Dingos running in the new year! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

tjsmama and mothercat ~ what does ChiRunning say about a very short stride? I run, VERY short (like my running group makes fun of me, short). I sometimes wonder if that contribues to my occasional knee and hip issues. All my attempts to lengthen the stride just feel "wrong" though. Maybe I should just get the book !
I haven't gotten to that in the book, but I think his point is the stride doesn't matter as much as the foot strike. It should be mid foot. There is a neat picture of the sandbox exercise, which can also be done in snow. The point is to walk/run as you normally do and look at the impression you leave on the surface. Is it a crater where you are pushing off hard with the ball/toes of your foot, or is it a neat imprint of your shoe evenly distributed? He recommends a cadence of 80-90, pretty similar to the cadence when cycling.
Both Chi Running and TI for swimming recommend the same cadence and have sport specific counters you can buy. The alternative is to use music which has a beat that matches the cadence.

tjsmama, hopefully by now you are on your way to the mountain.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#482 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 12:43 PM

Gaye. I'm so sorry about this. About the other woman, when my parents divorced, my mom had it written into their divorce agreement that we were not allowed any overnights with my dad and any woman unless they were married. From what I understand, this is still done and somewhat common. It might help a little bit.

Nic-Wow! Those are some big life changes coming your way.

Mamabeth-Way to go on 18!

I finally tried the knee yesterday with some zumba and it did OK. We're skipping church this morning b/c Jojo decided to eat Icy/Hot this morning and Poison Control told us to keep an eye on her for the next few hours b/c she might puke. Lovely. :

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#483 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

We are also considering a bunch of different professional/location options. Among them, at the moment highest on the list, is making aliyah next summer (moving to Israel). Something I've always wanted but at this juncture might be a good move also for dh professionally. I have a lot of family there, but my parents are going to have a fit.
Nic, sorry you will be facing this major disruption in your lives, but living in Israel, and the aliyah. Wow. I'm assuming you know the song "Return Again", and now you get to live it. Blessings on the journey and if you go, I hope all goes smoothly.

#484 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 12:53 PM

HBM, how much did she eat? I'm surprised the first taste didn't totally put her off eating any more.

It finally stopped snowing here and we got a little over 12 inches. Luckily it came down slow and steady with only a little blowing and drifting. The road crews have been able to keep up pretty well, so things aren't too bad. I've had the dogs out and the little one (cocker/beagle) is barely clearing the snow, but having a really good time playing in it. She buries her whole head looking for the grass.
Hoar frost covering everything this morning and with little traffic, it is very, very quiet.

Hope everyone is having a nice day.

#485 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 01:22 PM

i found out that our nearest high school's track is open to the public on weekends! so...i will be heading there for my "long" run this morning (6)...is it too much to do on a track? i am just looking forward to flat ground. i'm worried it will be as boring as a treadmill...but going to try anyway.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#486 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 01:25 PM
bec

I've been doing some chi running. I think the lean and the cadence are the most important, and stride length sort of follows naturally. I imagine, different people of different builds have different natural lengths.

I have noticed that I am a lot faster since starting to try to implement some of the techniques, so I figure that is something.

Gaye, I think Nic summed up my feelings about your son seeing the other woman perfectly.

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#487 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothercat View Post
Nic, sorry you will be facing this major disruption in your lives, but living in Israel, and the aliyah. Wow. I'm assuming you know the song "Return Again", and now you get to live it. Blessings on the journey and if you go, I hope all goes smoothly.
Thanks!

Moshav Band is the best.

Sometimes the door slammed shut lets you see the breeze coming through the opened window. I have wanted this since I was 11 years old, and, as hard as it will be, the anticipation takes my breath away.

The word "aliya" literally means to 'go up'. Moving to Israel is considered an ascent. But, like any climb, it can be difficult and challenging as well as exhilarating.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#488 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post

Sometimes the door slammed shut lets you see the breeze coming through the opened window. I have wanted this since I was 11 years old, and, as hard as it will be, the anticipation takes my breath away.
what a wonderful saying! and i am so happy for you to have some positive outcome of an undoubtedly difficult situation.

gaye - babe, i don't even know what to say except that we're throwing all the dingo love we can muster towards you. i can't wait for this tough, rocky period to be over so you can see something good on the other side, as scary as that seems right now.

#489 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towsonmama View Post
Is anybody else having trouble keeping up with dailymile?
I've been trying to post my workouts there. I did figure out how to back/change the date, so as long as I log in evry few days, I can update 2-3 workouts at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothercat View Post
Yes, being with his dad would be nice, but how the heck is he supposed to understand the relationship between about to be exH and his girlfriend. .
ITA, I think ds should not be introduced to the current piece of ass until there are plans for marriage, as in a ring and a date. Gaye I'm so sorry you are going through this. totally sucks. Does your dh realize that there is more to a marriage than great crosstraining???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady View Post
I ChiRunning .
Who else is doing this? . :
I just got teh book on tape. I'm 1/4 through it, but I have not been paying 100% attention. I have tried leaning, and when somethign feels off, I have been trying to think "oh, I feel something" not "ouch, that hurts", and then I try to make an adjustment to fix it. I got through 3 TM miles with suprisingly zero aftersoreness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy View Post
Gaye. I'm so sorry about this. About the other woman, when my parents divorced, my mom had it written into their divorce agreement that we were not allowed any overnights with my dad and any woman unless they were married. From what I understand, this is still done and somewhat common. It might help a little bit.

Jojo decided to eat Icy/Hot this morning and Poison Control told us to keep an eye on her for the next few hours b/c she might puke. Lovely. :
Yes Gaye, that sounds ideal
jojo, whatcha thinking???

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#490 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 04:00 PM

Gaye, I hope you are having a great day of skiing.

Nick, what an opportunity and positive view of things. I hope the effort involved is truly a labor of love bringing many good things to your family. Thanks for checking in and updating us.

I wonder it felt like to eat Icy Hot? :

I did sign up for daily mile but I am going to wait until I know I can run again to log my workouts. Yesterday was okay on the TM but I need a good week for so many reasons. Running really does relieve stress for me, especially when it isn't causing it.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#491 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 04:01 PM

Jojo's fine-no puke. I have no idea how much she ate, but I'm guessing it wasn't very much. She smelled like it for a long time, though.

I just got an email from the instructor of my zumba certification training class. This day is packed and I'm getting so nervous. A lot of the people attending are already fitness instructors and are probably really fit. I just know I'm going to be the biggest one there and I'm feeling really self-conscious about it. I'm wondering if I'm making a big mistake doing this. :

#492 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 04:14 PM

Gaye, I think Paige's advice sounds absolutely rational. It's time for you to find a good lawyer, I think. And you know what? You can do it, and it could be better than you ever imagined. We're here for you through it.

Nic--wow. It sounds like you and dh have had a lot to process of late. Like others here, I support you on the journey. The Holy Land is on my list of places to visit. I should like to imagine someday visiting you there. You certainly have the right outlook already in place.

HBM, icy hot??? Really?! That must have been some wintergreen-fresh breath.

I hit the TM for 9 and ended up doing 10--no lie!--at an average pace of 10:00 per mile, which is a total coup for me. : This is a major training milestone. If I can now maintain a schedule of weekly 10-mile LRs for the next 2 months, I will be strong for an excellent 16-week marathon training plan, AND I should be able to drop most of the weight I really need to lose in order to perform well and stay injury-free. I feel awesome.

Plady, thanks for posting the hat pic on FB. We are such dorks.
#493 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 04:43 PM

NO YOU CRAZY PAIGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU MUST GO!!!!!! YOU LOOK GREAT AND YOU LOVE ZUMBA AND YOU NEED TO DO THIS FOR ALL THE REAL MAMAS OUT THERE WHO WANT TO SHAKE THEIR BOOTIES TOO!

Did you hear me yelling all the way at your house? don't make me come over there!!!!!!

Whew. I had to post that first and then can post the rest. I am tempted to type more but I WON'T. And Jojo, I can only shake my head at that girl! she is a mess, but a cute one. love the bow pictures.

Thank you for the concern about my dark running. trust me, I will NEVER go alone in the dark on that trail. I would be scared out of my friggin mind. Even WITH RP it was still scary, obviously. We only did it that early bc I had the funeral and her ds had a basketball game she wanted to get to at the same time.

My bunion is really hurting today : totally embarassing but it's really the only thing that's sore! not sure what to do about it. it doesn't really both me while I'm running after I get warmed up.

Nic, that is a really lovely way to put it! Sounds like maybe Israel is the place for you guys in the future. I need to research the word "aliyah" in my Hebrew Bible....
#494 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 05:10 PM

Paige..fitness people are great group! Yes, there will be more obviously fit people there than the average public, but there are also plenty of fit people with various body types there as well. (That was what I remember from getting certified with AFAA and it's probably similar in other organizations.) It's a fun group of people who really care about health. It's really fun! Go and have fun!
#495 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

: How is a half (&full!) marathon running, zumba loving mama not fit?

2 hours at the gym with C. She's trying to get me to join and be her gym workout buddy. I prefer running and biking.
#496 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 05:47 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeth View Post
NO YOU CRAZY PAIGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU MUST GO!!!!!! YOU LOOK GREAT AND YOU LOVE ZUMBA AND YOU NEED TO DO THIS FOR ALL THE REAL MAMAS OUT THERE WHO WANT TO SHAKE THEIR BOOTIES TOO!
THIS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
And THIS!!!

Paige, I just know you will be a great zumba instructor. Don't let the possibilities of someone more fit keep you from living your life! You love Zumba! It's infectious! I want you to come teach here!

In nrr, trying to stay still motion: I finished one sock!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#497 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
:

Quote:
2 hours at the gym with C. She's trying to get me to join and be her gym workout buddy. I prefer running and biking.
Do they have a pool? Then you could be a triathlete buddy (to me, and mothercat, and Gaye, and Megs, and Gigi!) !

DH is home, phew. DD2 was a bear all morning, culminating in her laying in the middle of the hall at church, screaming at me, while people walked around (over) her. How mortifying. She's now getting a much needed nap with her Papa.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#498 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 06:21 PM

Paige, please don't think twice about the zumba training. Do it!!!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#499 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 06:23 PM

I've been doing elliptical all week, so I just decided to see what would happen if I jumped on the treadmill. It worked for .25 and then it completly broke! Absolutly nothing works. I will have to order a new motor.:
#500 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 06:38 PM

Atl Dingoes, has anyone signed up for a PTree qualifier yet? This one is on 3/14, 2 weeks after MB's mary (is that enough time?) 2 weeks before HBM's half. Want to do this one instead of teh one intown? Flat, qualifier, tech tees.... It looks like near NPoint, near where MB was almost attacked.... I mean where she did her LR yesterday :
http://www.jogforacause.com/

Oh, for teh PTree, is "the way" to get a number to use snail mail the day teh app comes out in teh AJC? or is it electronic now? I don;t want to miss out this year, so please LMK what I shoudl do to get a #. TY

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#501 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 07:11 PM

I know it doesn't snow (much) in Atlanta, but has anyone taken their kids to Snow Mountain?

I saw the article in our paper today. DH and I were talking about all our snow and how much fun we used to have taking the kids sledding. How cool that southern kids could have than same opportunity.

All you dingos doing Chi Running are making me so envious. I'm reading through the book, watching the videos, doing the form exercises, my Ipod is ready, but can't run for a few more weeks. The best I can do is increase walking time and add just a little bit of speed.

And, for the second time this afternoon, the cat fell off the back of my computer. Silly thing, he falls asleep and forgets to hang on.

#502 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 PM

HBM ~ You go for it girl! You love zumba!! Remember being "fit" doesn't mean fitting into a certain stereotype - being fit is about taking the time to improve your body through running monster mileage like you do and shaking your bootay at zumba!

mommabelle ~ Sorry about your TM.

Jo ~ : at that extra mile you did and at a 10 minute per mile pace. Woot!

poppy ~ How was your run on the track?

My day was perfect for what I needed. DH and I had breakfast together while we watched Surfer, Dude from Netflix. Then we took Lizzy for a walk (little over a mile), I finished my book this afternoon, took a long warm shower, and now I'm having a warm cup of mocha latte before making us some grub for dinner. Which I think will be followed up with another movie and lounging on the couch.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#503 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
JayGee, my stride is short too. And when I try to lengthen it, I get warning twinges.
You know, I'll have to go back and reread but I was thinking that he suggests shortening your stride in the beginning since the goal is to have your foot landing under you, not in front of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
i found out that our nearest high school's track is open to the public on weekends! so...i will be heading there for my "long" run this morning (6)...is it too much to do on a track? i am just looking forward to flat ground. i'm worried it will be as boring as a treadmill...but going to try anyway.
You know, it is more boring than being on a trail or road where the scenery changes but at least you've got real breeze in your face. I trained for the half I did on a track and it wasn't so bad, kind of a meditation. The part I found hard was remembering to hit my lap timer so I didn't lose track of what lap I was on.

Quote:
A lot of the people attending are already fitness instructors and are probably really fit. I just know I'm going to be the biggest one there and I'm feeling really self-conscious about it. I'm wondering if I'm making a big mistake doing this. :
So, everyone has already pointed out that there is no way you could be significantly less fit than anyone else there and I just want to second that, add YOU ARE A DINGO, WOMAN! And furthermore, I never trust skinny instructors ever since my skinny fat mother got a job at Bally's totally based on her skinniness. LAME. You on the other hand have PASSION for crying out loud. You get a ZUMBA HIGH that I can feel from here! There is no freaking way you should not be there. Front and center mama! Go! GO! GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post
Plady, thanks for posting the hat pic on FB. We are such dorks.
no prob. And to your rocking out on the TM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec View Post
Paige, I just know you will be a great zumba instructor. Don't let the possibilities of someone more fit keep you from living your life! You love Zumba! It's infectious! I want you to come teach here!
: Just in case I wasn't clear.

Bec - How are you feeling?

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#504 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 07:34 PM

I have been on the couch for 5 hours today, no joke, holding a sleeping/nursing DS. It truly has been nice but now I have to switch gears and get hormonally relaxed and unmotivated self to the gym before they close in 1.5 hours. Don't want to have to repeat week 1 again, I am getting mighty tired of 60 sec/90 sec.

Going to change now...

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#505 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 07:37 PM

well, that was a wash. it is such a beautiful day [70!] and i loved being on the track (surprisingly) but my right calf just would not shut up! and the shin. so i stopped at 1.5 miles after i realized i was starting to favor my left side. i stopped so that i could take out my heel wedges in case that was the problem but they are solidly in there and can't be removed! i think i might have been better off putting the superfeet in my old shoes and going for a "long" run.

so, i don't know. i don't want to injure myself but i also don't want to be a p--sy either [sorry, i SO never use that word, but ykwim]

i am giving myself a day of rest tomorrow and try and figure this out.

HBM - you crazy, mama! you should feel confident and good - you rock zumba regularly! go for it.

#506 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 07:40 PM

Go eksmom go!! I'm cheering for you!!

poppy ~ I am so sorry your run wasn't what you expected. Hopefully you can figure it all out and be putting in some major miles soon.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#507 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 07:49 PM

: Have I told you all lately how much you mean to me? You have made me feel so much better about this. When I told dh how I felt, his response was, "just don't think about it". : Y'all knew exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you.

I'm thinking maybe I was pregnant after all. I have been passing some clots and today passed a huge clot that looked different and floated in the toilet. Sorry-way TMI. And dh had his "V" on Friday. The two of those together has really gotten me down. There's just so much finality to it, yk?

But why don't I make this day MORE about me?

Mothercat-We haven't done Snow Mountain and don't plan to. It costs $26 per person in addition to the parking fee. One of dh's friends went and said the lines were so long, they only got to go twice in their 2 hour period. So $13 per sledding doesn't seem like a very good deal to me. : We had enough snow last year to sled for an hour or two and we made the most of it.

#508 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 08:29 PM

Well, I have been running (well running/walking):

I have been reading along, but not posting much (since I have only been back at work for 2 days I don't want to spend too much time on the internet yet)

Gaye, I hope you had a wonderful day skiing.

HBM - Go for it! It sounds perfect for you.
#509 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 09:12 PM

jenlove, your day sounds divine, enjoy these last few months!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
so, i don't know. i don't want to injure myself but i also don't want to be a p--sy either [sorry, i SO never use that word, but ykwim].
Until i read your part in { }.. I though you were calling yourself a pansy.

Quote:
:

Mothercat-We haven't done Snow Mountain and don't plan to. It costs $26 per person in addition to the parking fee. One of dh's friends went and said the lines were so long, they only got to go twice in their 2 hour period. So $13 per sledding doesn't seem like a very good deal to me. : We had enough snow last year to sled for an hour or two and we made the most of it.
we have not done it either. I heard it was expensive, but I did not realize it was that pricey!!! I'm not paying over $150 for a day at stone mountain!

dh was talking about taking a road trip to NC to go "semi" snow skiing for teh girls to learn before we start taking them out west. we decided we would rather do that than go to snow mtn

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#510 of 1351 Old 01-11-2009, 09:18 PM

jaygee - here I am trying to shorten my stride (I'm tall and it's my natural tendency to overstride) while you're trying to lengthen yours. Wish we could trade a little bit.

jo - you are a stronger woman than I doing 10 on the TM! WTG!

HBM - ditto what everybody else said re: zumba!!!

mothercat - you've sure got some amusing animals.

poppy - sorry your run didn't go well. I hope you get this all figured out soon.

rr: 13.5 HOT and WINDY miles. Sorry to shout, but it was a whole lot of both.
I also need to apologize to every pour soul who had to witness the spectacle that is my middle aged fanny. Those shorts were way too short for that wind.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page