Birth Announcements and Stories - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 75 Old 02-21-2005, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Whooo Hoooo Ekblad!!! Congratulations!!! I was just thinking of you yesterday as I was whining on the thread about being soooo ready!!! I am glad all is well!! Can't wait to hear a birth story!! Enjoy!!

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
#62 of 75 Old 03-11-2005, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ava was born March 1st at 6:55 pm. She weighed 7lbs 7oz and measured 20 1/2 ". She was birthed at home with the help of Sean, my wonderful midwife, our doula, my mother and the attending midwife. I took all of them to help me get this baby out. She, like my first, had a hard time moving through my pelvis. It was more than miserable. She was finally delivered onto our bed in the hands of her daddy. Another miracle. We had convinced ourselves we were having a boy, so to learn we had a girl was truely a shock! When I learn how to post a picture I'll do so. She is so beautiful!!!
#63 of 75 Old 03-11-2005, 11:09 AM
tug

:

welcome ava juliet and congratulations to you, cecily!!

what a beautiful name, too!
#64 of 75 Old 03-11-2005, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella'smamma
We had convinced ourselves we were having a boy, so to learn we had a girl was truely a shock! When I learn how to post a picture I'll do so. She is so beautiful!!!
Ditto! We were shocked to see we had a daughter too. Isn't that funny how our intuition was completely wrong? :LOL

Beautiful story and beautiful name...Ava. Congratulations mama
#65 of 75 Old 03-15-2005, 12:40 AM

Thanks mamas!

threeforme, did you get attached to your boy? I'm having a hard time letting him go. What is it like for you? I'm thinking of starting a thread about it. I don't want to sound ungrateful for my perfectly healthly, beautiful girl, but what about the baby I thought I had. Is this normal? Is this hormones?
#66 of 75 Old 03-15-2005, 12:42 AM

OMG! Autum Eve is BEAUTIFUL!!!
#67 of 75 Old 03-15-2005, 12:09 PM

Quote:
threeforme, did you get attached to your boy? I'm having a hard time letting him go. What is it like for you? I'm thinking of starting a thread about it. I don't want to sound ungrateful for my perfectly healthly, beautiful girl, but what about the baby I thought I had. Is this normal? Is this hormones?
Hi Bellasmamma

I have been able to let the little boy I thought I was having go at this point. In the end I realized it doesn't really matter because the love I feel for my daughter is so powerful and amazing. I guess deep down I must have secretly wished for a baby girl to cherish because as soon as she and I made eye contact for the first time I knew it was meant to be.

It is kind of bizarre to prepare yourself mentally for 9 months for one gender and get the other gender at birth. 9 months of thinking I was giving my son a brother changed in an instant. It is shocking and believe me...when they said "It's a girl" I snapped my head around and popped my eyes open and said "What? Are you kidding?" Yep I was shocked and it took a moment for the stunned look to leave my face.

It could be hormones, but your feelings are very valid. It's disturbing when your mother's intuition is completely wrong....at least that's how I feel.

to you mama. Your little girl will bring you so much joy to your life that you will look back on your life and realize she was very much meant to be.
#68 of 75 Old 03-15-2005, 12:10 PM

Quote:
OMG! Autum Eve is BEAUTIFUL!!!
Thank you
#69 of 75 Old 03-18-2005, 01:03 PM

Hi Everyone. Sorry for the long absence...Thanks, Shannon, for keeping everyone up to date on my situation.

Who'da thunk it, eh?

Thanks to everyone for your well wishes, thoughts, and prayers. They were very much appreciated!!! .

We have named our baby boy Marcus (middle name to be determined).

The meaning of the name is "belonging to Mars - the warrior". This little boy definitely wanted to come in March, and he has been quite the warrior!

Marcus was born on March 8, 2005 at 11:17 am. He weighed 7 lbs, 5 oz, and measured 20.5 inches long.

As most of you know, his entry to this world was not one we had imagined possible. After an uneventful and healthy pregnancy, our little boy was not making any moves to come by his due date, and my body was in no apparent rush either. Druing week 41, we tried every natural method to encourage labour. No response. After careful monitoring since 10 days (or 7 - debatable) past his due date, I was admitted to the hospital. Attempts to coax my body to prepare for his birth (Cervadil) failed, and he began showing serious signs of distress. My cervix wasn't opening, and his head was still high. On Tuesday, March 8, the decision was made to have a caesarean section birth, as the probability of his doing well with Pitocin was very slim, which would have in all probability resulted in an emergency caesarean (general anaesthetic).

One hour later, I was on the operating table. A truly surreal experience. I won't go into those details, - it was quite harrowing at the time, but I was focussed on getting my baby out well. My mw was there with me, and my dh. A paediatrician was also in the OR, and once baby came out, he was swiftly transferred to her care. He was coated in meconium, and had likely been so for some time - even before having shown any signs of distress. Apparently the OB had never seen a uterus like mine. Absolutely coated and stained. Great - glad to make it into the record books...

The next 7 days were quite the journey to wellness for both baby and mom. Marcus was in the NICU for 7 days. I was a patient for 3 days beyond his birth day. With the hospital being under renovation, that ward is several long corridors and 2 floors away from the NICU! I then stayed in a courtesy room in the NICU until baby's discharge from hospital (a short hobble away).

He came very close to having to be intubated (put on a respirator) immediately after his birth, but he rallied, and was able to avoid that procedure. He was on oxygen for his first day, then in an incubator. He was on antibiotics for the meconium aspiration, and his next days were a series of blood draws, IV moves (the last of which was on his poor little head), a feeding tube down his nose to his tummy, and sensors, but finally he was moved to a regular cot and became a wireless baby! That made cuddle and feeding time much less stressful.

On March 14, mommy and daddy brought our little guy home. He was discharged from the hospital a normal, healthy baby, and no long-term effects are expected for either of us. Words cannot express how thrilled we are to have him here, and we are enjoying being a family together again. He has already gained 5 ounces since his discharge weight, and is on the way (although some days I worry!) to learning to breast feed. His energy had been spent fighting the ordeal and healing, plus his first few days he was fed directly to his tummy via a tube to avoid aspiration, so this skill is taking some time...My mw has been working with me, coming by daily, and yesterday we saw a LC. Can't wait till this little guy can just go on the breast easy peasy, and I can stop pumping!! Wildly time consuming.

My mom has been staying at my place and has been a HUGE help. Man - how do you mamas with toddlers do it? It's all I can do to keep myself relatively rested, hydrated and fed...! Once breastfeeding bootcamp is over, I should gain some time... : :yawning:

It will take some time to process all this. I've had scary dreams, and so has dh. I've always contended that I am grateful to live somewhere where there are antibiotics and excellent surgical care. I don't think I'm someone who invited medical intervention, but I am 100% glad that I used it. I will have to deal with the fact that had I accepted induction the Thursday prior, we might have had a natural birth, and no distress. Maybe not. Who knows how long he was living in his meconium. Poor little guy.

Photos here:http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/heveasoul/my_photos
#70 of 75 Old 03-18-2005, 01:14 PM

Christine: He is so handsome! I'm so glad you are all home. Take care! Love, Tricia
#71 of 75 Old 03-18-2005, 01:52 PM
tug

Marcus is beautiful! Congratulations! You would never know he had such a fight. Don't second guess yourselves. You did wonderfully and he is perfect!
#72 of 75 Old 03-18-2005, 02:17 PM

Christine I'm sorry you had to go through such an ordeal. Marcus is absolutely gorgeous and the picture of health. Congratulations mama
#73 of 75 Old 03-18-2005, 02:22 PM

Christine,
I'm so glad that you are all home and that Marcus is doing well! Please, please don't feel guilt over the induction. I know it is hard, and I too went through a thousand "what ifs" about Hazel's birth. It is always difficult to know whether you've done the right thing, but it sounds to me like you researched and made your choices very carefully.

The breastfeeding will get better! It does take time though. Are you supplementing with a bottle? Shannon has an SNS that may be of use to you. Hopefully little Marcus will catch on really quickly as he didn't spend too long in the NICU (any time is too long though).

If you ever need to vent and talk about your birth or NICU experience, I'm here for you. I'm still healing and processing my own journey, but at least I've got Hazel nursing now, and that's a big step towards emotional recovery for me. Okay, enough about me. Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful son! I love the name Marcus, as well. Sending positive thoughts and nursing vibes!
#74 of 75 Old 03-19-2005, 11:38 AM

Thanks, everyone! (new photos uploaded, btw!)

I'm going to head over to the main thread to continue our chat, k?
#75 of 75 Old 03-19-2005, 09:41 PM

he's lovely, heve! thanks so much for sharing. i'm glad that you all are doing well and hope the breastfeeding kicks in quickly! :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page