at least am planning on making a birthing necklace, and would love to include you guys in it, because I really don't know how I would've gotten thru this at least semi sane without having this group to compare symptoms with, vent at, etc. So I will go start a thread about it and see who wants to play...

Lousli... thanks... I'm having such a good time with the painting and the embroidering. Its funny, I'm so jealous of all you mama's who knit, because I never could get the hang of that. But Embroidery, I've been doing since I was about 8, so its my fun way to keep my hands occupied while watching TV, or at MIL's, etc.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:15 AM

Thanks Peri, Lesley and Joy for getting things rolling with the latest exchanges.
I just had to share, I had a bath and while it was lovely, I noticed this new and rather strange stretch mark (I assume) it is above my belly button but is really deep--almost like it's being pulled from the inside--sorta looks like a second belly button (like I need 2)
Anyone have any ideas as to what this actually is???
Old 11-18-2004, 11:49 AM
tug

shannon - i think i read somewhere about the abdominal muscles coming apart like that or something...pretty weird!

lousli - i bet you're right about her just adjusting to all of the changes. i'm glad you had a nice day after all!

i had something similar yesterday evening with my dad. we were going out for dinner 'cause dh was gone at a departmental dinner thing and this issue came up about something that he couldn't do yesterday because of a legal thing from a while ago (bank wouldn't cash a check to him and my mom because my mom died 7 yrs ago and no probate/estate thing was ever done). he didn't understand what the problem was and was ignoring/not understanding my explanation and kept talking about how stupid the bank was and how they were stealing his money and that he was going to move back to virginia, so i yelled at him about how the bank was doing the right and the legal thing even if it was a pain in the neck and he should stop being so ridiculous. well, he was upset and james was upset (he just kept saying "oona mama" which is what he calls me) and i felt sooooo bad. still, we agreed to stop talking about it and had a pretty good dinner. still again, i felt (and still feel) like a creep. who the heck yells at their dad with alzheimer's because he can't understand something? ugh.

anyway, hope everybody has a good day and and that the babe's keep their hands out of the rib cage (ouch!).

terenia
Old 11-18-2004, 01:07 PM

Holy cow! I just read this thread and now I have to motivate or I'll never get to my "to do" list for today...

Peri, definitely listen to your body. I haven't been much into yoga since I became pregnant, so I've been doing a lot of breathing and meditation instead.

Sofia, I would get a second opinion about the teeth...your dentist has only posed one option and there may be others...good luck figuring it out!

I'm glad you all seem well. I too, have had a rugged week with a lot of crying. It freaked me out a bit on Monday because I always have to assess my emotions to make sure I'm not getting depressed. I was feeling really overwhelmed and weepy. Poor dh couldn't do anything right and I felt even worse for that! It passed, thank God, and I realized it's probably just hormones. I'm trying to be nice to myself, even when I'm crabby and take it out on my family-

Be well, all. susan
Old 11-18-2004, 01:34 PM

Good morning.

Terenia, I'm sorry about your dad. Don't feel too bad, I'm sure your dad yelled at you plenty when you were young and frustrating.

Sofia - you still haven't answered my question. Please tell me your ribs went back down to normal size after they spread six inches. I measured myself today and I realized that I've grown 3 inches! I had a 28" rib cage and now I'm up to 31"!! No wonder none of my bras fit.

My regular bug guy came and sprayed the house this morning. He's the greatest...it's like having grandpa come over to visit. I was so upset when he stopped working (past two months) and was very unhappy with his replacement. His replacement made some very inappropriate comments to me about how I was pretty and the perfect woman and all kinds of other crap and I called and complained. DH told me I was overreacting, but I found out today that I was not the only person who called and complained...so I feel a little better. Plus, I have my regular bug guy (Carey) back and he's so nice.

Anyways, can you tell I don't get out very often now? LOL. It's cold and ucky outside...perfect snuggle up with a book and kitty under the warm feather blanket weather...but alas I have to go shopping for Thanksgiving supplies. We're having a big dinner and we're going to go down to the barracks and round up all the depressed single soldiers we can find and bring them here for dinner. We usually do it for christmas (we'll be out of town this year) and it's always a blast.

Well since I've written my typical chapter I'll leave for now. I'm on the look out for some vegetarian recipe ideas for one of the guys we've invited. He's vegetarian (no meat only) and I can only think of a few things to make that are thanksgiving appropriate. I may just break down and make my artichoke soup...mmm...drool...I've been dying for it.

Old 11-18-2004, 02:02 PM

Hi all. Just back from my 28 week check-up (well, actually I'm only 27+3) with my midwife. Dh went this time too - his first time to see the midwife since I switched from my OB. He was impressed. I think he thought it was going to be a stereotypical hippie chanting incantations while mixing some herbs together with her mortar and pestle. He made some comment like, "wow she seemed to know what she was doing" to which I just cracked up laughing. He's a good sport at least.

At first when I dipped my urine I had +1 reading for protein but they said that's common for early morning urine. I re-dipped an hour later and it was Neg. Phew.. BP 100/60. Also, I had that LOVELY glucose tolerance test today. I ate 3 scrambled eggs and 1 chunk of cheese, and then IMMEDIATELY following drank my Glucola. (I brought it home at the 24 week check-up which made life a lot easier.) Technically the whole high-protein breakfast thing is legit, and as I've said before, this will actually give me a VERY accurate reading as to how well my body is handling blood sugar on a daily basis since I never eat 50g of sugar for breakfast alone, kwim? If this one's high, then I would probably be a lot firmer about cutting out all sugar and refined carbs, and just sticking to the healthy stuff. They also ran a CBC and also a thyroid panel b/c I never got that done last time. I get results back for all of them tomorrow. : In my last pregnancy I failed the 1 hr and that 3hr test was the worst thing ever. I was wrecked for like 2 days afterwards.

Baby HR 140-150 which is where it usually is. And I'm measuring 29cm (29 weeks) which is only 1.5 weeks off -- she said they only raise an eyebrow at 2 weeks off, and even then they probably wouldn't worry about it for someone like me with a family history of big babies unless it was really way off.

Told her about continuing BH. She seemed sort-of nonchalant about it which made me feel better. She said I should be having them by this point (2nd pg and all) and only to worry if a) I have more than 6/hr AFTER drinking a ton of water and lying down on left side, or b) if there is any cervical change shown on those cervical sonos I get. Last night I drank 2 glasses of water right before bed and had almost none all night. That made me relax a lot more, since I've noticed it's really related to hydration and also having to pee/poop. My next cervical sono is next week before Thanksgiving (I'm going every 2 weeks for those until I get past "the hump" - 32 or 33 weeks).

OK sorry I've written a tome here. I guess I'm just glad things are going well.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Monica, we have the usual turkey dinner for T-day, but all of our side dishes are veggie. We usually do sweet potatoes with some type of alcohol (this year bourbon and apricots), creamed pearl onions, a green veggie (french beans or broccoli), a soup (pumpkin or butternut squash), and a green salad (this year it is fennel and jicima). Of course, this is for like 12-15 people. We also sometimes do mashed potatoes in addition to sweet, and we always have stuffing, which is veggie unless you make it w/chicken broth (which we do) and stuff it inside of a turkey (which we also do!) Just thought I'd give you some ideas...

Off to find the pampering our babies thread!
Old 11-18-2004, 04:53 PM

Howdy everyone

Haven't posted in a while, but I thought I'd check in. My darling childcare kids and i have the hella cough/cold thing. But we can't tell who gave it to whom so I'm letting them come over anyway since we all feel like poo. A tv heavy week at my otherwise natural living ap mama childcare. Oh well. As soon as I finish hacking up my lungs we'll head back to the museums and such.

On a positive note. Dh and I started "birthing From Within" classes.
They are intense. The instructor also teaches prenatal yoga and has assigned me homework in the form of the tortureous "surrender pose" to be practiced every day. Haven't done it yet. I'm soooo stuborn!

Oh. I updated my photos, but I need to do it again! http://www.felicite.com/guests/photoAlbum_guest.cfm

Mom to three 14 y.o. rock star grrl, 5 y.o. knight in spazzy armour and baby Juniper, born still @39 weeks 4 days 2-3-10 .
Old 11-18-2004, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quite possibly, I am the biggest goober ever. But in order to help me remember to practice my hypnosis (finger drop technique) 5x a day, I just made myself an Excel chart to hang on my fridge. But, that's just the kind of nerd that I am....
Old 11-18-2004, 06:51 PM

Leslie, do you belong to the hypnobabies yahoo chat group??
Well, I've had the afternoon from hell! Came home from my doctors appt where she told me they found a clot in the placenta during the ultrasound--so now my heparin dose is very high in hopes of breaking up the clot, after 2 weeks it will be dropped again but still be higher than it is now--more bleeding risk for delivery--and I'll need to wear a medic alert bracelet from now on (I probably should have been wearing one all along....)
Anyway, I'm home for 10 minutes when Steve comes home. Bedlam in her excitement to be home combined with her excitement to see Steve leaps around and puts her back foot through the glass on a big portable spot light--blood EVERYWHERE!!! I mean up the walls, all over the floor--she then ran all over the carpet (good thing we're ripping it up) So I had to load her in the truck and rush her into the vet to get stitched and glued back together. Now the cat is stalking the big bandage on her foot--it's gonna be a night!
I think I need a nap!
Old 11-18-2004, 07:03 PM

OMG, Shannon! Parenting is going to be a piece of cake compared to all you've been through!!! Hope you're okay and you find some peace and quiet...

Sadkitty -- do you mind describing the "surrender" pose to me? Sounds like something I could definitely use!

Lesley -- your Thanksgiving sounds scrumptuous!!! on the excel sheet. I give myself stars everyday for walking, yoga, or meditating. I'm a goober, too.

Peri -- so glad everything went so well at your appt! You must be thrilled. And what a pretty bp you have!

Susan -- hope you start to feel stable again soon. I'm definitely feeling better after 4 days of moping around. Hugs to you...

computergeek2.gif  Spirit Baby Intuitive (and really cool chick)

Old 11-18-2004, 07:08 PM

I had a very strange event happen this afternoon. Read this post...I'm sure you'll laugh.

It's looking to be a busy holiday season for me. My nephew will be taking leave from the Navy and will come down here from Virginia for Thanksgiving and my niece/SIL (DH's grandmother adopted him so his sister is really his niece) just called to say she will have block leave before she goes to Iraq in Jan so she'll be here for the new year. We're also going to WV to visit my grandparents for Christmas...so busy!!!

Old 11-18-2004, 07:18 PM

I can't possibly remember 1/2 of who said what in 4 pages of posts this week, so I will just pipe up saying ... STAY WELL, MAMAS! I hope that everyone gets well, stays well, and figures out the issues that have come up.

My mom found out that her baby sister had a radical mastectomy to fight breastcancer on Tuesday, and while they were in there, they found cancer in her lymph nodes, but no one has called to update us, so we know nothing of the prognosis. It's all very scary and sad.

I went back to work PT as a substitute teacher and I love it! I love picking my school, hours, classes and everything. I enjoy being away from home a little b/c I've been feeling a little stir crazy and poor. DH is with DS in the mornings and I get home in time for DH to leave for work, so it's all working out nicely.

I hope that all the aches and pains go away, that the GTTs that are coming up (including mine) are all passed with flying colors. Just think, ladies, we only have about 10-14 weeks left! I can't believe how fast it's all flown by.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXO
Old 11-18-2004, 07:43 PM

Kate, don't know if this helps or not, but my mother had a mastectomy and removal of all the lymph nodes on that side coming up on 2 yrs ago now and she's doing well. Back at work and looking better than ever (if you can believe it!)
Old 11-18-2004, 07:45 PM

Hey, i forget who asked, but someone did... about making your own breast pads... here's the URL i found, it looks WAY easy: http://www.angelfire.com/biz/mothers...ds/mypatt.html
Old 11-18-2004, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyly
Sofia - you still haven't answered my question. Please tell me your ribs went back down to normal size after they spread six inches.
Sorry - I've been very busy; dh's husband gets together for Thanksgiving (command appearence) and exchanges gifts instead of at Christmas, so I've been running around frantically - we're flying to CA on Saturday morning. Gotta pack and make candy and buy gifts and we're renovating part of our house and yadda yadda.

Anyway, yes, they did. But I had a kick-ass massage therapist help make them. I know they don't always. At least after a couple kids.
--------------

I made an appointment with another dentist to get a second opinion on ds's teeth. The thing is, even though they're baby teeth, he'll need them for the next 7-10 years, and messed up baby teeth can cause messed up permanent teeth. Gah. meantime, brushing them a lot.

-----------

I went to my midwife today. it all looks pretty good but she wasn't happy with my weight gain. 10lbs in a month! I knew I'd jumped - I was SO FREAKING HUNGRY for a couple weeks (you know, the "get the hell out of my way and give me your sandwhich" kind of hunger). But it's tapered off and so has my eating. I really think it's ok. But I still feel kinda bad. Hard not to, you know? Plus she said at 110/80 my blood pressure was getting higher than she wanted. *sigh*
Old 11-18-2004, 11:44 PM

Oh, lasofia! That's why prenatal care is sometimes called "prenatal scare," right? It makes me so mad! Your bp sounds wonderful to me -- that's still so low for pregnancy! And I do believe your body is gaining the amount of weight it should. I told my mw I did not want to be weighed anymore for just that reason -- I know my body is doing what it's supposed to, and I don't want to feel bad because of the numbers. I think you're perfect!

computergeek2.gif  Spirit Baby Intuitive (and really cool chick)

Old 11-19-2004, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateSt.
Oh, lasofia! I think you're perfect!
well, you're my new best friend!!

I did tell her that I felt that it was ok, that I had been extra hungry, and I ate, and then I haven't been as hungry or eating as much. I said I ate too much halloween candy but other than that I eat healthy and I try to swim a couple times a week. So I kind of blew her off and she said that it's true, the body does usually tell you what it needs... but not to gain that fast again!

It's just so hard to shake the uckies from it - looking in the mirror, thinking, ok, just how fat IS my face?

course my friend here said it was probably also my body gearing up for nursing - my son was a voracious nurser, and I USED that extra weight PLUS I ate like a horse - I mean way more than I'd ever in my life eaten. So there's probably something to it. (ds went from 50% weight at birth to 85% at 2 weeks to 99% at 2 months)
Old 11-19-2004, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Ladies! Haven't had a chance to read posts. It's my moms birthday and we are having dinner here for her tonight so I just have a minute.

I had a mw appt. today and we found a problem with the babies heartbeat. We aren't sure what the problem is but she wants to see me next week and if we still hear a problem I will have to see an OB. It totally freaked me out. It is not something you ever expect to hear. I am just praying now that it isn't a big deal and that it is something that will heal itself. I was just so shocked to hear that there might be something wrong with my baby. Thanks in advance for listening. I have a great dh. He is so strong and supportive. I will give an update later.

Hope all is well with everyone else and I will try to catch up tomorrow!! Have a good night.

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
Old 11-19-2004, 12:42 AM

Sofia, that bp doesn't sound bad to me (and I know bad bp's!!!) the only concern should be if you normally have a low bp, which would mean you have a lower than normal baseline, in which case high for you would not be the same as high for me--did that make sense??
Amber, that must be so frightening!! What is it that she heard to concern her?? I'm guessing it's not too too bad though or she'd have sent you on to an OB right away probably.

User Tag List