Dingos running in the new year! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2009, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
drjen. Wish we could help you somehow. I hope you get some rest soon.

mbelle, you figure that TM out? I'm paranoid now about mine.

I need to do strength exercises today. I figure I'll walk on the TM a little to warm up and just do my squats, planks, pushups, etc. I have not had time to add them after running so far this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2009, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
<insert tale of woe involving no babysitter, an incipient cold and sore throat, and more puke>

Maybe I'll run today during Sesame Street, though I'm seriously contemplating sending Mr Puke to daycare anyways.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:05 AM

Wendy-
Doctorjen-

What a time for both of you.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
Old 01-07-2009, 11:24 AM

We took a look at the mechanical stuff etc of the treadmill last night. I think we need a new motor. The new version of my treadmill has a lifetime warranty on the motor, so I'm going to call and see about my model. It's about 3 years old. Otherwise a new motor is about $150. At least it's better than buying a brand new mill.

Dr Jen...hugs!
Geo..hugs to you too!
Gaye..more hugs to you!

Atl dingos...I'm ok with either race! Hopefully my tm is fixed soon!

We are putting together a schedule this week. Next week, it will be full on homeschool schedule. This week we are doing what we can.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:34 AM

snowing here today. schools are closed and i'm not really that sure that my flight will go as planned.

however, i had a lovely walk with the boy and the dog this morning.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:56 AM

drjen and geo

drjen~There's a ton of RSV striking little ones around here. It's scary.

jooj~I'm TM paranoid too. I kept thinking mine was doing weird things today. I was trying to picture myself disassembling it like mbelle but I'm nowhere near that handy.

rr~5 miles of speedwork on the TM before work this morning. Have I mentioned I'm not a morning person? Fortunately I'm starting an official half mary training program this weekend--I do much better when I'm following a specific plan.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 01-07-2009, 12:07 PM

Mandy ~ Good luck with your flight!

DrJen ~ Hopefully some peaceful births await you.

Geo ~ Oh boy!

tjsmama ~ I'm glad the trainer set up worked for you and ds got a nap yesterday.

All this talk about trainers and biking and tris... I may have to set up my trainer today and ride for a little bit. I wanted to pop into a beginner spin class today at the Y but I am pretty sure it was canceled. I plan to call and check and if so.. to the trainer I go.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 01-07-2009, 12:09 PM

Well, my c-section rate is at least down to 50% now. Mama #2 birthed her baby at 4:53 am. Lately, I've had a lot of more standard obstetrical clients like this. Epidural at 3-4 cms, slept a few hours, woke up and pushed 15 minutes and birthed a nice 7 lb 13 oz boy over an intact perineum. She is raving how easy this having a baby thing is (which ought to at least offset some of the horrow stories people hear out there, but many of my first time mom epidural births don't turn out nearly so straight foward!) 6 January clients to go.

I only got about an hour and half of sleep - in a recliner, and then another 45 minutes or so at home. I hope I can round on all these patients fairly quickly and then sleep for a while. I think I'm going to see if my daycare provider can pick up my little one so I can get another hour or so before I have to get them ready for swim practice.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
RM inspired me to get on the treadmill today. She posted earlier that she had a sore throat so she threw in a lozenge and jumped on the 'mill. I figured if she could do it, so could I. I managed 3.5 miles. I felt like I was racing a 5k at about a 12 min pace, but I did it. Thanks RM!
awwww that's so sweet, I'm so that I inspired you! Thanks!!! Way to go getting your run in!!!! whoo hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
rr~5 miles of speedwork on the TM before work this morning. Have I mentioned I'm not a morning person? Fortunately I'm starting an official half mary training program this weekend--I do much better when I'm following a specific plan.
Ditto on the plan following !

RR: well, today has become an unofficial rest day as I burned the top of my right foot with boiling water yesterday. I was dumping water into the sink to drain pasta and it splashed back out of the sink and onto my leg and foot. Thank God for running shoes as it's a small portion of burn!! I must be getting back my hard core because I'm thinking of running barefoot on the TM in a day or two if I need to.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
We'd never be sick of you, Gaye . Post away! Cool that you can put your trainer in the livingroom. My DH would hemmorhage if I even suggested it. So I'm stuck in the garage, with no TV or DVD player. Wanna hear about bo-ring....

RM and Mommajb ~ I'd love to do the 10K and/or 15K training runs. RM, I drive right by your house on my way into Indy, so it would be great to carpool from there. It depends on where I am with my training, but I hope to run both in the 7:30-8:00min/mi area.

Sounds great. I'll let you know which I sign up for (I need to collect money so dh doesn't fall over with more race money in addition to needing new shoes). Leaning more toward the 15K in April to give me more time. I feel that the way my running has been going, your pace might be the same I"m shooting for.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Ouch RM.

Ok, what's the best strategy to convince your MIL to move in next door? Seriously, we need help that doesn't mind getting puked on occasionally.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:03 PM

DrJen wow- Hope you get some rest.

JayGee and Runningmama I am amazed at your pace or at least goal pace.

RR I'm looking for some feedback the streets are a little slushy I want to run outside but am terrified of slipping. I know I've run outside in these conditions but it's been a while. How do you determine if it's safe. I don't beleive there is much ice at this point.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
Ouch RM.

Ok, what's the best strategy to convince your MIL to move in next door? Seriously, we need help that doesn't mind getting puked on occasionally.
Do you really want her next door? LOL. There are some lovely places just down the street....

I feel your pain. Luckily my kids haven't been sick much this year.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 01-07-2009, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Honestly, mt MIL drives me batty for short visits. She talks non stop. Every action seems to deserve comment, and an extensive story about when her kids were little. However, it seems as though she does this to catch up on everything as quickly as possible. As the visit goes on, it gets easier. I honestly think I'd really enjoy having her nearby.

There are two houses for sale on the street (a 3rd looks like it will get put back on the market in a few weeks to months), but the condos around the corner would probably be better.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:53 PM

The kids and I keep picking out houses in the neighborhood for grandparents. Both sets drive me crazy for different reasons but the idea of having more people around that love me and my kiddos unconditionally is a good one. I also know they will need more help soon and I cannot provide that help long distance.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:01 PM

I would not want my MIL next door.. although she is very kind and generous sometimes it's too much so. She lives close enough - 20 miles away.

Geo ~ Would your MIL really consider moving?

I did some yoga this morning because I found some short segments on YogaToday. I did this morning one and this prenatal one right in front of my big window where I am watching big snowflakes fall.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:19 PM

Geo-the thought of having my MIL move next door sends a cold shudder down my spine. More power to ya if it would work out!

Jenlove-send some snow down this way. It's starting to look like yet another winter without any snow.

Lisa-Ouch! Sorry about your foot, but dude, barefoot running on the TM can result in some NASTY blisters! Be careful.

We had a weird zumba class this morning. It's so warm and humid here right now that the floors are moist and kind of oily and they can't mop it up. Everyone was slipping and sliding and we had to stop several times to determine if it was safe to continue. She had to tone down the workout (no jumping or big lunges) and it was kind of disappointing. It was good for me though b/c my knee was ginormous swollen this morning and she made taking it easy part of the class.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
Geo-the thought of having my MIL move next door sends a cold shudder down my spine. More power to ya if it would work out!
I would tell you this: I would certainly spend more time running!

Moving is on the table for my MIL, though she said she wouldn't make any decisions for at least a year after my FIL died. It's been nearly two years now, and she's been more or less forced into retirement from her job. She "gets" to work occasionally for them, which is how the company is getting around paying severance.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Atlanta dingos are so lucky to all be so close!
I actually met HBM here at MDC... we both kept posting about our 3 girls, who are practically the same ages, who did girl scouts and go to public school... so HBM invited me to meet her at the park to play, LOL. I knew MB from LLL 6-7 years ago.

Quote:
ATL girls-I could go either way race wise. I'm not so sure my time would make a difference with my number anyway.
doesn't *any* time matter? I know I will not have a sub 55 time, but for some reason,I thought that having any race time got you out of groups 7, 8, and 9?? but it's been 9 years since I ran it......

[QUOTE=tjsmama;12929924. He says that he just feels like there might be someone better out there for both of us. Well, maybe that's true. [/QUOTE]
Ok, that sucks! Dh and I are of the belief that there isn;t any such thing as *ONE* person for each of us. We both believe that if we had not met, we each woudl have been perfectly as happy with someone else. But we do love each other, and we just deal with the BS that life throes at us, and you get good adn bad times. And, the grass is always greener on the other side.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnmama View Post
Gigi - sounds so tempting to meet up, but with 8:30 am starts and dinners each night I think I'll be sticking to the jogging trail at the resort or the gym.

ATL ladies - do i need running tights or will I be okay in shorts and long sleeves for an AM run? Thursday and Friday mornings...
no prob. I think you need tights, it's getting cold here!!

Quote:
It's starting to look like yet another winter without any snow.
Next Thurs.... go get your milk and bread now!!!

DrJen, what a tough few days. glad your C % is down to 50!!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post

I know-I was so excited when I saw that yesterday, but this morning the forecast just showed sun on Wednesday and Thursday.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
I remember when I lived in IL that the bread and milk would be all sold out if a storm was *possibly* on its way. It would be really annoying when I'd be out for my regular weekly shopping trip and not be able to get something.

Quote:
Jenlove-send some snow down this way. It's starting to look like yet another winter without any snow.

We had a weird zumba class this morning. It's so warm and humid here right now that the floors are moist and kind of oily and they can't mop it up. Everyone was slipping and sliding and we had to stop several times to determine if it was safe to continue. She had to tone down the workout (no jumping or big lunges) and it was kind of disappointing. It was good for me though b/c my knee was ginormous swollen this morning and she made taking it easy part of the class.
I think we can spare you a few inches. :

Wow, that is a weird class. So strange for me to think it's that humid somewhere right now when I'm buried in white. Glad it was an easy class for you and the knee though.

I'm off to lunch with DH and his parents at a little crunchy place called the Blue Bike Burrito. I am hoping they have their homemade chili. :

Old 01-07-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:

Lisa-Ouch! Sorry about your foot, but dude, barefoot running on the TM can result in some NASTY blisters! Be careful.
do you have info that I need about barefoot TM running? Do you all think I could run with shoes if I just bandaged it up real good?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:05 PM

Just a life experience. Won't make that mistake again. I would bandage with something moist to prevent sticking. We had some awesome ointment for Jojo's burns last year and nothing stuck to that stuff.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:10 PM

HBM~you've done it?! How long did you run before you knew it would be bad? Just curious. and what made you run barefoot?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

I run in socks on the treadmill sometimes. I go a bit slower than I would in shoes, but I find that I don't have some of the joint ache I do otherwise. No blister problems. The socks, however, end up NASTY.

Ready for irony?

We don't have enough expenses to use up all my 2008 medical FSA money. We were too healthy last year.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:17 PM

Yeah, I didn't run very far, but got blisters on the balls of my feet. It was several years ago and I tried it b/c my shoes were wet. :

Old 01-07-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
I run in socks on the treadmill sometimes. I go a bit slower than I would in shoes, but I find that I don't have some of the joint ache I do otherwise. No blister problems. The socks, however, end up NASTY.

Ready for irony?

We don't have enough expenses to use up all my 2008 medical FSA money. We were too healthy last year.
new glasses? buy 'scrips in advance (albuterol?)?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, but since we didn't total it up until after the first of the year, we can't incur any new 2008 expenses. Argh.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:42 PM

Four miles to report. The streets were fine. Had a great run, I am figuring out the Garmin so far I really like it.

Lisa-stinks about your foot. It drives me crazy when an injury hits right when you are in a good running groove.

I'm off to be Art Mom.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:30 PM

Big giant for Wendy and Jen. So much on both of your plates right now. And an extra for Gaye too.

Ouch, Lisa. Burned foot? Yikes! The 15K sounds perfect. Running in April, ahhhh! I'll talk to my DH about the date and $$ and see if I can work it into the schedule.

I had hoped to get to the Y around 9:30 this morning for a good hour of running, but the world conspired against me (actually it was my DDs!) and I ended up with 30 minutes on the elliptical. DH is going away from Thursday-Sunday, so I'm not sure what kind of exercise I'll get for the next 4 days. Snowing here now too...

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)

User Tag List