Feeling overwhelmed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-21-2005, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone else feeling totally overwhelmed? Joe is my fourth child but he might as well be my twelfth, as overwhelmed as I feel. It feels like everything is falling on top of me, like I'm drowning in my life! I can't ever get caught up on anything, the kids are driving me crazy, and I just want to pee without an audience!

I don't have PPD; I've had that before and know what it feels like. I'm not crying or sad, just feel stressed and unable to keep up with LIFE. It's like I keep trying to do everything but at the end of the day, after I've spent all day taking care of what I'm supposed to take care of, nothing has actually been accomplished. The laundry pile is still higher than me because even though I did four loads the baby had to have his clothes changed five times so there are clothes and blankets and spitup rags added; Alec played in the mud and had potty accidents, so there are several changes of his clothes added; I had to change my shirt a couple times due to baby spitup, people took showers so there are towels; the older kids provide a full load each day together, etc. I run the dishwasher at least twice a day but there are still dishes on the counter at the end of the day, along with the pots and pans from dinner; the house is never tidy because as soon as I pick up toys Alec pulls them out again; the girls leave books and papers all over, etc.

I could go on and on, but you guys know what I mean.

It's all just TOO MUCH! All that plus chauffering everyone around to their activities, homeschooling, nursing an infant and a 3-year old, library books overdue, bills haven't been paid, I need a shower....OMG, I just want to go back to bed. But by myself, with nobody touching me or wanting nummies!

Please tell me I'm not alone in feeling like this!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#2 of 7 Old 03-21-2005, 03:08 PM

you are most definitely alone. surprisingly, laundry is the one thing i'm aught up on. of course none of it is put away, but it's clean.

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

#3 of 7 Old 03-21-2005, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

LOL, I hope you meant I'm NOT alone, shyly. :LOL It just all seems so MUCH, you know? How did those women do it a hundred years ago when they didn't have all the modern conveniences we do? Oh, yeah, I guess they didn't have the internet calling with its siren song all day. But they had more kids!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#4 of 7 Old 03-21-2005, 04:31 PM

Deb. We have 4 children in our home too and I know EXACTLY what you mean. The housework will never ever be done and I'm trying to resign myself to that fact. I love things neat and organized and it does drive me bananas to not be able to keep on top of it. We should start our own club If you want to vent anytime, just PM me.
#5 of 7 Old 03-21-2005, 07:05 PM

Yes, this is me 90% of the time!!! Make your girls do more! They are 11 or 12, that's old enough to take turns doing the dishes, or putting laundry away. When I was 12 I cooked dinner just as much as my mom did, and she stayed at home w/ us, too. I think the most part of it is trying to pick up after a toddler. It's impossible! My house is messy all of the time. Hope it settles down for you soon, mama! Try to rest up a bit.
#6 of 7 Old 04-01-2005, 11:16 PM

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. My twins are 5, my son is 2.5, baby is 2 months. It is crazy here. My toddler is acting out from being ignored and I am having a hard time controlling my temper. My heart is breaking for him because I know all his needs are not being met, but I want to run into traffic when he is attempting to clock one of the twins with his shovel while I am nursing the baby. Today he soaked me with the hose when I asked him for it.
The best part is that we put our house up for sale so now it needs to be spotless all the time. That is just not going to happen.
One thing I had to let go of when I was on bedrest was the laundry. I easily do 4 to 5 loads every day. I wouldn't let my husband touch it because I didn't think he would do it right (my way). I taught him and he did a great job. It was rather infuriating. I agree that your oldest could definately help out with the laundry.
I am trying some breathing exercises and visualization techniques. Hopefully I won't stress out so much. HTH.

wave.gif
#7 of 7 Old 04-01-2005, 11:26 PM

Big hugs to you, Mama. I don't know what to say other than you are not alone. I only have my dd so maybe I shouldn't even be replying here. I know how it feels to be overwhelmed though. i agree with making the older ones do more to help you out. Is it possible for you to hire someone once a week to help you with the house? Just an idea. As for your question on how women did it years ago with ten kids: I think back then we had a sense of community where everybody helped each other. We are disconnected from all of that now. It is easy to feel alone. Know that you are not. Hang in there!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page