Feb 7th - Feb 13th -- We're in the thick of things now!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oooh goodie I get to start the new thread!

kavamamakava February home waterbirth
Kater07 Lorelei Michelle Born 1/30/05
Isabeau due early February
3 Little Birds due Feb 1
Chiku due Feb 1 birthing center
Parker'smommy (Heather) due Feb 1
Lisashepp (Lisa) Evan born Feb 5(?)
Sadkitty. Due Feb 1st
FreeThinker Laina Beth born Feb 1
Dandylion (Stephanie) Irina Zoey born Feb 1
Truvie due Feb 2
Lasofia Baby Boy born January 27
PeacefulVegan, due Feb 3 home waterbirth
Lou due Feb 3
Orange due Feb 3 Birth Center with OB
Twin Mom (Deb) VBA2C homebirth Joe born 1/23
Free Thinker (Mandy) due Feb 5
Wtchyhlr (Joy) due Feb 5, homebirth
HelloKitty (Kitty) Maxwell Dennis born Feb 4
Letabug (Arleta) Kane Aubry born 1/25
LianneM due Feb 7 homebirth
TexasSuz (Susan) - Leah Sheryl born 1/24
Happymamajenni (Jenni) due Feb 7 hospital/OBGYN
Lousli - Hazel born 12/21
Parthenia due Feb 7 home waterbirth
DeirdreAlison (Deirdre) due 1st week Feb homebirth, maybe waterbirth
New Life Due Feb 8
kimbalicious due Feb 9 - hospital birth with midwives
ElizaBird (Eliza) due Feb 9 - home waterbirth of twins
Shannon0218 - Molly Joan born 1/24
ella-makes-3 (Jasmine) - due ~ Feb. 11 midwife/natural birth at birth center
Marcella due Feb 11 homebirth
HeleneP, due Feb 12
Tug (Terenia) - Mia born 1/29
lisabc311, baby#2, due Feb 13
Firefly due Feb 13
Christi due Feb 14 hospital birth with fab OB
Periwinkle due Feb 14
Fairymomma (Pamela) due Feb 14
Jorie (Margorie) due Feb 14
AmBam (Amber) due Feb 14 homebirth
carrie24 (Carrie) due Feb 15
rose angel (Karen) due Feb 16
mama2m&m (Denise) due Feb 16
HydeParkB due Feb 17
Karennnnn (Karen) due Feb 17
Coopsmama (Kristen) William Sidney born Feb ? (Groundhog Day)
Bella'smamma (Cecily) due Feb 17
luvmytwo (Karen) due Feb 17
HydeParkB (Bridget) due Feb 17
Gretchen Due Feb 18
Zandersmom due Feb 18
weesej (Jen) Due Feb 19 - Emmanuel Colin born 1/13
Ekblad7+ (Amy) due Feb 20 Homebirth
kinsey43 (Kinsey) due after Feb 20
heveasoul due Feb 21, h/b with m/w
veggiemommy (Holly), due Feb 21
shyly (Monica) due Feb 21 home waterbirth
mehndimama (Stell) due Feb 22 unassisted homebirth
Emmama due Feb 22, homebirth
Mainemon (Susan) due Feb 23 homebirth w/midwife
earthmama007 due 25 Feb 3rd homebirth
Mama2Chloe (Tricia) due 25 Feb #2
Threeforme2005 (Traci) due Feb 25
artgirl (Kelly) #2 Feb. 26
munki'sMom (Tammy), baby #2 due Feb 26
woolfairy (Elle) due Feb 27, baby #2 homebirth
Maprilynne (Aprilynne) due Feb 28, birth center
KateSt. Late Feb. Homebirth
4Given (Stacey) due end of Feb
#2 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Congratulations Kitty!!!! :

I am currently trying to decide whether to move up my c-section to this Wed or keep it next Wed (2.16). I am totally freaked about a failed trial of labor (VBAC, big baby, malposition, etc.) and am thinking that the natural birth vs. planned c-section is tipping in favor of a planned c-section, so my OB can have the General Surgeon there he wants as opposed to risk an unplanned c-sec with no GS (I had major adhesions last time that caused some complications so need a GS there). The plan is if I go into labor beforehand then I try naturally.

I'm feeling OK but am having SERIOUS kicks/thumps/punches on my cervix. What is up with this? Anyone else's baby do this? The baby was head's down last week, but how can his/her hands be on my cervix if his/her head is, kwim?
#3 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh my goodness! I was gone for the weekend and there was so much to catch up on!! I know there were at least 2 babies born!! Congrats Kitty and I can't remember who else right now! I will have to go back and check!!

I am 39 weeks today!! I was hoping this baby would come early but have decided that probably won't happen! I've had a lot of contractions so I hope they are preparing my cervix so when I do go into labor it will be quick. (I had a 32 hour labor with my last one and am not looking forward to doing that again!!) Anyway, I gotta run! There is a lot to catch up on so I will be back!!

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
#4 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 11:32 AM

Just subscribing...last prenatal check-up is supposed to be tomorrow...I'm supposed to schedule a C-section tomorrow also...hoping for the best...whatever that may be!!!
#5 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 11:42 AM

WOOHOO Kristin and Kitty - Congratulations on your baby boys

No news here... Still having sporadic, but strong enough to have to lean over the counter and breathe trhough, contractions. Had a couple that woke me up last night. Am thinking this child must have a heck of a sense of humor. *sigh*
#6 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 11:43 AM

Peri, I was feeling the same thing even though she was head down, turns out when the went in to get her she had both hands above her head with her arms alongside her ears--she still sleeps like that

I need some advice, I don't know whether to take Molly to the doctor (OMG, I almost just typed Vet) We're working on the 3rd night with no sleep--which I wouldnt' mind except she seems so damn uncomfortable at night. She's so stuffed up but it's worse if she's in our bedroom--so I've been attempting to sleep with her in the living room and I'm sorely missing out full size couch that we sent to the dump in favor of my mom's old 2 loveseats--I mean, I'm short, but not loveseat short. She breaths slightly better in hte living room but still not as good as during the day. Last night I fell asleep with her in the bathroom with the shower running--she didnt' sleep, just me. On top of that she has the occaisional cough, then comes the puking, basically she takes in bwtween 2 and 3 ounces and pukes up between 1 adn 2 ounces, she's constantly arching her back adn throwing her head back, although she doesn't always cry with this, just looks uncomfortable. The only way she sleeps even a little bit is face down on my chest--which of course means sleeping is out for me (I Know, sucks to be me)
Now that it's morning, she's sleeping in my arms and has been for an hour, but if I put her down or lay down myself, she's awake and mad.
None of this particularily would bother me if not for the fact that she spent the first week of her life seldom crying at all, she's not a fussy baby and I'm fairly convinced she's uncomfortable--I mean she doesn't even fuss with a poopy diaper--course after 7 days of straight constipation, maybe she likes the feel of a mushy poopy diaper.
So if she just has a cold, adding to the reflux, I dont' want to take her to the doctor and end up with antibiotics, but I also don't want to ignore something more serious.
What should I do?????????
#7 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 12:03 PM

I am 39w1d today. Still feeling the same...symptoms that come and go. So, just waiting...

CONGRATULATIONS to our new Mommies!!!!! So happy for you both!

Periwinkle- I have major thumps to the cervix too and my baby is head down. Some really hurt! Good luck with making your decision. It really sounds like a tough one to make.

Elaina- What happened with your swollen legs?

Joy- Wow, still having contractions, huh? Unfortunately they can do this to us for a while before we really hit full-force labor. Hang in there!

Shannon- Never be afraid to call your doctor. Trust your instincts! If the doctor suggests antibiotics you don't have to use them. But I doubt your doctor would with the symptoms you have described. If you aren't comfortable calling your ped. for things then find one that makes you feel comfortable calling for anything. Are you getting any help in the home? Support is really important at this instense time.
#8 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 12:20 PM

For the most part in Canada we see a family doc unless there is a big problem, so she sees my family doc--I really like her and I trust her, however, she's on vacation this week so I'll need to see her partner and I'm not terribly fond of her--but it goes way back adn it's not for medical reasons, my family doc's old partner used to be my GP, she retired after giving birth to a baby with no brain stem or something (to be honest I was only 22 or something, but it was very sad) this doc replaced her and it made me mad when I filled out all these forms asking what I did etc then went in to see her (45 min late) and she proceeded to ask me all the questions instead of just reading the form I filled out, I just got a bad vibe from her--when I asked to switch to my current family doc they refused and said all Dr. x's patients had to move to Dr. Y, so I left the practice for 8 yrs, then needed a family doc again and called and made like I used to be a patient of my current family doc adn they accepted me back to her--even though she knew full well I was Dr. X's patient. I know that was long and drawn out, sorry, no sleep for quite some time now. So basically, I just don't know if I trust this other doc--ya know? Even though I have to see her on Thurs with Molly as my reg doc was concerned about Molly's lack of weight gain and didn't want her to wait until the following week.
Part of the problem which wasn't a problem when it was just me, is that this doctor is 40 min away and frankly, Molly is NOT a fan of the whole car seat experience, I'm almost tempted to find a local family doc, except that while the OB dept is excellent at my hospital, the other facilities are not so great--they just don't have the equipment, my doctor is out of Credit Valley hospital which is state of the art and a teaching hospital so part of me wants to maintain easy access to those services.

Steve is currently stripping our bed and removing the down duvet and the feather bed in hopes that maybe she is reacting to the amount of "feather" products in the bed. The other possibility is worse as our bedroom is the only room that still has carpet and I so hope she's not allergic to something in the carpeting--I absolutely don't know what I'll do if that's the case!! Maybe I'll try to find a double bed to set up in her room and I'll sleep in there with her--but I really miss that my dh is actually home at night (he works nights) and I can't share the bed with him--kwim??, ok, I'm blatently sleep deprived and should stop typing now...

Oh I almost forgot again!! Congrats Kitty!!!!! He's just gorgeous--and cloth diapers right away--you rock, Molly was in disposables until she got home
#9 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 12:28 PM

Shannon,if you are nursing put breastmilk up her nose and leave it for a few and then suction it out.You can also do the plain saline nose drops and do the same thing.A humifidier/hot shower/boiling hot water on the stove so you get some moisture in the air will also help.A Dr cannot do anything for stuffy noses.I hope that helps a bit.
#10 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 12:32 PM

Good morning! Congrats Kitty! He's beautiful!

I've been feeling majorly nauseated for the past couple of days. I'm not sure if it was the food I ate but I've felt like poo the past few nights. I'm fine in the morning though so I'm not complaining right now.

I actually got a good night's sleep last night. I only woke up twice and both times I went right back to sleep the moment I flopped back onto the bed. Amazing. I've finished all of my deep cleaning and now I just have maintenance cleaning to do...it's so nice to have everything done. I wonder how much longer it's going to last.

I hope you all have a good day and I hope your labor progresses Joy.

Monica

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

#11 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 12:33 PM

Also,do you know of a chiro or cranial sacral therapist that works with kids?Adjusting her could really help with reflux/constipation issue.Some babies go through a phase where they have trouble adjusting to sleeping at night and being awake during the day.I used to have to wake my dd several times during the day to get her to sleep at night.It takes a bit but it does help.Make sure you get the chance to catch up on your sleep as well.
#12 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 12:35 PM

Shannon - i HATE to even mention this... could she be sensitive to the dogs?
#13 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 12:44 PM

CONGRATULATIONS, Kitty! CONGRATULATIONS, Kristen! Welcome Max and William!!

Shannon - sorry you're having to deal with this. I would try the steam and bulb syringe first, and try the other room. Do you have a vaporizor going?
#14 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 12:46 PM

Ravenmoon, unfortunately I'm not nursing and I really fear that's half her problem, it breaks my heart, but I haven't produced so much as a drop and the lactation consultant is pretty darn sure that all ducts have been severed to the nipple. She has already been adjusted last week and is due to go back this Wed afternoon, my chiro thinks she has an allergy to cow's milk and that I should try soy--we've just been trying so many things with her diet, I feel I need to give what she's on now a fair chance to work.
Joy, I don't think it's the dogs as she's so much better in the living room and there are way more dogs out here than in the bedroom--also the cat hangs out here and he never goes in the bedroom, most children show an allergy to cats before dogs. We really didn't do much as far as cleaning the bedroom and the actual duvet has not been washed in a while-the cover yes, but not the actual duvet.
#15 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 12:49 PM

Congratulations, Kitty!!!! WELCOME little Max!!!!

I'll check in a bit later!

Love, Tricia
#16 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 12:49 PM

Hi everybody haven't had a chance to catch up on all the posts since Wednesday. Kane got the virus that we all had and ended up being transported to another hospital 2 1/2 hours away. But we are home now and healthy! He had to have a spinal tap and 2 iv's and they kept blowing his veins until I told them if he could wait to please stop torturing him until the nicu nurse and respitory therapist came so they stopped. Well I just wanted to check in, I'm still VERY tired from being in the hospital with him and both boys are napping so I am going to take a nap as well.

Doula mama to my 3 bugs
#17 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 12:50 PM

Tried the bulb syringe, she screams blue murder and thrashes about and it doesn't seem to get much of anything out--but the screaming and crying makes her nose even more stuffed up
Steam just doesn't seem to do much of anything, hours in the shower and she's the same.
I do have the expressed milk left (just a bit) and I'll try that in her wee nose.
#18 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 12:57 PM

Oh , Shannon. What's the status with the donated breast milk?

letabug - ouch! How awful for you and your family! Glad the situation has stabilized. Take care - wishing you all a speedy recovery!

Forgot to say earlier - yay, Chloe, you poo, girl!!
#19 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 01:22 PM

on the breastmilk, we don't have much left, I just really hope it's not the only reason she's pooping--or we're in trouble.
Going to pick up a snugli today in hopes that if I can have her strapped to me upright I may get some sleep--I need a recliner!! (damn, our old couch had recliners on the ends!)
#20 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 01:56 PM

Hi guys - just wanted to let you know I just finished posting my birth story:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...69#post2640369

Our two year old Cam is having a difficult time with jealously so far, poor little guy. Especially when it comes to sharing his nursies. Eeek. Tandem nursing is both a challenge and a thrill - I am quite thankful for big boobs I must say, as some of these crazy positions they want me in
I couldn't handle if I was flat!

Sending labor vibes to all of you in waiting!!!!!!

Kitty

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#21 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 02:12 PM

Okay so turns out pink swollen legs can be caused by tight pink pants :...took my pants off put my feet up for two hours and my legs are back to "normal"..didn't even realize my pants were cutting off my circulation.
#22 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 02:19 PM

Welcome to all of the new babies! Congratulations Dandylion, Lisahepp, Coopsmama, Hellokitty and Freethinker!! Wonderful!

Ds is home today. We let him watch the superbowl. We have to go to MIL's to watch it since we don't have TV and ended up having a small party. So fun. He's been in the bathtub while I've been trying to catch up here!

Dh is traveling this week (back to Canada) He had to drive, so I'm instructed not to go into labor since he'll miss it! I'm not really even close, though--BH, nothing else. I'm betting it'll be right around my due date...so I'm just waiting and kicking back.

We have had some growing pains with ds lately. His behavior has been really "off". We had a family meeting after dh and I figured out some new boundaries, and that seems to be helping. It was a tough weekend, though.

Shannon, a friend of mine has a baby with reflux. She's had success with cranio/sacral therapy and also uses a baby bjorn or a sling to hold him constantly upright. Good luck. Also, dh is allergic to dust, bedrooms are the worst, esp. with carpeting and bedding. You can get stuff to sprinkle on the carpet and vacuum up that'll help, as well as an air filter. We run one in the bedroom constantly and also have a HEPA filter installed on our heating system. That has helped. Dh also doesn't eat any dairy and that has helped his allergies tremendously.

Hugs to you all--new mamas and those still waiting! Good luck to those of you in early labor, being induced and/or trying to make c-section plans. Can't wait to hear more birth stories.

Hope you're all doing well. Hang in there! susan
#23 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 03:24 PM

Morning all

This thread is always hopping. We are a bunch of chatty cathys! :LOL

Congratulations Kitty and Kristen! Welcome to the world little babies

I'm heading out the door so I don't have time for personals, but wanted to pop in and see how the Feb. gang was doing Have a great day!!!
#24 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 03:35 PM

Waayheeeyy!!!! Congrats Kitty. Max is gorgoeus. I read your birth story too. Sounds quick, but painful.

I have been having some pretty intense ligament twinges in the groin area lately. They got really bad last night, and I had a couple of really intense contractions right on top of another.
I have also been so, so tired. I am the kind of person that does well on 4-5 hrs a night, but now I am sleeping for the whole of RI!

Shannon, I have no advice for you on relieving Molly's distress.
I do know what it is like to have a baby that doesn't sleep at all. Just try to get as much help as you can to get through this period.

Susan, glad that you have resolved the "growing pains" with ds, and this week is a little easier on you, especially since Dh is travelling.

Ok mamas. Hope that you are all well and resting lots.
Joy, am thinking about you and sending restful vibes your way.

XX Jasmine

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#25 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 03:37 PM
tug

Hi everybody - wow, i've been gone for a few days and soooo much has happenned. things really are cooking now!

congratulations kitty, lisa, stephanie, and kristen!! woo hoo!

elaina - i have to apologize. i just keep laughing over the pink pants thing. i'm sorry, i'm sure it was scary before you realized what was causing the problem...

heve - sorry about the shower woes. i second shannon on the primo viaggio. we have one and loved it for james. we don't use the stroller really and it is pretty heavy, but the car seat carry along thingy works well for us (and did with ds too).

shannon - sorry about the reflux/allergies. hope you find something that works. mia has something going on -gas? she needs to sit upright a lot too and hates, hates sleeping on her back. our compromise is she sleeps on her side and i sleep face to face with her to make sure she's ok. on the ebm you got, are you gonna be able to get more or was that a one time kind of thing? i wish so much that we could help.

joy - hope you are feeling well and resting for the big day which seems to be coming... slowly and frustratingly but it's coming!

susan - is ds's behavior thing just age or a reaction to the coming baby? do they have reactions to new babies at his age (versus, like, a two year old)? sending you waiting out the week vibes!

tricia - yay for chloe! james has not regressed yet with the toilet training, but is not as far along as chloe either. yesterday though, he did tell me he had to go potty before doing it (before, he has said "mommy, i pee pee" right as he does it. yesterday, he galloped around the apartment yelling "potty, potty, potty!" BEFORE he peed. yay!!!).

leta - how horrible! i hope everybody is better soon and that you get some rest.

by the way, is anybody finding that their breasts are, like, ten times normal size? i don't remember them being this outrageously huge with james. i feel like the biggest cow. moo.

we went to two parades this weekend. mia slept through them but james had a good time. happy mardi gras all!

terenia
#26 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 03:43 PM

Just a quick check in to subscribe...be back later to read all the posts

Congratulations Kitty!!!
#27 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Shannon do an MDC search on reflux and you'll find several great threads. Molly sounds like classic reflux. One word (ok, 3): prescription Zantac liquid (given several times a day in a small bottle of milk). Ok, understand that I never ever give dd and ds meds and am totally anti-medicine unless needed, but the stuff is great, and I researched the heck out of it and it is really totally safe to boot... MUCH better than some of the alternatives. Second, get a top notch humidifer with a good water filter, etc. Those wee little nose passages dry out so easily, and it is highly likely that she is spitting some milk/acid up into her nose which is making her even more miserable. Dd and ds were snorty stuffed up little ones until they got on Zantac.
#28 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 04:11 PM

For the stuffy nose I wanted to suggest Eucalyptus oil in the hunidifier. Helps a lot and some Tea tree oil is great to clease the air. Sorry about all this Shannon.
#29 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 04:17 PM
tug

Finally posted our birth story:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...63#post2641263

terenia
#30 of 207 Old 02-07-2005, 05:10 PM

Shannon- Yes, wanted to add my 2cents about reflux. DS #1 had reflux and we used Tagamet (very similar to Zantac). Once we got the proper dosage down, it helped tremendously.

I also wanted to say...stop blaming yourself! You are doing everything you can for Molly. You have even managed to get her some breastmilk- which is wonderful! But who knows- maybe even if you were breastfeeding full-time she might still have reflux. My DS was exclusively breastfed and he still had it- so don't just assume that it is due to the formula. Just keep doing what you are doing and trying new things to make her comfortable!

Okay...done with lecture.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page