Yoga Mama Tribe - Welcoming 2009 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 211 Old 01-06-2009, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, restarting this check-in

Last night I did cardio and weights then topped it off with Urban Yoga - the evening bath.

My goal is to eventually have a daily yoga practice. Right now I'm shooting for 3-5 days a week.

**Kat**
Homeschooling her 5 year old.
#2 of 211 Old 01-08-2009, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone out there?

I have been really enjoying reading past yoga mama tribe threads - I hope we can get them going again

**Kat**
#3 of 211 Old 01-08-2009, 12:34 PM

I'll join in. Right now I'm battling a killer cold, and haven't felt like doing anything, but I seem to be on the upswing, and would really like to get back into yoga. My goal right now is to start my days with 3-5 sun salutations. I'd like to get into a more intense yoga routine soon, but I need to take bitesized chunks or I won't stay with it.

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
#4 of 211 Old 01-08-2009, 06:16 PM

I have been attending yoga class at the YMCA 2 times a week and modifying it to fit my needs as my belly grows with this pregnancy. I have also been loving the Shiva Rae Prenatal Yoga dvd. I have her postnatal dvd all lined up for once Sprout arrives as well.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#5 of 211 Old 01-08-2009, 06:44 PM

Hi mamas. I hope you don't mind if I join you. I have posted here on and off for about 7 years as momsgotmilk4two but changed my name because my tandem nurslings are 7 and 8 years old and I haven't had "milk for two" in quite some time now My name is Kari and I have 3 boys. My youngest is 4 and I am nursing him

I've been practicing yoga for a couple of years now. Mostly Ashtanga, and I was doing that 3 or 4 times a week until this past summer when I had to stop going to classes because we bought a house and have a morgage now and can't really afford it. I miss my wonderful teacher but am trying to develop a home practice. I run several times a week, work out with weights twice a week, and want to incorporate a yoga practice at least once a week and go from there. Yoga really brings me that balance. I plan to do Ashtanga at home, mysore style.

I look forward to reading everyone's post and sharing in your practice

Namaste:
#6 of 211 Old 01-09-2009, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Hi ladies! So glad we're doing this

I just got Shiva Rea's Fluid Power DVD in the mail today and did Lunar Flow tonight. It was so relaxing. This is my first DVD with her and I really liked her style.

Do you ladies do just yoga or do you incorporate other forms of exercise into your week?

I'm doing other workouts occasionally but really would prefer to do only yoga (and maybe a bit of pilates). That's what I truly enjoy and would really like to further my practice. But I do have weight to lose (aesthetics aside, my breasts and belly are definitely getting in the way asanas that I did not experience pre-child). So I don't know if a daily yoga pratcice would be "enough" in that area or not.

**Kat**
#7 of 211 Old 01-09-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenSLP View Post
Do you ladies do just yoga or do you incorporate other forms of exercise into your week?
Right now I walk and lift light weights, but when the little one arrives I will be training for a sprint triathlon for early fall so I'll be biking, running, and swimming along with yoga.

#8 of 211 Old 01-09-2009, 10:51 AM

i've been doing yoga for about nine months. i started with a weekly class, and loved it so much i supplemented with dvds at home (i like rainbow mars). i take classes through my local park and rec. the last two i have taken have been vinyasa, which i like the faster rhythm of when i want to get my heart rate up. unfortunately, we have been inbetween sessions since thanksgiving, with the new one starting next week, so i have also been lagging at home! i find that the weekly class keeps me motivated, and corrects my posturing. i have been on the wagon again, and hope to keep up a daily practice. nothing, nothing gives me what yoga does.

for those of you who do other forms of yoga, would you like to compare it to vinyasa? what do you like about the yoga you do? i am interested in knowing more about how other forms compare. or rec a dvd?

i have been on a weight loss/get fit journey since may. i do cardio (usually ellipitcal), try to fit in weight lifting at the gym (with varying success due to childcare), and yoga. i have talked to a lot of folks who assume yoga is my "easy" exercise. while it does destress me, i find it quite challenging. yoga has built muscles i have never seen before in myself. hands down, yoga is my best thing. and my first class is what sparked this whole journey.
#9 of 211 Old 01-09-2009, 11:22 AM

I first did yoga when I was pg with my first, 5 years ago. After he was born, I took a Baby & Me class for a while until he got too big. I didn't get back to yoga until about a year ago. I SHOULD have gone back sooner, because in the interim I started having back issues which I have found yoga helps.
Anyway, last January I started taking a weekly class. I try to do some yoga throughout the week, but I have difficulty establishing a routine of it. But I find myself standing in Tadasana, or squatting in Mulasana, and incorporating yoga principles in other ways during my day. And as I said, it does help my back problems.
I have started thinking about taking yoga instructor training, but now that I'm pg, that will have to wait a while. I am thankful for the relief that my yoga instructors have helped me find, and when people complain about aches and pains, my first response is to suggest an asana to help.
#10 of 211 Old 01-09-2009, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugosmoma View Post
for those of you who do other forms of yoga, would you like to compare it to vinyasa? what do you like about the yoga you do? i am interested in knowing more about how other forms compare. or rec a dvd?
Hello. I've done different types of yoga and vinyassa is my favorite. I love the flow and I really get into my "yoga zone." There is a wide range of vinyassa, from quick paced to slow paced, from novice postures to arm balances. I'm currently in a vinyassa yoga teacher training course.

I also like yin yoga. Yin is very, very slow paced. Postures are held for 3-5 minutes and strech the facia as well as the muscles stretch. The Paul Grilley Yin DVD is awesome. Most forms of exercise are yang in nature, yin yoga is a chance to balance ourselves out a bit. I usually do it once a week.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#11 of 211 Old 01-09-2009, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I also like yin yoga. Yin is very, very slow paced. Postures are held for 3-5 minutes and strech the facia as well as the muscles stretch. The Paul Grilley Yin DVD is awesome.
Oh, that sounds like heaven to me. I'm off to Google that DVD.

**Kat**
#12 of 211 Old 01-09-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Oh, that sounds like heaven to me. I'm off to Google that DVD.
This is a good dvd. I have borrowed it from a friend before.

#13 of 211 Old 01-09-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugosmoma View Post

i have been on a weight loss/get fit journey since may. i do cardio (usually ellipitcal), try to fit in weight lifting at the gym (with varying success due to childcare), and yoga. i have talked to a lot of folks who assume yoga is my "easy" exercise. while it does destress me, i find it quite challenging. yoga has built muscles i have never seen before in myself. hands down, yoga is my best thing. and my first class is what sparked this whole journey.
Ashtanga is very similar to a vinyasa flow class. The difference is that it's very traditional. It's typically not done to music (although I love doing it to music) and you go through the same sequence of poses, in the same order, every time, and it includes an invocation chant and a closing chant. It's pretty vigorous and very challenging. It challenges me in ways that running does not, although I love running too. I feel very blissful after yoga, in a way that I don't after other excersizes (even though I feel good after any excersize) and it does destress me, but it is definatly not easy.
#14 of 211 Old 01-10-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisingThemLeft View Post
Ashtanga is very similar to a vinyasa flow class. The difference is that it's very traditional.
Ashtanga is a specific type of vinyasa. The same poses are done in the same sequence very time. If you are doing ashtanga, you are doing vinyasa. The best book on ashtanga (IMHO) is Power Yoga by Beryl Bender Birch. It is an excellant book, but not really a starter place for someone new to yoga.

Ashtanga has a push to do all the poses with no modifications, which makes it high risk for injuries. One should always respect their body and their body's limitations. Also, since the sequences are learned in order and one is master one sequence before moving to the next, if you just to ashtanga you'll end up doing lots and lots of forward bends but almost no back bending poses for a long time. I don't think it is very balanced way to practice.

Vinyasa means that the poses flow, but it can really be any poses done in any sequence. There may or may not be music. My favorite vinyasa yoga book is Om Yoga by Cindy Lee.

#15 of 211 Old 01-10-2009, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

How many days a week do you do yoga?

I'm shooting for 5 days a week right now but with a future goal of daily. Did Crunch's Joy of Yoga today with DD (3). She had fun

**Kat**
#16 of 211 Old 01-11-2009, 06:59 PM

Just started a daily yoga routine with my mom. We both are badly out of shape. It's amazing to see how inflexible our bodies have become! I sure hope we can work up to all that crazy stuff like the bending in half and such. I haven't been able to reach my toes... ever. lol. The workouts from the book we're following are tough... sheesh. It's the Bikrams beginning yoga.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#17 of 211 Old 01-11-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfunkyfantastic View Post
Just started a daily yoga routine with my mom. We both are badly out of shape. It's amazing to see how inflexible our bodies have become! I sure hope we can work up to all that crazy stuff like the bending in half and such. I haven't been able to reach my toes... ever. lol. The workouts from the book we're following are tough... sheesh. It's the Bikrams beginning yoga.
That's so cool that you and your mom are doing it together!

My private yoga instructor (who I haven't taken class with since the summer), is starting a group class in my area starting at the end of the month. She has offered to give me a spot even if only for a few weeks until my little one arrives - but I am so excited for it.

#18 of 211 Old 01-11-2009, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Very cool, Jen. Will it be at a studio?

I ordered 2 DVDs with old workouts I have on VHS (but haven't done in forever since our VCR is not hooked up). Bryan Kest's power yoga volumes 1-3 (I owned the first 2) and Ali McGraw's. Did hers last night - boy do I love that one.

**Kat**
#19 of 211 Old 01-11-2009, 10:02 PM

I started the year with a 21 Day Yoga Commitment. Basically doing yoga every day for 21 days. I'm doing a combo of classes, home CD's and DVD's - mostly Shiva Rea. Today I did a practice at home on my own, it was lot of hip openers, sort of yin.

I am really feeling a difference in my body even after just 11 days in a row.
#20 of 211 Old 01-11-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Very cool, Jen. Will it be at a studio?
It will be at someone's house since she doesn't have a studio. She has been teaching out of her home for over a year now and doing it all on a pay as you can basis.

#21 of 211 Old 01-12-2009, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

I also like yin yoga. Yin is very, very slow paced. Postures are held for 3-5 minutes and strech the facia as well as the muscles stretch. The Paul Grilley Yin DVD is awesome. Most forms of exercise are yang in nature, yin yoga is a chance to balance ourselves out a bit. I usually do it once a week.
Oh, it's good to hear someone talk about yin yoga. They started a yin yoga class at my gym recently, and I have yet to check it out. I might have to give it a go.

I started doing yoga in 2004, but it's always been sporadic. Since August, though, I've been doing it once or twice a week. I either do power yoga or a yoga flow. I do it at home and at the gym. I really love it. I've gotten so much stronger lately with all the weight training I'm doing, and I cannot get over how much stronger I feel doing yoga now. It just feels so good.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
#22 of 211 Old 01-12-2009, 05:03 PM

Not a mama yet, but can I join you all? I LOVE yoga, I started just two years ago and it was life changing. I loved it so much that I am working toward my teaching certification. I am not currently teaching, I have too much to do right now, but maybe in a few months I can start teaching.

Other than yoga, I am building a house (nearly three years now and that's why I have no free time ). I also try to walk the dog when I get a chance. Oh and DH and I just started the 100 pushup challenge.

I want to teach prenatal yoga and mom and baby classes.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#23 of 211 Old 01-12-2009, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome Wateraddict!

I have a lovely little head cold right now. So no yoga yesterday and I doubt today. Unless I can inspire myself to do some restorative/floor poses. Hrm....

**Kat**
#24 of 211 Old 01-13-2009, 12:49 AM

I am here. I really like the idea of this bieng on the tribe. This is a great idea and I am going to sub to this thread again. I have been really lazy this week and will start to do it again soon. I will be moving soon out of my inlaws house in feb or march once the tax refund get here. Then i will have room to practice. I wanted to set up a alter but since I am a christian how would one set up a alter for yoga practice yet still hold onto the things they believe in. I do yoga for the physical fitness part of it not the religious aspect. I hope I can still join this thread.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#25 of 211 Old 01-13-2009, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdipemomof2boy View Post
I wanted to set up a alter but since I am a christian how would one set up a alter for yoga practice yet still hold onto the things they believe in. I do yoga for the physical fitness part of it not the religious aspect. I hope I can still join this thread.
Welcome! You can make your alter any way that you want to, and then change it as you feel moved. In my yoga space, I have a big blue candle that one of my yoga teachers gave me that I light while I practice. Blue represents the 5th chakra, which is an area of interest for me. Lighting the candle helps me set the time aside from the rest of my life to turn inward. Some people like incense. You could use a statue or picture that is meaningful to you. I'd like a statue, but I haven't found the right one yet.

I find the philosophy behind yoga fascinating. There really isn't a conflict between yoga and christianity. Many of the yoga texts talk about how different concepts relate to christianity. Jesus is seen as a manifestation of god and his life and teachings of examples of divine truth. In yoga, though, others are seen as revealing truth, too. You might find some of these things take your faith deeper.

#26 of 211 Old 01-13-2009, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm in!

I do a Kundalini yoga class once a week on Saturday mornings. It's great because there is a children's yoga class at the studio at the same time, so it has become a tradition for DD (3 yo) and me.

I'm home with an 8-month old now, so I find it really hard to do yoga during the week. Ideally, I'll start doing an Anuswara class and a Bikram class during the week also.
#27 of 211 Old 01-13-2009, 02:15 PM

:

I started running just over a week ago, and added daily to my routine. I do Hatha Yoga, Easy Ground Work from yogayak.com every other day. Eventually I am going to add my Rodney Yee Abs for Beginners back in. It's a good one. A little difficult, so I'm working up some abs endurance with crunches on the days I run, along with the Hatha.

I really enjoy it so far

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#28 of 211 Old 01-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Banned

i thought that i answered in here already.

i currently practice every day for only 10-30 minutes because that's about all hawk will let me do without wanting to pull my hair and such. he's funny like that. but, my husband agreed that he will help me out by playing with the baby for longer so that i can get a longer session in. i'm used to 2-3 hrs per day (spread out), and so it's a bit unnerving to not get that much in!

i also do a lot of other activities, but most of those were for fun anyway (not for fitness purposes, though i guess they get/keep you fit!), and even they're on hiatus as well, except for walking. i walk twice a day because that's how hawk naps. he won't nap out of arms or wrap, so that's what i do. i get about 3-4 miles each nap, because it's all my pelvis/hip can handle now, but i'm working my way up to walking the whole nap time (on average, 1-1.5 hrs; he gets about 10 hrs of sleep at night plus 2-3 during the day). i'd like to walk the whole nap time and get up to 10 miles per day. that will be my longest mileage per day yet ( i used to do 5-7 per day before and during most of the pregnancy).

i hope to go rock climbing again soon.

as for how i practice, i've been practicing for a long time--since i was a child and i have started 'teaching' hawk. he does practice with me a bit, as it's good tummy time for him and i get to do a lot of good floor work!

anyway, i do vinyasa (that's my favorite). i just did a month-long stint of hot yoga classes that were bikram based and vinyasa based because i had a babysitter and could go there 6 days a week! it was great; i started to feel normal again! the classes were during his 9:30 nap, so the sitter would wrap and walk him while i was in class until 11. it was perfect. but now it's back to me walking him during his naps, and doing yoga in the am and pm as i can, and taking class whenever i have the opportunity (typically a morning class where a friend or sitter is available to walk hawk, or on the weekends when my husband is willing to do so).

i also teach 6 days a week. i teach in a variety of "styles"--vinyasa and stationary, as well as restorative similar to yin (different alignment ideology than grilley's yin), but all from the same alignment family (krishnamacharya--which is the father of iyengar, astanga, and desichar). i take hawk to class with me for all of them except for the yin=styled and live music classes. i have sitters for both of those. they are usually walking him for his nap or playing with him in the next room!

yoga is super fun.
#29 of 211 Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 PM

zoebird~ that is really cool that you are teaching Hawk. Evan has done yoga with me for a little while basically watching me and copying. Jacob loves to do sun salutations with me. He really likes downward facing dog because he always goes around the house acting like one of our three dogs so it is yet another way to play puppy. Oh and how cool to do rock climbing the most rock climbing i do is at the park they have a rock climbing wall for the kids but that is cause I am sooo scared of hights. I would love to go somewhere that goes up higher as long as I have someone on the bottom that holds me so I dont fall on my face. I have been getting walking in with the puppies and Jacob. We go walking then to the park then come home and will stretch and then at night will do some yoga before bed. i will wake up early in the morning on the weekend and do sun salutations which I try to time at around sunrise. I like to watch the sun come up in the morning.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#30 of 211 Old 01-13-2009, 10:22 PM

I want to join in here too. I havent been doing any yoga for the last few months but I really love it and want to get my butt off this computer and go do a video I have several Gaiam dvds and my hubby spoiled me on my b-day by getting me a new mat, blocks, strap and bolster. So, I have all my stuff...now I need my motivation. I was doing a daily practice for a while and it really helped my anxiety and stress.

My mil got me yoga for dummies...its an awesome book.

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page