Feb Mamas Jan 31 - Feb 6 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 205 Old 02-02-2005, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama007
No soaps for a bit here either. When we do we use California baby or Burt's Bee. I love the buttermilk lotion!
*NOD NOD* That buttermilk lotion feels and smells divine! I use it on my son after each bath and mmmmmm I could eat him up Love that BB's!

Just got back from my almost 37 week appointment. It feels good to finally be on the 1 week schedule. I had the GBS swab test done today. Hopefully I'll hear the results soon. I hope I don't have it. She mentioned induction today for the first time. She is thinking of doing it a week early. I kept my mouth shut. I'm on the fence still, but I think a week early is too early and she'll be cool with me waiting if I choose to do that too. I am measuring about 41 weeks though...eeek! I'm totally playing this by ear. BP was normal but I gained quite a bit of weight in the last 2 weeks Guess I'm eating too many goodies lately : I really don't like the last month of pregnancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 205 Old 02-02-2005, 09:29 PM

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I haven't posted the last couple of days - I've been reading just haven't posted because I have a HORID cold and am so miserable. I'm hoping I don't go into labor until I feel better because I don't think I could deal with labor and a cold at the same time! If you told me a couple days ago I'd be trying to avoid labor I would have laughed at you! Hehehe.

Peri - hope you have managed to avoid getting DH's cold. Me and you always seem to be on the same schedule lately so I'm hoping that won't be true for the sickness thing too : (bag to keep the germs away from you).

Sending labor dust away from me and towards the rest of you!!!!

Kitty

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#93 of 205 Old 02-02-2005, 11:04 PM

Hey everyone,

Woolfairy and others who are suffering and stressed (Zandersmom, Kitty, others...) Hugs to you!

Joy, glad you're making progress...soon!

Tricia, I would pack some clean white shoe-laces and blunt tipped scissors just in case. I know you're probably not going to deal with the cord, but if it's around the neck or something, you might need to tie it off and cut it. That's what was recommended on the "emergency childbirth" handout our midwife gave us. I'll go find it and let you know if it recommends anything else. Oh, and maybe some bottled water? Don't know why I thought of that, but it seemed important??

Ds is in the bathtub!!! You'd think he's won the lottery. He's all smiles ear to ear, swim goggles on, suds everywhere. Hallelujah! I'm so excited this project is (almost) done!

Shyly, I love Burt's Bees baby products, they smell so good, but they do have a really strong fragrance! We used unscented baby wash we got at the health food store and calendula gel around the diaper area if it needed it, plus rubbing alcohol to clean the cord area. That was it. One thing we tried to avoid was products with petroleum (we avoid them in general) and there is a product called "unpetroleum jelly" which is kind of cool for moisturizing.

If anyone is looking for an interesting commemorative baby thing (or anniversary/wedding,etc.) go to www.ponybarnceramics.com Sam is a friend of mine and her hand-made tiles are incredible. We give them as wedding gifts a lot. Just thought I'd share!

Have a good night everyone. xo susan
#94 of 205 Old 02-02-2005, 11:49 PM

We use corn starch instead of baby powder. It works pretty well, is cheap, and easy to get. Plus, if baby swallows a little (somehow??) it is a digestible food product.
#95 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 12:42 AM

okay... so I have really been wondering this these days...
Why do we use powder on a baby?
Why do babies need oiling (i asked my husband this, and with a perfectly straight face, he said so they fry up right - MEN)
Do i really need anythning other than a very mild soap on dirty parts?
#96 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 12:57 AM

We always use Goldenseal Powder on the cord stump. It is great for cuts too. But be careful because it stings quite a bit so not a good idea for little ones owies.

threeforme2005- I hope you feel better soon!

HelloKitty- feel better soon, colds really stink!
#97 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 01:25 AM

Hi! I don't post much but I lurk and I'm on the main list so I thought I'd let you all know that I had my baby. She was born yesterday morning at 7:51am. It was a UC and it went perfectly. Her name is Irina Zoey. Here is a link to my birth story if you are interested.

#98 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 01:39 AM

What a wonderful story! Isn't it cool when your body does all the work. I was so amazed that I literally did no work pushing with my last. Congratulations and welcome baby Irina!
#99 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 04:16 AM

Dandylion,
Congratulations and welcome to the world Irina! I LOVE that name. We had our daughter's name narrowed down to Irina or Hazel, and went with Hazel because we know someone IRL named Irina and thought it might be weird for our daughter and our friend to share a name. Can't wait to read the birth story!
#100 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 06:34 AM

Stephanie: What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing it with us. She is so beautiful! Congratulations and Welcome little Irina Zoey!

I just got up to take some tylenol because my tailbone is killing me. I was also having weird contractions that have gone away since I've gotten up. I think I was having big BH combined with gas pains (sharp stabbing pains low belly) We did have Red beans and rice for dinner I don't think I'm anywhere close to giving birth yet. Also, I've given Sofia a talking to about staying in until after my Mom and best friend come in on the 16th. I don't expect anything until at least my due date 25th. Chloe was a day and a half late so I expect I'll go around my due date with this little girl also.

I got both of my bathrooms spotless clean today, made a couple pillows for my bed that match the curtains that I just finished and this evening I have turned into a giant pain! I just felt grouchy and achey.

Tug: About the feeling of incredible loneliness when you left your little one for the first time to get the mail. I totally know what you mean. When I had Chloe I wasn't prepared for that feeling and that I would be soooo protective of her. I didn't want any of my friends to hold her and when they did I was shoulder to shoulder with them and feeling my bloodpressure rise almost like panic. I was working 2 and a half days a weeks at a GYN clinic at the time and knew that I would be going back to work at 7 weeks pp. I cried so much for weeks leading up to going back to work. My best friend watched her while I was at work, but it was aweful to leave her. I felt like I was leaving my right arm behind. I cried all the time even in front of patients. This went on for weeks.... drop her off...cry all the way to work... see her at lunch to nurse... cry all the way back to work... and pick her up at the end of the day. I tried to tell myself that it would get easier and that at least I didn't have a full time job, but it didn't get easier and I was leaking almost everyday going to see her at lunch. (I was a big time leaker for 7-8 months) A month or two after I went back to work, my best friend found out that her DH got orders to move to Ohio and they would be leaving in August. There was no doubt about it that I would have to quit work ( I didn't feel comfortable with anyone else watching her) Suddenly there was a weight lifted being that there was an end in sight. I quit my job when Chloe was 7 months old and have been a SAHM ever since. The best career move I've ever made! Anyway, just wanted to share that story.

I should probably try to go back to sleep. All my projects are done pretty much and the house is clean so I don't have anything productive to do.

Take care!

Love, Tricia
#101 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 10:11 AM

So I was just looking at the Valentine List that DS #2 brought home today and almost every name on their was really unusual - either all in all or the spelling was unusual - for example Pebbles and Sherley. There were only a couple "normal" names like Michael and Tracey, and I noticed it was actually kind of refreshing seeing them. Hehehe Just an observation I thought I'd share. I think a lot of us really struggle to find a name that will be unique for our children, but maybe the more traditional names are the unique ones now!

Kitty

#102 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 11:17 AM

Congratulations Stephanie!!

Last night I thought for sure I was in labor.... again. 1.5 hours of constant cramping with contractions lasting 1 minute and 4-6 minutes apart. Hellloooo? I mean, who can that NOT be labor, lol??? Groan...

I have an OB appointment today where he will probably want to schedule a c-section (VBAC, huge baby, etc. etc.) and I"m really hoping as you all know that I go naturally before then. :
#103 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 11:32 AM

Oh Peri, I hope you you go naturally, too! Sending natural birthing vibes your way....

Tricia -- I so appreciated your post about how difficult it was to go back to work after your first baby. Makes me feel SOOOO fortunate that I'm able to work from home (dh and I own our business) and makes me soooo sad for those mamas that want to be with their babies but can't. Thanks for sharing.

Zandersmom and Kitty -- thinking of you both.

Dandylion -- Congrats! I've been wanting to reply to your post on the uc thread --which I will do today. Your precious new babe is delicious!!!

Okay -- you ladies have been very helpful on co-sleeping. I have a couple more questions that come to me in the middle of the night as I look at dh's and my sleeping habits. Do you ladies have the baby under the covers (comforter) with you? I just received some sleep sacks and am wondering what to do with them. Also, do you elevate your baby's head (like on your pillow?). Sorry if these are silly questions...but they're plaguing me!

computergeek2.gif  Spirit Baby Intuitive (and really cool chick)

#104 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 11:34 AM

Welcome Irina!! : Congrats Dandylion!

Today is my due date!! Can't believe it's finally here. Wish labor was. My midwife comes for a visit today. Time for baby to get out!! I am so out of room for him to grow any more. Miserably uncomfortable.

As for toiletries for the little ones, they don't really need anything. Oil and powder and more for the mommies enjoyment. Babyoil is great to massage a new baby, but they really don't need it for moisture. We will be using EarthFriendlyBaby shampoo and diaper rash cream (if needed).
#105 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 11:58 AM

Morning all, sending out labor vibes to those who need them (you can have mine, I never used them )
Kate, I keep Molly on top of the covers but we have a heavy down duvet. I tried having her sleep off to the side of the pillow or down further on the bed, but I've run into a couple problems with that, first she seems to manage to move herself to be closer to my face and then I wake up with her too close to being under the pillow for my comfort, secondly, I think she may have some mild reflux as I've noticed if I lay her down flat within about 90 minutes of eating, she tends to puke, but if I have her propped, she's fine. So now I have her propped with her head and shoulders on the pillow and my arm under her back, that seems to be her favorite position and the position she doesn't squirm around in. When I nap on the couch with her I tend to have her on her tummy on my chest. We're still experimenting and learning though

So yesterday I went out for the first time, just me and the baby (oh and Bedlam) I had to take all three of us to the chiropractor and then Molly and I even went into Walmart to pick up some more bottles and such. It's definitely more difficult carting a baby around than carting a dog around, but I think we did pretty good.
DH is sick (or at least he thinks he is--I have my doubts) so I've been keeping him away from lil Molly.
She's starting to loose some of the hair she was born with , right now she has the hairline of a 40 something balding man. Oh well, what can ya do
Everyone take care today, I have another fairly busy day, Molly has a doctor's appt, then I'm supposed to go meet my mother for lunch (provided Molly isn't cranky) adn I'm leaving dh home to get some work done around here.
#106 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 01:27 PM

Morning all. I'm sitting here trying to get through to the advice nurse up at the clinic. I've been on hold about ten minutes...sigh. I need to get in to see someone about my ankle. I turned it about three weeks ago and while it got better it suddenly started getting worse and swelled up to about three times its normal size. The thing that's worrying me is that when I press on the swelling the indentations stay...I know that's not normal so I'm trying to get it checked out. I figured I'd have a good chance of getting in to see someone, but either the line is extremely busy or the advice nurse is busy chatting with a friend (which is normal).

I have absolutely nothing to do today. It's super nasty outside (rainy/cold) and the tilers aren't coming because they don't want to track mud inside and they can't set up their saws in the rain. I was going to stay in bed all day, but of course since I planned it I woke up at 8 am. Grr.

Hope you guys all have a good day and get to relax and kickback.

Welcome to the world Irina Zoey!

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

#107 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
secondly, I think she may have some mild reflux as I've noticed if I lay her down flat within about 90 minutes of eating, she tends to puke, but if I have her propped, she's fine. So now I have her propped with her head and shoulders on the pillow and my arm under her back, that seems to be her favorite position and the position she doesn't squirm around in.
Hi Shannon, as a btdt mama of 2 serious refluxers, yeah the worst position is on the back. Slightly propped is great - glad you found a comfy position that works for both of you. Another thing to try if needed is left-side lying b/c it helps to close her gastroesophageal sphincter. And yeah, tummy sleeping on an incline (e.g., kangaroo style on your chest with you propped with some pillows) works wonders too... you should see all the teeny babies in the NICU sleeping on their tummies with their bassinetts raised at a very steep incline! Of course I know the SIDS thing, but wanted to give feedback that on belly upright against you or at an incline helps a lot.
#108 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 01:37 PM

Morning LAdies.....
nothing terribly exciting going on here. I'm working from home again. Its actually really nice, Ik've got all the real work offloaded already, and am just working quietly in the background on paperwork to help the other 2 folks out until i go into labor. I do have to go into the office this afternoon for my review from last year, so that should be interesting.

welcome to Irina - great birth story

peri - i hope you go into labor naturally - are you doing all the prelim stuff - sex, herbs, etc?

I second Kates cosleeping queswtions... I'm envisioning me with blankets only to my waist, and no pillow and baby in a sleep sack, and dog on the floor. Am i doing this right?
#109 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 01:50 PM

Joy, no herbs. I am a total herb-o-phobe. Plus I think an induction drug is an induction drug, whether bottled or not, and don't want to do anything like that since I'm a VBAC.

Sex however, begrudgingly, not yet. But we have a date for tonight!
#110 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 02:01 PM

I struggle with those questions, too Periwinkle... i've settled on rrl because its a uterine tonic, NOT an inducer... but the cohoshes scare me. And don't even talk to me about caster oil. *shudder*
#111 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good morning ladies! I got sooo much done yesterday! I had hired a girl to come help me. She scrubbed all my floors and under my stove and fridge (gross!) I got all my laundry caught up and am in the process of getting it all put away now! I went thru all my paperwork and taxes (yuck) and cleaned my laundry/mudroom that is a catch all for everything!! Anyway, it feels so good to have something accomplished!!

Anyway... I am suppose to being going out of town this weekend for a wedding. It's 3.5 hours away and I really don't want to miss it! It is dh's brother. Anyway, I just don't know what to do. As much as I would love to go early I seriously dought that will be happening so I will probably be okay to go... it will just be an uncompfortable ride. YK? Anyway, so I am trying to make the decision as to weather or not I am going. Will be talking to my mw in a little bit!

Congrats dandylion and welcome baby Irina!! Your birth story was wonderful!!

Gotta run! Ds is crying! Check in later

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
#112 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 04:36 PM

On baby oils - my babies have both come out with no vernix left and starting to peel. Really flakey dry peeling skin. So I slather them with Weleda Baby Cream, which is a nice mild calundela and lavander ointment. I use it on the baby's bottom with every diaper change, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtchyhlr
I second Kates cosleeping queswtions... I'm envisioning me with blankets only to my waist, and no pillow and baby in a sleep sack, and dog on the floor. Am i doing this right?
There's a lot of cosleeping guidlines online:
http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/5...family-bed.htm
http://www.drjaygordon.com/ap/cosleeping.htm

Somehow it all sounds tricker than it is... and it's very easy to violate some of the rules (like never nap on a couch with a baby). You'll figure it out pretty quickly.
In general - yah, keep fluffy bedding away from the baby (I've done both the sleeping with covers only to my waist thing and the keeping the baby under a seperate blanket thing - on the sheet, not on my blanket). No pillows for the baby or near the baby (reflux is a different HARD issue,my ped actually told me to put ds1 on his tummy for it). I think you can be more casual if you're sleeping with the baby on your arm as opposed to next to you, because you're a lot more aware.
#113 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 05:49 PM

Ahh the Weleda Diaper cream is scrumptious!!!

Co sleeping- It seems I am most comfortable having the babys head propped up by the neck area. It is the same position that I would being holding them standing up. The top part of my arm is around the neck, in a cradle hold. I use a pillow and I usually tuck the cover around the back of the baby but at their waist line. So the cover is under my arm pit and then around the baby too. We live in Hawaii so we can get kinda toastyafter a bit so I have a blanket for the baby so we don't burn up.

Peri- How would your OB feel about doing a check with the Evening Primrose oil? Just a thought. I used Blue and Black Cohosh before and it will bring on contractions. I don't think it wouldn't be anything you couldn't handle though. If you are this far you could probably do some spicy food and sex and have some labor, these remedies will work only if baby is ready.
#114 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 05:59 PM

LaSofia, I agree, with the baby on your arm, you're completely aware, and somehow I sleep better, I guess knowing she'll wake me if she was in trouble, when I had her beside me, I woke every 10 minutes or so to check where and how she was laying--that and somehow the little imp manages to move when my eyes are closed to get closer to me anyway--and her ways are not nearly as safe as mine!
Joy, I was really stressed about it, but really, it's kinda come very naturally for me, I've just sort of followed my instincts about whether she's ok or not--oh and since she's been home, neither dog has come up on the bed--once when Molly and I were napping and Steve was not in the bed, I invited them up, but the both seem to know to stay a good distance away from her--and this had really worried me, especially where Bedlam was concerned--cause she used to like to co-sleep with me, snuggled into my body.

So, I took Molly in for her check up today, she's not gaining quite as well as the doctor would like to see, she's only at 6-4 and she was 6-2 last friday, I tend to think it has to do with all the constipation issues of the past week. Of course I'm telling my doctor about my poor stopped up girl and explaining that when she does go, it's little pebbles in her diaper (thank god I brought a stool sample to show her!) we get her undressed and go to remove her diaper and she's got soft poop smeared everywhere, up her back, down her legs, you name it, it was everywhere--this is like bringing your car to the mechanic because of that noise it always makes only to have it run fine once you're there! Oh well, maybe the breast milk is kicking in--oooohhh I hope so!!

So who's having a baby next???????????????
#115 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 06:24 PM

First of all...Welcome baby Irina!!!

Secondly, I went to the doctor today...Appointment was at 9 but Brian dropped me off at 8 so he could go to physical therapy. The office opens at 8 and they fit me in at 8:15 and did the normal weight, BP thing and then at 8:30 they hooked me up to the fetal monitor...I had 2 BH contractions during the test...and Zander kept punching the heart monitor and the machine would loose his heart beat...but when it was working his heart was usually between 132-145 which is good ...and when he would kick and get mad or whatever it would go up to 150-160.

After the monitor thing...it was finally 9 and time for my check up...the midwife that taught my lamaze class was helping out at my doctor's office so she was the one who examined me...she said I'm down from 3 sores to 1...they are going to keep me on the valtrex until I deliver...so I'm gonna go back to the doctor at 9:30 Tuesday Feb 8th for one last check up (most likely Brian will drop me off at 8 again )...and then chances are I will be scheduling a C-section for the week of Valentine's Day .
#116 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 07:40 PM

Regarding the co-sleeping questions. The sleep sacks are great because they keep baby warm without a need for blankets - I loved mine. Safety wise you really should try to keep blankets and pillows away from baby - especially big thick comforters, these things tend to move around real easy and are heavy over a baby. I use a really light bedspread normally anyways though. I can't sleep without a pillow so I never stopped sleeping with one but I'm also an extremely light sleeper and the second the baby would move an inch I was awake. If you are a heavier sleeper you might want to kill the pillow idea - you will be able to tell after just a few nights with the babe.

#117 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 08:01 PM

Hi everyone. Monica, The Graceless Wonder, has sprained her ankle. : I guess I sprained it a few weeks back when chasing my escaped cats and the extra weight I have been carrying around has just made it worse and worse. I'm on strict orders to stay off my feet, keep it up and iced, and to take it easy. Man, this sucks. The Dr also ordered up an x-ray for me (I have to call to schedule it) as a just in case to rule out a fracture. She explained to me that they would either x-ray me with a large shield or refuse me...it all depends on the workers. Do you think I should do it? I'm kind of thinking that I shouldn't...I mean, I KNOW if it were a fracture wouldn't I? I'll also ask this question in the main board.

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

#118 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 09:08 PM

Sorry Monica, hope you get better soon. That does stink!

If it were me I would just hold off on the X ray until after the birth.
#119 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 10:56 PM

Monica: I would just have them splint it and hold off of the x-rays. You are so close to birth it just isn't worth it and they would just probably splint it anyway if it were fractured.

I'll check back and write more later.

Love, Tricia
#120 of 205 Old 02-03-2005, 10:59 PM

Monica-I sprained my right ankle on Christmas Day...so your not the only one who lacks grace...but I never went to the doctor...and it still hurts...and I have swollen ankles anyway...but the right one is definately bigger than the left!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page