I had my baby! Birth story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-05-2005, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Evan’s Birth Story

February 4th 2005 at around 11am I had an uncomfortable contraction, nothing serious I could still talk through it but it was definitely different then the Braxton Hicks contractions I had been having, I called the midwife on call but told her I didn’t want her to come yet because I wasn’t certain that this was labor, but I did want to give her a heads up incase things started to pick up. I had another one about 30 minutes later, and another about 20 minutes later and another 10 minutes after that. Right around noon I had the first contraction I had to breathe through, and I started timing them, right away they were 4 minutes apart and lasting 50 seconds I called the midwives and asked them to come, within 45-60 minutes the contractions were 2 minutes apart and lasting a minute. During this time my mom was doing some light cleaning & my husband was inflating the birth pool. When I would have a contraction Alexia (4 years old) would run over to me and start rubbing my lower back, and start yelling for grandma or daddy to come quick to rub my back, the pain was by far the worst in my back, this labor was very similar to what I felt during my first labor. My husband finally got the birth pool up and started filling it, I got in around 1:30, I was moaning and making a lot of noise, contractions right on top on each other. Alexia was great she kept saying “You’re ok mommy, just breathe” then she would go running to grandma and say “mommy’s in labor that means Evan is coming” she was very well prepared for this birth and did so well, I am so proud of her. I was getting nervous that the midwives weren’t there yet, and I yelled “where are those damn midwives” just then Erin opened my front door & I sighed a HUGE sigh of relief! Midwives arrived at about 2:30. They checked my temp & baby’s heart beat only twice before my water broke and I needed to push, they barely had the birth supplies laid out & all of their equipment inside. I started pushing & he started crowning almost immediately, they told me to use little gentle pushes and breathe baby out—it was so hard! After his head was out they kept telling me to push, Alexia said “that doesn’t look like a head, it looks like a bone”. I kept pushing and he was out in 2 more pushes! 2:55pm, less then 3 hours from the time my contractions got stronger, 4 hours from the time I had the first contraction that wasn’t painless. Placenta was delivered within a few minutes, baby took a few minutes to pink up but he was great! I got out of the pool & was moved to the couch, I was bleeding quite a bit but the midwives tortured me or massaged my fundus and the bleeding slowed down. Evan nursed like a champ within 10 minutes of his birth and has been nursing wonderfully since. I took a shower (the water in the birth pool was nasty!) & settled down with my new family. I had 2 TINY tears just inside of my vagina near the perineum, no sutures required. Evan was 8 pounds 12 ounces (small compared to big sis’s 9 pounds 7 ounces), 21.5 inches long, head was 14 inches! He looks exactly like Alexia did as a newborn, just a little thinner. Alexia got to cut the cord and she is very proud of that! I am very proud of my family, everything went very well and the birth was very intense but amazing! If we have more kids they will also be born at home with midwives!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 02-05-2005, 04:35 PM

I'm not in your DDC (I'm April) but I wanted to congratulate you on what sounds like an AMAZING birth!!! Everything sounds perfect and how proud you must be of your DD....a natural born doula if I've ever heard of one! Many congratulations to you on your baby boy - well done Mama!!!

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#3 of 12 Old 02-05-2005, 04:38 PM

Congratulations Lisa!! Sounds like a fantastic birth. Happy birthday little Evan. Big sister Alexis did a fantastic job, what a champ!
#4 of 12 Old 02-05-2005, 05:41 PM

Baby Evan!!! Congratulations Mama!!!! You did a great job! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful birth experience!

Keep up the good work and here's hoping that breastfeeding and this transition time goes very smoothly for you

Love, Tricia
#5 of 12 Old 02-05-2005, 08:28 PM

Congratulations on the birth of your son

Sounds like a wonderful experience
#6 of 12 Old 02-05-2005, 10:44 PM

Congratulations, Lisa!! : : You did such a great job!! Welcome to the world baby Evan! :
#7 of 12 Old 02-05-2005, 10:45 PM

Congratulations!!!! What an awesome birth story!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#8 of 12 Old 02-05-2005, 10:56 PM

Great job Lisa!!!! Welcome Evan!!
#9 of 12 Old 02-06-2005, 02:18 AM

Congratulations! That was a great birth story! Your DD is too precious- definitely a born doula!
#10 of 12 Old 02-06-2005, 03:08 AM

What a beautiful gift you gave your daughter by having her at the birth! I am a mom to be and a childbirth professional. We talk so much about "normalizing" birth and how that really begins with teaching/ modeling for our kids about normal birth. Alexa will always have a special bond with that baby.

Very many congratulations to you and your family! Happy Babymoon!!!
#11 of 12 Old 02-06-2005, 10:45 AM

Congratulations to you and your family. What a great birth.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#12 of 12 Old 02-06-2005, 02:21 PM

Welcome baby Evan! Congratulations Lisa!!!! How wonderfully exciting and what an amazing birth story! Thank you so much for sharing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page