Dingos running in the new year! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 1351 Old 01-03-2009, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RM, sorry I didn't see your message. DH took the computer into Best Buy for a new sound card yesterday morning and we didn't get it back until today. We went to the TRU in Greenwood. I would have loved to have met up with you . Maybe next time.

I ran 10 miles with my group this morning. The run felt great, and I "took back the trail" where the assault occurred a few weeks back.

I just spent 2 hours undecorating the house. The tree is still up until the 6th though, as per Lutheran tradition !

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#122 of 1351 Old 01-03-2009, 05:50 PM

yes, no more ice cream in teh house. We (me and my mom) bought it at Costco before Chrsitmas for a dessert.. of course, since it was Costco, it comes in a 2 half gallon pack.......

No Fm today. I used up all of my gym child care this week, adn I forgot that dh was going hunting today (a rare occurance for him). I'm a little sore, espec my obliques ( : ) from my run yesterday. I did do wii fit today, but IMO that does not count

I'm not loving daily mile.... anyone know how to edit a date after it's entered?

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#123 of 1351 Old 01-03-2009, 06:01 PM

modmom~How'd it go with the Garmin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post
I did it. I was sweaty so I took off my hat. Then my hair froze....

Intense, but not as intense as posting pictures of a necklace made of runner's toenails. :
Wow. Those are both pretty intense. Toenails?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLove View Post
Random ~ I went to dailymile.com just to peek at it (not like I'm putting in any miles), but was watching the side scroller with pictures and runs listed. Guess who I saw? Our own towsonmama!!
Well, shucks!

callie~Weekly mile is better than Zero mile!

rr~My neighbor and I had a great 10 mile run today. I really like that distance. Far enough to be challenging but not enough to wipe you out for the day.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#124 of 1351 Old 01-03-2009, 06:13 PM

Wow. A toenail necklace. Pretty soon I might be able to do that. My feet are feeling the old shoes. I have two black nails and a blister. I almost stopped at the running store to replace them since it's really close to groceries for me, but I truly didn't have time today. I was picking up my kids and groceries and coming home to start cooking a giant moroccan-style authentic couscous. The meat is in the pot, browning, and I am taking a sitting break.

I ran 8mi at an average pace of waytoofast per mile and I just. want. to. sleep. Definitely felt myself breaking through this morning. Kinda like : but now I am wasted and have no tolerance for any kind of noise--no, let's say sound. Not a migraine exactly, more like a nervous breakdown. :

And in two hours the house will be full of kids and...sounds.

At least I made my running goal. And tomorrow is a rest day, so that the breakthrough can stick.
#125 of 1351 Old 01-03-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
RM, sorry I didn't see your message. DH took the computer into Best Buy for a new sound card yesterday morning and we didn't get it back until today. We went to the TRU in Greenwood. I would have loved to have met up with you . Maybe next time.

I ran 10 miles with my group this morning. The run felt great, and I "took back the trail" where the assault occurred a few weeks back.

I just spent 2 hours undecorating the house. The tree is still up until the 6th though, as per Lutheran tradition !
Hey no problem, I figure it was worth a try but that you might have already left. I live literally, 2 miles from there on County Line Rd.!!

No run today, got up late and down to my Dad's to take care of my GM and talk to him about his love life. Now I must shower as we are heading out to church in an hour. I hope for around 3 miles for tomorrow and some other exercises. trying to fit it all in!
#126 of 1351 Old 01-03-2009, 06:36 PM

Hang in there, Jo.

Question: I have $25 to spend at Barnes and Noble. I was thinking about Chi Running but don't know what else. Omivore's Dilemma; Run Less, Run Faster? Suggestions would be wonderful!

callie~You used FIRST for your mary right? Is it a waste of money to buy the book?

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#127 of 1351 Old 01-03-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
On Food and Cooking By Harold McGee
#128 of 1351 Old 01-03-2009, 07:02 PM

JayGee, I just looked again and actually saw you took back your trail. WTG! I sometimes wonder whether I should really be running with pepper spray when I am out on the roads. I am glad you got back out so soon.

I am enforcing rest/quiet time on my kids just so I can have a couple minutes of no noise. Feels good. Aaahhhhh.

If I had $25 for B&N...I'd probably get some kind of real-food cookbook. How to Cook Everything, maybe...or some giant vegetarian volume.
#129 of 1351 Old 01-03-2009, 07:04 PM

don't buy the omnivore's dilema - i have a copy if you want it.

btw, hi all - i'm back :

happy new year!
#130 of 1351 Old 01-03-2009, 07:25 PM

katie~pm'ing you

#131 of 1351 Old 01-03-2009, 07:29 PM

kate~mom! Good to see you!

I am SO excited, you guys. H finally got rid of the foosball table in the study, so I have room to DO something in there! Well, it's down in the garage and still needs to be sold, but at least it's outta there! It's his office, but we're making it a playroom as well. We had to do something after all the toys DS got for xmas started taking over the living room. We went to Target today and got a bunch of storage shelving stuff, and I just weeded through and pulled out the toys that he's too old for/never plays with. There should be plenty of room for all the toys, plus we got a drawer thing to store some of my miscellaneous crap, plus room in the corner for my bosu/foam roller/bike trainer! :

And once again, no exercise here today. I am really starting to feel like a slug. I think I maybe could have done it today, but the snot/cough/throat crud held me back. I haven't done anything since Christmas day. And I have a race in two weeks. Oh well, I hopefully should at least be able to do as well as the last one, although I'd hoped to actually "race" a little in this one. Definitely tomorrow, one way or another...I'm SO jealous reading about all of your awesome runs that you're having. And I'm wondering if I even have time left to train for the half at the beginning of April. I know I started later than this last year, but I also had a fully intact base and could easily go out and run 3-5 miles, which I can't right now.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#132 of 1351 Old 01-03-2009, 08:22 PM

karyn - i did use FIRST, but didn't buy the book. I just did all the runs as prescribed, (they are tough!), and then tried to do intense cross training on the other days - mostly biking, also walking, weights, or yoga. I think in the book they really emphasize biking or swimming on the cross train days

the "next time," my plan is to adapt that plan, but cut out the intervals and do 4 days instead... like
mon-easy run
tues-marathon pace run
thurs-long tempo run (these I think were what really help get you in shape in FIRST)
sat - long run
or something like that...

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#133 of 1351 Old 01-03-2009, 08:26 PM

towsonmama I had a good run but did not have the garmin set to gps.

I figured out what I did wrong so I hope to get out tomorrow. I'm not so good at reading manuals more of trial and error gal.
#134 of 1351 Old 01-03-2009, 08:36 PM

I am trying to catch up here. I did walk this morning and once again 'felt' my tight hip/glut/hamstring or whatever but I am working on it. When I signed up for the mini I was so confident, only thinking about time. Now I am wondering how long it would take me to walk a 5k. I don't know how to get my courage back up and here it is time to start training if I use a 16 week plan. I just realized the Gaye posted similar to this.

JayGee - I am so glad you took back the trail. Jo, I would not run with pepper spray. Unless you run with it unlocked, ready to spray in your hand the chances of protecting yourself with it are slim. We can run smart, stay aware of our surroundings, go with our gut instincts and that is about it. This is very personal to me. We can make all the right decisions and still be assaulted/raped. Even if we look back and wish we had made smarter decisions all we can do is apply it to the future. Usually our mistake is when we do something to be 'nice' to somebody and realize even at the time that it isn't smart. I'll climb down now.

I haven't been back to daily mile since I signed up. I am Jennifer B and I think I joined the dingo group. There are 2 Jennifer B's right? I'll try to find myself and add some other qualifying info. I'll be more inclined to use it if I run someday soon.

Anybody else going to get crazy cold? The forecasters are saying the Ohio River may freeze here later this month. ::

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#135 of 1351 Old 01-03-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
I would not run with pepper spray. Unless you run with it unlocked, ready to spray in your hand the chances of protecting yourself with it are slim. We can run smart, stay aware of our surroundings, go with our gut instincts and that is about it. This is very personal to me. We can make all the right decisions and still be assaulted/raped. Even if we look back and wish we had made smarter decisions all we can do is apply it to the future. Usually our mistake is when we do something to be 'nice' to somebody and realize even at the time that it isn't smart. I'll climb down now.
I think of this often and I think some of the best advice sounds very similar to this and it came from the Runner's World book. The Guide to Running or something, I can't remember the title. After reading what they had to say, I now hold my head up and look at or above people that I come across. I used to look down at the ground, so as not to engage, but they suggest that looks like weakness. They also suggest to RUN if someone tries to get you in their car since a moving target is much more difficult to shoot or manage or whatever.
ETA: I just wanted to say congrats to Jaygee for taking back the trail! I think it's so awful what happened and since you posted about it has made me think twice about hitting our trails [that I don't even know that well to begin with]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb
I haven't been back to daily mile since I signed up. I am Jennifer B and I think I joined the dingo group. There are 2 Jennifer B's right? I'll try to find myself and add some other qualifying info. I'll be more inclined to use it if I run someday soon.
i'm the other one! i signed up as poppywise but i notice it always shows people's names and last initial. i am the one listed as being in SF.

geo - ewwwww.

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#136 of 1351 Old 01-03-2009, 10:12 PM

So do I need to email everybody to invite them to the dingo group? not a problem if you email me first bethbirk at G mail dot com. I like the daily mile...it has some quirks but I think it is pretty new so hopefully they will work them out.

I ran 16 miles today and I am beat. It was a good run but then my family got here to eat (oh, did I EAT! awesome Mexican food at my favorite restaurant near us) and then I had to go preach and they just left. :yawning: take care mamas, I am off to bed SOON.
#137 of 1351 Old 01-03-2009, 11:29 PM

Great run, mamabeth!

#138 of 1351 Old 01-03-2009, 11:59 PM
bec

So, I gained 3 pounds on my trip to NYC. And, I decided to go back onto phase one for a few days to get my cravings under control. But, I'm feeling back on track. I didn't get out to run today, but I did get the tree down, and Christmas stuff put away, plus the new play kitchen my parents got the kids built. I also got to have a nice visit with a neighbor. She's German, and she was challenging me to speak it with her (I took it in high school, but am very shy about trying it out). It was a lot of fun.

But, I will get out tomorrow! I am wanting to get as much running in as I can before my surgery! I know this is necessary, but am really not wanting the down time from running. I am going to spend the month reading Chi Running thoroughly, and really getting myself psyched up for the year to come.

Oh, wanted to say a big congrats to Jaygee for taking your trail back! And I agree with mommajb about how to carry yourself when out running (or anytime, for that matter).

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#139 of 1351 Old 01-04-2009, 01:03 AM

geo - You're hair froze? Yikes. I wouldn't have left the house!

mamabeth - wtg on the 16! Mexican food after a long run is my absolute favorite. I love it anytime, but after all that running it tastes SO much better.

bec - you must be a lot younger than me, because I can hardly remember any of the spanish I learned in high school. Or maybe I just have a really bad memory.

So I'm supposed to run long tomorrow but I think I can feel myself coming down with the cold that everybody in my house has had this week. Rats. I thought I was going to escape it.
#140 of 1351 Old 01-04-2009, 01:52 AM

cornflake - sorry you're feeling sicky, hope it passes soon

so i am supposed to do a 6 mile LR tomorrow, which will be the longest i have run in a long time. i feel good except my right calf is still sore from running on friday. i've been using THE STICK™ on it but i just don't know.

at what point do i decide to run and at what point to i bail so as not to injure myself? i'm really bad at figuring that kind of stuff out.

i still plan to see an orthopedic doc because of my ankle problem but have been waiting until after the holidays to sort it out. my aches/pains are always on my right side, so something must be off.

anyway, i'm going to attempt the 6 miles and hope for the best!

mom to ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif and dd (9) hearts.gif

#141 of 1351 Old 01-04-2009, 02:43 AM

Geo--WTG! It was about that cold here and I didn't have that kind of motivation.

Mamabeth--16, nice! Also, I send you a message on Daily Mile about an invite to the group. Let me know if you need it via email instead please.

JayGee--glad you're taking back your trail.

Cornflake--hope the cold doesn't last too long.

RR: put in 3 on the TM tonight and then did some hand weights and ab exercises.

Mostly I've been a bum. My new laptop arrived today, so I was playing around with it and mostly importing new music into iTunes. (My phinishing gift was an iPod Nano, but my laptop was too old to run the version of iTunes that works with the iPod. It was time for a new laptop anyhow though. And, this gives me a chance to get a new version of Word installed on it before the semester begins. I teach online and have had to ask ever-increasing numbers of students to save and resubmit assignments as a ".doc" instead of a ".docx" ).

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#142 of 1351 Old 01-04-2009, 09:31 AM

How am I going to do a long ride today? I'm supposed to get 3-4 hours on the singlespeed but cant do it early AM because my parents are here and are leaving. Then at 10 I have to go with the family on a 6 hour trip to get our new dog. Then we'll have the new dog. I just don't know when to get it done...
#143 of 1351 Old 01-04-2009, 09:39 AM

I don't know when you'll be able to ride, Mandy. But, a new dog?! Cool! What kind???? Can you break your ride into 2? I sometimes do that when I have to ride long ~ ie 1 hr now, 2 hrs when you get home? Maybe half outside, half trainer?

cornflake ~ I hope you can kick that cold before it develops .

poppy ~ happy 6 miles today! You can do it!

bec ~ I love speaking (very poor) German! My Mom and I do it all the time when I visit her.

Okay, so running 10 miles yesterday when I haven't done more than 7 since the half in November was not a good idea. I am SO SORE this morning. Today is definitely a total day off for me.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#144 of 1351 Old 01-04-2009, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppywise View Post
so i am supposed to do a 6 mile LR tomorrow, which will be the longest i have run in a long time. i feel good except my right calf is still sore from running on friday. i've been using THE STICK™ on it but i just don't know.
Is the muscle sore and tight or pulled? If it's sore and tight, I'd probably run, but give myself a really long warm up (I've been lengthening mine to 10 minutes of fast walking) and stretch before you start running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realrellim View Post
Mostly I've been a bum. My new laptop arrived today, so I was playing around with it and mostly importing new music into iTunes. (My phinishing gift was an iPod Nano, but my laptop was too old to run the version of iTunes that works with the iPod. It was time for a new laptop anyhow though. And, this gives me a chance to get a new version of Word installed on it before the semester begins. I teach online and have had to ask ever-increasing numbers of students to save and resubmit assignments as a ".doc" instead of a ".docx" ).
Be careful with that version of Word. Can you keep the previous version on the computer was well? (I know you can on a Mac, but I don't know what kind of computer you have). A lot of journals and funding agencies are refusing documents made in that version of Word, and not everything that it does is backwards compatible. I also require students submit as pdf only.
#145 of 1351 Old 01-04-2009, 10:02 AM

parents are gone already. never again will i approve a visit so close on the heels of a long holiday. we just saw them and just spent serious time with family, there was definitely family ennui.

i'm eating a quick breakfast and then i'm going to get on the trainer. it's not yet over 10* outside and it will likely be dark by the time we get home. So maybe i'll do a second trainer session this afternoon/evening. fun fun.

we're getting a rescue dog from Kentucky. He's a 5 month old Husky, shepherd, Anatolian Shepherd or something pup. We have to drive down to Albany to meet the 'transport'. It's amazing, all these volunteers moving the dogs so they can find homes. From the shelter, about 8 or 9 different volunteers take a leg of the drive.
#146 of 1351 Old 01-04-2009, 10:29 AM

Mandy ~ I hope you find time for your ride. And congrats on the new dog! Sounds like a perfect breed for you.

JayGee ~ Enjoy your day off!! Any plans?

Real ~ How fun - a new iPod and laptop!!

Good luck Poppy!

Wow mamabeth, you are getting in the miles!

Later today (probably afternoon sometime), I plan on going to the Y to get on the TM for a walk. We had freezing rain last night, and I'd rather not go out and drive until later even if the Y is only a mile or so away.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#147 of 1351 Old 01-04-2009, 11:54 AM

Mandy, I have a couple of work colleagues who volunteer for rescues and make those drives on their weekends. They place great numbers that way. Congratulations on the new addition!

Poppy, I think I just don't know anything about fixing sore muscles except time. But I have also been giving myself plenty of warmup time, especially in cold weather. Oh, ibuprofen too. That helps me.

Rest day today. I cooked a huge couscous last night for us and company. We have a bunch of couscous, vegetables and chickpeas left to eat today (carbs, anyone?) and tomorrow (lunches! back to work and school!). I think I am going to make chicken soup with carrots and parsnips. Dh wants to get back into tutoring the kids...we have so far not bought a converter box for the digital TV switch, and I am leaning hard on dh not to give in. We should be teaching them languages instead of letting them watch hours of TV each week. Small steps. We'll get there. Right now, they are cleaning out the "school" cabinet. Dh is a total TV junkie, watching whatever garbage is on whenever, and it just makes me crazy to watch them glaze over while staring at the flashing box of lights. Cross fingers.

Ice storm came through last night, so the house is covered in a layer of ice. But we still have power. I am hoping to stay in, cook soup and write.
#148 of 1351 Old 01-04-2009, 01:02 PM

jooj - I am the same about tv (as in, they dont watch, and we *only* watch "talking" when they're around, as in talking heads, like the Newshour or Stephenopolous....which they get sick of and say "no more talking!") Fortunately, dh supports me. Although, the older they get, dh has started pausing longer and longer on the snowboarding and skateboarding channels. He says its educational

Poppy - ditto the right leg. You might as well make an appt now b/cby the time you get it, and then get a referral to a PT, the holidays will be long gone

Still sick here, still waiting to start my new year, should coincide nicely with night weaning dd2 and the arrival of my new work-out clothes (that Im going to have to return half of b/c after my rush of 'f*** it!, we have no debt, I never spend money, I deserve it!...', I panicked and switched to 'crap that's a lot of money, er, I dont really need that, ok, Ill return most of it' )

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#149 of 1351 Old 01-04-2009, 02:42 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
bec - you must be a lot younger than me, because I can hardly remember any of the spanish I learned in high school. Or maybe I just have a really bad memory.
High school was 17 years ago (jeesh, has it been that long?!), but I've been listening to my neighbor speaking german for 8 years, now, and she was being very kind and slow with me. I think she was just thrilled to hear me trying to speak. Anyway, now there's going to be no living with her, she's going to totally push me! But, that's good. I'd like the kids to start learning from her, as well, and I think the best way to convince her is to talk to her myself in german!

I have a lot of post-trip cleaning tasks that I really need to take care of, on top of pre-surgery housekeeping tasks, in addition to getting the kids ready to go back to school tomorrow. I will run today, though! Must get out!

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#150 of 1351 Old 01-04-2009, 03:02 PM

I'm back from the Y and my walk on the TM. It went good today... I haven't felt that good in quite awhile.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page