Dingos sprint through the snow to the holidays! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What a DAY!

It's 8PM. We just finished dinner. I got up early in case I could run--or, alternately, in case I needed to shovel/blow snow--but I was kinda sore/tired from the exercise party, so I just did chores and talked with dh on the phone. The drive to work wasn't too bad, since the snow really was only halfway through at 7:30.

Then, work is always its own beast, kwim? On the bright side, I collected a *sweet* freelance project check.

Then I had an appt to replace my IUD. First, I had to unearth my car and drive on greasy-snowy streets. Then I got to pay $1200 out of pocket. Then, the scale insulted me, then my BP was higher than usual. Then, after I undressed, the doc was suddenly called to emergency surgery.

I know, if I were the one in surgery, I'd appreciate her willingness to drop everything. But still. I'd paid a ton of money and taken off my pants.

Now, I'm rescheduled to have it done Monday. On a major Muslim holiday. Talk about holiday drama. But seriously, on that subject, the holidays for all their headaches make me appreciate my sisters and brothers with a whole new love.

OK, so because I wasted an hour sitting pantless at the doc, I had to stay late at work. Then, we came home and I stuck a squash in the oven and rice on the stove and blew out the driveway in the dark, then shoveled a little for good measure. And then fed and watered the animals.

I may be having a breakthrough with the ram. He baaaa'ed at me today. Sure, he sounded kinda like Godzilla, but at least he said something. He also trapped me in the little girls' pen twice while he licked up spilled corn from the floor on the other side of the gate. Those are my favorite farm moments.

Then I came up to the house and fed kids, and they just brushed teeth and went to bed. They are SO EASY when dh is not home.

I am counting on a run tomorrow morning. 4, maybe 5 miles total would be awesome.

Mothercat, I love my shoulders. They are muscular. And I like doing planks and pushups and all manner of exercises to help them. But I don't think I really like them more so much when I am exercising them.

eks, I think I would call and ask if I could bring my nursling.

And I also like to clean. But not when my kids are in the house. Then, I absolutely HATE to clean. It's very weird, I know.

Going to bed so I don't stay up and eat out of fatigue and restlessness. 'Night Dingos.
#122 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 11:18 PM

I can't keep up today.

My mom and grandmother are coming from New Orleans for a week around Chrsitmas. then all 7 of use will go to my MIL's house Christmas day, to spend with dh's 5 siblings, their spouses adn kids.. it will be sooo crowded!!!

spin class today. As I was tryinf to clip in, one of my shoes would not take. got teh shoe off, adn one of the 2 bolts was missing, adn teh cleat had turned 45 degrees :. I couldn't turn it with my hand, but I got off teh bike, face down near teh pedal, clicked teh front part in and twisted teh cleat in place. Then I gingerly put my shoe on, clicked in adn left it there for the whole class. I had an extra set on bolts that came with the shoes, so I need to screw it in tonight.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#123 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
ETA: mothercat, my mind is going all KINDS of bad places.... but if you're talking about actual exercise, I like my legs, and I like when dh goes "are you flexing that?" and I'm not
I wondered if I should be more specific, but couldn't come up with the language. Let's try this. Since we all seem to be some sort of athletic, I'm asking about the non-crosstraining muscles.

mothercat

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#124 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 11:29 PM

was MB referring to comments made during crosstraining???? :shock: :

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#125 of 1253 Old 12-03-2008, 11:38 PM

I have not bought exercise clothes in so long that I dont think internet shopping existed when I did it last! Im not kidding. My boobs are not so big, so Ive gotten away with having 3 or 4 bras for several years, only one of which I really like. Well, that one is finally getting too stretched out, despite the small ta-ta's, and then there's the lycra shorts I wear, which, like I said, Ive had since the mid-90's. Today I tried going commando, as Ive found myself digging my underwear out of my crack when I transition to the TM from the bike, and of course the TM is in the front row of all the machines, and the weights, at my gym. Now, Im not a modest person, in fact, I kind of like to offend people by my immodesty (nothing unseemly, just things like nursing where ever the f*** I want, or going braless...), but this digging is not funny debauchery, I think its reached the point of just being gross

All that said, I have no idea where to get clothes, what types are best, etc. My bras are from all different places (Champion, Patagonia, ?, ?) and my shorts are from Title 9. I would like to get some capris, some bras and some shorts, and heck, a tank top or three. I am reluctant to shop online without trying things on and feeling the fabrics, but I *think* there are better deals online? So, what are y'alls faves and why? Or, can you point me in a direction for general products, like, what's that running gear magazine thingy called?

jo - sorry about the cash and the scale and the unnecessary nudity! Glad the ram seemed to understand

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#126 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 12:04 AM

A couple of my favorites from y'all today !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
and I like when dh goes "are you flexing that?" and I'm not
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
I'd paid a ton of money and taken off my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post
Today I tried going commando, as Ive found myself digging my underwear out of my crack when I transition to the TM from the bike.
Dingos sure know how to have fun, eh?

Well, my cold seems to be morphing into a sinus infection, complete with swollen lymph nodes, feverish shakes, and massive pressure in my head, so I skipped the YMCA tonight and ended up passing out next to DD2 on her bed for an hour. Now I'm fresh as a daisy . Perhaps DH will reap the benefits of my little nap tonight .

Re: Family Drama. Can I just say how glad I am NOT to be going to New Hampshire this Christmas... Not only was last year incredibly stressful, but this year my sister is having some major issues with her marriage (ie her new husband is turning out to be a Jerk, with a capital J) and apparently Thanksgiving was a mess of crying and angst and stress. No thank you. It will be just our happy little family celebrating at home this year. And I'm really glad.

mothercat ~ my favorite body part is definitely my legs. Although they are kind of big, I like that they are really, really strong. Call me quadzilla .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#127 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 12:54 AM

Let me just repeat JayGee for favorite quotes of the day. Y'all are hysterical today.

1jooj - I had my annual today (my every 3 years annual, that is) and went to our practice's nurse practioner for lack of any one better to go to, and I'm not really having any problems, so just need an exam. The scale insulted me, too. And the NP said "Gee, your cervix is REALLY low!" and then told me she thinks I have a fibroid. I'm mostly ignoring all that because I don't have any issues (other than my weight which is getting out of hand.)

mothercat - was something in the air last week? I had 6 births in 7 days, which is way over my usual and I'm still trying to recover. One was a really lovely repeat client who had a quick easy birth, but the other 6 were a something, even the scheduled repeat cesarean was a drama as the parents are splitting up and things were really tense.

JenLove - forgot to say that your sling is really lovely. I love my ring slings, although nowadays I use them to carry other people's babies (the last baby I had in my sling was eksmom's little guy while we were camping this summer.) My slings were made for me by wemoon - wonder how she's doing these days?

Geo - how's the childcare coming?

mamabeth - I had to laugh at our own chick pastor abbreviating the f word - dang computers really bring out the best in us, huh?

I did run tonight, my usual easy run of 3.5 miles plus a warm up and cool down. Got the cupcakes made with dd for her friend's b-day, and cast on some socks, so all in all it wasn't such a bad day off!

favorite body part? I'd have to really think about it. In general, I'm satisfied except that I've gained some weight and would like to get rid of it. I think I'd have to go with my legs, though, as even though they are a little solid in the thigh area they are strong and pretty defined. And it helps that they carried me through a marathon!
#128 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
was MB referring to comments made during crosstraining???? :shock: :
MB didn't say it directly,and I suppose we will have to wait for her to explain.

cathoria: you're little emeticon cracked me up. I'm trying really hard not to break out in giggles because DH is trying to watch the late sports.

doctorjen: not sure what's in the water there. I've had an interesting non-birth related week.
Surrogate wanting to have her baby OOH because the doc was such a jerk last time and hospital staff was judgmental about "womb for rent",
1st trimester mom with bleeding no cramping and really good strong heartbeat (declined US/labs),
and a mom I was supposed to interview with this week who called to cancel because she found out she has twins and twin to twin transfusion at 16 weeks.

I realized today that I am greatly enjoying the lack of births at the moment. Needed a break way more than I thought. Hope you are able to get one soon.

megs_bk: a question for you. The point where I had iontophoresis today feels tight and sore. I don't remember this happening the last time I did this therapy. Normal?

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#129 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 01:51 AM

sparkle - I used to have to do dinner/bed 5 nights a week by myself, so I know how much it sucks with little ones - and I only have 2.

bec - wow, about your mom, wow. I don't know what else to say. That's crazy!

mamabeth - I read blogs from random people off RW, too. :

Thank you for the commiseration on my messy house. Actually, it's much better now - I got lots done today. My quads are sore from squatting to pick up so much junk. I SO wish that I loved cleaning. I can see how maybe it could be kind of meditative. It's probably too late for this old dog to learn that trick, though.

Favorite body part? It's really hard for me to say because I really don't love my body....maybe my stomach? It's not ripped or anything, but somehow I escaped pregnancy w/o stretch marks or saggy skin.
#130 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 03:16 AM

Mothercat... hmmm, that sounds different. I don't know if it's an abnormal response, though -- ultrasound alone is supposed to enhance circulation (and therefore inflammatory) response, so I guess it could happen that it might result in some ouchiness. What type of medication are they using for the iontophoresis? Dexamethasone? Anyway, I might have to dust off last year's modalities textbook and check that out.

ETA: fave body part... legs. Been proud for a long time. They are long and shapely. Their THIGHS are not so hot anymore, but I can still wear an above-knee skirt and feel proud. I used to heart my stomach, but didn't have the same luck as Cornflake...

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#131 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
Geo - how's the childcare coming?
I guess today it's not really an issue because E is now puking. I'm so stressed that my stomach hurts, of course, that makes me think I'm gonna get it next. so it's 3:30 am, and I working between bouts of wiping E's face and tossing more towels into the wash.

I've been stretched beyond my breaking point.

But to add to y'all's amusement, I'm reading 75 undergraduate research proposals, including "Exploration of Personality and Social Variables in college Hookah smokers."

You can't make this stuff up.
#132 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 08:52 AM

Geo, is that like asking permission to sit around and smoke weed for a few years, collecting the best anecdotes for publication?

I'm pretty sure I could have done that, had I written it down.

docjen, my mom ignored a fibroid for a long time. It got really big...I actually figure those are in my future, but I wonder whether the Mirena hormone could help reduce the likelihood...?

fwiw, I was relieved to actually get a period after I got home, which means I am at my absolute heaviest of the month, and then I guess it aint so bad.

sparkletruck, I feel you on the solo gig. For me, it has its pros and cons. It fatigues me, but when I am on, it can be so good.

and I thought mamabeth was talking about her legs.
#133 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 09:44 AM

happy to report a 3 mile run this morning. already done.

fave body part - probably my boobs. especially when i've been exercising and they're not carrying extra mass. they're just cute little b cups and i like them. my least fave is my legs, because they're so short even though i'm not. i've got a wicked long torso, which i like, but i wish i had legs that were appropriate for the rest of my height.
#134 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 10:13 AM

You ladies are hilarious right now! Jo you are really making me :

I actually walked most of my workout on the treadmill today. I got my 4 miles in and some nice conversation but I think I might try new shoes.

I like my stomach. It is quite toned and firm right now but I can still shock people by pulling all my extra striped skin up out of my pants. It makes me giggle at their shock. That sounds so wrong and odd. I hate my second (third if you count the ones on my face) set of cheeks that are made up of the same extra skin.

Geo I could meet in Brown County, Bloomington, or Indy. Dh often goes to the library with ds1 and dd1 as research assistants. They man the copiers or go into the stacks pulling books for him while I usually shop or stay home or eat or go to the park or well, you get the idea.

As awful as it sounds I really enjoy our little family holidays with no extended family. We got used to doing things our way. Now that we are back in the states and then my parents moved w/i 2 hours of us there are so many more expectations of us. I don't feel like living up to all of it. I hope that doesn't make me act like drjen's mom in the future.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#135 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Favorite body part ~ Either my tummy (we'll see how it makes it out of pregnancy now though ) or my biceps. I love them because they were tone and defined.

I plan on grabbing some breakfast, getting DH off to class, and then I'm going to the Y for a bit. I'll probably go on the treadmill and then lift legs on the machines.

laughup: Thanks for all the laughs last night, ladies. You all crack me up!

GMM ~ Way to go getting in 3 already!

Geo ~ Sorry you have a sick little one.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#136 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 10:44 AM

Good Morning!

Ugh.... our hot water heater pilot light will not stay lit. So no shower for me today... ewww! Must call the plumber this morning.

I'm going to Sam's Club with a friend who has a membership to buy all the food for our party. Hopefully I won't end up spending an arm and a leg (hopeful, but not optimistic about that ).

Geo, I hope your little one is feeling better and the pukies do not make the rounds. Love that research idea !

Maybe I'll get to the Y at some point today. At least they have hot showers, which is a major plus at the moment.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#137 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 10:45 AM

Fave body part:
not sure, I like my smile, but I also like my calves, quads, triceps.
Oh, I like my boobs when they are in a nice bra and not exercising. They are too big for exercise, they get in teh way, and they just look huge. But day in day out, when lifted up in a nice bra, I know there are many moms arround me who would (and do) pay good money for a rack idenntical to mine (cept theirs woudl not require the heavy duty bra like mine do to look their best, LOL). My fave part of my boobs is their multi tasking ability... my dh (and icky men seem to adore them, and at the same time they fed, noursihed and comforted my 3 kids with perfection

I do not like my stomach (shocker), but I hope to change that soon! I also do not have pretty hands or fingers. My MIL and my oldest dd have Beautiful hands and fingers. I tell my dd that she could be a hand model, and I secretly have true envy of her beautiful hands

Mandy, I'm trying to follow, but what are you training for? That championship race? and/or you are doing an endurance athlete study??? I'm lost and I wasn't able to figure it out b/c I think I missed some posts. It soulds exciting!

Gaye, I think you had the 2 race deliema... is the 2nd race the same (half) ironman distance??? The one that's part of teh 3 series, good green organizers? If so, go for that one. Even if it's not the same distance, it sounds liek that's teh best one for you (but I hope you can get the 70.3 sticker, LOL)

Had MB reported back explaining her crosstraining post????? I'm not sure I'll be able to look S in teh eye after reading that

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#138 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Geo I could meet in Brown County, Bloomington, or Indy. Dh often goes to the library with ds1 and dd1 as research assistants. They man the copiers or go into the stacks pulling books for him while I usually shop or stay home or eat or go to the park or well, you get the idea.
: Did I miss something? : I'm in Ohio, and I'll be in SF soon.
#139 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 10:51 AM

Geo - if your students need any research subjects, I'll send my sister their way, she is totally into hookah : But, big for all your craziness right now and : your way!

Body part, hmmm not sure I have a favorite, but just pretty content all the way around I guess. I do really like my hair, does that count?

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#140 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 10:59 AM

I have to admit a trip to wikipedia to figure out what hookah even was.

30 more proposals to read... 2 babysitter interviews set up. 2 more loads of laundry to do. 2 more talks to prepare.
#141 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 11:06 AM

SPAM, I'm stocking my HCstore with tons of dyed clothing this week. used code MDC10 for 10% off, if you'd like!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#142 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

My workout at the Y might be on hold today. My SIL is about 38/39 weeks pregnant and started with light contractions in the middle of the night. She's at work now, but if she goes to the hospital I will be babysitting her older daughter so I don't want to go too far from home. Will probably do my strength training video and some yoga to calm me down since I'm so excited now! :

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#143 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
: Did I miss something? : I'm in Ohio, and I'll be in SF soon.
I meant JayGee but would you join us somewhere for a meet up, I am close enough to Ohio. I think my brain is on holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocj View Post
Geo - if your students need any research subjects, I'll send my sister their way, she is totally into hookah : But, big for all your craziness right now and : your way!

Body part, hmmm not sure I have a favorite, but just pretty content all the way around I guess. I do really like my hair, does that count?
Ugh, my hair is falling by the handful for the second time since Linus was born. My pregnancy weight just would not come off and I had a litany of other complaints. I went in twice to have my thyroid/hormone levels tested before he was 9 months old. The doc agreed I had textbook symptoms but my blood work was normal so no treatment. Then between 9 months and 1 year my weight went back to normal. Now my hair is falling out again. I have really thick hair so it just means I can use regular rubber bands w/o breaking them but I know it is thinning. That and the mental confusion and fatigue is upsetting. I am told that is just parenting but honestly I used to feel much more together and confident.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#144 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 11:33 AM

Where are you mammajb? My schedule is packed to the point that I informed my kids this morning that all illnesses must be canceled for the next two weeks, and that any further illnesses need to be put on the calendar immediately.
#145 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 12:03 PM

Geo - umm, you dont know what hookah is b/c you are in your early thirties with a PhD, two kids, and a job at a University! If you did know the hookah, you would have all that but be about a decade older

Im with you Jo, sign me up for that class.... although, I would be like Jane Whats-her-name, who studies the monkeys, and the monkeys would be, of course, my ex-boyfriends... sigh

rr~ woke at 6, nursed dd2, dressed, poured hot water through coffee filter (1/2 caff.), two older dc's wake (ds roles out of bed fully clothed, including hat; "mom, I woke up in the middle of the night and got dressed!"), hand them all off to Dh, just rousted for the occasion. 20 min. on the bike, 45 minute weight circuit, 20 min. c25k, and back home in time for Dh to hand off dd2, and load the other two in the car for school/work. Aaaah...

Today I must; clean the car, pack all equipment in case of 'stuck-in-snow-storm' scenario (sleeping bags, snow shovel...), do laundry, pack clothes for 5, make muffins for car breakfast, make dinner with enough left-overs for car, pack cooler.... i think that's it. Oh yes, dont forget to pick kids up from school!

Favorite body part~I think my hands. They are knobby and veiny, not elegant, and yet something about them, Ive always liked 'em. And once, someone commented and I thought to myself "finally!" I have good body parts - my mom may have dropped the ball (as in, but not the bottle), but she has a great bod. My only complaint these days is age : = sagging skin has begun (knees, and since babe #3, tummy...

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#146 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 12:07 PM

For those who are wondering - I did not wear the lycra today, so no digging. I wore my red cut-off sweat pants that Ive had since high school

#147 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 12:21 PM

3 miles done this morning.

I'm back from the dermatologist and blissfully numb, though kind of bummed that I didn't need any heavy painkillers. Really, there's not much fun in Advil.

Jenlove-Send wonderful vibes to your SIL. : How exciting!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#148 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 01:16 PM

Um, NO, I did NOT mean during c/t, I meant my legs, and I knew that the dingoes (bc I love ya) would take it the wrong way! and I was just too f'ing tired to change it. F'ing f'ing f'ing! Just because I'm tired from my f'ing chickpastor job! Which I still love! but which is increasing in demand just like I knew it would!

HBM, I am a horrible friend since I did not remember your surgery was today, but I hope all is well and let us know if you need anything! is your mom there?

take care mamas, my f'ing computer bleeps outall the time here so I will try to check back later. love y'all.
#149 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 01:17 PM

[QUOTE=sparkletruck;12732239
Today I must; clean the car, pack all equipment in case of 'stuck-in-snow-storm' scenario (sleeping bags, snow shovel...), do laundry, pack clothes for 5, make muffins for car breakfast, make dinner with enough left-overs for car, pack cooler.... i think that's it. Oh yes, dont forget to pick kids up from school!
[/QUOTE]

wait, aren't you driving DE -> MA? is there a lot of snow forecasted that I don't know about? I might venture to suggest that you don't need too much extra equipment while traversing the NE corridor. don't forget the cheese and crackers. my mom always pulled them out on long drives and we had 'Happy Hour!' - fond memories

Gigi - i'm training to kick-@$$ on my bike next summer culminating in a crazy race in CO in August.

oh year, Caillie, where in AZ are you? I may end up in Tucson for a weekend at the end of January.
#150 of 1253 Old 12-04-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
oh year, Caillie, where in AZ are you? I may end up in Tucson for a weekend at the end of January.
Mandy! I'm up in the Phoenix area, but its not too far from Tucson
We go down there occasionally to the Saguaro park and the Desert Museum, it is DD's favorite.... Keep me posted!!!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page