Feb Mama's weekly chat Nov 21-27 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 11-26-2004, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. I made a TON of food, packed it up, and carried it over to my friend's house for dinner. We were going to do it at my place, but she has started bleeding and was dilating a few days ago so she's not supposed to get up much. Dinner was awesome and it went over well...DH had to literally roll me out of the door. I'm really bummed because my friend did make cheesecake (I could have smacked her) and I left mine back at her house...I'm debating on whether or not 10:00 is too late ot go by and pick it up...lol.

I just got over a huge nesting fit. I went in the bathroom to take a bath and prepared to do my usual cursory scrub of the tub and realized that the walls of the shower/tub unit were scummy from soap and hard water. I ended up in that tub for a good 45 minutes scrubbing it from top to bottom with comet and a sponge...then I somehow managed to rinse it off. I didn't get around to taking a bath either...I mean I just cleaned it!

My nephew has a pass from his ship and will be coming down tomorrow. We're going to do another thanksgiving dinner for him (smaller and ham this time) and then he and DH are going to work in the yard digging a drain field and dry well to fix our water problems in our basement. DH'd better hurry, I'm planning on having my baby in the basement den.

We found out that my niece/SIL will be deploying to Iraq for a year in January. DH is worried sick because she's his little sister (or niece...depending on which family member you're talking to) and she's fresh out of basic. I think it's a good opportunity for her to put some money aside (you do make a decent sum) for a car and savings.

Also, quick update on DH deploying...they are sending troops from here. It's still up in the air whether or not they'll be sending any support troops and if they do send support troops it will be a minimal force. The Major really wants DH to be here for the birth so he's going to try and make sure that he's the one who goes...but I feel really bad because his wife just deployed to Iraq and he'd have to leave his kids with his au pair. The au pair is a 19 year old from some country in Europe (small one) and isn't very responsible. I feel so torn. I want DH here, but even if he goes it won't be for long...we could use the extra money...and I really don't want Maj Jennings to go because his children just had their mother leave...they need their dad there too. His son is only 2...he's sooooo cute...and it will be really hard on him...he's such a daddy's boy. Okay...end of worry...DH will most likely be here, but I'm going to feel guilty about it.

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

#32 of 47 Old 11-26-2004, 12:13 PM

Hi all,

We had such a nice Thanksgiving. Lots of laughing and way too much food. I had too much pie. No regrets, though.

Shannon, I am so sorry for you that you are struggling so much. How awful. I hope things get resolved for you with the brace so that you can avoid surgery. Are you resting?? Oh, I hope for you that you are able to take care of yourself these next few weeks. Good luck.

Monica, Sounds like a nice Thanksgiving for you, too. Hope that you are enjoying your second round today. What a dilemma about your dh and possible deployment. Whatever happens, though, you are'nt responsible for who goes or who stays--don't beat yourself up! I truly wish nobody had to go and am grateful for those of you who make such tremendous sacrifices for our country...that goes to all of you with military family! On a nesting note, I've been doing a bunch, too, but find that I have to rely on outside help and dh to get the major renovations done before February, which is hard! Hurry up, already! If we don't get our bathroom done (plumber finally comes this week), we'll have no running water upstairs and no bathtub and I really want to labor in the tub for a while! Dh is upset though, because we ordered a new linoleum floor for the kitchen-to replace the nasty rug that's been there since before I was even born! So, last night, he's poking around and discovers that there is actually maple hardwood floor under layers of subfloor, etc. in the kitchen, but we already bought the linoleum, no refunds. I could care less whether we renovate the original floor or put in linoleum as long as it's not carpet!! And as long as it gets done relatively soon!

Well, that was a random note... Thinking of you all and hoping you have a good weekend. Be well and be so kind to yourselves! susan
#33 of 47 Old 11-26-2004, 08:57 PM

Hi LAdies...

Just a quick hi... all is well here... i'm *30* weeks tomorrow. For some reason i'm having a hard time getting my head around that concept.

hope all is well,
Joy
#34 of 47 Old 11-26-2004, 09:13 PM

Hi ladies! Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!! We had a good time. Lots of food and lots of pie, but ohhhh so yummy!!

Shannon~ Sorry for your hip troubles!! I won't complain about mine hurting anymore!! Hope you feel better soon!

Monica~ That is sooo hard! I can't imagine dh possibly being absent for the birth! Good luck to you! I am grateful for men and women like him and their spouses!! You should be proud!

Susan~ Good luck with the flooring! I can imagine you are getting anxious for things to be done!!

YEAH JOY!!! 30 weeks!! How exciting!! You will have a baby before you know it!!

Better go! Have a good night!!

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
#35 of 47 Old 11-27-2004, 08:43 AM

Hey! I missed you all! I'm still in FL, but wanted to check in. I had a wonderful Thanksgiving. It's good to be with family. I can't sleep!!! I woke about an hour ago and I think it's 3:30 now. Blame it on pregnant spreading hips, bills and Christmas coming up and that I have so much to do when I get back home to prepare for Sofia. There will be a nap planned for today! I'll be getting home late on the 1st. It will be so nice to sleep in my own big bed. (with DH and Chloe of course) We've been trying to make it work with all of us in a full size bed. Usually DH or I end up moving to another room. We haven't slept a full night together since we got here. Last night I was so tired that I almost broke into tears at around 7 for no reason at all. I did get myself back together because I didn't want to upset anyone.

I'll see you all when I get back! Wish me luck on getting back to sleep tonight. If I were at home, I would probably just clean and stay up. There's just not a lot to do here in the middle of the night. I may go up and get my book. Take care!

Love, Tricia
#36 of 47 Old 11-27-2004, 04:03 PM

Hi Mamas,

Finally checking in again (I only get unlimited MDC access on the weekends -- when I'm at work). Hope all those who were having such a rough time earlier this week are seeing some light at the end of the tunnel!

For those worried about their Glucose screenings (especially those 3 hour tests) -- I feel for ya. Last pregnancy I had to do the 3 hour and came back GD. The test was far worse for me than actually dealing with controlling the blood sugar -- 6 meals a day is a delight for a pregnant chica. I was never hungry This time around I've been kinda sticking to the same meal plan (2 carbs, 1 meat, etc.) just to be on the safe side and because it's nice to eat that often (cut down on nausea due to low blood sugar and you never feel stuffed nor hungry). Took my Glucose test on the 17th -- haven't heard anything -- which is a good thing -- supposedly. Personally, I think they just wanted to let me enjoy Thanksgiving (DH thinks I'm paranoid) and are going to spring it on me this Tuesday.

Nesting -- have been de-cluttering and cleaning quite a bit. Of course some of this is in preparation for ds' birthday party which is Wednesday. He'll be three -- can't believe it! He wanted a Rainforest themed party -- hee hee.

Speaking of ds he's very excited about the baby and wants to attend the birth. We want him there, but had hoped to have an advocate/doula for him. Unfortunately, our first choice feels she might not be up to it. The other ladies we feel most comfortable with and think ds would as well are all Mom's themselves (with children in the same age range) and I just don't know if I should ask them -- I know I would have difficulty getting childcare on such short notice. Unfortunately my Mom has been quite ill this year and is not an option.

Am looking forward to making my own wipes and diapers -- don't worry I've mentioned www.fernandfarie.com as my wishlist.

Kimba
#37 of 47 Old 11-27-2004, 08:16 PM

Hi everyone!! I'm feeling better today, went out with Heve and actually walked around a fair bit (I'm of course paying for that now, but it was cool to do some walking) I bought a really neat sling that is manly enough for dh (ok, he'd probably wear something foo fooey more than I would ) It's called a Premaxx Baby Bag. Also got some wooden blocks with the letters to spell Molly

I just wanted to point out to anyone who may not hang out at TAO much, there is a thread for helping out some needy MDC moms. It is being organized by Tracy and Gemini and they really are in need of more helper moms as they try to asign more than one helper to each needy mom. You can donate one of 2 ways, either by sending a gift certificate, or by sending new or gently used toys and clothing. No amount is too small for the gift certificates. It's a wonderful way to get into the Christmas spirit!! I encourage everyone to go check it out!!! http://www.mothering.com/discussions...7&page=3&pp=40
#38 of 47 Old 11-28-2004, 02:21 PM

Shannon, I'm so glad you're doing better. I wish I knew what to say about the pain that you're living with on a daily basis. I'm so sorry. Just know that we're all here for you. On a more positive note, sounds like you and Heve had an enjoyable time and the blocks for Molly sound cute!

Kimba, I know how you're feeling about what to do with one of your dc while you're having the other! We're going through the same issue right now. I hope that things work out for you in some way.

Tricia, Hope you're getting some decent sleep now. And that you ended up having a great time in FL.

Monica, I'll keep you in my thoughts and hope that your dh will be able to be there for the birth of your baby. It is so hard to think that someone you love could have to be away from you at such an important time.

Amber, Fantastic news on the heartbeat! I'm so glad to hear it! You must be feeling very relieved.

Joy, I'll be 30 weeks on Tuesday! Can you believe it is here already? 3/4 of the way done!!!

Not much new for me. Had a really nice Thanksgiving except that my poor dd got pinkeye in both eyes and was not too happy. She did remarkably well though, even though she hated the medicine we had to put in her eyes. Poor baby.

I'm feeling like there is no way we're going to be ready for this baby. I'm a little annoyed, which I know I shouldn't be, but I've checked my registries and nothing has been purchased! My shower is on Dec. 19th. And there are about 5 people who haven't even RSVP'ed yet (out of maybe 12 that we invited). I'm worried that people are going to wait until the last minute to look at the registires, thinking that they can just run out to BRU and pick something up, and that they haven't realized that I really want cloth diapers! I think I'm going to end up with a bunch of cutesy pink clothes that I don't need.

Oh well. I shouldn't complain. I'm lucky to even have a shower for baby #2. It just seems like people aren't "into it" like they were with my first. And no one but me seems excited about my belly casting. I'm worried that other than the carseat (which my mom is buying) that I will have to purchase everything myself!

Okay, I feel like such a complainer, so I'll shut up now. Here's another thing, not about me. There's someone here on MDC whose story has touched me. She and her DH have been ttc for more than 2 years, unsuccessfully. She has had 4 failed IUI's. The next step would be IVF, but they're not sure they can afford it. I don't know her IRL, and I know that there are limits to how I can do things "legally" here at MDC. But I'd like to organize a fundraiser for her of some kind. Does anyone have any good ideas about how I could go about doing that? I was thinking about putting an ad in my signature, and setting up a website with information about how to donate money to her...but then she would find out about it, of course. Plus, I don't really know how to set up a website! Isn't there someone here who does that? Ideas and suggestions greatfully accepted!!
#39 of 47 Old 11-28-2004, 07:26 PM

Okay, i just have to vent. HAVE to.
My MIL and i are not very similar people. I deal with her okay in small doses. So we go over yesterday for a few hours, so DH can get a haircut (she's a beautician) and to eat thanksgiving leftovers (we boycotted thanksgiving at her house, told her we were out of town)...

She had asked us to bring a list of what we wanted for the baby over, so I printed out my registry (she has this THING where she will only shop at the on base commisary, she wont go to BRU or Target, so that kind of blows the whole registry thing). She looked at it... I made a specific point to let her know that we want to minimize plastic stuff. Okay this sent her OVER the edge. I think bcause when BIL and SIL had their baby, she bought them TONS of stuff at the base commisary that she has been bugging them to hand down to us, and the majority of it, like high chairs, were plastic. I happen to think plastic is ugly. I want my kid raised around natural materials like fabric and wood as much as possible. Not that i'm going to keel over if there's plastic in my house, but really want to minimize it. She got all wiggy.

I also made the point that BIL and SIL have yet to call and congratulate us on being pregnant, and that we had several other friends who've given us tons of hand me down stuff... then she wanted to know what we'd been given, so i went down the list - stroller, car seat, baby bjorn, breast bump, piles of newborn sized clothes, and assorted other stuff. She asked what we would do if we got duplicates, and I made the point that if people followed the registry, we wouldn't. I also made the point that if we got duplicates, I'd be busy exchanging things. She is one of those people that if someone gives her a gift, she will never get rid of it / exchange it / goodwill it (she lives alone in a 3000 sq ft house that is packed to the brim with STUFF). She was almost offended that we had been given so many nice things already...

THEN... and SHE knows we're CDing, she went on to say that BIL and SIL had a really neat diaper genie that she hoped they'd give us, and I told her that those were for disposables, and she said they could still be used with cloth to minimize the smell. I'm like, HELLO, I'll be washing diapers every day to minimize the smell. And I dont' want a poop sausage in my house. DUH.

anyway, we just don't see eye to eye and I get very frustrated in her presence. she's the only person convinced this baby is a boy - I'm about equally convinced its a girl. I'll be thrilled with whatever we have, but she actually said to me, that she needed a little boy around. I told her to get pregnant and have one of her own.

*sigh*
Anyway, go out and look, we're almost done with the dr seuss pics in the baby room... www.snapfish.com login as joywhitcomb@mail.com and pw joywhitcomb
#40 of 47 Old 11-28-2004, 09:07 PM

Julia Roberts stole my baby girl name! We chose Hazel in part because it was unique. Now people are going to think I copied her. And there will be a zillion Hazels in her class. So sad....
#41 of 47 Old 11-28-2004, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I spent part of the day in Labor and Delivery. I still don't know what's going on. Everytime I stand up and move around I get severe cramping. The kind that doubles you over and makes you cry out. It scared the hell out of me so I had DH run me up to the hospital (thank god it's free) and they monitored me. The minute I layed down the cramps stopped. It really felt like my uterus was a tight little ball and would not stop contracting, but it stopped the minute we got there. I'm pretty much laying down the whole time now and I'm taking it really easy. We had company for the weekend so it really put a damper on the festivities, but we did manage to get a christmas tree today. I'm getting ready to put the lights on and hope they look good.

JOY! I LOVE YOUR WALLS!!!! They look wonderful! Now I'm really jealous and I'm determined that we'll just have to paint ours ourselves. We're going to be doing Where the Wild Things Are. No...I don't think it will scare our kid if he's anywhere near as demented as DH and myself.

Lousli - just another reason to hate Julia Roberts. I don't know what it is, but I just can't stand that woman. I'm sorry, have you thought of any other names? There is going to be a rash of girls named Hazel now...hmm...haven't heard of any other Apples though...

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

#42 of 47 Old 11-28-2004, 09:29 PM

Uh oh. Looks like the rest of this week was kind of sucky for everyone. Shannon, you must be in serious pain. I can only imagine what you're going through. And Joy, your MIL sounds like a PITA. What is it with people and that diaper genie anyway lol!?! It's like the holy grail or something. (or the holy pail. oh I'm so clever ). I do think you made a good choice to boycott Thanksgiving at her place. Can you imagine how awful that would have been?

I'm pretty tired to do personals now, so I'll wait for tomorrow's thread!

OK, totally OT... I think my libido *might* be coming back. Anyone else get turned on by this smiley!? ---> :fireman

Oooh baby.
#43 of 47 Old 11-28-2004, 09:41 PM

It's me again ladies. I posted this over in I'm pregnant too, but I'm a little freaked out, so....

I've been pretty constipated lately, so I took some colace last night. Today I've had some contractions, but not enough to make me reach for the terb yet. I had to have a BM, and after I did, I saw a thick, white blob of mucus in the toilet. The kind that I have been having little bits of as discharge, but more. Maybe about the size of a quarter. Could this be the mucus plug, or part of it, or is it too small? No blood, btw...
#44 of 47 Old 11-28-2004, 09:45 PM

Lesley, I've been having that periodically, my doc said not to worry aobut it unless it's closer to tennis ball size, and that even then, you can loose it and not go into labor for weeks.
HTH!!!
#45 of 47 Old 11-28-2004, 09:51 PM

Okay, thanks Shann. Very reassuring. I was about ready to call my doc. I don't think I will unless I start to contract more or something.
#46 of 47 Old 11-28-2004, 10:14 PM

Tennis Ball Sized???
OMG. The things that will come out of us.
#47 of 47 Old 11-29-2004, 10:34 AM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page