Dingos running in the new year! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Checking in quickly...

Abby. I'm so glad to see you and I hope that you are doing well.

Hollysmom

June's mom You'll love being part of the Dingoes!

I'm heading off to zumba in a few minutes.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#62 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 09:46 AM

Tjsmama- I am with you sista, except mine isnt running. Feels more like a truck parked on my face. I said this to Dh and he of course helpfully responded about something else he could park on my face

Plady - no idea; IT band? (ok, I guess that was an idea)

Drjen - wtg on the miles!

So forgot to mention, in all this talk about how decrepit I am , that I took dd2 to the emergency room the other night b/c she was sucking air. Ive never taken a kid to the ED, but, I have been heinously ill only 2 times in my life, both in the last 2 years, and both times dh was working and I had to get to the ED for someone else to take care of me. Same this time. On the up, though embarresing, side, dd2 improved dramatically on the car rise there, so by the time his colleagues saw us, I felt like a panicky first timer. sigh.

RR: I also have a question for the physio types, and JayGee, about Meniscus. Old story, renewed . I need to take more action than just intending to get strong, as that isnt happening, and may or may not help. What I want to know is; if I see someone, do I see a PT or sports medicine doc first? Dh suggests not seeing an ortho as they are surgery skewed. I want to know the statistics on people returning to running without surgery, b/c if I *need* it, I want to get it done sooner than later, but if I dont, I would be encouraged by numbers that say so. The other question is; Jaygee, you did have surgery? Am I remembering that you too have a tear (or two?). What did you do, what were you told, etc? What was your course and path to recovery?

Also, I have suspected that the pain in my achilles/Soleus area is from lack of flexibility in my calf and hamstring. So last night, I gently stretched my calf, both muscles (soleus and the other one ) and ankle, and today my leg hurts! So now what?

(fwiw: I was up to c25k week 2 a month ago and didnt have pain in knee or achilles, and was feeling strong... on the TM. But I ran into the grocery store from the car this week and my knee felt it the next day ; ay caramba....)

This year marks 25 years since the year of my first official run. I am missing it more than I think I realized. Must. Get. This. Resolved.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#63 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 10:01 AM

Great job on the miles DrJen!

HBM - enjoy your zumba

JayGee

While walking on the treadmill I felt my hip/knee today. I had been debating running tomorrow but now I'll wait until next week. I think I'll use a Higdon plan for the mini. I looked at smart coach and one other that I was liking because they looked like 'more'. I liked that before this ugly injury/soreness. My current thinking is to be careful.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#64 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 AM

Morning!

I am up and boiling some eggs for breakfast so I can be all set for yoga at the Y at 8:15. I get to try out my new unitard that I bought from Gaiam for $20. I will wear pants over it, but it'll keep my top in place with this belly of mine.

DrJen ~ I also recommend Body for Life for lifting. It's a great program!

Vegan ~

Cornflake ~ Woohoo!!! :

june'smom ~ Where are you in WI? I'm in the southern part of the UP right on the border of WI.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#65 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 10:35 AM

Good Morning Dingos (note preferred spelling) !

Dr Jen, amazing mileage for the year! I'm so impressed. And motivated to track my yearly running mileage. So far ~ 6 . And you made me GULP when I read that the mini is only 17 weeks away. I'll have to check on the Smart Coach from RW for my training plan. Paces help.

I am officially back "on track" with my eating. Three days without bingeing. Yay me! And no wheat for 3 days too! Double Yay me! I guess this bingeing thing is an eating disorder. I've been doing it for so long (at least 20 years). It's a monkey I'd definitely like off my back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkletruck View Post
The other question is; Jaygee, you did have surgery? Am I remembering that you too have a tear (or two?). What did you do, what were you told, etc? What was your course and path to recovery?
Sparkletruck, yes, I've had menisectomies in both knees. The first was injured in a ski accident in 1996 and the pain from loose cartilage in my knee was constant and excruciating. I couldn't bend my knee if it was straight or straighten it if it was bent. I also tore my ACL in the same accident and they repaired it all at once so the recovery on that was much longer (about 4 months of PT 3x a week). Then I tore my right meniscus. The MRI report read that my meniscus was "macerated" so they took out a huge part of cartilage there. That surgery was done in January 2001 and I was back to normal in about a month. Of course, I got pregnant right after that. Menisectomy is a pretty fast recovery. My right knee gives me no pain at this point. The left is occasionally sore when I get out of allignment. I have early signs of osteoarthritis on MRI and the ortho told me to stop running. I say that if it doesn't hurt, it's all good. I figure I'll need a knee replacement eventually, but I may as well run and enjoy it while I can. My ortho doesn't like me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
JayGee
Mommajb

I hope you can get your injury sorted out. Any chance you could come to Bloomington 1x a week to swim? I can't remember if you have a Y membership, but if you do, it's reciprocal at our Y and you could swim with me!

No running today. We're heading up to Indy to do a little shopping (DS got a Toys R Us gift card for Christmas that he's chomping at the bit to spend).

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#66 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 11:08 AM

jenlove, you are like pregnancy poster girl! It is so awesome that you are treating yourself and your baby so right.

yesterday on my run dh called and said that a friend of ours had killed himself that morning. dh is pretty broken up about it today (they were pretty good friends) and I am so sad for my friend, who is now a 36 year old widow. he had a history of manic depression but was on meds and there were no indications. so please keep them in your prayers/thoughts, he had two little kids.
#67 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 11:22 AM

Indy Mini Runners~Open house to all of you here. I would love to have all of you for dinner or to stay over night /weekend what ever you need. We have a small house but will do our best to accomodate any/all Dingos (love that most like the spelling this way ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
4 miles from home to a friend's house for dinner. I listened to David Sedaris on the way, and the trip went quickly. We had a fine evening with a little too much food.

DD wants to go running with me tomorrow (1.5 miles) and then 5 on Saturday. Eeeps. It's been ages since I did 5 miles.
you can do it!! That's exactly where I've been and I just kept creeping up on 4, 5, then more mileage. If you did 4 last night, you'll do great tomorrow!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
Hmm. Maybe I'm missing something. I've searched user names, I've searched real names, nothing. Keeps coming up as no results found...
I had trouble finding everyone too. I'm Lisa A. I think if that helps. I'll look for you on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Good Morning Dingos (note preferred spelling) !

Dr Jen, amazing mileage for the year! I'm so impressed. And motivated to track my yearly running mileage. So far ~ 6 . And you made me GULP when I read that the mini is only 17 weeks away. I'll have to check on the Smart Coach from RW for my training plan. Paces help.

I am officially back "on track" with my eating. Three days without bingeing. Yay me! And no wheat for 3 days too! Double Yay me! I guess this bingeing thing is an eating disorder. I've been doing it for so long (at least 20 years). It's a monkey I'd definitely like off my back.

Sparkletruck, yes, I've had menisectomies in both knees. The first was injured in a ski accident in 1996 and the pain from loose cartilage in my knee was constant and excruciating. I couldn't bend my knee if it was straight or straighten it if it was bent. I also tore my ACL in the same accident and they repaired it all at once so the recovery on that was much longer (about 4 months of PT 3x a week). Then I tore my right meniscus. The MRI report read that my meniscus was "macerated" so they took out a huge part of cartilage there. That surgery was done in January 2001 and I was back to normal in about a month. Of course, I got pregnant right after that. Menisectomy is a pretty fast recovery. My right knee gives me no pain at this point. The left is occasionally sore when I get out of allignment. I have early signs of osteoarthritis on MRI and the ortho told me to stop running. I say that if it doesn't hurt, it's all good. I figure I'll need a knee replacement eventually, but I may as well run and enjoy it while I can. My ortho doesn't like me...

Mommajb

I hope you can get your injury sorted out. Any chance you could come to Bloomington 1x a week to swim? I can't remember if you have a Y membership, but if you do, it's reciprocal at our Y and you could swim with me!

No running today. We're heading up to Indy to do a little shopping (DS got a Toys R Us gift card for Christmas that he's chomping at the bit to spend).

What store and when ? I could meet up with you? If not, let's schedule some runs to do together (any other dingos welcome too). My email is my user name here at gmail.com Way to go on the eating, I need to get back on track. I'm going to the grocery today to help with that since all we have in the house is junk food from the holidays (that other families gave us).

RR: getting on the TM after another cup of coffee (slept in today), maybe 6 miles.

We received the tv (cable maybe?) series of man vs wild and it is awesome! I watched 4 episodes with the family yesterday and then another 3 episodes after the kids went to bed.
#68 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 11:27 AM

Mamabeth~ I am so, so sorry to hear of your friend, how aweful.
I wanted to thank you for the shout out for my mileage, you made me feel :.
#69 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 11:34 AM

MB, so sorry. that is so sad

I start running today. I'm following Hal Higdon't novice 10K plan. I'm really hoping that 2 months of serious cardio calsses and spinning has improved my HR and oxygen use so I can run longer than I could 2 months ago.

I have a question about following training plans. How important is it to do the recommened workout on teh specific day? Like, can I switch a cross training workout (NOT *that* kind with a 3 mile run every once in a while if it fits my schedule better? And if I feel like I didn;t master a week, should I repeat it before moving on? As long as I go somewhat in the order of th elisted workouts, should I be okay? My plan is to complete this 8 week workout in 10-12 weeks. thoughts?

I'm really struggling with food lately. I just can't wrap my mind around teh thought of measuring and then tracking everything that I cook and eat. It is a mental mountain for me, but I think my caloric intake is my weight loss problem. I wish I wan't so frickin hungry all of the time. rant over

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#70 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 11:45 AM

mamabeth for your friend. to you.

You mamas dealing with injuries, here : healing...healing...healing...
My problems are "all in my head." : And I guess that's an OK thing, considering the alternatives.

RM, have a great run. I'd say "race ya," but...well...

We're having a good "vacation," all things considered. Lots of cooperation and agreement going on. I've been cooking nice dinners, dh has been more or less helpful, and he's not letting the TV be the babysitter all day every day. Good stuff. Kids are playing together, indoors and outside. Our snowblower is broken again and we need to order a part. My hope is that it comes in, and dh gets it replaced, before another big storm comes blowing through.

I'm going to run short and easy today (3?), and tomorrow I'll try for distance (8). I wrote 1000 words in an hour last night, so that gives me hope that I could actually manage 5000 a week over the cold months, as long as I can keep it a priority. I am hoping, between having the basic plot outlined on paper and writing as close to daily as I can, the practice picks up momentum. Thanks for all the advice and wisdom here. All you thesis-writers and dissertators have truly helped me. : Thank you.
#71 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 12:05 PM

Good zumba class today. It was pretty hard and I'm yucky sweaty.

Gigi-I use training plans as a guide. I don't sweat it if the days don't work out exactly the same. I use them to give me an idea of the mid-week mileage for which I should aim and how long my long runs should be.

MB- to you and S and also to B. I woke up in the middle of the night last night thinking about her.

Jaygee-Glad the eatings going well. Happy shopping!

Jo-Great job on the writing

RM-We love Man vs. Wild. Mmmmm Bear! If you like that, check out Survivorman also.

Jenlove- You are a brave woman to wear a unitard at the end of pregnancy.

Jess-glad your dd is better. That sounds scary.

Not sure what the plan is today, but I'm going a little still crazy. It's raining, so that limits our cheap/free choices.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#72 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 12:12 PM

beth - how sad, i am so sorry

jo - i'm coming here for inspiration to hit the tm and i think your casual mention of doing 8 tomorrow just did the trick! i'm still not past 5. base building, base building, base building....right? right! i can do this.

cornflake -

geo - i love love love david sedaris. what were you listening to?

do y'all know we have a dingo group on daily mile too?
the group that mamabeth set up is called 'Naughty Dingoes (MDC)'

alright, enough procrastination...TM here i come...

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#73 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 12:35 PM

mamabeth so sad about your friend. Suicide is such a difficult loss. We have lost a couple very close family members this way. Prayers to you and their family.

Indy Mini mamas- I am looking at doing a half the same day. When will you start training and what programs are you using? It would be fun to have a team to train with. My longest run was the 10 miler I did last year. I know I need a goal to push myself and I thought it would be cool to train for a half with my new garmin.

We are heading off to the Field Museum-my mom gave us a membership for Christmas. I'm so excited.
#74 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 12:38 PM

mamabeth~ and

sparkle~I really believe (and my experience over the past 10 years of working with athletic injuries has been) that the idea that orthos cut first and ask questions later is an old school myth. Maybe in the past, but I really don't think that's the case anymore, at least not for most orthos, and especially not for the good ones. I spent a good 6 months trying different things for my knee before the idea of surgery was brought up as a last resort. That said, it really *is* the best treatment for a meniscus tear. It's just not gonna heal itself. On rare occasions, you will get a tear that doesn't hurt or only rarely causes problems and those are the ones that can go without repair. But unfortunately, if you have a meniscus tear, and that's what's causing you pain, I really don't think you have an option as far as resolving the pain except for surgery. Believe me, I understand your reticence, but barring a miracle, it's not going to go away with conservative treatment like PT, injections, rest, etc. Like jaygee said, it's typically a very quick recovery, and if it's anything like my surgery was, I didn't even have much pain during recovery. Sorry not to have better news.

ct~the training plans can definitely be used as guides. I tried to hit all the activities for the week, but I almost always changed the days up, and if I didn't hit all the midweek activities, it was ok as long as I hit the long run. I was sick one week and pretty much didn't do anything, and I just moved on, but if I had had extra time, I probably would have repeated the week.

My sinus drainage is completely out of control. It's ridiculous. I cancelled my PT appointment this morning because I just don't feel right about sharing my germs with the world. So I guess it will be yet another day of sitting around like a lump. I'm SO over this.

On the daily mile thing, I swear I searched for every variation of everything I could think of last night...like I said usernames, real names, dingoes, dingos, mdc, nothing was coming up. I had confirmed the account, too. Maybe I'll go try again. Not that I have anything to report anyway...

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#75 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 01:05 PM

2 mi done on treadmill.

gaye - i found you and sent a friend request. you can then see all of my dingo friends and add them that way

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#76 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 01:33 PM

just now subbing.

Got back from a week long vacation in Florida this morning at 5. We started driving yesterday at 8:45am, so it was good time. It was an okay trip, we saw my mom's whole family and all stayed in one house. My mom and I have a hard time being around each other that long but I didn't get upset until the last night though at least. There are just some issues that will never be resolved it seems.

For this years goals

- track mileage, run at least 3x/week
- I'm giving up soda
- Start strength training and yoga or pilates
- Blog 3x/week

Happy New Year Dingos!! :
#77 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 02:22 PM

I just totaled my Garmin miles for 2008: 831. I wish I had a way of tallying my TM miles too. Ah well, I guess that's what the training log will be good for this year. Still, 831 isn't too shabby. I'm just curious to know if it's over 1000 with the TM.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#78 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 02:25 PM

YAY, I found dingoes on daily mile! : Thanks, poppy!

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#79 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 02:33 PM

Ash ~ What's your blog address?

HBM ~ Well, like I said I wore pants over it. I mostly wanted a yoga unitard so that my shirt wouldn't creep up and be uncomfy. It was well worth my $20. And it's black... it's slimming, right?

Jo ~ You sound like you're in a good place with writing and running.

mamabeth ~ I doubt I'm a poster pregnancy girl, but I try. Thanks for the compliment.
Also, I am very sorry to hear about your DH's friend. How sad. Sending love and light to his young family.

Yoga was perfect this morning - great stretch and it always makes my hips/pelvis feel so much better.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#80 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 03:04 PM

Thanks mamas....I think we were in shock yesterday and now it's setting in. I have not seen dh this upset in a long time....he keeps thinking of things that our friend said this weekend (very mundane things, seemingly) and it is really hard for him...he is a "saving" kind of person. anyway thanks for your thoughts.

Gigi, for a 10K training plan it shouldn't matter except for your long runs. If it says to take a day off before it, make sure you actually take a day off (even if you feel sluggish that day). It will help with recovery afterwards the next day. How fun to run the p'tree with the Atl mamas! And anybody else who wants to join us! should we all get matching outfits? check my blog for my new favorite skort. I bought two already, and I hardly ever do that.

my mom is coming tomorrow for dd's birthday and I need to clean the upstairs...it was already trashed and then dd (and buddies ) finished the job last night. But MAN it was nice to have them all go play!
#81 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 03:30 PM

: I have a RR :

I walked on the tm for .15
Then I ran 2, started w/ incline at 2.5, but every .33 lovered it .5 until I was flat. ran at 5.0 to 5.2 mph
then I did intervals for 1 more mile. I did it based on HR, so I'd run at 6.0 until my HR hit my AT, then I'd walk at 4.0 until I recovered to mid zone 1. The intervals ended up being about 2 min each.

Anyay, the whole thing tool about 40 minutes, and I felt great doing it, and I feel good now too.

I'm not sure if I've shared my new fave mid-workout recovery drink. 4oz apple juice, 12 oz water, 1t of expensive sea salt. I love it.

MB, I ran in a skirt today, I'll need to go look at your blog. I'd love to match for the Ptree, and for that one, I'd perfer a tank top... if we end up picking a specific style or whatever.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#82 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 03:34 PM

ashley, I gave up coke (southern term for all soda drinks, diet or not). It was 100 times easier than I imagined it woudl be. HTH

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#83 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 03:38 PM

Beth, . I am so sorry for your loss. We lost someone in our extended community to suicide just before Christmas, and even though it wasn't a close friend it was so perplexing and made us so sad.

All involved are in my prayers.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#84 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 04:04 PM

Beth, I am so sorry for your loss.
#85 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 04:19 PM

RR: went to the grocery this morning and just now got off the TM. it allowed me to watch my soap opera that I haven't seen in forever (but you can always pick them right back up ) I find that I run better/faster with no tv though, which is fine. 6 miles in 51 minutes, felt good. push ups now and off to shower.
#86 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 04:25 PM

Happy New Year Dingos!

: Finally subbing (but somehow posted this under old thread and had to go back and delete it... )

Totally missed the end of the Dec thread, but finally back from vacation and settling back in.

We had a great time visiting ILs and I got to visit Geo!!! That was fun, no pics of us this time, but here is one of the kiddos. Nora insisted on "reading" to Geo's DD and DS They ate a bunch of Shanti cookies and ran around and played

We had a good visit with family, but so glad to be back home

Beth - Will be thinking about you!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#87 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 04:33 PM

mamabeth - I'm so sorry.

RM - I : Man vs. Wild, too, mostly just because Bear Grylls is hot.

Cathtoria - Yay! You sound like you feel awesome!

RR: 3 slow TM miles.
#88 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 07:13 PM

mamabeth. What a rough time all around.

CathToria - that sounds like a great run. Congrats! Your recovery drink sounds tasty.

JenLove, you really are doing great at this pregnancy thing. I can't wait to hear how you do in the next few months with delivery and recovery and back to fitness. It really is inspiring to see take such good care of yourself and your little one.

I am so pathetic at regulation pushups but I keep trying. That is how I will get better.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#89 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 07:36 PM

My neighbor asked me to run 10 miles with her tomorrow. I LOVE company on a long run. I love company on any run, for that matter. But 10 miles! We'll have plenty of time to catch up. (Maybe I should reconsider that second glass of wine tonight?)

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#90 of 1351 Old 01-02-2009, 09:11 PM

Sounds like there's some good forward motion going on!

mamabeth-thanks for heads up on the skort! I had a coupon from sierra and they ended up being just over 6.00. Unfortunately, I won't be able to wear them for a few months unless I run inside.

Hoping to report some milage tomorrow.

Jo and towsmama I am impressed with the milage you have planned. I always have to ease back into it. I'm a really baby about adding miles until I get to 6.

Take Care all

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page