No. I am NOT pregnant! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-20-2008, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yet again, I've just run into someone who thought I was expecting a baby this past spring. The last baby I had was born TWO AND A HALF years ago! (and she weighed 10 1/2 pounds, which may explain part of my problem.)

Everywhere I am a normal size 8, except for my stomach. I do high impact aerobics and I have great muscle tone (except for the abs, apparently) When I am consciously holding everything in, I look fine. I have a TON of loose skin, fat, and I've been trying to work on my muscle tone for over 6 months now (Tupler Technique, etc.) but it is very hard to find the time to do much more than suck it in a few times per day. I lost 12 pounds a few months ago that I gained over the summer. All my clothes fit loosely. Still, I stick out horribly.

Please tell me something more effective I can do other than a tummy tuck!
#2 of 13 Old 12-20-2008, 11:50 PM

I am wondering if you may not be engaging your transverse abdominal muscles. They are your deepest layer of abdominals, the ones that truly support your spine and the rest of your body. If you aren't engaging them, your outer layer of abs may not be pulling in as far as they could be. To engage transverse, think about pulling your belly button towards your spine (a lot like "sucking in"!), then consciously firm up your abs. When looking at them, your abs should not bulge out while doing this, they should flatten. Do that action whenever you exercise. Or anytime for that matter. You can sneak it in all day long.

Or, you might really just have extra skin.

Have you considered working with a personal trainer? They might be able to help you develop a fitness program that balances the right amount of cardio with the right amount of resistance training. Good luck to you!

: Mountain biking mama to one beautiful baby girl, born happily at home 8/26/2008.
Her signature would be: Sleep is for the Weak
#3 of 13 Old 12-21-2008, 12:18 PM

You might consider Spanx or some other kind of slimming undergarment - I own one and have been pleased with how it looks under more fitted clothes.

Fwiw, someone I haven't seen in a while saw me this fall and said, "You look great! The last time I saw you, you were *really* carrying around some baby weight!"

Thanks. My "baby" is almost five. Sometimes people are just insensitive, and it's their problem, not yours.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#4 of 13 Old 12-21-2008, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support (no pun intended...) I just saw a side view picture of myself at a party last week. ARgh.

I've thought about a personal trainer. I've never done anything like this. How do you find one that specializes in post pregnancy abs?

Yes, I have quite a lot of loose skin. I just don't know what to do with it all. My kids think its a wonderful toy to play with. I guess I will have to see if Spanx will do the trick for me...

I read the Tupler Technique and I am definitely working my transverse abs when I get the chance, and I hold them in the entire time when I go to aerobics. I wish I had 30 min per day to devote to the exercises and also that I didn't die of boredom while counting to 30 over and over and over...

One of my friends says that eating blueberries is supposed to help reduce belly fat or some such. Anyone heard of this?
#5 of 13 Old 12-21-2008, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No, eating blueberries will NOT do anything special for your stomach. They're a great food- lots of antioxidants and a great "carb bargain"- lots of nutrition for the carb count (important if you're on a low carb diet) but they're not a magic belly-shrinking berry!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#6 of 13 Old 12-22-2008, 12:07 AM

I wish I could say that it was easy to find a personal trainer specializing in post partum stuff. But the truth is that I am a personal trainer and was Clueless (capital C) about pregnancy and post partum exercise until I had a child myself (this past August). I made so many mistakes in my own exercise, I've had to learn a lot the hard way. And I still don't feel like an expert for sure.

But any personal trainer should have the knowledge to help you with basic weight loss and muscle toning. The stuff that is specific to post partum is specifically the deep abdominals as well as loosened ligaments (such as in your pubic bone and abdominals) that make it harder to "tighten up".

And Ruthla is right, there are no magic foods in this world! Calories in Calories out, that is all that matters when it comes to weight loss.

: Mountain biking mama to one beautiful baby girl, born happily at home 8/26/2008.
Her signature would be: Sleep is for the Weak
#7 of 13 Old 12-22-2008, 12:14 AM

If your upper abs are where you are getting this rounding - it may be something you cannot tone up. Sometimes while carrying a child (especially high) your abdominal muscles in the top can seperate and need surgical repair to fix it.
My mother has this and got a full tummy tuck and still has that rounding at the top because the muscles have seperation

Loving Mother to our adoption miracle, Riana :, and our angel baby, Xavier. Trying for baby. Wife to my Hero! BLOG LINK IN PROFILE
#8 of 13 Old 12-22-2008, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_Mother View Post
If your upper abs are where you are getting this rounding - it may be something you cannot tone up. Sometimes while carrying a child (especially high) your abdominal muscles in the top can separate and need surgical repair to fix it.
My mother has this and got a full tummy tuck and still has that rounding at the top because the muscles have separation

The tupler technique addresses this, Ms.Tupler[??] seems to think this is pretty common and has an awesome book on exercises to help with it! I have been doing some of the exercises and when I actually commit it helps a bunch!

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#9 of 13 Old 12-22-2008, 10:48 AM

Have you tried pilates? I have found pilates to be the best thing around in transforming post-baby abs (when I do it!). As for the rude comments, a friend of mine once advised me to respond, "I'm not pregnant--I have a large tumor." The current Oprah magazine has a funny article about these clueless comments. Sometimes all you can do is laugh!
#10 of 13 Old 12-23-2008, 07:41 AM

Get yourself a Callanetics dvd. Seriously Callan Pickney kicks ass. I've done 7 hours of the 10 years younger in 10 hours dvd. I haven't lost any weight but my clothes fit better and everything is getting so much more toned, ESP my core. It really looks like I can lose this baby tire if I continue these exercises for a few more months.
#11 of 13 Old 12-23-2008, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Let's see... I don't think it's so much a weight loss issue. I weigh 135 this morning, which is what I weighed when I got married. The last time I weighed less than 130 was 7-8 years ago after having the flu and I looked emaciated. I wouldn't want to lost more than 3-4 additional pounds. It just seemed to be distributed differently now. I'm still bfing DD so maybe that it why I still have seemingly more fatty tissue around the middle. It is very loose, a lot of loose skin. Will it ever go away????

Sigh. I just have to figure out how to get toning exercises in every day without dying of boredom. It's more exciting to do it in front of a mirror, I find... and maybe I will dig out my old pilates workout videos and see if the kidlets will tolerate one for 20 min or so.

I try to blow off the comments, (which are not mean-spirited but just obtuse) but it still bugs me and frustrates me. I eat well/moderately, I exercise, I have good posture, so why is this such a challenge?
#12 of 13 Old 12-29-2008, 03:59 PM

I am in the same exact place as you! I am quite thin all over my body but my stomach honestly looks pregnant (like you, people think I'm pregnant as well ). I don't think it's a matter of weight loss or ab exercises because, well, I don't have any more weight to lose, and when I was doing a lot of working out and ab routines, it increased my muscle tone but my belly never really went away. I have been reading a lot about yeast and I am wondering if maybe that's my problem. I've also read that sometimes cleanses can help, which I will try when I'm done bfing to see if maybe that's my problem as well..
#13 of 13 Old 12-29-2008, 04:05 PM

Hey-
I'm a personal trainer, too, and I would tell you to focus on transverse abs, too...i.e. rotation. It strengthens your core and whittles your waistline.
Pilates is also a great option. Like you said, fitting it in when you can is what's most important.
It all comes down to calorie balance. But in your case, I would focus on the midsection, and cardio!!
Good Luck.

mama to Journey (1/07) Sequoia (1/07) and Camellia (7/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page