How are the older siblings adjusting? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-22-2005, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How's the transition for the older siblings going for everyone?

Our 2 1/2 year old is doing pretty well. Although we are having a lot more tantrums lately. Of course, to be expected.

So how's it going for everyone? Anyone have helpful tips to pass along to help with this big transition?
#2 of 9 Old 02-22-2005, 01:51 PM

My 15 and 11 year olds are obviously doing great - they are loving having another baby around, my 27 month old is having a difficult time though. Things are starting to get a little better though, the first week he was a complete mess.

Kitty

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#3 of 9 Old 02-22-2005, 02:26 PM

Melanie is doing great! It was really hard when Hazel was in the hospital, because Justin and I were always leaving to go visit her. Now that we're all home together, she seems to be doing well. She wants to 'help" all the time, which is cute, but we have to watch her like a hawk since her idea of helping can be difficult or dangerous. She sometimes is jealous if I tell her that she has to wait to nurse (I'm having trouble positioning both of them since Hazel has trouble staying on the nipple). I think it is helping that Hazel is such an easy, quiet baby. She pretty much sleeps all the time unless she's hungry or wet. I'm sure when she is big enough to get into Melanie's toys the problems will start, LOL.

Mel said the cutest thing to me the other day,
"You're a good mommy. You take good care of my baby sister." So sweet!
#4 of 9 Old 02-26-2005, 11:30 PM

My older four (13, 8, 6, and 4) are all doing great. My 27 month old had a rough few days but seems to have bounced back. Dh and I gave him LOTS of extra attention and I think that helped.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#5 of 9 Old 02-27-2005, 02:35 PM

My 22 month old seems to be doing well now. We do have alot more temper tantrums, and I have to watch her like a hawk around the baby. She wants to help alot, but sometimes she will just strike out and hit baby in the head I know she is jealous of all the attention. Yesterday she didn't want grandma holding the new baby. As for special tricks to help... I have been making special time when baby is sleeping just for DD. Sometimes it's frustrating b/c she will act out even durring her special time. I also started making a Let's play w/ baby time, so I can show her HOW to play w/ the baby. We hold up toys, and talk to her. DDs favorite thing is picking Laina's diaper. I let her pick the color about every time. I think she is doing extremely well. We didn't really regress much on t he potty learning front (she was PT at 18 months on her own). She did have a few accidents, but not many. The hardest part for me is having to divide myself between them. W/ DD I never put her down, I played w/ her all the time. This baby gets put downa lot more, and I don't have the one on one time w/ her that I"d really like to have. I also feel like DD#1 is getting slighted, too b/c I don't have the same amount of time to do craft projects, or just play w/ her. I"ve noticed my TV is on ALOT more. We used to only watch Sesame Street int he AM, andthen a movie at naptime (she usually won't take a nap, but I need a rest). Now I allow an extra program or two. Hopefully things will get easier, and we can get rid of the extra TV shows soon!
#6 of 9 Old 02-27-2005, 06:48 PM

Here's something I noticed today. My 8 year old dd is very jealous of the baby. She's always been the one that's jealous when a new baby comes into the family. The younger kids aren't jealous at all but she is really snotty. She's nice to the baby but snotty to everyone else. I guess it's just her personality. Too bad for her she's child number 2 out of 6 kids. She should have been an only child :LOL

My TV is on more right now too. I figure a: it's winter and b: I need the break right now. It's only a matter of time before things are back to normal. I"m trying not to be too hard on myself about it.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#7 of 9 Old 02-28-2005, 07:49 PM

My 18 month old is getting better every day. When we first got home with the baby he was insanely jealous and it just broke my heart. He wouldn't even come to me and give me a hug After a couple of days though he couldn't stay away and has been very cuddly ever since

My 11 year old is very much in love with her little sister and has been a huge help. My 8 year old SD is also loving having a little sister to snuggle with. So far so good.
#8 of 9 Old 02-28-2005, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad8
Here's something I noticed today. My 8 year old dd is very jealous of the baby. She's always been the one that's jealous when a new baby comes into the family. The younger kids aren't jealous at all but she is really snotty. She's nice to the baby but snotty to everyone else. I guess it's just her personality.
Good its not just me! My 8 year-old is having some issues too. She loves the baby and my sister has been here paying all sorts of attention to her, but the snotty looks and remarks make me crazy. I have been trying to give her more attention, like last night we played Scrabble. But I'm basically chair-bound beneath a constantly nursing baby, plus I have a massive cut in my gut . She drives me nuts sometimes!

Mom to three 14 y.o. rock star grrl, 5 y.o. knight in spazzy armour and baby Juniper, born still @39 weeks 4 days 2-3-10 .
#9 of 9 Old 03-04-2005, 02:17 PM

Our 11-year olds are doing great, they love having a new baby in the house. It's nice to have an extra four hands as well, for holding Joe while I pee or they can unload the dishwasher, etc. Plus they sometimes keep Alec occupied. Alec, on the other hand, is having a rough time. He's back in diapers and wants to nurse constantly. I can see that it's getting better as the days go by, but the first few weeks were so traumatic...for both of us. Joe is almost 6 weeks old now so we're all back into our regular groove and I know that in a few months Alec will have forgotten there was a time when he didn't have a little brother.

Hopefully.

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page