Dingos sprint through the snow to the holidays! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Come on in and join the fun! Our goal is forward motion whether you're walking or sprinting!

Can't believe we are running into the holidays and the New Year! : :

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#2 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 05:09 PM

subbing
#3 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 05:12 PM

: subbing

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#4 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 05:16 PM

Here's the race list for the December thread. Please PM me if you'd
like me to add something for you!

: dingo race list
:

tjsmama - Chilly Cheeks Duathalon series - January 17
tjsmama - Chilly Cheeks Duathalon series - February 28
HomeBirthMommy, mamabeth - Tampa Bay Distance Classic Gasparilla Marathon - March 1
SugarAndSun, kate~mom - Boston Marathon - April 20, 2009
Penelope - Kentucy Derby Half Marathon - April 25, 2009
JayGee, doctorjen, Balancin1, Runningmommy, babybugmama, Geofizz, mommajb, bec - Indianapolis Mini Marathon - May 2, 2009
grnmtnmama - bike race Flower Power - May 23
Plady - San Juan Island Half Marathon - June 7,2009
Plady, poppywise, 1jooj, crebrun - San Francisco Marathon - July 26, 2009
grnmtnmama - Single Speed World Championships - August 9

The Preggo Dingo List

VeganCupcake - It's a , welcome Li'l Cupcake!
Jenlove - mid-February

Other places to find the Dingos:

: cooking blog :

knitting blog

We have a private Yahoo group. Submit a request to join and mention your MDC
username in the request so we know who you are.

We also have a private location map. Send a PM to eksmom to get info
and join up.

Why are we called the Dingos?
See this post.
#5 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 05:22 PM

subbing
#6 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 05:30 PM

Though by posting on the December thread I do not acknowledge the fact that it is indeed December. It will be November until I hit 30000 words. Got that?
#7 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 05:55 PM

: We have zero snow on the ground. But it is so *freaking* cold out.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#8 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 06:04 PM

back from an easy hour on the bike at the gym. not that it was easy to sit and spin for an hour, just that it was a 'take it easy' sort of day after riding 2:40 on my singlespeed outside yesterday.
#9 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 06:17 PM

: : :
#10 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 06:29 PM

it's been snowing (flurries) on and off all day.. which means that all o teh grocery stores are out of bread and milk, LOL

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#11 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 06:29 PM

Here's to dipping my toe in the water (so to speak) by introducing myself to you all out there in MDC-land! (Although I have been lurking for weeks now. )

I am a 43 yo mom of 3, getting back into running after several years off. I did the c25k a few weeks ago and am now on the 3rd week of Hal Higdon's 8k training schedule (novice). My goal is endurance rather than speed, as I have never been very fast (10min/mile is my dream ).

Your stories and updates are all very motivating to me! Thanks!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#12 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 06:39 PM

I have off and on posted on the Dingos threads here... Right now I am walking every day after a few months off of running (only occasional walking). I spent most of last year dealing with shin splints, and trying to get over them. I've been pain free for a while now, and I am going to be walking for a while before I get back to running at all.

So... HI, DINGOS!!
#13 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 06:44 PM

subbing...

CathToria, I think this is why you went in for the checkup. Give it a try and see how you do. You have been working hard. Set a time period, be smart, and then re-evaluate in say 6 months or whatever you are being told.

What is it about snow that makes people crave French toast? Why else would everyone suddenly need milk, eggs, and bread?

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#14 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 07:02 PM

I had a great ride and run this a.m.; hour on the bike and then my 20 min. of c25k (week 2?). I admit, I was pretty sore from lifting Saturday, so I took some arnica before my workout and it was Im not proud of this.... when I was in college, a teammate introduced me to coffee + ibuprofen before workouts (which I only used for runs sometimes), but hoo-boy, does that make for a kick a$$ run. I dont take Ibu. anymore, or drink coffee, but the arnica felt similar

Anyway, I had some great breakthroughs about my writing during my workout. Ive been sort of stuck on this one essay Im working on and I got unstuck and motivated. I when workouts do that. So Ima happy camper today. One day at a time...

My closest IRL friend ran a half yesterday, and afterward got horribly ill, from both ends, at the same time, if you know what Im sayin'. The funny part is that her dh is not the most "on" co-parent, so not only was he on yesterday, but also cleaning up the barf from the bathroom floor every time she went to the bathroom, which a lot We're not sure what happened. She's an experienced, trained athlete...... wierd.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#15 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 07:19 PM

Sparkletruck...arnica before running! I will have to try that! LOL

Nemesis, Mel38..Welcome!!!

I ran today at lunch. Y'all I'm a weather wimp, but I did it! I was freezing for the first 20 min, but warmed up after that (except my hands). I was motivated because I can't let December eating and crazy schedules get to me!

Plady and Jo..so glad y'all got to meet up! I wish I was there!

Atlanta Dingo's! I"m going to be right in your area two days this week! I'll be very near you on Wed at lunchtime if you want to do a quick run or get some coffee and bagels lmk!!! I'll be doing my Saturday thing too.
#16 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 07:33 PM

Oh yeah Mommabelle-I'd love to meet up!

Welcome you dingoes coming out of lurkdom!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#17 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 07:47 PM

Mel38 and Nemesis! Welcome!

Still tired here, but no time for napping today. And so much for my hypothetical thoughts of getting up early to go to the 5:45 spin class in the morning! Oh well, H should be around so I can go out for a run in the afternoon while DS naps. The little punk passed out cold in the car on the way back from PT, snoring loudly. Refused to eat lunch and had a complete meltdown until for some reason (I have no idea why) I offered to let him sit on the couch and eat his hot dog and watch the Backyardigans. Whatever, bad mommy day, he's watched his entire tv allotment for the whole week today already, I think. Nemo twice, Sesame Street, and two eps of the Backyardigans. It worked though, and he proceeded to eat two hot dogs (and wanted more) and a granola bar. Whatever works sometimes, right?

PT was pretty good...she says no skiing till after New Years, but I can start working up my running distance a little. I estimate that it's going to take me an hour to do the 4 mile run portion of my duathlon in two weeks, but oh well. I just need to hope that the roads are clear so I can ride my road bike (instead of my super-slow mt bike) or the poor race organizers are going to be out there waiting for me for hours after the other racers are all done.

Speaking of which, drjen, can you add me to the race list for the Chilly Cheeks Winter Duathlon Series? #1 is December 13, #2 is January 17, and #3 is February 28. Thank you! :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#18 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 07:47 PM

I am so stressed right now so I have to make sure I run this week. I'm going to start Hal Higdon's Novice 10K plan ... so Tuesday run, Wednesday something, Thursday run and strength, Saturday bike and Sunday run. I'm done with undergrad in less than 3 weeks and everything is piling up, I don't know how I'm going to make it, and on top of that, I'm taking the GREs on Christmas Eve! What was I thinking?!?! Luckily I'm off to Florida for a week after that. I'm also applying for jobs right now which is sooo stressful but I may have a good lead on one, I hope it works out!

Here's hoping December isn't too cold and snowy up here because I don't know if I can handle it!
#19 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 08:21 PM

Ashley, the beauty of Higdon's plans, especially the novice ones, is that they're SO easy to fiddle with. Switch the days around so that they work for you! And if you don't quite get everything in, that's ok, too, just do the best you can, and it'll work out.

Forgot to mention before that I did some shopping last night. Came across a code for 20% off at Runners Warehouse, and they have free shipping AND free returns, so I ordered some CW-X running tights. Everyone on a ski message board I go to RAVES about them, and I'm not loving the Nike ones I picked up on clearance in the spring. I also got a pair of 3/4 length ones to wear as a baselayer for skiing. They're supposed to be phenomenal, the compression apparently really helps with muscle fatigue. Anybody have these?

I've been shopping a little too much, and sadly, none of it for others. I also just got new winter boots for DS and myself at Lands End, AND a new (casual, but not ski) winter coat for me since my old one is ridiculously big after my weight loss. At some point, I really need to buy some stuff for others...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#20 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 08:31 PM

Jess, responded to you on the end of last month's thread. Not sure if you saw it there or not.
#21 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 08:33 PM

drjen - if you were so inclined, i mean, no rush, but maybe, at your leisure...you can add me to the san francisco marathon on july 26 since i already registered for it and all....:

jo/plady - sounds like a great visit! i can't wait to meet you both [and reb and ND]

this freelance gig is kicking my butt this week...gotta run..

oh and i feel like it is xmas eve because my garmin arrives tomorrow! yay toys! :

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#22 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 09:13 PM

race list updated up to here.
#23 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 09:16 PM

OK-so I'm making it official. Doctorjen, could you put me down for Gasparilla Distance Classic Marathon? I can't believe I'm actually going to do this.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#24 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 09:29 PM

Drjen, please add me and reb to SFO Marathon in July 2009. We'll register once she's back from Aruba and in touch again. :

Yeah, all yall, it is way too nice to hang out with Dingos. I hope someday to have a rockin summer Dingo party with the sheep. Believe me, they party.

Here's me: : :yawning: : I had two weird nights in a row and it is wearing me down. First, Saturday night I got a middle-of-the-night call from a dear friend who needed help at home. I was happy to be able to help her out, but I didn't catch up on sleep. Then, this morning I was up at 3:30 and drove dh to the airport (just 7 miles, thankfully) before starting the day for real. Add snow, and just...bleh. And work was generally a bummer today. I actually ditched early to come home and blow the snow out of the driveway (good thing dh and I did snowblower drills this weekend ) before doing evening chores.

Bright side: I made the kids beef and cheese quesadillas and they ate like they were starving. : So did I. And tonight I am going to bed early so I can get up early and run on the TM. It will be OK.

Kombucha confession: I raise two gallons at a time, and I STILL RUN OUT. And I crack it open before I should.
#25 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 10:30 PM

Back from yoga - we're getting a new teacher in the new year and she subbed tonight. her style is a lot less meditative and a lot more ass-kicking. should be interesting. now i'm scarfing down thai leftovers, which i'm pretty sure isn't the best choice for dropping pounds.

DrJen - can you put me down for a couple of races, though they're bike races not running races. Flower Power on May 23 (may change, dates aren't set yet) and SSWC09 (Singlespeed world championships 2009) August 8 (i'm not sure i'll get into this one, but lets put it on there for now, it's more of a fun race than something serious but i'm still gunning for it.)
#26 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 10:44 PM

I just found out that I have high cholesterol. My doctor (very nice at the exam!) sounded a little tense with me on the voicemail - I need to control this with diet and exercise! Yeah, I know... but I eat well, I'm active, and I don't smoke or have other risk factors for heart disease. It's just a bummer.

Any suggestions for good websites on cholesterol-lowering eating? The few I looked at said things like "cut down on cake!" which is not really my problem.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#27 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
CathToria, I think this is why you went in for the checkup. Give it a try and see how you do. You have been working hard. Set a time period, be smart, and then re-evaluate in say 6 months or whatever you are being told.
yes, that is what I will do. He said that in 2 months, we shoudl know if it is helping or not. I took my 1st dose today, adn I did not experience any of teh tummy side effects that are common, yay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabelle View Post
Atlanta Dingo's! I"m going to be right in your area two days this week! I'll be very near you on Wed at lunchtime if you want to do a quick run or get some coffee and bagels lmk!!! I'll be doing my Saturday thing too.
I'm in for Weds. I have to pick E up from preschool at 12:30... no wait.. it's an early release day. I'll pick Eliz up at 11, but then I have to be home at 12:10 for the bus. Then I'll have all 3 kids 12:10 on. LMK what you guys are doing, and I'll try to meet up. I MBelle, I could meet you at LTF in Alpha if you want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
OK-so I'm making it official. Doctorjen, could you put me down for Gasparilla Distance Classic Marathon? I can't believe I'm actually going to do this.
AWESOME!!!! you are my hero! go go go HBM!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
Back from yoga - we're getting a new teacher in the new year and she subbed tonight. her style is a lot less meditative and a lot more ass-kicking. should be interesting. now i'm scarfing down thai leftovers, which i'm pretty sure isn't the best choice for dropping pounds.

DrJen - can you put me down for a couple of races, though they're bike races not running races. Flower Power on May 23 (may change, dates aren't set yet) and SSWC09 (Singlespeed world championships 2009) August 8 (i'm not sure i'll get into this one, but lets put it on there for now, it's more of a fun race than something serious but i'm still gunning for it.)
That new yoga teacher sounds more my type. I'm trying to like yoga, but I have a hard time getting into it, espec the mind part. That champ bike race sounds impressive!!!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#28 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 11:28 PM

Um.....go ahead and put me down for same marathon as HBM. Yowza. I can't believe i'm going to do it again. It's much like childbirth, I think.....

Wednesday's good for me until noon, after then, not so much. but I'd love to see ya if it works out.

I ran this morning, a nice easy three, and it felt good. I haven't run since the half which i think was a good decision, and then RP and i are jumping back in tomorrow. I just really feel happy every time I think about the half, because it's one of the only times I have ever set a decent goal time and made it.

take care mamas, ds keeps waking up at 5:30 so it is now bedtime for me.
#29 of 1253 Old 12-01-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
I just found out that I have high cholesterol. My doctor (very nice at the exam!) sounded a little tense with me on the voicemail - I need to control this with diet and exercise! Yeah, I know... but I eat well, I'm active, and I don't smoke or have other risk factors for heart disease. It's just a bummer.

Any suggestions for good websites on cholesterol-lowering eating? The few I looked at said things like "cut down on cake!" which is not really my problem.

I had high cholesterol too, from family genes. I was running in the 50mpw, vegetarian, normal weight and body fat, yadda yadda, and it was still out of wack. Now, I take 4g (4,000mg) of fish oil a day, and WALLAH! my cholesterol is picture perfect. No joke. good luck to you! My dad, has been on a cholesterol medicine, and just this year had to start taking an additional one, so I talked him into taking the fish oil too. He hasn't started yet, but did buy it, so we'll see how well it works for him too (at his physical next year).
#30 of 1253 Old 12-02-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
back from an easy hour on the bike at the gym. not that it was easy to sit and spin for an hour, just that it was a 'take it easy' sort of day after riding 2:40 on my singlespeed outside yesterday.
Oooh... I loe riding singlespeed. DH is going to do all his 100 milers on one next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
Forgot to mention before that I did some shopping last night. Came across a code for 20% off at Runners Warehouse, and they have free shipping AND free returns, so I ordered some CW-X running tights. Everyone on a ski message board I go to RAVES about them, and I'm not loving the Nike ones I picked up on clearance in the spring. I also got a pair of 3/4 length ones to wear as a baselayer for skiing. They're supposed to be phenomenal, the compression apparently really helps with muscle fatigue. Anybody have these?

I've been shopping a little too much, and sadly, none of it for others. I also just got new winter boots for DS and myself at Lands End, AND a new (casual, but not ski) winter coat for me since my old one is ridiculously big after my weight loss. At some point, I really need to buy some stuff for others...
Care to share. I have been running in my riding pants and it is horrible.

Question: How many miles to you ladies average per week?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page