Feb 7th - Feb 13th -- We're in the thick of things now!!! - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 207 Old 02-11-2005, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use a backpack for a diaper bag - I just make sure the straps are loose enough, and put it on after I have the sling on & the baby in & situated. It works.

Oh, and Davey really likes the "surprised" smiley, Heve - he's laughing his fool head off every time the jaw drops, and is imitating it to boot!
I had my baby shower last Saturday I told my best friend that I was having baby-shower envy, so she put together one for me : So I now have about 2 weeks of dinners in the freezer, and a few batches of muffins! YAY! The only thing that disappointed me was that one of my mom's neighbors, who was invited but couldn't make it, dropped off a whole case of newborn disposable diapers with the message "Something for the baby - EVERYBODY needs these!" permanent-markered to the box. Even though the invitation said that I needed NOTHING for the baby, as I have stacks of diapers, piles of clothes, all the "gadgets"..... I just felt bad because a case of 'sposies is EXPENSIVE, and I can't bring myself to use them on the baby, and I can't return them to the store with the markered message on the box I know she meant well, but it made me feel bad for her. Luckily, I have an acquaintance that was willing to trade me for them, so I'm getting a baby scrapbook kit in exchange.
#152 of 207 Old 02-11-2005, 07:35 PM

Thanks, mendhi. Good to know the straps of a backpack still work with a sling. I've got waterproof ditty bags, so I thought a backpack (that we already own) would work, but I couldn't figure out how it wouldn't interfere with the slings...do you carry it on one shoulder only? I find that a pain...
#153 of 207 Old 02-11-2005, 08:01 PM

No, I carry it on both shoulders. And my slings are padded, too. If you're using a ring-sling, the rings are usually right about at the spot where the shoulder-strap of the sling crosses, so the sling doesn't hold the backpack straps out funny at all, like you'd think it would. And the other shoulder is totally free, so nothing to get in the way there. So it does work. Only took me 10 years to figure it out on my own is all (I kept picturing straps sliding off my shoulders because the sling was getting in the way, so I never tried it`before!)
#154 of 207 Old 02-11-2005, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heveasoul
Back to practising my "surprised" look - tomorrow is my "SURPRISE!!!!" shower...
: <--how's that?
: That's just too frickin hilarious!!!!
#155 of 207 Old 02-11-2005, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello everyone! I am trying to stay away from the stomach virus that has ds completly out of comission! I have only seen him sicker one other time and that was when he had terrible food poisoning!! So I am really hoping to stear clear of this! My stomach is hurting a little bit so hopefully it's not the beginning! Both of my kids have had it too! Yuck!!

Joy! Hope all is well and you are just enjoying your little one!!

Take care everyone!

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
#156 of 207 Old 02-11-2005, 08:42 PM

i like small diaper bags - i use a tiny sports bag. Usually you don't need much, esp. if you can keep stuff in the car too.
But then, I also have a deep chinese print Big Purse I use sometimes - that holds lots of stuff plus my purse, camera, everything.
I'm thinking I might have to use it more now, since I'll need room not just for the baby but also ds. I like to have water and snacks and spare clothes for him too, at least in the car.

Oh, and we named the baby! Ilario Joshua, Rio for short. (Ee-lah-ree-oh). It means cheerful. :-)
#157 of 207 Old 02-11-2005, 08:45 PM

I'm finding myself so impatiant and agitated tonight. I just want to have this baby. I'm so tired and uncomfortable. I still have a week til my due date and I'm sure I'll go over. I've had two nights of hard contractions where I can't sleep then they are gone in the day. I'm getting so short with dh and the kids. We have a huge weekend ahead. Dh is at a lazer tag place with ds1 right now for his 13th birthday (which is the 16th of Feb) I just didn't feel up to going so I feel like the worst mom in the world for that. Tomorrow we have two birthday parties to attend plus dh has a daddy/daughter dance with the girls. I just feel like I can't do this anymore. I'm in so much pain everywhere. Ugh! The last couple weeks of pregnancy feel like a lifetime.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#158 of 207 Old 02-11-2005, 09:03 PM

Heve, that waist pack will likely be big enough for short trips, I have a tiny diaper bag that came with a set of Winnie the Pooh bedding I got at a garage sale--I haven't bothered to get a better one on that off chance someone will throw a surprise shower for me say on the 20th of this month : It works but I do have it stuffed pretty tight--however, my diaper bag of course has to hold and ice pack and 2 bottles--so because you come equipped with a "feeding device" you should be fine. I have to always bring only one cloth diaper and a couple disposables to make everything fit cause I can't get 2 prefolds and an extra cover in the tiny bag along with bottles and ice pack.

Stell, so glad to have you back! I always find you have so much information to pass along

Molly looks so funny right now, she's laying across my arms and sortof into my chest while I type this but she's got her head tilted back as far as I will allow her to tilt it and both arms and both legs stretched out like she's trying to make a snow angel or something! She's sound asleep and has been like this for over 1/2 hour now! Boy she's a cutie, now I know why people do this more than once even if they did have the first pregnancy from hell I really didn't know there was a love this deep
#159 of 207 Old 02-11-2005, 09:16 PM

Awwww.....I love that flung-out sleeping baby pose I must have missed something, Shannon - I didn't know you couldn't nurse My apologies for the nursing in the bathtub comment!
#160 of 207 Old 02-11-2005, 09:17 PM

VERY HAPPY TO ANNOUNCE THE BIRTH OF OUR 1ST BABY!!!

CAME A WEEK EARLY ON early Monday 2/7/05 @12:17AM (exactly 24 hrs from the time my water broke). We basically had just laid down for bed on Sat. night and water broke within 10 minutes! 24 exhausting hrs of labor later...

Edward IV arrived!

I CANNOT SAY ENOUGH GOOD THINGS ABOUT OUR DOULA!!! If anyone needs one in Tampa, FL let me know (my email is vertsk8r@aol.com). My husband was wonderful but we couldn't have done it so well without her tireless assistance!

Got an epi @5cm dilation. We had him circumcised & it wasn't as bad as I've heard everyone say. He cried more about the stupid bath they gave him. If I had one thing to change I would have been adament about him NOT getting a bath. He was plenty clean already. Ok'd the Vitamin K shot & the eye drops (as I was GBS +) but he's a little trooper and fussed but didn't cry.

How incredible and wonderful!!! I'm so happy. Breastfeeding going absolutely GREAT... I thought it would hurt as I have always had sensitive nipples but it feels terrific!!!!

Thanks for listening and all your help!!!
Carrie
#161 of 207 Old 02-11-2005, 09:36 PM

No worries Stell, we knew going in that it would be unlikely, I do wish she would at least latch on for comfort though, but the only thing she latches on to is my finger or a bottle. It's still a good idea though, I can feed her a bottle while I'm in the tub with her. To make up for the lack of breast feeding I very often feed her with both of us undressed for lots of skin to skin and cuddle her very close and make sure to look in her eyes--she does love to eat, so I think that idea will work and I'll give it a try tomorrow morning--she has to be clean to attend Heve's surpise shower (shhhhh, don't tell Heve!!)
Congrats Carrie and welcome to the world little Eddie!!!
#162 of 207 Old 02-11-2005, 10:19 PM

Went to the OB appt today. She didn't check to see how much I have dialated because she didn't want to start something when we are really hoping to make it 5 more days for my mom and friend to arrive. Well, on the way back home, my back started cramping (like menstral pains) and my lower abdomen. DH and I were freaking out, but when we got home and I walked around a bit, they stopped. Hopefully it was nothing.

Just wanted you all to know that Kimba posted on the birth stories thread that she had her little girl Lucy. Can't remember the details.( PG brain)

Better go for now. Take care!
Love, Tricia
#163 of 207 Old 02-11-2005, 10:21 PM

Also, I wanted to comment on bathing. We used a baby bath that fit in the sink in the kitchen. We also warmed the towel in the dryer while we were bathing her so she would have a nice warm towel when she was finished. HTH
#164 of 207 Old 02-12-2005, 01:06 AM

Oh you guys, I feel so bad. Melanie is sick with bronchitis! I knew she wasn't getting well from her cold, and her cough seemed to be worse, but I thought she was okay. She had a fever a couple of days ago, then it went away. Then she got a fever again, and again I didn't take her to the doctor because it went away with a little tylenol and she seemed fine the next morning. But this evening her fever was really high (the ear thermometer said 104!) so I had dh take her to urgent care while I stayed home with the baby. My poor little girl. She has to take antibiotics now. I hope she doesn't miss the holiday party at her preschool, she's so excited about it. I feel so crummy for not taking her in sooner, but she wouldn't tell us that she felt bad. It wasn't until Wednesday that she acted sick, and then Thursday she seemed fine again. She was a trooper at the doctor's office, and told me on the cell phone about how she got 2 Dora stickers.

In other news, I got a call from my school today. My principal wants me to come in (during my maternity leave) to have a meeting with her about my evaluation. The law is that they have to notify us by March 15th if they're going to non-continue (fire) us for the following year. Since I'm coming back from maternity leave on March 23, I think the reason she wants to meet with me next week is to fire me. Ugh, what a bummer. I was going to resign anyway, at the end of the year, but still my pride is hurt. A crummy day all around.

Someone have a baby and cheer me up!
#165 of 207 Old 02-12-2005, 01:11 AM

Lesley, what a horrible day for you! How crummy. I hope that's not why she called a meeting. Get some snuggles in with Hazel. I hope Mel starts feeling better soon. Don't beat yourself up over it.
#166 of 207 Old 02-12-2005, 01:13 AM

I'm sorry Leslie, that is a crummy day
I can't have another baby to cheer you up, but if it will help I'll take a picture of Heve's surprise face tomorrow afternoon so we can all laugh at it
#167 of 207 Old 02-12-2005, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
I can't have another baby to cheer you up, but if it will help I'll take a picture of Heve's surprise face tomorrow afternoon so we can all laugh at it
:LOL

: : : (extra ones for Davey!)
#168 of 207 Old 02-12-2005, 02:13 AM

:LOL I'll be sure to show him in the morning (but not while I'm still grouchy & not in the mood for noise - he does sound effects to go with the face!)
#169 of 207 Old 02-12-2005, 10:08 AM

Leslie, sending lots of good well wishes to Mel. Bronchitis is yucky, but with the antibiotics it will clear up pretty quickly. Does she drink tea? Linden ( Tilia ) brewed for 20 mins with some honey and lemon works really well at soothing, esp. if she is coughing. I give it to dd when she has a cough and she loves it.

Heve, hope you have a somewhat enjoyable shower tomorrow afternoon. Would love to see a pic of you being surprised!!

Tricia, hope that you hold off for a couple more days!

I am waiting on anxiously ( but trying to appear calm! ) as my mucus plug has come out, which it never has before, not that it is an indication, but still. I guess I am so excited to actually be in labour and have the baby.
I am so tired, but not sleeping at night as I have this crazy idea in my head that my water will break or I will go into labour then?????
Oh, please put me out of my crazy misery someone!!!
What I need is a good ol' drink to help me relax!!
Dh has a bottle of Mumm to pop for after, but I am tempted to slug the whole lot right now!!!

Ok, off to read Kimba's birth story.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#170 of 207 Old 02-12-2005, 11:40 AM

Hi everybody! Congrats to everyone who has their little one since last time I read up on the threads. Kane is better now, he still looks like a little pin cushion at least they are just scabs now and not tubes and such. He is on formula now (please don't flame me) it is hard feeding him a bottle but he is getting so much better, his color is good and he is kicking around he acts like a normal baby now. Well I just wanted to check in with everyone.

Here is a question...should I still be sore it has almost been 3 weeks and my stiches bleed every now and then dh looked at them and they are hardly swollen anymore and my bruises are almost gone but man they still hurt.

Doula mama to my 3 bugs
#171 of 207 Old 02-12-2005, 12:46 PM

Guess what! My water broke this morning!
Of course, that just means I could go in the next day or so - I usually don't birth for a good 24-36 hours after a spontaneous rupture.....but still, it's exciting! Not much further now!
#172 of 207 Old 02-12-2005, 01:06 PM

Congratulations Carrie! Sounds like everything went very well for you

Lesley: I'm sorry you had a crummy day I hope that's not the reason for the meeting. I'm thinking of you

Heve: Enjoy your "surprise" shower! :LOL I want to see pictures Shannon...get some good ones

Stell! OMG Yay! How exciting!!! I hope you have that baby today

ekblad: I agree with you about the last couple weeks feeling like a lifetime. This entire pregnancy FLEW by! Faster than any of my other pregnancies, but the last month goes by at snails pace. Ugh!

Tricia: Wow about the labor scare! I'm praying that the baby waits til next week for you.

Everyone else: If I forgot you I apologize...pregnancy brain is the pits. Here's a

This baby is sure gearing me up for long nights ahead. I am having a lot of trouble sleeping this week. I just wake up at 3 or 4am and I can't fall back asleep. It is very annoying and I feel like a zombie for the rest of the day. I woke up totally nesting yesterday and cleaned like a mad woman. I'm completely ready for this baby now and I think I realize it this morning because I have no energy left. I'm wiped out and lethargic and I am so huge and uncomfortable. I'm so ready to have this baby and get my strength back.

Ok anyone have cheese for my whine? :LOL

Have a great day!

p.s. JOY WHERE ARE YOU?????????????????
#173 of 207 Old 02-12-2005, 01:39 PM

Go Stell, Go Stell, Go Stell - WOO HOOO!!!!!!!

Try to get some rest today before labor starts!!!

Kitty

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#174 of 207 Old 02-12-2005, 02:10 PM

I'm so excited for you Stell!! Can't wait to hear how your birth goes!! It won't be long now!

Traci: Hopefully you will sleep much better once the baby comes. I know when I was PG with Chloe I slept a million times better than when I was PG and uncomfortable.

GOAL FOR THE DAY:
Clear up this constipation!!!!!! I did a search and found a lot of good ideas. This morning I'm having a big bowl of oatmeal with pecans and wheat germ and a cup of warm apple juice. I've already drank a big cup of water which I will continue to do throughout the day. I do have metimusal(spelling?) for later on if needed. I really don't feel like going to the store, so I'm just going with what I have at home. Also, been munching on mini wheats cereal. I don't know when the last time I went was. 2-3 days ago or so. Gotta get this cleared up. Wish me luck.

I'll write more later.

Love, Tricia
#175 of 207 Old 02-12-2005, 02:57 PM

Stell -- Sending you many gentle, birthing vibes!

hevea -- enjoy your "surprise".... Can't wait to hear all about it!

computergeek2.gif  Spirit Baby Intuitive (and really cool chick)

#176 of 207 Old 02-12-2005, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Ladies!!

Yeah Stell!! I hope things get going quickly for you! Can't wait to hear your birth story!!

Lesley ~ Hope Mel gets feeling better soon! I really hate having sick kids! It is sooo sad!

Congrats Carrie!! How exciting!!

Heav ~ Hope your shower turns out okay!! Good luck!!

I did end up getting the stomach virus my family had and puked and had the runs something awful last yesterday and last night! It was miserable!! It is so not fair to be that sick while this pregnant!! Not fun at all!! It did bring on contractions but nothing more than I have been having... so guess I am just going to have to hang on a while. I am cleaning and disinfecting everything today... as I have the energy. I am wiped out from being sick. My mom is coming to help later! Yeah!!

Good luck to all those laboring and congrats to all the new mama's!!

Oh yeah... Joy.... where are you? I hope everything is okay and you are just enjoying your new baby!!

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
#177 of 207 Old 02-12-2005, 08:26 PM

Stell, thinking of you, so excited!!!

Amber, sorry to hear that you have been sick. That is really horrible when you are this pg. Not fair. Thank goodness we have managed to steer clear of that plague for now.

Ok ladies. I did post on the main board, but I really need some hemorrhoid help fast.
I have develpoed some really bulgy lil' suckers that will not go down in size, and really are pretty uncomfortable. I could deal, but you know I am worried about L&D, and how they will affect me, especailly during the pushing stage. They hurt like hell right now, so I cannot imagine what they will feel like then, or after!
I eat lots of fibre, water and am using suppositories and Prep H cream, but nothing seems to help much at all. The suppositories actually make you want to go more, which just irritates the issue!
Sorry if this is TMI, but I need help!!!!!

Jasmine

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#178 of 207 Old 02-12-2005, 09:15 PM

Jasmine: Have you tried witch hazel on some cotton balls and just left on the hemorrhoids? That ususally works for me. I just change them out when I go to the bathroom. I have a few small ones that have been irritating me lately due to my constipation and that has helped.
#179 of 207 Old 02-12-2005, 09:33 PM

My baby has arrived!!!

Gavin Joseph was born Wednesday, February 9, at 7:37am. He weighed 6 lbs. 14 ozs. and was 20 inches long. He is so perfect and I just love him so much!!!

The birth was absolutely beautiful. My new midwife and doulas (I had 2) were priceless and really helped to make things special. It was a fast birth too- we got to the hospital at 4am and he was born at 7:37am!

Hope everyone here is doing well. I will try to catch-up later. Congratulations to any new Mommies out there!
#180 of 207 Old 02-12-2005, 09:37 PM

Jasmine...I was going to recommend mineral oil, but I just read that it can interfere with absorption of nutrients and cause bleeding in newborns so that nixes that idea. Preparation H is the only other thing I can recommend and I don't know if that's safe either.

Don't use toilet paper. When my 'rhoids act up I use a warm, damp washcloth to clean down there because it isn't as rough as TP. I hope you can get rid of them. Why don't you call your midwife/OB and ask for help??? They might be able to write you a script for a suppository or something. Rhoids are NOT fun!

I'm still pregnant and still losing pieces of my mucous plug. I've walked laps around my neighborhood and through the local Wal Mart today and still no progress. I had a couple of good contractions and then they stopped. Story of my life. I gave the baby an eviction notice the other day so hopefully he'll listen and get out soon.

On that note...do any of you know of ways to induce labor naturally? Besides walking, sex, and spicy foods I don't know of anything else I can do to encourage labor.

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page