Dingos running in the new year! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HBM..wonder what is up with your knee?!

I got all the Christmas decorations boxed and put away. We don't have that many and it still took an hour! Traipsed up and down the stairs who knows how many time! Good workout!

grnmtnmam...hope you have fun down here! I have lots of family right in that area, so if you have any questions let me know! You can run right through the equestrian center and right into the neighborhood. Lot's of runners and walkers on that road once you get past the gate.

Sparkle!..hope you start feeling UP soon and that your PT goes well!

jo and towson..good for you and your tm's on the 3 and 5.5 accomplished today!

I will be working out after lunch today, because we have dinner guest tonight so I won't have time.

I made some gluten free bread last night and it was so good! I used a mix from Pamela's brand.
#362 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 01:44 PM

Hallelujah-AF is here! : A week late and with some nausea, but here nonetheless. Dh is have the big V tomorrow. I'm still kind of sad about it, but this has been a gentle reminder that really, we're done.

B1-Arthritis, huh? I'm glad she thinks you can still run.

Jess-:

Kerc-We need to restock the pantry and freezer. I think the holidays brought on a lot of those yikes-throw something together meals.

Poppy- about the profile pic!

Gaye-I'm jealous of the indoor gym for ds. I wish we had something like that here.

Ashcav-How's the new job going?

Jenlove-You are going to be the fittest brand new mama!

Jo-Way to go on your run!

Mandy-I hope you got something yummy to eat!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#363 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 02:35 PM

Ack so many injuries and : so much great training and dedication both happening here.

HBM, is the knee old or new pain? And : for Aunt FLo. I kkow we should be done but the big V is so permanent. I am a bit awed at people making the decision and following through right now.

Balancin1 - did she say more about the arthritis? Is it likely in a pretty stable level? What did she say you have to look forward to?

JenLove, I have a feeling tha tif we had been prebnant at the same time I would have been very jealous of your workout ethic. I have good intentions but I let morning sickness and other discomforts deter me. That and I tend to gain tons and tons when I am carrying a boy.

I am heating all the leftovers for lunch so we can start anew. I think we are having waffles for dinner tonight as I have cooked the fridge down this week. Then, after our little snowfall I will head to the store to restock if anything is left.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#364 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
JenLove, I have a feeling tha tif we had been prebnant at the same time I would have been very jealous of your workout ethic. I have good intentions but I let morning sickness and other discomforts deter me. That and I tend to gain tons and tons when I am carrying a boy.
I was pretty blessed with this pregnancy. Only some sicky feelings, and I notice I only feel really sore and icky when I go a few days without working out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
Hallelujah-AF is here! : A week late and with some nausea, but here nonetheless. Dh is have the big V tomorrow. I'm still kind of sad about it, but this has been a gentle reminder that really, we're done.

Jenlove-You are going to be the fittest brand new mama!
Congrats on AF! : We do need someone to add to the preggo Dingo list though. Come February it'll be empty!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
i got up early to send dh off to a trade show in vegas this morning, so i decided to hit the tm. i needed to put in the 4 miles i skipped yesterday :but was not feeling it at all so i hopped off.

i have an ortho doc appt at 10:30. will see what he says and then hit the pavement outside after.

let's not talk about how i was swooning a bit over his profile photo....until i realized it's actually the actor from mad men...:
I hope you get a run in once you see the ortho. Let us know how it goes!

about the profile pic

DH is out skiing with his friend, so I went out and got some filler groceries for the week. Now I'm home and had some lunch... cranking the music and going to do some cleaning.

Btw, if anyone wants to help me make a decision about what to bring to a potluck visit this thread. :

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#365 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
A
HBM, is the knee old or new pain?
It's new and it's not even pain. Just stiff and swollen. I had surgery on that knee nearly 20 years ago, but had a full recovery. I started after running giant hills the other day.

#366 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 03:11 PM

HBM..have you ever tried Zyflamend?
#367 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 03:15 PM

No, what's that?

#368 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 03:15 PM

HBM, how strange about the knee. I wonder what could be causing the inflammation. Glad AF arrived, and best of luck and a bag of frozen peas for your DH !

B1 ~ I have arthritis in my left knee, diagnosed by MRI. It gives me no trouble at all, unless the weather is about to get stormy. BUT, it used to hurt all the time. The following things helped enormously ~ cut gluten and sugar out of my diet (both inflammatory), lost weight, run on trails rather than pavement, and go to the chiropractor every month to have my lower body adjusted. All that keeps any pain I may have to a bare minimum. Best of luck to you .

JenLove ~ I am also in awe of your pregnancy workout ethic. I spend the first 16 weeks of pregnancy laying on the bathroom floor trying not to puke. Good times.

School was delayed 2 hours again this morning, so DDs preschool was cancelled. Rather than go to the Y (as I should have , we went to a friend's house so our kids could play all morning. Much more fun!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#369 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 03:19 PM

http://www.newchapter.com/products/zyflamend

It helps with inflammation. It works on my hands and wrists when they get bad. Sometimes just for fun I combine it with Advil!
They are kind of expensive. I could send you some to see if they help you.
#370 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 03:33 PM

I have a little time.... to talk more about me :

So we are applying to 5 hospitals in the state. On the upside, our year here has served to confirm for us how well we fit in our adopted home of nm. I was just emailing with a friend who moved back to wa last spring to be closer to family, and she was describing all the things about A that she misses, and those are the things that I have been appreciating from a distance. I said ' yeah, but its so ugly', and she said 'but if it had water, or was not ugly, it would be LA. Ugliness is its best feature, it keeps the hoardes away', so now I even appreciate that

We feel glad to have the chance to choose the place, rather than end up there as we sort of felt we were (even though we liked it ). Now, the 2 hospitals we most want to work in; well, one is NEVER full, always understaffed..... except for now. They are really bummed b/c they want dh back (he did residency there) and said they will try to work something out. The other place, which is sort of a fantasy idea for me (never though dh would go for it - hospital too small and doesnt have the technology he is doing his fellowship to use), he propositioned and notonly were they psyched on him, but they just got that technology .... but they just hired someone 2 weeks ago! There are 3 more hospitals to hear from, and I know something will work with the 5, so Im not stressed about that (although it may not be what dh wanted), but it makes me anxious nonetheless, like being so close to that fantasy place. Regardless, I know we will end up where we should, I just hope its where I want

Meanwhile, I am writing all the proposals and letters for dh to all these hospitals, b/c he is not the best writer. He struggles to get his ideas out, and then they arent so clearly stated. So he has taken to writing drafts that I think are pretty lazy b/x he knows I will write them properly.

As for ds, he is so ornery. I want to say, he is such a boy, but Im sure there are girls like this too. He is just so oppositional; he says no, or goes the other way, or does the exact opposite of what you have just talked about, and then when he is disciplined, he throws a huge fit, even though we have been through it before (like every day) and he has been warned and the drill is always the same. Its like he's making his life more difficult (and mine of course) for what!? I know its a growing thing - dd1 was more challenging between 3-5 too, and noticeably more enjoyable to be with now - but grrr, its going to be a long, exasperating year. Its like, I can literally explain somehting to him, succinctly, clearly, with his full attention, and then he turns around and does it anyway! Yesterday, he got in trouble (sitting on the step) for calling me a name, and after that was done, he sat back down at the table and called ma another name, and then paused and said "...ooops" It was pretty funny. I think its b/c he's a sagittarius and Im pisces. He's fire and Im water I swear, his head is so hard I think I need a chisel to get through.

Then I was at Tae Kwon Do the other night - started the kids this week, never done it before - and once again felt like the crunchy hippy outsider, and boy am I tired of that. There were 16 kids all suited up in their white karate outfits, and then my kids, shaggy, long haired, ds with his bright red and orange tye-dye... sigh. And then ds got hit in the face and had a bloody nose and was running through the gym bleeding all over and Im trying to hold his nose while I hold dd2 with the other arm, and Im feeling like the shaggy, tye-dyed bleeding family get me back to where the hippies are

Have I talked enough yet As for PT, our insurance doesnt even cover well baby visits!! Can you believe it! So Ill have to check about coverage. But I did make my first appt for monday.

Oh, and my new workout clothes came today, and I them, except I think they are a little too loose. Cant decide. Ill let you know, as Im sure you are all holding your breaths!

Back later for personals

(BTW, my keyboard spacer is broken, so if I write a lot of words strung together, thats why.....)

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#371 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 03:40 PM

:
Your DH is a doctor, and his insurance doesn't even cover standardly accepted well baby visits??? That's ironic! And kind of ridiculous, too! I'm glad it sounds like you'll end up back where you want to be, one way or another...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#372 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 03:57 PM

I ran 3 miles today on the TM at the gym. woo hoo. I haven't run that far not in a race since college. warm up, run and cool down took about 40 minutes, about 3.5 miles total. My HR at 5MPH was much lower than it used to be 8 months ago. I was hovering right around 160 for a long time, so that's good. About 30 minutes (and 350 calories) into it, I felt like I really wanted to stop. I drank my "recovery drink" (14oz water, 4oz juice, sea salt), and I felt much bettter and was able to finish. Week 1 of Hal Higdons 10K plan is complete, yay!

Toe blisters, I now remember that I get blisters on my toes when running. Today it's just one foot, on my 2nd toe where my 2nd toe rubs my big toe. In the past, wearing too small shoes was part. I think these shoes are okay, as they are my normal 1 size up Asics. Cotton socks? I do have some synthetic ones, but I hate the way they feel. What else could help prevent? TIA

I'm really proud of myself :

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#373 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 04:03 PM

Gigi-get yourself some good wool socks. I like SmartWool brand. Also, rub BodyGlide or something similar between your toes to prevent rubbing. And Woo Hoo on your run! :

#374 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 04:21 PM

I need to vent about my girls .

They NEED an afternoon nap so badly. They are tired, fighting, laying on the floor, sucking thumbs, whining. It's obvious. So, every day we lay down, I fall promptly asleep and about 10 minutes later, they are jumping all over me and the bed telling me that they can't sleep and it's time to get up and play. The maddening part is that DH does the SAME EXACT routine with them on weekends, and they are both out like a light for the next 2-3 hours.

Of course, during the week when we have gymnastics in the evening, or some other event, they're too exhausted to enjoy, but on the weekends, when I want them in bed early, they are wide awake until 9:30pm.

Can you tell we're having another failed nap today? ARGH!

#375 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
It's new and it's not even pain. Just stiff and swollen. I had surgery on that knee nearly 20 years ago, but had a full recovery. I started after running giant hills the other day.
Those hills on which you were racing against cars and wining?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
HBM, how strange about the knee. I wonder what could be causing the inflammation. Glad AF arrived, and best of luck and a bag of frozen peas for your DH !

B1 ~ I have arthritis in my left knee, diagnosed by MRI. It gives me no trouble at all, unless the weather is about to get stormy. BUT, it used to hurt all the time. The following things helped enormously ~ cut gluten and sugar out of my diet (both inflammatory), lost weight, run on trails rather than pavement, and go to the chiropractor every month to have my lower body adjusted. All that keeps any pain I may have to a bare minimum. Best of luck to you .
Two hour delay here and no calls asking me to babysit. :
Sometimes consistent yoga can keep me away from the chiro but as he always tells me I wait too long perhaps I should make regular appointments. You make me think Jaygee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post
I have a little time.... to talk more about me :

Have I talked enough yet As for PT, our insurance doesnt even cover well baby visits!! Can you believe it! So Ill have to check about coverage. But I did make my first appt for monday.

Oh, and my new workout clothes came today, and I them, except I think they are a little too loose. Cant decide. Ill let you know, as Im sure you are all holding your breaths!

Back later for personals

(BTW, my keyboard spacer is broken, so if I write a lot of words strung together, thats why.....)
a few thoughts here:

I am confused I thought you were in NM and didn't like it? Now I see you aren't as that is where you left your scoby? Set me straight.
I often feel like mama duck to a very odd family. Embrace it and be glad you don't fit in. Think of all it entails.
I too am waiting for new clothes - from Sierra TP - those running skirts were less than $9! I cannot believe I am a small so I always order small and med and send half back.

Way to go on the running CathToria! I like my smartwool running socks. A double bonus of wool all you cloth diaperers know is that it is antibacterial to a certain extent so the socks don't smell so bad.

I blame all my typos on a wonky keyboard and nak.

:The ath trainer will see me tomorrow.:

JayGee, on the nap. Yesterday I got ds down, got out my yoga mat and VHS tape . I was all set to go when a neighbor dropped in. I want to be friendly and normally I would be really excited. Here comes the but; her kids woke my little guy and I didn't get to do yoga and well, : Plus making dinner with cranky kids around is the pits. We had gymnastics last night, everyone finally slept before 10pm. Now the girls are cleaning their room so we can do shrinky dinks. Do you think baking plastics is a healthy idea?

#376 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 04:48 PM

back from the ortho and he says i have tarsal tunnel syndrome in my right foot. he gave me a prescrip for the fancy orthotics but says to try the off the shelf ones first - an arch support and heel wedge, i think.

he did spend a lot of time asking me questions and looking me over thoroughly, although he is....up there in years. i never know whether to feel relieved because someone likely nearing retirement is wise and has seen it all but maybe also not as up to date on new methods, etc. he was crusty and did not have the best bedside manner but i'm ok with that if he makes me feel better!

ultimately he showed me what a normal stance looks like and oh my! i am way off, ladies. do you remember when i said that the woman who sold me my shoes said my tibia bones (?) point inward a lot when i bend my knees? yeah. the ortho put them in the right place and i am not even close.

so...inserts it is, i guess. only for the right foot though.

i won't get them tomorrow but i am so freaked about missing even one day of my training schedule that i think i will go for a brisk 2 mile walk on the tm and then run tomorrow after i have the inserts.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#377 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 05:02 PM

NAKing a squirmy worm...

poppy, sounds like you have a good plan. i hope the orthotics help. i'm with you on the age of the dr. dilemma.

mommajb, hopefully baking plastic is no worse than ironing (we do fuse beads)

gigi, on the run!

jaygee, sending nap vibes, but no advice b/c dd was not a great napper.

hbm, i hope the knee swelling is gone soon, and a 2nd bag of peas for your dh. we're not ready for that decision here. well, dh probably is, i'm less certain.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#378 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 05:07 PM

Hey y'all-check it out: My Jojo is a star!

#379 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Hey y'all-check it out: My Jojo is a star!
Oh my goodness! She's just adorable and those cheeks are scrumptious !

#380 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 05:32 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1 View Post
Forgive my dorkdom but here's the list so far of Mini plans:
mommajb: staying w/fam
bec: hotel
JayGee: driving up
RM: in town
drjen:
bbm:
geo:
b1: hotel
I'll keep a file and at some point collect cell phone numbers or something so we can all hook up in person. I am so excited for this and so glad to be doing it.

Best get to work...
I love that there are other people to share my dorkiness with! Thank you for making this list!

I had my hernia repair yesterday (and came home to 6 more pages of dingo chat that I don't have a prayer of catching up on!). It went very well, I'm hobbling around still, but feel like I'm doing well.

I brought my Runner's World with me to keep me occupied while waiting, and the Pre-op nurse that was putting my IV in commented that she wants to run the Milwaukee marathon this fall. So, of course, we got to geek out on running talk, with the other nurses and doctor's all rolling their eyes at it! She's hoping to qualify for Boston at this race. Then, one of the surgical nurses turned out to be another mom from my AP group! I don't see her often, but enough to know her and be friendly. It was, actually, really relieving having someone in the OR that I knew that knew me as more than "hernia patient".

I'm a little loopy on Vicodin, but am starting to need it a little less often (good thing). I hope to be on the mend enough to be able to drive the kids to and from their school activities next week.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#381 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 05:41 PM

cathtoria~'m proud of you too! You're awesome!!

hbm~JoJo's a peach! Too cute!

I've been analyzing half mary training plans and I think I'm going to go with the Higdon intermediate one. Oh, I don't know though, I like Cool Runnning too. (Although I'd have to stick with beginner on that one for sure!) Decisions, decisions.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#382 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 06:01 PM

mommajb - I get confused about where people are too; who's in Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan, oh wait, and then Illinois We're on the east coast this academic year. Im sorry you missed yoga. Im not good at having my *plans* thwarted, but you seem to be a much more graceful woman than I Good vibes at the athletic trainer

Poppy - that sounds very encouraging! Nothing insurmountable! Its so funny how if a doctor recommends something 'drastic' we think they are too rash, and if they are conservative we think they are old school I thought mine was a little conservative - I think I just want all my malfunctioning body parts to be replaced by polycarb and get on with my life

Jaygee - ugh on the nap situation!

tjs - I know! Insurance pays for vaccinations but not the weighing and head measuring and asking questions about whether she transfers blocks from one hand to the other. We're going to forego any other pediatric appts until we get different insurance at his next job. WTG on the track. Take it easy!

Off to tae kwon do. No bleeding today please ...

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#383 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 06:44 PM

ct~Congrats on your run!

jaygee~I forgot to mention that while DS happily downed the lentils (they really ARE good), he made me pick out the red beans that were in there. I convinced him that the "little beans" couldn't be picked out, but alas, the "big beans" had to go. So, he ate the whole package, except for the red beans which I picked out for him and ate. I hate to start a precedent, but if it gets the kid to eat stuff besides hot dogs and mac n' cheese, I'll suck it up, I guess!

bec~Sending you and quick healing :

poppy~I'm so glad you got an answer and that it seems like it will be fairly reasonable to manage. And, ahem, not to toot my own horn here, but I believe I recommended orthotics... : and It sounds like he knew what he was talking about and did a thorough exam, which is fantastic. Age doesn't matter much, as long as they keep themselves up on the latest info and techniques! And I'll tell ya, my hand surgeon has a terrible bedside manner, but he's the only doc I would even remotely consider letting near my hands/wrists with a scalpel! (I've had two wrist surgeries...)

We spent 3 hours at the indoor gym this morning. I feel vaguely guilty about it considering it was 60 and beautiful outside, but man, do I love that place! Tons of stuff for DS to play on/with, a coffee bar and wireless internet for me. They also sell sandwiches and snacks, which is nice. I like being able to let DS go run wild while I catch up on things that I need to get done on my computer, and he's in sight pretty much the whole time (there's a half-wall between the play area and the lounge area that has tables and chairs). They're actually opening one in my neighborhood next month and I can't wait!

I was pondering setting up the trainer this afternoon and riding my bike in the living room, but I think I'm going to take a rest day instead. My hamstrings are a little sore from track yesterday, and my knee wasn't too thrilled about the bouncing I did with DS in the jumpy castle. I think I'll just work on my RockBand guitar technique instead. :

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#384 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
so...inserts it is, i guess. only for the right foot though.

i won't get them tomorrow but i am so freaked about missing even one day of my training schedule that i think i will go for a brisk 2 mile walk on the tm and then run tomorrow after i have the inserts.
Just a thought: work up to doing the full-on workout in the orthotics/inserts/whatever. Your legs will feel the difference. Or at least my semi-whiney dh did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

Of course, during the week when we have gymnastics in the evening, or some other event, they're too exhausted to enjoy, but on the weekends, when I want them in bed early, they are wide awake until 9:30pm.
You just described my Leah. When we have something going on at night I enforce quiet time. It means you take books or dolls (or other quiet toy) to your designated spot on the couch (or loveseat) or your bed and you have an hour where you don't talk during play. It works bestfor me to separate my girls at quiet time so one is in the girls' room and one is on the couch. Usually when we're doing quiet time Leah will fall asleep about 45 minutes into it.
Quote:
Gigi-get yourself some good wool socks. I like SmartWool brand. Also, rub BodyGlide or something similar between your toes to prevent rubbing. And Woo Hoo on your run! :
Ditto smartwool socks. They aren't the big, thick wool socks of our youth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
:
Your DH is a doctor, and his insurance doesn't even cover standardly accepted well baby visits??? That's ironic! And kind of ridiculous, too! I'm glad it sounds like you'll end up back where you want to be, one way or another...
No fricking kidding. I mean seriously....

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#385 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 08:27 PM

poppy - I am all for a diagnosis. This way you know how to proceed. I hope the orthotics do the job. I've only just begun to read it but your talk about stance reminds me of ChiRunning talk. (I can't wait for the kids to go to bed so I can read another 4 pages before I too fall asleep.)

jaygee - I don't mean to try to solve or always compare it just comes out tht way. I hope your girls at least settled in for a video later. I think I need the nap more than my kiddos ever did.

paige - jojo is adorable!

bec - I hope your recovery is speedy and gentle :

gaye - keep tooting that horn and I'll help. Sometimes it is so hard to get the recognition we deserve.

#386 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 08:29 PM

kerc - can girls actually play without talking? I do quiet time and I have to separate everybody and the rule is that they have to be quiet enough I can't hear them. I think my girls even talk in their sleep.

#387 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 08:35 PM

HBM, cute pic of JoJo. Your knee, could it have been the super slippery zumba class?

naps, I got so tired of wasting my time trying to get kids to nap, that in teh afternoon, I put on a video... and 9/10 times she will fall asleep on the sofa.. this was from 22m to 3, I actually don't like her to nap now

I'll check out the wool socks, I'm familiar with that brand though I've never looked at running specific wool socks. I'm a huge fan of wool (from my CDing days!)

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#388 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post
I think I just want all my malfunctioning body parts to be replaced by polycarb and get on with my life

sparkle - as an aside, i bought my shoes from transsports, like you said, but the orthotic scrip pad today has LaFoot written all over it! ah well, i guess i'll go see for myself what they're about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
poppy~I'm so glad you got an answer and that it seems like it will be fairly reasonable to manage. And, ahem, not to toot my own horn here, but I believe I recommended orthotics... : and It sounds like he knew what he was talking about and did a thorough exam, which is fantastic. Age doesn't matter much, as long as they keep themselves up on the latest info and techniques! And I'll tell ya, my hand surgeon has a terrible bedside manner, but he's the only doc I would even remotely consider letting near my hands/wrists with a scalpel! (I've had two wrist surgeries...
yes you did! and i also had a lot of other good advice a while back from megs, mothercat, mommajb etc. so THANK YOU ALL! i didn't mention a word of what i thought it might be...and finally at the end when the words 'tarsal tunnel syndrome...' came out of his mouth i felt like saying 'AHA!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
Just a thought: work up to doing the full-on workout in the orthotics/inserts/whatever. Your legs will feel the difference. Or at least my semi-whiney dh did.
ooh, good call. thanks!

Quote:
poppy - I am all for a diagnosis. This way you know how to proceed. I hope the orthotics do the job. I've only just begun to read it but your talk about stance reminds me of ChiRunning talk. (I can't wait for the kids to go to bed so I can read another 4 pages before I too fall asleep.)
i think i need that book. my cousin works for new balance and he told me about chi running a year ago or so, and it sounded intriguing to me then. i just want to be biomechanically efficient - is that so much to ask?

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#389 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
kerc - can girls actually play without talking? I do quiet time and I have to separate everybody and the rule is that they have to be quiet enough I can't hear them. I think my girls even talk in their sleep.
My girls talk non-stop. They even narrate what they're doing. "She picked up her plate and scraped it into the trash. Then she put the plate in the sink and rinsed it off. Then she joyfully went back to playing." It never stops. My middle on is definitely a sleep talker, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria View Post
HBM, cute pic of JoJo. Your knee, could it have been the super slippery zumba class?
No, it started before that class. It just does this every once in a while. It's annoying. I got my Smartwool socks at Phidippides in Sandy Springs. I think they were $11 and worth every cent.

Jaygee-Jojo hasn't napped at all since before Christmas. Right around her 2nd birthday, she started giving up a couple of naps a week, gradually getting to taking one or two a week and now none at all. : It's killing me. She is just a busy kid that I really *need* that break from her. I do put her in her room for quiet time, but it usually doesn't last for very long. She is also waking up 4-5 times a night (she's TWO!) and getting up for good around 5:30 every morning. She is just not a sleeper. John and I are both exhausted and at the end of our ropes, especially with the night waking thing. She will go right back to sleep, but only if one of us goes in there and tucks her back in. :

#390 of 1351 Old 01-08-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
My girls talk non-stop. They even narrate what they're doing. "She picked up her plate and scraped it into the trash. Then she put the plate in the sink and rinsed it off. Then she joyfully went back to playing."

HBM I think of you a lot when you used to talk about how Jojo wouldn't sleep anywhere but on you. I now have one of those. I can count on two hands the number of naps he's had when he wasn't touching anyone - and all but one or two of those lasted less than an hour. We're dealing with it OK, but I don't know if we should be trying harder to get him to nap on his own. He also is one who, if he wakes up after 10 mins. of sleep, will consider that a nap - so I'm reluctant to try to put him down because in the end it's more important that he get a good nap.

Anyway, so sorry to hear of Jojo's no-napping ways. If nothing else, I hope you get some sleep soon!

sparkletruck, here's hoping for a non-bloody TKD class tonight.

Must go do some more work.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page