Dingos sprint through the snow to the holidays! - Page 42 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1231 of 1253 Old 12-31-2008, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mandy I just went to look at your trainer set up and realized I have a bar of your soap! I also gave one to my friend with all my newborn woolen goodies. I wish I could remember how I came into them in order to tell you. Your basement has more light than my family room.

Sparkle, you have very sound words on age, running and grace but I don't want to hear them. The year of running that I am 6 months into should be just like the year of running that followed the birth of ds1, never mind the 11 year age difference.

Penelope, enjoy your new year's race. :

Lisa, what an upbeat post. : I am back to push ups and I am doing regulation style. I struggle to do a set of two but I am doing them.

JayGee, don't forget recovery days are important too - especially as we age so says Sparkletruck.

Feel better soon Gaye.

Jo, I haven't tried any of the diet tracking. I signed up for two different sites but it was too much to figure out how to enter my food. I am sure you will meet that calorie deficit. I can't even keep track of all you do - mother, run, farm, work, wife, write....

modmom - enjoy the garmin, everyone that has one sure seems to sing their praises.

New smilies -

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#1232 of 1253 Old 12-31-2008, 06:52 PM

: is this week over yet?

anyway....

i ran in my new shoes this morning and i could definitely tell a difference with cushioning [as with any new shoes] but i am a little bummed that my heels seem to slip. the lining is fairly slippery but i'm not giving them up for that reason. i did learn a new way to tie them to help keep my heels down, so we'll see if that helps.

i wish everyone health and happiness in 2009!

my goal is to stay healthy and start/finish the SF marathon on july 26, 2009.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#1233 of 1253 Old 12-31-2008, 07:05 PM

It's over for me, poppy!

I'm actually just leaving work...

p.s.: jb, just imagine how much I must EAT to gain weight...

Happy, healthy, safe 2009, everyone!
#1234 of 1253 Old 12-31-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb
JayGee, don't forget recovery days are important too - especially as we age so says Sparkletruck.
Aging? Me? NEVER!!!! (says the 40 yo with knee issues . I ended up running 4.4 very chilly, but thoroughly enjoyable miles . I'll take Friday off, I promise...

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#1235 of 1253 Old 12-31-2008, 08:14 PM

This whole, "You have more injuries because you are getting old" thing is a steroetype. Please help stamp out this misinformation. We need a sign for that. Something like "aging athlete activism".
I think the bigger problem is that years of bad form eventually show up as injuries, acute or chronic, and rather than the health care providers bothering to educate themselves on these things, they just say it's because we're getting older.

My immediate family understands why I've started doing tri's at my age, but about gave my 16 y/o niece whiplash when she found out. Most of DH's family thinks I'm nuts and the only sibling who understands is my DB in Denver who still loves his cycling races.

Analogy: doctorjen can probably tell stories about geriatric patients who are on multiple doses of medications, some to fix the disease and other to fix the side effects. When they, or family, mention how awful they feel, it is written off as aging when the real problem is they are on too many drugs from too many HCPs. Get them off some of those drugs and they feel much better while still treating the original problem.

My motto:
"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse.
Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable."
--Nigerian saying

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#1236 of 1253 Old 12-31-2008, 08:29 PM

Woo hoo mothercat!! ITA...I read all the time that exercising is SO much better for even elderly folks than not. And older runners have better BRAINS, as well as bodies.

We are having a really weird week but good in some ways. We didn't end up going on our trip bc my friend called just as we were getting ready to leave and she had the bad stomach flu, up all night with it, and we were only going to stay two days. So we didn't go on our trip, but since we were packed we found another place to go (very nice, thanks HBM, hope you are not sick or the unmentionable either!) and stayed there last night. It was GREAT, and now we are home even though we didn't plan to be. But you know, it's kind of nice, and now we have another day to clean and put away xmas stuff.

rr: I ran for an hour this morning on the TM, watching HGTV which I don't usually get.

weight related: I would like to finally get rid of these seven pounds....weight watchers has worked for me in the past but I wasn't running as many miles. just cutting down doesn't exactly work for me...I need to measure it in some way. So I may try ww again and if I am too hungry I'll try something else. I just am tired of always thinking about it, and like Jo I have done it before and just need to get back on the @#$% wagon.

speaking of, penelope, you are cracking me up! The Lutherans do make a mean potluck. And cookies. And everything else.

take care mamas and HAPPY NEW YEAR'S EVE to all!!! Anybody else have big plans you can see what mine are!
#1237 of 1253 Old 12-31-2008, 08:43 PM

i just wanted to say that I also have been very very thankful for all of the advice and support that I have received from you guys this past year.

exactly 1 year ago today I joined the gym and made a comittment to lose weight. I have not lost nearly as much as I planned for a year ago, but I have learned so much and improved my health in many other ways that are unrelated to weight. I actually am incredibly fit based upon teh amount and intensity of exercise that I am able to do. I realize that weight is not the whole picture. I definitley want to lose more weight, but it's no longer my focus. I hope that the fat and pounds will come off as a byproduct of my new plans and goals for 2009.

Anyway, I am thankful for you ladies :

ETA: we are going to a sports bar (taco mac for the locals) for a late dinner. My football team's bowl game is tonight, here in Atl, on ESPN, we have neither tickets or ESPN

FMR: 2 hour special gym class today... 30 spin, 30 strength, 30 cardio, 30 core... I did great throughout.. then I got a migraine this afternoon :

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#1238 of 1253 Old 12-31-2008, 09:02 PM

I'm thankful for you ladies, too. I would never have come this far (26.2!--and that's only the running) without you all this past year. I love you all!!

HaPpY NeW yEaR!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#1239 of 1253 Old 12-31-2008, 09:14 PM

Mothercat, my point was/is that injuries are more likely due to age and you have to do more to counterbalance age, like warming up, stretching, maintaining strength with whatever kind of training to keep from burdening your joints as cartilage wears down. I do think form is very important, but there are so many types of bodies - doesnt it matter how your body is built? Someone with a really wide hip to knee ratio may just be more inclined to hip and knee problems than someone else, no? or is that a misconception? You dont see many elderly runners. Some, but not many. You do see a lot of older swimmers. Is this because so many runners run with bad form that they cause injury over time and attribute it to age? Are we saying the same thing I absolutely think my injuries are due to bad training, and maybe some bad form, although why could I run for 20 years without problems and now I cant, if not the need for age-appropriate training?

Ok, so dd2, 1 year old, just went to bed after being awake for 13 hours with NO NAP. She (we) are sick, and somehow this translates into no sleep!? At least she was happy for the most part, only had to hold her for about 4 hours of it. I need a nap, but this is the only time Ive been kid free and I want some time to myself

Happy New Year All!

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#1240 of 1253 Old 01-01-2009, 01:32 AM

modmom--enjoy your 405! How cool!

tjsmama--hope you feel better soon.

RR resolutions:
-1/2 marathon this spring
-exercising 4-5x/week

non-RR resolutions:
-declutter the house (in progress already!)
-decide about ttc
-finish revisions and graduation paperwork
-submit paper proposal
-revise diss for publication in some form
-start garden seedlings early
-set career goals for 1, 2, and 5 years

I think DH may have fallen asleep with DD upstairs. If so, I think I'm going to sneak in a quick TM walk. If not, I'm going to eat food and watch movies.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#1241 of 1253 Old 01-01-2009, 02:00 AM

cathtoria - for the 2 hour gym class. That sounds hard core!

Happy new year, dingoes! I wish you were all here to have some champagne with me. DH is at work, so now that the kids are asleep, my NYE party consists of me, myself and I.
#1242 of 1253 Old 01-01-2009, 02:13 AM

Aw, cornflake. : I can relate, as last year's NYE party consisted of me and my mom (who I love, but honestly, is kinda lame). Not that this year is much better, with me and H, already in our jammies, and unlikely to do so much as hug, let alone kiss.

I managed to recover enough to hit the grocery store (desperately needed) this afternoon and holy smokes! Apparently, Whole Foods is THE place to be on NYE. It was insanity. The regular grocery store was marginally better, at least. We had a major fight on our hands at DS's bedtime as H assembled his new parking garage from grandma right before bed and of course, he wanted to stay up and play. No amount of logic could convince him that it will still be here in the morning.

Goals...not sure I can come up with better ones than last years (which I'm pretty confident that I achieved). RR: break 2 hours for a half, finish a 70.3, keep considering a full mary . NRR: remain strong and confident through whatever lies ahead in my marriage. That has to be the big one, I think. That whatever happens, I know that I'm good enough to make it on my own if I need to.

Happy New Year, dingoes! Much, much to all of you! :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#1243 of 1253 Old 01-01-2009, 02:56 AM

BEC - did you run tonight?! :
oooh it looked cold in NYC! i was watching CNN's coverage [since we celebrate east coast new year's here which puts us in bed at the reasonable hour of 10pm pacific!] and one of their correspondents was running the central park 4 miler with his sweet little daughter! i hope it was a fun race for you!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#1244 of 1253 Old 01-01-2009, 03:22 AM

Goal: to start and restart Couch to 5K as many times as needed to regain my ability to run 3 miles at a time. I have some other loose goals, but if this is the one and only thing I concretely achieve in 2009 I will be happy.

I don't know how you mamas who run significant mileage with a young babe do it. DS only sleeps on or next to us and nurses like a newborn. Between the kids, the job, and the house I can't commit to anything beyond C25K. For example, I would like to get back to knitting, but realistically I don't see how I will have the time so I'm not going to add the pressure of making a knitting resolution. I just have to remind myself that if all those other things don't happen, it's because I was nursing the baby or whatnot.

The exercise, though, has to happen. My body is so achy and weak, and I could use the emotional boost.

DS awake, must go... Happy New Year Dingos!!! :

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#1245 of 1253 Old 01-01-2009, 10:20 AM

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :

eks the first year of ds's life I couldn't. I had the same problems and my mileage just had to be more limited. I was just too tired. It was also just so hard to get over that hump of getting where it felt good again. For so long it just felt hard. But eventually it did improve and with exactly the mentality you've adopted. I just kept starting over and over and over until eventually I could run further than 2 miles without desperately counting the steps until mile 3 was done.

I ran a 5k resolution run last night, it was fun. I ran it slower than typical for me, but my goals was to push myself, but not kill myself. I think I did it in about 24:40ish...I missed the third woman in my age group by about 4 seconds (I think - my chip didn't register my finish...)
#1246 of 1253 Old 01-01-2009, 10:40 AM

Welcome 2009!!!!!

I conked out on the sofa at 11:00pm :.

Great job on the resolution run, BBM! That sounds like fun.

eksmom ~ when DD2 was young I remember taking the children to the Y and ALWAYS getting called to childcare to either nurse or change a diaper about 20-30 minutes into my workout. You're doing great, especially with a 8 month old. I know you'll be running 3 miles easily by this summer .

My friend e-mailed me to let me know that a group is meeting up at 1:30pm for a New Year's run ! Can't wait!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#1247 of 1253 Old 01-01-2009, 10:43 AM

my kids are NUTS this morning. : I'm wondering if it's going to be a crazy '09....

But....thought I would wish you all a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope it is happy and healthy for all the dingoes, baby dingoes, and SO's.

eks, I ran a half when ds was 13 months (with you!) and I'm not sure how, except I didn't have a job at that point and on Saturdays I'd just nurse, hand him over and go. If I had a f/t job then, I am sure I'd be in the same boat. Early morning running works best now, but I could only bring myself to do that after ds started sleeping pretty consistently (about 20 months old or so). so, give yourself a break, and when you can do more, do more. running is ALWAYS there, that's the great thing about it.

dh is in a cleaning frenzy (yay!) and so I will help him til 9, and then I'm out for the first run of 2009!

I have a mileage goal for '09.....it's not really a round number but it keeps my mileage up for the year and allows for some setbacks. 1200 miles in '09, which will be a personal record for me. take care mamas and have a good day!
#1248 of 1253 Old 01-01-2009, 11:19 AM

I have to say, its nice to hear about others first years. All three of my first years, my running/exercise has gone off the rails (although, I dont have a job Dd2 is 1 on Saturday and I feel like its a huge turning point, b/c with all of them, at 1 year, life started to turn a corner. Im optimistic about getting a work-out schedule started now that she is more adaptable.

Hang in there Eks, it IS hard!! Can you get out for walks, just for the mental clarity/release?

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#1249 of 1253 Old 01-01-2009, 11:23 AM

eks~I struggled the first year too. Then, I sometimes chose running over family time--maybe more often than I should have but it was necessary for me to complete my training, and that's what I needed to do for my own happiness. Babies and young children are draining. I think it's about finding a balance that fulfills you the most.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#1250 of 1253 Old 01-01-2009, 11:57 AM
bec

I tried replying last night, but something went wrong. Probably too much post run alcohol! Yes, I did run last night! It was so much fun! Total blast. I got a decent time, too! 40:16 by their clock (it was a fun run so no official times), 39:25 by my Garmin. The costumes were cool, and it was so much fun running to fireworks! A guy proposed to his girlfriend at the finish line over the P.A. too! There were more fireworks when she said "YES". Definitely well worth it!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#1251 of 1253 Old 01-01-2009, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
#1252 of 1253 Old 01-02-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksmom View Post
I don't know how you mamas who run significant mileage with a young babe do it. DS only sleeps on or next to us and nurses like a newborn. Between the kids, the job, and the house I can't commit to anything beyond C25K.
It really depends on the kid. DD barely napped for 20 minutes at a time and it usually had to be in my lap, but if I put her in the jogging stroller, she'd sleep as long as we were in motion. I think I did a 5K when she was 5 months old, a trail 10K when she was 9 months old, but I didn't mange to get a half-marathon in until she was 15 months old. I did an 11 miler once with her in stroller when she was probably 18 months and she was great about it. The jogging stroller saved my sanity a lot.

Now that she's 4, she wants nothing to do with the jogging stroller, unless we're running to the library for books. (She's still ok with the bike trailer, and small enough to fit, thankfully!)

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#1253 of 1253 Old 01-02-2009, 04:23 PM

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page