Week of Feb. 28 - March 7 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 116 Old 03-03-2005, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, what does this sound like... you BTDT moms?
My boobs ache. Not my nipples, my breasts themselves. THey're warm, not hot, so i don't think they're infected... and they're not rock hard like i've heard engorged is... but they ache. and when Dominic nurses, its worse. any thoughts?
#62 of 116 Old 03-03-2005, 11:22 PM

Congratulations Amber and Kate!!!

Heve- You're next!

Will write more later...busy!
#63 of 116 Old 03-03-2005, 11:34 PM

Hey everyone, we went out tonight to our local pub with Molly in tow, so she got paraded around and was of course the perfect angel in her polar fleece lined denim overalls and bright pink leather Robeez boots. Her hair is getting very red, mine was fairly red as a kid but not as much as hers is.
Heve.....are you having contractions and hanging out in that cool birthing pool as we all type about you??? (honest guys, I'd have filled this thing up just to play in it labor or not
#64 of 116 Old 03-03-2005, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

bad news: nope, I'm not in labour. :LOL

good news: baby scored 8/8 on the bpp (which only took 15 minutes, not 40, as I had been told), NST was fine. Although of course, baby slept through most of it... Only an hour or so before, there had been LOTS of movement. Of course, I go for the NST during his/her naptime! It was cool to see the hb go up after some movement, though, and dh said it went up when he massaged an acupressure point.

More good news: we have 4 extra days! I brought my FAM charts, and the doc on call teaches it, so he agreed that my edd should be more like Feb 24-26, so 25 to call it even. Which means that today I am at 41 weeks, not 41 weeks, 3 days, which means my hosp/OB transfer wouldn't be until after Wednesday, not this Monday. I will go in for more monitoring - an NST this weekend, and another bpp on Monday. So Shannon was right. At the beginning of the pregnancy, I was exactly 2 weeks behind her, then at some point, my edd was put at the 21st...

Also, of interest is that my cervix is still totally closed, and at 3 cm. Anyone know what the length range is? Strange - the baby seems fine and in no rush, I'm not waddling in pain, desperate to get baby out, my cervix seems in no rush...it does make sense that I have 4 extra days. But still - due to the pressure of losing my mw/hb, talk of complications with late babies...I'd like to go soon!

So an overwhelming day. It's amazing, the headspace shift, when you're on an u/s table, or in a hosp bed in OB triage...I felt like such a patient, like something was wrong. Such stress, losing time each day, feeling my home birth slipping away...

So tomorrow - more acupunture, and I'll start my homeopatics. I'd reeeeeally like to do this this weekend...I want Shannon's dream to be true! My doula, who is my yoga instructor, tells me all of her students (it's her studio - so not just prenatal yoga) have been sending baby and me OMs at the end of each class...
#65 of 116 Old 03-03-2005, 11:45 PM

Woo Hoo!!! I love being right!!!! Sounds like a good OB that he was game to give you the extra days and not just push the induction. So is he on call Wed by any chance??? (Just in case--of course, I was already right about the due date, so I'm sure to right about when you'll give birth too )
Well, lil Molly is sitting on my lap playing wiht my left hand--making it hard to type but now she's actually chewing on that hand--so even though I fed her less than an hour ago, I guess I should be feeding again now!
Joy, isn't it awesome to cuddle up to them--sometimes I can't even sleep cause I just lay there staring at her, I was AMAZED at how completely comfortable I felt with her snuggled up to me--and I dont' even breast feed!!
#66 of 116 Old 03-03-2005, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Sadly, no, he's not on call at all next week. My mw is going to let me know who's on call when next week. Not that it matters - he's the only one I've heard good things about.
#67 of 116 Old 03-03-2005, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

..and besides, I'm going into labour on Friday night, right, Shannon?
#68 of 116 Old 03-04-2005, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

nothing last night.

I know yesterday evening's info should make me feel better, but I'm feeling awfully blue about all this today. Maybe I need to get out of the house by myself (lately dh has been driving me, just in case...) to run errands, find the homeopathics, etc. It's such a weird feeling. Like it will never happen. And this feeling isn't coming from inside, that I need to get the baby out, but from the fact that my body and my baby are not conforming to outside parametres. How am I supposed to relax when there is that kind of pressure?
#69 of 116 Old 03-04-2005, 11:25 AM

: heve. your baby will come! i know it's hard when everyone is telling you something different. just stay focused within. sending you labor vibes!!

as for what to wear, i'm still wearing maternity pants, the elastic waist (not the panel ones) but regular tops. the only nursing tops i have are summer. so i'm just wearing one layer. i've lost all my pg weight but my regular pants still don't fit. not sure if it's the flabby belly or if my hips are still spread apart. i hope they fit soon. i don't want to buy more pants.
#70 of 116 Old 03-04-2005, 12:20 PM

I've been wearing stretchy pants (leggings, etc.) and nursing tops, but I'm starting to think the nursing tops are more trouble than they're worth. I do much better just lifting my shirt than dealing with those plackets and hidden openings!

Joy, your breasts sound fine. Overall warmth and achiness are signs of boosting milk production and is sometimes pronounced in a first time lactating mom. Pain and hot spots are plugged ducts though, so watch for painful areas, redness and swelling, and hard knobby lumps.

So... let's talk naps...

When your baby naps, where are they? My baby often naps in the sling, and sometimes I make him a little "nest" with a boppy and blankets next to me on the sofa. But I'm starting to think I should put him down sometimes (e.g., in a bassinet) so I can tend to the needs of my other kids and um, you know, shower and stuff. What do you guys do?

Oh one more thing!!!! I finally posted photos on our website. Check it out!!! Click on the "Image Gallery" link on the left-hand menu...

www.kcshore.com
#71 of 116 Old 03-04-2005, 12:28 PM

heve- You and I are in the same boat. I am having the exact same issues. Except of course I have already done the homeopathics, castor oil and herbs and gotten no result. I've started doing the Hypnobabies "Come Out Baby" script also, if only as a way to try to relax and ease up some of the anxiety. Our babies will come. We just have to remember that our bodies are not failing, they are simply growing our babies in the time they need. Many {{{{HUGS}}}} to you.
#72 of 116 Old 03-04-2005, 12:46 PM

Usually Samuel naps in the sling. I try to shower right when I get up and he's still sleeping in my bed. I can pretty much do everything else with him in the sling. Sometimes I put him in his bouncy seat so the older kids can interact with him. I feel guilty when he's not attached to me, though.

I weighed him this morning and he weighs 11 lbs 1 oz already! He's gained over a pound in less than two weeks! He's such a chunk!

Sorry about the "overdue" babies. I had two that were over due and it's so hard. Big hugs to you!

Does anyone else feel scattered like they've lost a piece of their mind somewhere? I feel like I can't finish a thought or a task. It's driving me a little crazy.

I'm still wearing my maternity pants that don't have panels and then regular shirts. Once my chest goes down a little I'll be able to fit into more of my nursing shirts. Can't wait for that to happen.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#73 of 116 Old 03-04-2005, 12:54 PM

Awww, Heve, can I help, do you want to take a road trip and come down here? I mean if something happens we can drive you back-we both drive standard and Steve is here--so we can even get your car back--we can go into Milton and check out my consignment store, whatever you want, that way you can go for a drive but still be in safe distance. Let me know, I'm here K!

I was wearing my regular jeans, but since this abdominal pain thing started I've both swelled in the belly and any pressure on my tummy doubles me up, so I'm back in either sweats or my maternity jeans. Not nursing so I'm of course just wearing regular old tops.

Peri, I've just started this week to put Molly down for a couple of her naps each day, she does sleep longer and better although I miss having her in my arms, but it allows me more awake time with her each day and that's getting really fun. As for where, she seems to sleep best if I actually put her in her swing on the low setting and she doesn't spit up and start coughing that way, but occaisionally I lay her in her moses basket. We also have a really cool baby papasan chair and it's very soft and supportive and keeps her elevated perfectly and does vibrate (it's the cadillac of bouncy chairs ) so she sometimes goes in that to sleep--only problem is that it leaves her too low and her dogs "check" on every time she makes any noise and that usually wakes her up.
#74 of 116 Old 03-04-2005, 01:04 PM

Ya know, I wish I could do things with her in her trekker or sling, but I think most of it is I'm just too short and my arms aren't all that long--so until she's big enough to be on my back, she's in the way--ya know, anyone have some suggestions to make it easier?? It's not a big deal, I can actually do plenty with her just in my arms--its almost like it's the sling that gets in the way.
#75 of 116 Old 03-04-2005, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
just checkin in... no time to read... was checking to see if heve had a baby! i promise you it will come... i wish you the very best!!!

baby is doing good... we are getting a second opinion on her arm to make sure it was taken care of properly... i will give details when i have 2 hands to type with... i feel great!! no kidding, will post birth story soon here is a link to some pictures
http://photobucket.com/albums/v331/AmBam/

password mycrew

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
#76 of 116 Old 03-04-2005, 02:07 PM

Shannon - I just put myself on the waiting list for a Kozy carrier b/c you can put them on your back younger than the Trekker, Ergo, Sutemi, etc. It is hard with them in the front to get much done, I agree. I can usually read to the kids and fold laundry but nothing "real" gets done.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#77 of 116 Old 03-04-2005, 02:48 PM
tug

amber - she looks sooo cute. i hope everything goes ok with the second opinion on her arm - poor little thing.

peri - i love the pictures of william with his big brother and sister - he is an adorable little peanut and they look so sweet with him.

heve - i'm sorry that you are getting so much pressure from the outside. you are right that your body knows what to do. as my father always says, don't let the bastards get you down. glad you got some extra days!! also, i'm sure you've probably heard of the pressure point or whatever about three finger widths above the inside of your ankle or thereabouts, right? if you put sustained pressure on it, it is supposed to bring on labor. our bradley method teacher who was a doula as well really believed in this method. so much so, that when she described it to us in class she would not demonstrate on any of us because she did not want to bring on labor. i think that i was fooling around shortly before (like the day of) i went into labor...

shannon - i have kind of the same issues with slinging the baby. i used the bjorn for working about the house. it holds her closer and higher.

i only have one more week of full maternity leave, then i'm working two days and working/watching baby three days a week. for some reason, this is really depressing me. i don't want to go back to work.

anyway, hugs to all and labor vibes to woolfairy and heve.

terenia
#78 of 116 Old 03-04-2005, 03:38 PM

Flannery doesn't like the sling I've got - a padded NoJo - so I'm going to try to make an unpadded one. A friend is also looking for her Baby Bjorn to loan to me.

After falling asleep while feeding, I sometimes put her in the car seat or bouncy seat to get some things (laundry, dishes, feeding myself) done. She doesn't seem to sleep as long or well in her bassinet. If she is still sleeping in the morning when I get up, I leave her in the bassinet until she wakes up.

I hope I can find a carrier she likes, or she grows into the sling - I'd like to be able to carry her around while she is awake and asleep, but it's not working just yet.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#79 of 116 Old 03-04-2005, 04:54 PM

Good afternoon ladies

Heve: Keeping you in my thoughts this weekend.

We've been using the sling that Tricia made us and since it's unpadded it's very lightweight and I can snuggle Autumn up tight against my chest in an upright position and it leaves me with 2 free hands to do things. When I'm sitting I lay her on the boppy around my waist and that way my hands are free to type or nurse or whatever. I do leave her in my bed first thing in the morning when I want to shower or pee in peace

As for cosleeping, I absolutely can not sleep well unless she is tucked into the crook of my arm with her body up against mine. She sleeps the very best in that position and my husband doesn't have to worry about rolling over on her. I find she doesn't wake up very often when she is like that because she can hear me breathing and she can hear my heartbeat. God I'm in love!

I have so many little dresses for her but I don't have anywhere to take her to dress her up. Most of the clothes I got are for the spring and it's not warm enough to take her out in short sleeves and little diaper cover bottoms yet you know? So for now she is in footy PJs all day/night long to keep her nice and warm. Anyone else in the same boat as far as clothes go?
#80 of 116 Old 03-04-2005, 05:42 PM

tug : i was talking to my boss today and he wanted me to come back a fullweek early. i told him the daycare was closed half that week so he relented but i do have to attend the saturday meeting. ugh! i don't want to think about that yet.

let's see, missy moo loves the sling. she loves it so much i can hardly ever put her down. within ten to fifteen minute she's up screaming and boy can she scream! she's got one loud voice, unlike her mama.

we're cosleeping but i tend to find her smooshed up against me on her tummy so that's freaking me out. so i'm always waking up and repositioning her. that said, i'd say she wakes up 2-3x a night to eat. usually around 1 and 4. but she's such a spitter so i usually sit upright with her on my chest for a while. she eats so much and then spits half of it back up. i'm not sure if her spincter muscle is weak yet or she's eating too much.

she gave us quite a scare the other day, well me. she was asleep when i got home so i left her in the bucket seat strapped in. a bit later i realized i hadn't heard from her so i called her and she didn't move. this child jumps at everything. her startle reflex works quite well LOL! i picked up her arm and she stilldidn't move. then i shook her which caused her to wake up and scream but i was terrified. i like the deep sleep but give mama a break :LOL

okay, now i am
#81 of 116 Old 03-04-2005, 07:20 PM

Zander is 3 weeks old today!!! He is doing fine, he spits up a lot though. He just doesn't know when to stop eating. If I try to stop him and burp him or something he just cries and screams. He lifts up his head and is working on rolling over...which is scary.
#82 of 116 Old 03-04-2005, 09:46 PM

Hang in there, Heve and Elle. Gosh, I wish there was some magical way to get you to go into labor. It sounds like you're doing well with trying to stay positive...nobody can blame you for feeling a little blue about the pressure, though. Have you tried the spicy dinner trick?

Does anyone's baby have the typical "fussy time" in the early evening/evening? Gavin sure does! He is usually so content during the day....but around 5-6pm it starts and seems to last until about 9-10pm at night.

It worries me a bit because I am a Lamaze Instructor and I teach classes 2 nights per week. Well, I start back at the beginning of April....which means I will be leaving DH with the two kiddos at the peak of the fussy time! Any thoughts on how to make this easier for everyone? Right now all he wants is MAMA during the evening!
#83 of 116 Old 03-04-2005, 09:55 PM

Lisa, I've found if I keep her awake longer in the afternoon (that sounds so much easier than it actually is) she doesn;t get so fussy at night
#84 of 116 Old 03-05-2005, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Shannon sent me the Come Out Baby script last night, and dh read it to me. Quite intense, and made me feel better, but alas...still not in labour. We're going to keep at it, though.

Keep those vibes coming, please! Thanks!!! :
#85 of 116 Old 03-05-2005, 09:49 AM

Heve, Can you make it until Wednesday? It's my birthday!
#86 of 116 Old 03-05-2005, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Lesley - sorry, but I won't plan for it, no! The plan is this, though: If I don't succeed in going into labour at home before then, I go for a prostagladin strip (Cervadil) on Tuesday afternoon, to return to the hosp on Wednesday. But I WILL have my baby by then (at home!), so I refuse to mention one more word of next week's induction talk, k?!!! OMMMMMM....
#87 of 116 Old 03-05-2005, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi everyone! It would be impossible to catch up on everyone so I hope all is well with you all. Heve ~ I am sending good labor vibes your way... I hope that everything turns out the way you want. I am sooo sorry you have to deal with the home/hospital thing. Good luck to you and I can't wait to hear about your new baby!!

We finally named the baby. Her name is Miah Elena. Lena is dh's grandmothers name so we added the E. I think she looks just like a Miah though. We took her to an orthopedic doctor yesterday and he too seems to think her arm will heal just fine. We go back on the 15th to have yet another xray to see how it is. Both doctors seem to think it should only take 2 -3 weeks to heal. So all is well. I am doing well... trying to sort through some feelings from her birth... it was pretty tramatic. Having some issues with some things that were done. I will write a birth story soon though.

So one more cool thing.... I got on the scale the morning after she was born and I had lost 30 lbs!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it. Just thought that was pretty cool! Pretty quick wieght loss program huh??

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
#88 of 116 Old 03-05-2005, 12:30 PM

This morning I'm scheduled to take the full complement of "natural labor induction" stuff. Castor oil (2 doses!) plus homeopathics to follow. I'm terrified of the castor oil. I took it last weekend and got nothing (but some short term diarrhea) but it was like drinking vaseline. I don't know if I can physically get it down again.

The homeopathics were unsuccessful on their own or with serious nipple stimulation but they are supposed to help out once I'm miserable from castor oil.

I may cry.
#89 of 116 Old 03-05-2005, 12:33 PM

Hang in there Elle/......
#90 of 116 Old 03-05-2005, 01:06 PM

Heve and Elle....sending my strongest labor vibes your way. And here is a too.

Amber: Glad to hear Miah's arm is healing up nicely. Beautiful name!!

Lisa: Autumn's fussy time is around her brother's bedtime (go figure!) and she usually starts fussing around 7pm. Thankfully nursing and cuddling usually stops the fussiness pretty quickly, but you can count on some whining each night at that time.

Have you ladies shown off your babies outside the home yet? I'm being pressured by my coworkers to bring her into work. She's only 2 weeks old and FINALLY over her nasal cold and I'm a little leary about bringing her out in public during flu season. My DH says she'll be fine, but I hate to expose her to germs when she just got over her sniffles. Am I being overly paranoid? Should I take her to work today briefly?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page