Thousht I Went Into Labor last Night... But Am I Closer Now???... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-03-2005, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, this is what happened. My fiance and i were lying in bed getting ready to have sex, and all of the sudden I start to have some contractions (I haven't had any contractions since, I was around 20 weeks I think), so I really thought it was time. They were painful (very sharp pains), and lasted for about 30 seconds each. What really got me scared was that even though they were not consistent in timings, I was getting some 2 to 3 minutes apart. So I told DF to get up and get dressed (he was about to have a real breakdown, which is why when it is time he will not bring me to the hospital). So he got dressed, and he continued to rub my stomach as my contractions continued. They contractions stopped for a minute so I went to the bathroom, because I thought I was going to pee on myself. I used the bathroom and had a bm, it was diarrhea like (I read somewhere that this is sometimes an indicator that labor is soon to come). I had a couple more contractions and then they stopped. All the while I am calming DF, he was so worried about the pain that I was in. We went to sleep, and when I woke up this morning, I had another bm like last night. So am I closer to labor now? I am starting to get scared.
#2 of 11 Old 01-04-2005, 01:02 AM

Have you had anymore contractions today? My thinking from what you've said, keeping in mind I'm no expert, is that maybe nipple stimulation or something like that got your contractions going. The fact that they weren't regular makes me think they were Braxton Hicks. Although I don't know why they would be sharp. There shouldn't be any sharp pain. Tight and achy and crampy, but not sharp. Everything I've been reading indicates that true labor contractions will be consistent and consistently closer together. I personally wouldn't think anything more of it.

Now, not that it's any of my business whatsoever, but I would be concerned about your df's reaction to possible labor. How much time has he spent learning what to expect? There's really no reason for him to be so fearful or concerned. Your body does know what it's doing! The more he knows about what is happening with your body, the more confident and supportive he will be for you.
#3 of 11 Old 01-04-2005, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

No I haven't had any more contractions today. They were achy and crampy but still really sharp. And I agree, now that I think about it they could have been brought on by nipple stimulation. I have a doc's appointment tomorrow, so I'll tell her all about it and see what she says.

About my DF's reaction, I knew that it would be that way. As a matter of fact I think that I mentioned how he would react, before. He is really sensetive to my pain, and no matter what I tell him, I really don't think that it will get better. Last night he questioned every move I made, trying to get me to stay still. I told him that i would walk outside with him to take out the trash, and we would lay back down when we came back in. You should of heard his response to that. He didn't want me to walk anywhere, and he told me that he didn't want me to lay down because it seemed like the contractions always came, when I was laying down. He also tried to get me not to sit on the futon with him, because he said it was to hard for me to sit on. I love him so much, and he is so special. That is another reason I don't want him to bring me to the hospital. I want him to see me there, when I am nice and settled, and calm. I really try to tell him about the labor process, but that is hard for him to listen to. I know that when I am in the hospital in labor, I will most likely be the one holding his hand, trying to calm and soothe him. Truth be told, I really don't think, that I would like it any other way.
#4 of 11 Old 01-04-2005, 12:07 PM

Sounds like Braxton Hicks to me too. I get a ton of them - and some are quite painful and could be considered sharp, as you get closer to actual labor they tend to get increasingly painful. Nipple stimulation certainly could have been the cause - I know when DS nurses is when I get the worse ones.

Try not to worry about it - you are likely to have this happen at least a few more times before real labor kicks in and when it does I have no doubt that you will know the difference (I'm very concerned about your DH's ability to handle the real thing though if he's panicking this much over BH's! Maybe you can do a natural birth and they can give him some valium!!!??? :LOL ) Real contractions will come at regular intervals and will gradually increase intensity and frequency.

Kitty

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#5 of 11 Old 01-04-2005, 12:46 PM

I had some good BH's the other night (brought on, I'm sure, by my manic urge to rearrange the living room BY MYSELF).... but thye went away when i chilled out, so not too worried about it.

aren't we about to the point where sex is not advisable because the combo of the stimulation and the sperm on cervix could indeed trigger labor? anyone know (not that i've had sex in, oh, months... but...ya know...)
#6 of 11 Old 01-04-2005, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtchyhlr
aren't we about to the point where sex is not advisable because the combo of the stimulation and the sperm on cervix could indeed trigger labor? anyone know (not that i've had sex in, oh, months... but...ya know...)
Unless you are high-risk for premature labor or have some other health issue, sex is just fine right up until the end (provided you are a willing participant :LOL )

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#7 of 11 Old 01-04-2005, 12:56 PM

About the sex thing: I think it depends on your own personal feelings about it. I have never been warned to avoid it. It's just a matter of getting comfortable, etc. And yes, sex and nipple stimulation definitely brings on the BH, but from what I understand, won't bring on actual labor unless your body is already close to it anyway--I could be wrong about that. Best to ask your care provider and go with your gut feelings. Also, BH are good!! They are your body "practicing" and getting stronger for the actual event. Perhaps if OP explained that to her DF, it might help calm him a bit? Trust that your body knows what it is doing. I found it really helpful in labor with DS that I knew the "terms" for what was happening (ie: stage one, transition, etc) and could visualize what my body and baby were doing. That helped with pain management and also helped to mentally prepare me (and DH) throughout the process. Good luck!!!
#8 of 11 Old 01-04-2005, 01:41 PM

I agree that it was probably partly caused by foreplay. I would make sure you drink tons and tons of water and not worry about it at all. There's no reason not to have sex. Your body knows what it's doing.

Have you considered taking hypnobirthing with your DF? I want to soooo badly, but we just aren't going to be able to. It really sucks, but if you can see a hypnotherapist or get into a hypno class that might really help your DF. Who is going to be your labor support? Do you have someone else who went through classes with you and can actually HELP you in labor. If he's not able to do it, you need someone, a doula, a friend, someone.

Again, there's nothing wrong with having sex, and labor is very consistent when it's true active labor. Prodromal labor can last for weeks and weeks.

Pamamidwife is awesome if you wanna contact her for information, too. She might be able to shed some light on your situation if you don't wanna call your HCP.
#9 of 11 Old 01-05-2005, 05:56 PM

I had a nice bout of uncomfortable contractions on New Year's eve - annoying, most definitely! It freaked me out enough that I wanted to make them stop.....but what I was told by my former midwife was, if they aren't slowed down or stopped by a warm bath and a cup of tea, *then* give her a call. It took the nice long bath to get me relaxed enough to stop contracting this time.

As for if you are getting closer or not.....well, every day brings you a day closer to when your baby will be born Nobody can tell you that it's DEFINITELY going to happen in X amount of time based on certain bodily happenings.

If it were me, I would do everything I can to discourage regular contractions before 37 weeks. No anything extreme, as it just sounds like prodromal "gearing up" kind of contractions, but things like relaxing on your side in bed, having a hot bath, maybe with a cup or two of epsom salts dissolved in....that sort of thing.
#10 of 11 Old 01-14-2005, 06:09 PM

Just another take, from someone who recently got over some stomach crud..

Maybe the cramps weren't uterine, but rather intestinal cramping preceding the diarrhea. Hope this isn't TMI, but about a month ago, I got some stomach/intestinal bug that resulted in about 2 days of VERY loose bowels/diarrhea. I woke up about midnight, DH was still awake, and I just KNEW something was wrong. The pains were very sharp and lasted about 30 seconds or so each. I assumed they were uterine contractions, too, until after about an hour, I went to the bathroom, and realized it was just intestinal cramping. Since the baby has squooshed everything around, it's very easy to get all the bodily sensations confused. I had more of the same the next day, but by that afternoon all was well again.

So, perhaps it wasn't uterine contractions, but intestinal cramping, because of the diarrhea.

Just another thought...
#11 of 11 Old 01-15-2005, 12:50 AM

I agree that I think it sounds like intestinal cramping, not contractions.

I wouldn't describe contractions as "sharp"....it's not that kind of pain. But intestinal cramping- oh yeah! That can be really sharp!

Since you had the bm right afterwards both times, it sounds like that is what it was.

As for DF...did you take childbirth classes together? Will he be there for the birth? I would really recommend having a second support person as well since you WILL need someone to lean on and shouldn't be the one to be supporting someone else at that time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page