Dingos sprint through the snow to the holidays! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1253 Old 12-02-2008, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Geo. Childcare problems always make me anxious. Hope that a space in aftercare opens up soon! And that the rest of your various zillion overwhelming tasks fall into place.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#62 of 1253 Old 12-02-2008, 11:04 PM

alrighty. i have just committed to a 36 week plan (well, 3 x 12 week plans) from a woman who is a grad student in nutrition and endurance sports training and regularly races and wins 100 mile races. i'm honestly pretty excited about it, though not looking forward to negotiating all this exercise time with dh.
#63 of 1253 Old 12-02-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
The repair man just left after looking at our failing oven. It's going to cost over $500 to fix it. I though for that much we might as well just buy a new one, right? Oh no, a new one is freaking $2,000. All because it's in our island and has to be self-ventilating. : I actually feel sick to my stomach over this.
Oh good on the next quote but just in case you need a 'new' one we've had awesome luck at Re-Store and similar spots for appliances.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#64 of 1253 Old 12-02-2008, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Ash ~ I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow. I'm far too lazy to do it tonight.

HBM ~ I'm glad the 2nd quote was more reasonable.

Geo ~ Good God - I am sorry about the sitter.

Okay.. I must brag. Back when we had the discussion about finding our first loves/boyfriends on MySpace I did find mine. He's active duty Army and just recently got married, and we had been friends for quite awhile after we dated but then he moved and we lost touch. He randomly messages me on MySpace today saying that I'm looking good especially for being pregnant. I've still got it.. even with a bun in the oven.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#65 of 1253 Old 12-02-2008, 11:55 PM

Hey everyone! I tried leaving my computer turned off all weekend and am just now getting back into my routine. Poor DD is having a hard time with her extra-curricular music class including a giant tantrum when I sat her out for wrestling over some music sticks last week so I am up emailing with the teachers to try to find a class that isn't so late in the day, which I am guessing is 80% of the problem, and the other 20% which is her work will be easier to do if she is not hungry, tired, and getting egged on by other children. Ugh. Anyway, that's why I am online so late tonight.

Question: has anyone ever had pain on the top of your foot? It is not swollen and does not hurt to press on it. I think it is a bit of overworked muscle from bad shoes, but today I was trying to do a pirouette turn on that foot (don't ask) and I don't have as much strength in it as I do the other. I'm wondering if it will heal on its own or if I should go to a doc.

I haven't run in a week. : It is on the hotlist for tomorrow morning, I need the pick-me-up. This has been a hard holiday and Christmas/my mom's birthday is looming on the horizon, I need my running fix to help me cope.
#66 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 12:27 AM

RM - aw, so great that you're feeling 'you' again! :

geo - that must be so stressful.

jo -exercise party - I love it!

mandy - sounds like a great plan - I can't wait to hear more about it.

jenlove - sexy mama!

rr: 4.5 easy miles today. I just realized that my new tights for the half have no pockets. Tried out my new Amphipod clip-on pouch today. Has anyone ever used one? It seems like it would be a total chafe-o-rama, but I couldn't really tell after only 4 miles. My skin was just a bit red where it rubbed. I didn't get to try it w/ my tights though, hopefully those are so tight that they'll not allow it to move.
#67 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 12:39 AM

tjsmama: Thanks... but the code isn't working. Was it an after Thanksgiving sale thing?
#68 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 12:57 AM

Aw, bummer! I'm not sure what it was...someone on another site posted it. I think it might have been on dealnews, so if that's the case, they probably shut it down. My order shipped yesterday and should have been here tomorrow, but when I went to check the tracking number, apparently UPS misrouted it and it's not going to get here until Friday now. :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#69 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 08:27 AM

Wow! My internet goes out for three days and you've generated 4 pages of new thread for me to read! Let's see what I can remember...

Congrats to the 2009 marathoners who have bitten the bullet and signed up. I'll be putting my name on that list too, but not until next fall.

JenLove ~ you've still got it, Mama!!!!!

SandS ~ right now I'm averaging about 18-22 mpw. I run less during triathlon season, but more intensely (ie, shorter long runs, more speedwork).

grnmtnmama ~ you are going to rock that singlespeed race next year! How cool .

tjsmama ~ good luck with your Du this weekend. I bet you'll get those 4 miles done in less than an hour.

Geo ~ hope the childare situation sorts out. That sitter is f-i-r-e-d!

mommajb ~ I saw on the last thread that you'd be up for a dingo meetup. How about the Indiana Dingos try and plan something? You, me, RM..... We could run in Brown County where they do the Trail Marathon....

Has anyone heard from Kate~mom? Didn't she run the JFK50 a couple of weeks ago?

Welcome new Dingos!!!!!

Not much new here. I've got a cold, so my running has been minimal. I'm deep in the throes of planning this party on the 12th. I need to eat more, because my weight is getting a little too low for my taste. But good stuff, not crap calories. I need to find that maintenance range balance. Today, it's off to the consignment shop to unload a car full of crib and changing table ~ yes, that chapter is closing and . Bittersweet.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#70 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 09:20 AM

B1-Yes! I do get a pain in the top of my foot. It's right where that bony "ball" part is on top and the tissues around it. I can't do a foot circle w/o pain. It was really bad last week after the half, but I've rested it and it feels OK now. Have you tried icing it?

Cornflake girl-Do you have plenty of bodyglide or something similar? I have a terrible fear of chaffing.

Jaygee-Keep yourself healthy! I totally understand that bittersweet getting rid of final baby stuff.

Poppy-I have NO patience for people that insist on being that rude. It seriously makes me so mad. :

I'm heading to zumba this morning, then we have our first concert of the season tonight. I have a solo, which came from a practical joke and I'm hoping I can get through it without laughing.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#71 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 10:52 AM

Im a grump. No forward motion yesterday, and I dont know about today. I guess I could try running outside with dd2 in the stroller..... anyway, the gym w/ childcare is a million miles away and I have to fit it in btwn dd2 waking from her morning nap and picking the kids up from school and, hence, I blow it off more often than not, and hate myself. Really productive :eyeroll

I wont be doing anything this weekend because we are driving up to MA to visit a close, old friend (she's not old - lol - um, longstanding...). Anyway, she's married to my other significant boyfriend. That is, the boyfriend I had before I met dh, whom I might have married had things gone a little different. We had, for me anyway, who is a pretty level headed, reasonable person, a pretty tumultuous (but in a kind of hot way ... at least you think so in your twenties...) relationship. He's very smart, funny, really interesting, but not incredibly emotionally mature ... or wasnt. Jealous, made me feel insecure.... We lived together for four years, then I moved, and he started spending more time with one of my best girlfriends.... fast forward 13 years, they have been together since, have two kids (one they just adopted and I havent met yet), and live in MA. We've hung out with them twice in the last few years, should be fun.

Hey, I have a funny question: what does it mean to subscribe to a thread? I just leave this minimized on my desktop and reload...

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#72 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 11:00 AM

~geofizz- that really, really sucks. Did the sitter ever call you to say "Sorry I suck?"- or any type of call?

~corkflakegirl- the tights might help with the chafing, if not bodyglide is your friend.

My day so far has been interesting- I woke up at 4:45 am without the alarm and was out of the house by 5. I got creeped out to find 3 of the street lights on my route are not working. Made for a creepy morning. I am going to go out this afternoon and write down the lamp numbers and call the city to change them.

I'm also still without a house phone, someone came out on Saturday to "fix" the issue. He said it would be fixed by Monday. Nope. : The first I am going to do when we do get our phone line back is call the phone company so we can be reimbursed for the days we were without service.
#73 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Ash ~ Ring sling picture 1 and picture 2

I got up around 5:30 this morning without an alarm - had my tea and toast then had the urge to clean the kitchen. So all the dishes are washed, and dried, and put away! I lit candles and turned on Christmas music, which made for a peaceful time working.

I think now I am going to bundle up, put on my boots, and take my dog out for a walk in the snow. It's still snowing, but it's so beautiful I think I have to go out and play.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#74 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 11:14 AM

Serial posting;

GMM - Im curious about your training. What is it for (a race series? Just general?...). Id love it if you shared what you learn

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#75 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 11:32 AM

Sparkle... go to the top of the page and click on "thread tools", then "subscribe to this thread." From there, you can just open up your user control panel and hit the little arrow button by the name of the thread -- that takes you automatically to the first unread post in the series (assuming that you read through ALL the posts before closing down the page the last time you logged on). I like that feature, so I subscribe.

By the way -- did you ever get that dizziness/vomiting thing figured out? We had a lecture on Vestibular Rehab yesterday and I was thinking about you...

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#76 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 11:35 AM

Oh Jen, that is a gorgeous sling!!!! I do miss the baby carrier days.... : or at least the hyena part of them.

So....my RP is officially IN for the same marathon! She has been waffling for a lot of (good) reasons but today she told me that all was well with her dh and that she was going to do it!!!!! I am so excited. We did five chilly miles this morning.

Oh and y'all, I went to the visitation/viewing for that little girl last night. We stood in line for three hours because there were nearly 1000 people there, which was awesome for the family but I know they were totally exhausted by the time we got there. Hard stuff, but they had set up tons of pictures and her artwork....VERY sad but also very cool to see. Funeral is today at a ginormous church. Can't say I'm looking forward to it but I know it'll be a good thing for all.

I missed a ton yesterday bc my f'ing computer won't seem to work with the server at work for more than a few minutes at a time. Anyway, take care mamas, stay warm and run happy.
#77 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 11:40 AM

grtmtnmama:

Awesome! After Boston I am totally going for mountain biking. I only get to go once or twice a week now. I was thinking of doing a 100 miler, but I think I will start with the Vermont 50. What race are you doing? Who did you hire. My friend Sinead is an awesome biker like that!

Oh.... forgot to add... DH and I are going to do a 24 hour mountain bike race together in New Hampshire at Pike's Peak.
#78 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 11:41 AM

: Finally subbing! Resurfacing after a week at my family's in Fla... Hope everyone had a good Turkey Day and welcome to December!

It was a good visit, but very emotional in saying goodbye to my grandmother and realizing this will be likely the last time I see her.... but also healing...

So exciting to see the marathons lining up for next year - I had hoped to jump in on one but w/ my hip flaring up again I don't know if that is possible, but I will live vicariously thru yall!

My biggest goal right now is to up my yoga and PT exercises and core work!

Lots of personals in my mind, but the one that stuck the most was Penelope - so sorry about the cholesterol! I used to have high (despite healthy eating and exercise) and mine turned out to be linked to my thyroid problems. My mom has high and she is also very healthy otherwise, and her doctor put her on fish oil, niacin, and red rice yeast, and after a few months her cholesterol was perfect... GL!!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#79 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Sparkle... go to the top of the page and click on "thread tools", then "subscribe to this thread." From there, you can just open up your user control panel and hit the little arrow button by the name of the thread -- that takes you automatically to the first unread post in the series (assuming that you read through ALL the posts before closing down the page the last time you logged on). I like that feature, so I subscribe.

By the way -- did you ever get that dizziness/vomiting thing figured out? We had a lecture on Vestibular Rehab yesterday and I was thinking about you...
Thanks

No, I never did, it just went away. But Im scared to go swimming again Even the thought of the motion..... blech. The last time that happened (nausea from association) I went to a party in high school wearing vanilla perfume. I got soooooooo hung-over that the smell of vanilla can do it to me

#80 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 11:43 AM

OK, I think I am going to buy the tights anyway... I might check the local running store first though since the price on sneakers seems to be the same.

I am doing this clinic as my Christmas present!

http://www.oarevents.com/events/2008...on_clinic.html

I am hoping to do a few adventure race this year!
#81 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 11:56 AM

Serial posting since I am home for the moment, but....

Hi Callie! welcome back.

Geo, I hope cc straightens out soon. That is so hard. But your solution sounds like you're making the best of it! woo shopping!

sugarandsun, that sounds like a lot of fun!

oh and BTW I was blogging this morning and I think I am going to devote my blog mostly to training for the marathon (and other stuff) since I want to track it this time, and I really enjoyed reading towsonmama's blog while she was training.
#82 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just got back from a meeting with the city traffic safety committee. Wendy 1, City Hall 0. I won a "traffic safety study" of the intersection where Karen and I were nearly hit 6 weeks ago on our way to school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Vasal-Vagel (sp!) somethingorother? I suffer from a tendency to pass out if I stand up while in pain. Makes childbirth interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
Geo, I hope cc straightens out soon. That is so hard. But your solution sounds like you're making the best of it! woo shopping!
Ahhh, yes, but you enjoy shopping. Me, not so much. At least I can do it during the week now.

I got 3 hours of work in before walking DD to school.
#83 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 01:12 PM

Ok I couldn't help but look at my clock on my computer as I was reading just now and think, "Geez, Wendy's more than 1/2 done with her work day." It'll come around. Something's gotta happen with childcare in your area. I mean seriously you have more issues than I've heard of. I think it has something to do with no licensing of in-home child cares (so you don't hear of good ones) and maybe because you live in *such* a ritz area (so ritzy in fact that that's the city I lived in when I was in graduate school ).

I'm supposed to be grading, but I'm focusing on the fact that ALL of my jeans are tight. Which leads me to think I need to bring my yoga mat to work and do situps here (with the door closed) during the times when I want to be surfing the web. Maybe i'll do that....

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#84 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 01:37 PM

Awesome zumba class this morning! We had a new song and guess what it was??? "Come on Eileen"! I was so happy and smiled like a dork the entire time. :

I'm going to try and get a run in tomorrow morning before my surgery. I'm afraid I'm going to have to keep it dry even longer this time and that sucks.

#85 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
Awesome zumba class this morning! We had a new song and guess what it was??? "Come on Eileen"! I was so happy and smiled like a dork the entire time. .
reminds me of a joke from the 80's...........

"what's worse that Grease on Olivia Newton-John?" .................... :

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#86 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 02:06 PM

Come on Eileen has been my favorite running song since I started!
Have you heard from Mommabelle? I'm not sure what (if any) the plans are for today?

#87 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 02:07 PM

thanks for all the support on my biking quest. i really just want to be strong and have fun and go to CO for this non-race type of race. Here's a great article on the 08 race and is what really inspired me to get my act together so that I can go this year. dh was planning to go solo, but when i read the article i knew that it was right up my sleeve and I wanted to be worthy of doing it.

have my bike at work today for a snowy mtn bike ride this afternoon. my training program starts on friday with either a hike or a cross bike ride - i'm thinking a little like mamabeth, my blog might become my training diary.

SandS - i'm waffling on the VT50. I think i should do it just cause, but not sure I really want to. it's such a classic though and almost everyone i know has done it but me.
#88 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 02:58 PM

Wow! I'm home in the middle of the day!:

HBM..I just assumed you too were busy today, so I carpooled with dh to the meeting. I sent dingo vibes to all Atlanta dingos as I drove by!:
Also, dh had two places cut out of his back last year. It did take a while to heal (he's a bad healer with keloid scars) but mostly it looked worse than it actually was. There was the period of days where it itched and was very irritating.

MB..we probably passed you today..I went right past your kids school!

I really liked this homeschool program this morning. We will likely be going to a different location though. There is one very near us (we will probably go there next school year), but it's just getting started, and then there's one closer in that will be easier to get to than going East. If you live around Atlanta then you know going East-West is always a pain.

I got that hemmroid stuff. Actually, dh works right next to a great natural store, so asked him to get it! The lady working there asked if she could help him find something. She was helping a group of people and he said he'd wait till she was finished helping them! She explained that that might take awhile, so he laughed and told her what he was looking for!

It is cold today. I have a wool sweater that I never wear, because it's really never that cold. However, today I have it on over a long sleeve shirt and I feel just right!

I'm going to hop on the mill and do 3 before I go pick up the kids.
#89 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
Okay.. I must brag. Back when we had the discussion about finding our first loves/boyfriends on MySpace I did find mine. He's active duty Army and just recently got married, and we had been friends for quite awhile after we dated but then he moved and we lost touch. He randomly messages me on MySpace today saying that I'm looking good especially for being pregnant. I've still got it.. even with a bun in the oven.
whoo hoo JenLove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1 View Post
Hey everyone! I tried leaving my computer turned off all weekend and am just now getting back into my routine. Poor DD is having a hard time with her extra-curricular music class including a giant tantrum when I sat her out for wrestling over some music sticks last week so I am up emailing with the teachers to try to find a class that isn't so late in the day, which I am guessing is 80% of the problem, and the other 20% which is her work will be easier to do if she is not hungry, tired, and getting egged on by other children. Ugh. Anyway, that's why I am online so late tonight.

Question: has anyone ever had pain on the top of your foot? It is not swollen and does not hurt to press on it. I think it is a bit of overworked muscle from bad shoes, but today I was trying to do a pirouette turn on that foot (don't ask) and I don't have as much strength in it as I do the other. I'm wondering if it will heal on its own or if I should go to a doc.

I haven't run in a week. : It is on the hotlist for tomorrow morning, I need the pick-me-up. This has been a hard holiday and Christmas/my mom's birthday is looming on the horizon, I need my running fix to help me cope.
Hope you get that run in, it sure can be healing/cleansing. to you mama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Wow! My internet goes out for three days and you've generated 4 pages of new thread for me to read! Let's see what I can remember...

Congrats to the 2009 marathoners who have bitten the bullet and signed up. I'll be putting my name on that list too, but not until next fall.

JenLove ~ you've still got it, Mama!!!!!

SandS ~ right now I'm averaging about 18-22 mpw. I run less during triathlon season, but more intensely (ie, shorter long runs, more speedwork).

grnmtnmama ~ you are going to rock that singlespeed race next year! How cool .

tjsmama ~ good luck with your Du this weekend. I bet you'll get those 4 miles done in less than an hour.

Geo ~ hope the childare situation sorts out. That sitter is f-i-r-e-d!

mommajb ~ I saw on the last thread that you'd be up for a dingo meetup. How about the Indiana Dingos try and plan something? You, me, RM..... We could run in Brown County where they do the Trail Marathon....

Has anyone heard from Kate~mom? Didn't she run the JFK50 a couple of weeks ago?

Welcome new Dingos!!!!!

Not much new here. I've got a cold, so my running has been minimal. I'm deep in the throes of planning this party on the 12th. I need to eat more, because my weight is getting a little too low for my taste. But good stuff, not crap calories. I need to find that maintenance range balance. Today, it's off to the consignment shop to unload a car full of crib and changing table ~ yes, that chapter is closing and . Bittersweet.
I'm up for dingo meetup!!! I'm not sure how good I'll be trail running.

RR: another 6 miles this morning, then off to the store for school party stuff, teacher gifts, cookie party saturday, dinner items, birthday present. Now trying to put it all together.

I keep getting interrupted, so I'll be back later.

Lisa
#90 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 03:17 PM

Confession time: I am a horrible housekeeper : and in this area DH is no help, as he's more like a 3rd child. Usually, when we have visitors I close up the messy rooms and instruct the kids to not take anyone in there, but MIL is going to be staying here w/ the girls this w/e while we're in Vegas. She is very neat and tidy and I would be totally mortified for her to see what it normally looks like. I've been running around like crazy trying to get everything in order. ugh. I hate cleaning like nothing else. I can't be the only one here, right?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page